Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

How Should A True Gentleman Behave? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Should A True Gentleman Behave? (3883 Views)

Please Help, I Am A Man But, I Behave Feminine! / Only A True Gentleman Will Know What's Wrong With This Picture / How Women Behave In Pictures Before, During And After Their Menstrual Cycle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 10:24pm On Nov 12, 2015
The first prerequisite for being a true gentleman lies in knowing how to be a man. A gentle dude is just a wuss. A gentleman is someone with a solid foundation of manhood, who has gone on to refine and culture himself and his understanding of the world beyond the minimum requirements needed to function in society. "Being a man" entails things like knowing yourself and having confidence in whatever that is, knowing your beliefs and ideals and sticking by them, bearing up well under pressure whether emotional or physical, not whining or shying away from hard work, and having the gumption to do the things that need doing, pleasant and unpleasant alike.

Being a gentleman comes into play when you incorporate such traits into how you handle the world around you, extending your sensibilities beyond yourself and becoming a man not just of strength, but of respect, grace, compassion and understanding.

A man respects himself, and a gentleman extends that respect to those around him, regardless of whether they can see it, others treat them with it, or whether they deserve it in the first place. A gentleman is cordial to a fault and by acting so brings others up to his level. A gentleman does not condescend, and never stoops to physical or verbal violence until there is absolutely no other option left. He treats others better than he expects to be treated, and doesn't become offended when his gestures are turned down or not appreciated. By the same turn, his self-respect ensures he won't continue to subject himself to anyone who demonstrates that they aren't willing to return the fundamental respect he gives them.

When it comes to his ideals and worldview, a man has the confidence to put stock in his own conclusions and to stand by them. A gentleman grounds those views not only in studied observation and self-education, but in compassion and moral reflection. He has the humility to understand that he may be mistaken or ignorant of certain factors, and thus won't presume to aggressively impose his views onto others or condescend to those who don't share them. A gentleman thoughtfully states the strength of his opinions when appropriate but refrains from proclaiming absolute truths. He is open to debate and dissent, and has the respect for others and confidence in the validity of his own arguments to not need to resort to ad hominem attacks. He is sensible enough to surround himself with a broad spectrum of views, but to only entangle himself with those who share at least his fundamental values.

[b]A man understands that life sometimes involves hard work and suffering: mental, emotional, physical, professional, and social, and that whining or avoiding it are to be looked down upon. A gentleman learns how to bear up under the demands life places on him with grace and style, and to extend that competent handling of the world to the good times. A gentleman not only does what needs doing in life, but goes above and beyond the call of duty for the sake of others and his own betterment. He opens doors for people, picks up the check, organizes the event, drives the girl who he isn't even interested in home, helps out strangers, and ignores any protests the first several times until he's absolutely sure someone doesn't wish to accept his overtures of courtesy. He constantly is trying to improve his mind, spirit, body, and standing, and wishes to help others do the same if they're at all open to it. A gentlemen is a man in constant pursuit of improving the lives of himself and those around him through courtesy, thoughtfulness, depth, and action.[/b]

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by bronzegoddess(f): 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2015
Ayam yet to meet a nigerian gentleman. Is like they are scarce

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
I have a question for you OP. Is Fela Kuti a gentleman?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Cutehector(m): 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
bronzegoddess:
so ur broda aint a gentle man? Ur dad aint a gentleman?

Its a pity we don't look within..

4 Likes

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by lilmax(m): 10:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
bronzegoddess:
what is your definition of a gentleman?
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
bronzegoddess:

Then you have been mixing with the wrong type of men.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 10:51pm On Nov 12, 2015
Brandnew2:
I have a question for you OP. Is Fela Kuti a gentleman?
No he wasnt.
He's dead by the way.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by kilode100(f): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
Wake me up when you spot one here.

No be here, those yeye boys call me fat cow? Dem still say my pussy dey Smell, dem no get respect at all.

Na Agberos full there jawe...

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
5minsmadness:
No he wasnt. He's dead by the way.
I guess you don't know Fela lives on.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by crackhaus: 11:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
Hehehehehe. .

The moment I log into Nairaland to post a comment, I purge myself totally of any gentlemanly traits if ever there was...on purpose! grin

Can't be all civil and proper in the real world and still come into the anonymity of the internet to act the same way...where's the fun in that yo! gringrin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Pidggin(f): 11:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
I am yet to come across a gentleman, do they exist?
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by crackhaus: 11:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
kilode100:
Wake me up when you spot one here.

