Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? (6016 Views)

Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G / Ambode Sacks Commissioners For Finance, Transport, Tourism / Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 7:31pm On Nov 12, 2015
Considering the fact that ogun state where the finance minister was a mere commissioner needs bailout funds, is it a good record for finance minister of the nation.?

We are in tough economic times, any mistake will drown Nigeria. Has she managed state finance well to manage the entire nation?

We are talking about money here, which will affect every one of us.

I think buhari should have swallowed his pride and invited okonjo iweala.

Investors are deserting Nigeria, to compound issues, they will see kemi as an amature and this will further scare them away.

I know most of you will say let them go we dont need them. But your eyes will soon clear when the govt borrows from the masses through bonds and other securities and is unable to pay back.

We are already running a deficit in 2015 budget, govt has to pay that off before the 2016 debt.

10 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mazeltov(m): 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
Anytime I feel like laughing, I will refer back to this thread, comic, epici and funny. The write up is clownish itself

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by ckmayoca: 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
Make she try.
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Omotayor123(f): 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
I have my doubts... Keeping my fingers crossed *
Letz hope she will Deliver!

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by IGBOSON1: 7:39pm On Nov 12, 2015
I'm happy no Igbo is heading that ministry! It's a poisoned chalice! lipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Aromas: 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2015
IGBOSON1:
I'm happy no Igbo is heading that ministry! It's a poisoned chalice! lipsrsealed
You n dis ur bad mouth ehn grin

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by merry02(m): 7:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
Pat Utome would have been the best
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 7:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
merry02:
Pat Utome would have been the best
He could not manage his bank.

15 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
mekaboy:

Bad mouth
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by ayindejimmy(m): 7:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
First, you can't take Utomi and take Kachikwu.
Secondly, what did Okonjo-Iweala' s do for us. PDP left the mess for APC to clean... And that got people blaming Buhari in just 5 months.

To answer the Ops. If we give her the leverages, she'll perform.
Ogun is not the only state that needs bail out.
What's Akwa Ibom business with bail out fund?

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Agbaletu: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2015
I wish you can visit Federal Ministry of Finance and make some enquiries about Okonjo Iweala, you will know that she did a lot of havoc to our economy. I was there today to see one of the DDs in fact, I almost wept for the country. GEJ meant well for us but okonjo was one of the people that misled GEJ. Pls try and visit the ministry and see things. God bless GEJ!
As for Kemi, let's wait and see.

13 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by simplycarro: 8:06pm On Nov 12, 2015
Okonjo Iweala was the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria economy. Okonjo Iweala was a disaster in her second coming as a minister.

8 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 8:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
ayindejimmy:
First, you can't take Utomi and take Kachikwu.
Secondly, what did Okonjo-Iweala' s do for us. PDP left the mess for APC to clean... And that got people blaming Buhari in just 5 months.

To answer the Ops. If we give her the leverages, she'll perform.
Ogun is not the only state that needs bail out.
What's Akwa Ibom business with bail out fund?

Dont get me wrong this is not a tribal issue. Because money matters affect every Nigerian.

This is about experience. yes ogun is not the only state, but i expect that the person that will handle the finance of the nation will use his or her state resources as an example. Since she was opportuned to handle the state finances.

Okonjo warned governors of both pdp and apc of the importance of saving for the rainy day. They all said they wanted to share the excess crude funds. Iguess most of them used for campaigns.

Find out how much was saved from weeding out ghost workers using biometric verification.

Find out how much less we paid in subsidy. etc.

She adviced against subsidy and Nigerians wanted to kill her and Gej. Today sanusi is saying it should be removed.

That our economy is standing at all on one leg today is because of the policies she managed to implement, if not...

Investors are already deserting Nigeria and Kemis profile wont boost investors confidence.

Soon you will hear that her ministry is spending billions on consultancy without anything to show.

