Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,325 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? (8609 Views)

Paris Terror Attacks Is Obama And Nato's Handwork / Presidency Visiting Nairaland Daily ( Photo) / American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Bay1970(m): 9:41pm On May 16, 2009
"The President and Mrs. Obama will visit Accra, Ghana, from July 10 to 11. While in Ghana, the President will discuss a range of bilateral and regional issues with Ghanaian President Mills. The President and Mrs. Obama look forward to strengthening the U.S. relationship with one of our most trusted partners in sub-Saharan Africa, and to highlighting the critical role that sound governance and civil society play in promoting lasting development"

Ghana is American most trusted partners in sub-Saharan Africa ??
We go stop to give them our Oil, till they trust us.
America no trust Nigerian people and their Govt.
it is a shame.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 16, 2009
What a Snub to Nigeria

I love it . . . . . lol

We need to start taking life seriously

Watch out . . . . . he will speak out against bad governance and electoral robbery from their . . . . . .a direct attack on Nigeria
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by OneNaija(m): 10:51pm On May 16, 2009
Obama coming to Ghana wow that good. I cant wait to meet that guy I been praying for to win the election.Good place and good country to visit first in Africa and good history country to visit in Africa as well for obama to visit.

@Bay1970 What ur problem for Obama visit Ghana. You have never fit solve your problem you are here saying why Ghana first.obama for America problem and Mr Yara dua for Nigeria problem or are you expecting Mr Obama to solve Nigeria problem better wake up from your dream.Visiting Ghana does not make him solving the problem here in Ghana or visiting Nigeria does not solve the problem if your stupid president need advise he should go to Washington. I don't think they will ever give him a Invitation to visit White House because His 7 Agendas is rubbish.so stop saying Obama visit Ghana why.It does not make any sense to me. You should think before you post.

You dey talk sef like say Obasanjo nur dey visit Ghana.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by kosovo(m): 10:56pm On May 16, 2009
Because Nigeria is DOOMED!
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by asha80(m): 11:00pm On May 16, 2009
kosovo:

Because Nigeria is DOOMED!

Guy u harsh.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by tpiah: 11:08pm On May 16, 2009
because he wants to?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 11:17pm On May 16, 2009
So, Nigeria's future is dependent on Obama's visit? Opari!
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 16, 2009
I hope he does not come anytime soon

President Yar'adua has been lobbying to stand on stage with him for the sake of it

why will anybody take you seriously?

You want to identify with civilization without get civilised yourself.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 17, 2009
To tell you how serious this is

The Nigeria Government sent a delegation to US to lobby for a Yar'adua visit

the delegation was led by Nigeria's foreign minister and Hillary Clinton clearly told them to steer clear.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 9:23am On May 17, 2009
nigeria does not worth obama's visit at all.
we are talking about a democratically elected president visiting another democratically elected president in africa. yar adua shld be looking towards a visit from the cuban president, venezuelan president and that of zimbabwan president.
can pope visit a thief for catholic discussions? the anwer is no. yar adua and obama have nothing in common.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by ElRazur: 9:39am On May 17, 2009
Why is this an issue? It is not a [i]political insult [/i]in any way. Maybe we are reading too much meanings into this?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by egin(m): 10:12am On May 17, 2009
Because:
Nigeria is a country that cannot boast of electricity supply for 2hrs a day. In some places it is even worse.
80% or more of the population has no access to portable water.
Nothing is ever done on merit.
Unemployment is above 50%.
The road network is horrible. Lagos - Benin is a good example.
Public education from primary to university level is in state of collapse.
Hospital are places where people go to die.
Credible election cannot be conducted even in 63 wards in a state like Ekiti.
Banks launder money for politicians and drug barons.
Nigeria has probably the most corrupt and inefficient police force.
The country pays out about N2.1 trillion as compensation for political office holders with absolutely nothing to show for it except more stealing.
Nigeria is a country that is undergoing deindustrialization, eg Dunlop, Michelin and probably PZ and more.
It is a country where thieves are rewarded with chieftancy and academic titles.
What about the Halliburton and the siemens scandals.
The list goes on and on.
Feel free to add more.