No be here, those yeye boys call me fat cow? Dem still say my pussy dey Smell, dem no get respect at all.

Na Agberos full there jawe...
But if that pic you had on your profile was really you, then you're fat.

It was the truth, not an insult... gringrin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by bronzegoddess(f): 11:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
Cutehector:
so ur broda aint a gentle man? Ur dad aint a gentleman?

Its a pity we don't look within..

U know, when I read the post, my dad and brothers came to mind. It seems they are d only gentlemen I've ever known/met. But I'm sure u know what I really mean in my post, but u just chose to quote me to make this "smart comment" of urs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 11:13pm On Nov 12, 2015
Brandnew2:

I guess you don't know Fela lives on.
In his music, sure. In his son(s)? Maybe. But physically? Sorry dude. the man's gone.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by kilode100(f): 11:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
crackhaus:

I know say I fat, but as gentlemen, una no suppose to use am insult me.
I be human beans too.

Na Agberos full here

45 Likes

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by bronzegoddess(f): 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

Could this possibly mean every nigerian man is wrong? shocked
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 11:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
bronzegoddess:

Could this possibly mean every nigerian man is wrong? shocked
Are you saying you have gone thru every nigerian man? shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

In his music, sure. In his son(s)? Maybe. But physically? Sorry dude. the man's gone.
You don't know.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by kilode100(f): 11:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

He was really gone o.. Fela wey dey use bottle cork scratch himself.

24 Likes

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 11:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
Brandnew2:

You don't know.

Perhaps I dont. Pls enlighten me.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Cutehector(m): 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2015
bronzegoddess:

U know, when I read the post, my dad and brothers came to mind. It seems they are d only gentlemen I've ever known/met. But I'm sure u know what I really mean in my post, but u just chose to quote me to make this "smart comment" of urs.
lol u just dnt get it.. I only used ur dad and bro to let u knw dat thr are a lot of gentlemen around u. Whch u won't notice easily.. They r closer dan u think..

Wen I"m lookin for a good dwn to earth lady, she may not be found in d far ends of the earth, she may just be standing clos to me and I may be too blind to notice...

Hence my description of ur dad and bro... To let u knw dah gentlemen are closer dan u think

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by crackhaus: 11:32pm On Nov 12, 2015
kilode100:

I know say I fat, but as gentlemen, una no suppose to use am insult me.
I be human beans too.

Na Agberos full here
Mtcheeeeeeew

2 Likes

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

Perhaps I dont. Pls enlighten me.
I already did. Fela lives. #Shikena!
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by MizMyColi(f): 12:30am On Nov 13, 2015
crackhaus:

Fat is no less derogatory a word than thin is.

A person who's got small frame would prefer being referred to as "You look slim/mer/mest these days" than "You look thin/ner/nest these days.

Thin connotes underfed and malnourished.

Vice-versa goes for fat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by Nobody: 2:21am On Nov 13, 2015
5Mins, that your gentleman characteristics get as e be o. Doesn't sound like proper man to me.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by An0nimus: 3:53am On Nov 13, 2015
A gentleman is the guy that sucks up to his woman.
bite me tongue
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by SAMBARRY: 6:48am On Nov 13, 2015
5minsmadness here's your answer

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 8:29am On Nov 13, 2015
Timbuktou:
5Mins, that your gentleman characteristics get as e be o. Doesn't sound like proper man to me.
Elucidate sir.
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by 5minsmadness: 8:30am On Nov 13, 2015
SAMBARRY:
5minsmadness here's your answer

This your post is not authentic since you didn't mention Tony Gaskins.

1 Like

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by SAMBARRY: 8:50am On Nov 13, 2015
5minsmadness:

This your post is not authentic since you didn't mention Tony Gaskins.
grin grin grin

But that's your answer anyway tongue wink
Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by seunayeni(m): 9:41am On Nov 13, 2015
5minsmadness:

definitely, cos there are plenty of gentlemen out there smiley

1 Like

Re: How Should A True Gentleman Behave? by PresVA: 12:11pm On Nov 13, 2015
A gentleman should be a loving husband and a caring dad! kiss kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beware Of Women / Woman Stabs Friend In The Bréast In Lagos For Sleeping With Lover (photo) / Help! My Younger Sister About To Get Married, Her Pastor Says No!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.