5 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Ballmer: 8:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
Igbo OP I guess if tomorrow Okonjo Iweala dies tomorrow Nigeria will have to die follow her.

We're there no finance minister before her and please what exactly is the achievement of Okonjo in finance ? Was that not the woman that told us to buckle our seat belt Less than 3 months into the fall of crude prices after almost 4 years of crude sale at over $100 ?

I would rather we bring back Soludo who pioneered the economy when countries like Spain UK went down the drain. I am yet to see a single thing NOI achieved as a minister exception her supervision of the plundering of the country's finances.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by malton: 8:19pm On Nov 12, 2015
undecided Na mango?
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by maupe: 8:20pm On Nov 12, 2015
Despite the fact that Kemi is my big sister, I have to be truthful and honest. Aunty Kemi has only a first degree in economics from the University of East London, not even Oxford or Cambridge or even Kings college. She was initially an investment banker in Lagos before being made the commissioner for finance in Ogun state. She has no clout in the international business world and little or no contacts. To nominate her as a successor to NOI, is a big mistake, for those are shoes to big for her to wear. Also, these are perilous times for experimentation. In the wake of the JP Morgan delisting and the inevitable Barclays followup, what we need is someone who has friends in high places and can liase with these institutions for a common ground, Aunty Kemi does not have such influence. This was a mistake by the President. I won't be surprised if there is a cabinet reshuffle six months down the line.

14 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Okanokan(m): 8:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
I doubt it.
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Okanokan(m): 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2015
I doubt it. The President must have his reasons and at this point we cannot volunteer any opinion.

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by temitemi1(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
Their eyes go soon clear...
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by superstar1(m): 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
We are optimistic that she will perform. Though I know that some biafra-ud inclined igbos are wishing her bad luck. That is their cup of tea and mega headache.

Never judge a book by its cover. That was the way we rated Madam World Bank and alas, all was more of head knowledge than practical. She painstakingly drove our economy into this doldrum and posterity will not judge her right.

Kemi is writing her history and we are waiting to see of she will write it in gold like Dora or write in charcoal like Madam World Bank.

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 8:33pm On Nov 12, 2015
Ballmer:
Igbo OP I guess if tomorrow Okonjo Iweala dies tomorrow Nigeria will have to die follow her.

We're there no finance minister before her and please what exactly is the achievement of Okonjo in finance ? Was that not the woman that told us to buckle our seat belt Less than 3 months into the fall of crude prices after almost 4 years of crude sale at over $100 ?

I would rather we bring back Soludo who pioneered the economy when countries like Spain UK went down the drain. I am yet to see a single thing NOI achieved as a minister exception her supervision of the plundering of the country's finances.

You must be misinformed. From the first day she came into office she stressed the need to save for the rainy day. She stressed the need to cut cost of governance.

She insisted that leakages must be blocked hence the attempt to remove subsidy and biometric verification.

He relentless effort for diversification led to the reformation of the agric sector in partnership with the agric minister. The introduction of e-wallet , rice mills reducing the amount spent on importation of rice yearly by 40%.

Today bans have been lifted for rice importation by the buhari led administration,when Nigeria should be focused on export.

NOI i will say is the most hated finance minister Nigeria ever had. And we know that when Nigerian politicians hate you, it means you are doing something right.

Of all th3 accusations made against her, she defended herself and was not found guilty of mismanagement.

Even when oshiomole wanted to take loan to spoil his new found babe iyara, she refused. This has made her oshiomoles no 1 enemy.

If you are really looking for who to blame for Nigerias situation, blame the governors.

Your personal opinion about her is not the basis for all the offices she has held and is holding today. It is based on her performance.