Obama's visit to Ghana and not Nigeria is a snub of Nigeria and I hope somepeople will do something about this.
Meanwhile check out the this link below.

http://meniru..com/2009/05/as-obama-goes-to-ghana-nigerians-bemoan.html#links
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by nolongTing: 10:22am On May 17, 2009
He's visiting Ghana because of AFRICOM, the American administration wants to establish an army base in west Africa; rightly so Nigeria is strongly against it.  If the Nigerian government were pushovers and were happy for the U.S.A. to establish a military base in Nigeria where do you think Obama would be visiting first? But obviously, Ghana is an easier proposition, so all Obama is doing is continuing George Dubyas's policies in Africa.  The bottom line is the U.S, and the Euro Zone are concerned that China is becoming too dominant in Africa and this makes them uneasy because as far as they are concerned  Africa is nothing more than a cheap source of raw materials - nothing more.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by OneNaija(m): 10:42am On May 17, 2009
@nolongTing   Thanks you so much for your Information It is good thing to know what is purpose of coming to Ghana for.Good that is the only Good thing I see yara dua cant defend well thank to Yara dua. Nigeria don't need America Army base over there in Nigeria because they are threat to the Nation and we don't need it in Nigeria. let them go to hell with it Nigeria don't need it. Fear America they are Dangerous.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Jairzinho(m): 11:13am On May 17, 2009
nolongTing:

He's visiting Ghana because of AFRICOM, the American administration wants to establish an army base in west Africa; rightly so Nigeria is strongly against it.  If the Nigerian government were pushovers and were happy for the U.S.A. to establish a military base in Nigeria where do you think Obama would be visiting first? But obviously, Ghana is an easier proposition, so all Obama is doing is continuing George Dubyas's policies in Africa.  The bottom line is the U.S, and the Euro Zone are concerned that China is becoming too dominant in Africa and this makes them uneasy because as far as they are concerned  Africa is nothing more than a cheap source of raw materials - nothing more.

Your first point isn't entirely correct,your second point (in green) is more likely & tell me which country has the most natural resorces in w/Africa? You got it  !
Lets call a spade what it is. The population of Nigeria is more than the entire West Africa combined,if a US president is meeting a relevant player in the region it should be Nigeria.& lets say for argument sake ,he's visiting GH cos of Africom,why will Ghana get involved in such without Nigeria been able to exert any influence whatsoever

We are losing face gradually withn the comity of nations& that our  inept leadership can't see that is an even greater  shame. . . . . .  undecided cry cry cry
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by SamMilla1(m): 11:20am On May 17, 2009
Sometimes i wonder how some people talk. Why didnt you ask why Obama visited Central America Before Ghana. He can chose never to visit Nigeria and there is nothing You can do about it.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Don1DeMaco: 11:27am On May 17, 2009
Stupid Question. Why dont u go and take over the guy's travel schedule and make him visit Nigeria first. Didnt know there was arule outlining where a President needs to visit first.

Whats the significance of an Obama visiting Nigeria? E go add join the naira or help stop corruption?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 11:28am On May 17, 2009
chidichris:

nigeria does not worth obama's visit at all.
we are talking about a democratically elected president visiting another democratically elected president in africa. yar adua shld be looking towards a visit from the cuban president, venezuelan president and that of zimbabwan president.
can pope visit a thief for catholic discussions? the anwer is no. yar adua and obama have nothing in common.

hehe cheesy
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 11:31am On May 17, 2009
Topic

Is Nigeria the first country a flight from the US touches, on the West African/African soil?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 12:15pm On May 17, 2009
He's visiting Ghana because of AFRICOM, the American administration wants to establish an army base in west Africa; rightly so Nigeria is strongly against it. If the Nigerian government were pushovers and were happy for the U.S.A. to establish a military base in Nigeria where do you think Obama would be visiting first? But obviously, Ghana is an easier proposition, so all Obama is doing is continuing George Dubyas's policies in Africa. The bottom line is the U.S, and the Euro Zone are concerned that China is becoming too dominant in Africa and this makes them uneasy because as far as they are concerned Africa is nothing more than a cheap source of raw materials - nothing more.