2 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 8:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
maupe:
Despite the fact that Kemi is my big sister, I have to be truthful and honest. Aunty Kemi has only a first degree in economics from the University of East London, not even Oxford or Cambridge or even Kings college. She was initially an investment banker in Lagos before being made the commissioner for finance in Ogun state. She has no clout in the international business world and little or no contacts. To nominate her as a successor to NOI, is a big mistake, for those are shoes to big for her to wear. Also, these are perilous times for experimentation. In the wake of the JP Morgan delisting and the inevitable Barclays followup, what we need is someone who has friends in high places and can liase with these institutions for a common ground, Aunty Kemi does not have such influence. This was a mistake by the President. I won't be surprised if there is a cabinet reshuffle six months down the line.

You get the picture. There will certainly be a reshuffle.

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by sanmibukunmi: 8:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
mekaboy:

Dont get me wrong this is not a tribal issue. Because money matters affect every Nigerian.

This is about experience. yes ogun is not the only state, but i expect that the person that will handle the finance of the nation will use his or her state resources as an example. Since she was opportuned to handle the state finances.

Okonjo warned governors of both pdp and apc of the importance of saving for the rainy day. They all said they wanted to share the excess crude funds. Iguess most of them used for campaigns.

Find out how much was saved from weeding out ghost workers using biometric verification.

Find out how much less we paid in subsidy. etc.

She adviced against subsidy and Nigerians wanted to kill her and Gej. Today sanusi is saying it should be removed.

That our economy is standing at all on one leg today is because of the policies she managed to implement, if not...

Investors are already deserting Nigeria and Kemis profile wont boost investors confidence.

Soon you will hear that her ministry is spending billions on consultancy without anything to show.
Sanusi has always been a supporter of subsidy removal
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by sanmibukunmi: 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
maupe:
maupe Ogun from channels??

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by 4Play(m): 8:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
maupe:

It's one of the most underwhelming ministerial appointments I can think of for such a sensitive position and at such a sensitive time for the economy.

My preference would have been someone like Ayo Teriba or a Bayo Ogunlesi. Someone who is intellectually sound and commands respect. To think that out of all the talented people we have in that country, it's this Kemi Adeosun that we went for beggars belief.

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Chubhie: 8:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
She's coming on board with her own backroom galactic staffs. Her success lies in the kind of team she assembles.

2 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 9:03pm On Nov 12, 2015
4Play:

It's one of the most underwhelming ministerial appointments I can think of for such a sensitive position and at such a sensitive time for the economy.

My preference would have been someone like Ayo Teriba or a Bayo Ogunlesi. Someone who is intellectually sound and commands respect. To think that out of all the talented people we have in that country, it's this Kemi Adeosun that we went for beggars belief.

This is one position buharibis permitted to find members outside his party if the need arises.
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by maupe: 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
4Play:

I would have preferred a Henry Boyo or a Bismark Rewane. These men have years of experience in the Nigerian money and capital markets and know all the tricks of the Murky waters of the Nigerian economic environment.

1 Like

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Ballmer: 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
mekaboy:

If you are really looking for who to blame for Nigerias situation, blame the governors.
blaming everyone else but the guilty does make her a saint

Was it the governors that were praised for the excess crude saving during Obj era ? If they are not why should they now be blamed when the account got depleted under Okonjo ? Think before making an argument.
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by mekaboy(m): 9:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
Ballmer:
blaming everyone else but the guilty does make her a saint

Was it the governors that were praised for the excess crude saving during Obj era ? If they are not why should they now be blamed when the account got depleted under Okonjo ? Think before making an argument.

The role of finance minister is mostly to advice. She had no power to stop governors from sharing the funds in the excess crude account if they decide.

Didnt u follow the events between her and governors then?

3 Likes

Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by jaymichael(m): 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
mekaboy:

Hahahahahahaha! HE CAN'T MANAGE HIS BANK.
Abeg don't let me fall down from on top this yam tree wey I dey o.
Re: Is Kemi Really Ripe For Finance Minister? by Lanretoye(m): 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
Lemme ask kemi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Reason Why Other Tribes Don't Want Biafra / Rochas Okorocha Releases Statement On His Defection, / NASS Leadership: Why APC Accord May Crumble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.