nolongting,
i am begining to think that companies like macheline are equally leaving nigeria for ghana for the above reasons. i also want to believe that many nigerians prefer ghana to nigeria today based on ur reasons above.
no wonder many of us are fighting to get admission into ghanian universities and nigerian business men and women and struggling to relocate to ghana. any arguement about the situation in ghana today will be a blind one. things are really changing. there is a kind of about turn here which has made ppl in front to be at the back.
another point that is not worth arguing about is that america is a progressive country and based on that, they like progressives too.
ghana is on the right lane and embrassing the right ppl will always make u live like them. nigeria is embrassing sao tome and that will be the kind of ppl who will not question our actions.the much talked against aperthied in south africa is the product of south africa's position as the no 1 in africa till date.
if there is an american military base in nigeria, u will accept with me that there will not be same without electricity with which most of their gadgets work.
if i have my way, i wld want to know from u, what have we achieved as a ppl since we do not have american military base in nigeria?
it is a simple truth that nigeria as a cuntry is using the reverse gear instead of moving forward we have choosen to go backward.
ghana is overtaken nigeria so the international communities would like to associate with them. if time is not taken, nigerians will soon be paying through their ass to get ghana visa.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by phantom(m): 12:19pm On May 17, 2009
@topic, Is this a rhetorical question?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by sartorius(m): 12:28pm On May 17, 2009
Obama would mostly likely talk about democracy, since africa is just being democratised and Ghana ia a model state where it has worked, simple, Why are we complaining, he is also not going to S.A
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by sashbaby(f): 12:34pm On May 17, 2009
get your acts together and stop wyning. will yar'dua stand the intensive discussion from the vibrant US president. the world has gone passed sycophancy
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 17, 2009
He's visiting Ghana before Nigeria because Nigeria feels her priority is to build a 257 billion naira road in Abuja rather than resolve fuel scarcity and nepa.
If Obama visits Nigeria, I will swear for his future generations.,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by walata44(m): 1:22pm On May 17, 2009
Obama make a right choice by planning to visit Ghana, if it's happen that he chooses to visit Nigeria, what would be the discussion btw UMYA and Obama? may be how to rig election and perpetual 7 point agenda.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by walata44(m): 1:26pm On May 17, 2009
We go stop to give them our Oil, till they trust us

And where will your Govt get money to spend on their NO POINT AGENDA
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by manmustwac(m): 1:27pm On May 17, 2009
As things stands now in Africa, Ghana is a shining example and a beacon of hope to  black people all over the world.

The whole continent is afflicted with decrepit infrastructure, corruption, ethnic rivalry, and the likes but the most dangerous of them all is electoral fraud. From Pres Obama's native Kenya to Zimbabwe, Nigeria to south Africa, none has been spared the scourge of electoral manipulations.

But Ghana was chosen solely because of the maturity of its democracy as signposted by its superior electoral processes.

It is an indictment of other African countries were elections are a do or die affair

That is the real reason why Obama is visiting Ghana
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by sashbaby(f): 1:29pm On May 17, 2009
you can say that again. ekiti wonder
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 17, 2009
No one with 'ekiti' username on this thread.
@manmustwac, did Obama say that was the reason?
And LlOoOLlL. @perpetual seven point agenda.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 2:16pm On May 17, 2009
Majority of Nigerians are just illetrate fools - so, because Obama has chosen to go to Ghana before Nigeria, it means Ghana is already a better place than Nigeria?

What a people.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by strangleyo: 2:18pm On May 17, 2009
Good job Obama.

Obama made shots during his inauguration regarding leaders who cling on to power using unorthodox means (i.e Nigeria).

If this wake up alarm is ignored by Nigerians as in previous times, then who is to blame?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 2:20pm On May 17, 2009
strangleyo:

Good job Obama.

Obama made shots during his inauguration regarding leaders who cling on to power using unorthodox means (i.e Nigeria).

If this wake up alarm is ignored by Nigerians as in previous times, then who is to blame?

What is the meaning of what you have just said?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NNPC: "Oil Thieves Have Hijacked Political Power!" / Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW / Nnamdi Kanu's Disappearance Is Troubling. Julian Asange.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.