Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

When Are Children Ready To Start School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Are Children Ready To Start School? (1186 Views)

I'm Ready To Get Married But My Father Wants Me To Build First / Why Your Husband Is Crazy About His Mistress And Is Not Ready To Let Her Go... / Are Children Meant To Be Trained Or Meant To Be Raised (proverb) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Are Children Ready To Start School? by jkingx(m): 8:06am On Nov 13, 2015
http://bluestocker.com/when-are-children-ready-to-start-school/

“how can I not be weird when my childhood was stolen from me”

The above was a statement made by the late legendary Michael Jackson at the 93 Grammy award.

It’s beautiful to see little children going off to school on their first day of preschool. They look so cute in their new often oversized uniforms and lunch box. Soon after a baby’s first birthday, many parents begin to wonder when their little baby will be ready for school and start preschool hunting.

Most preschools will start accepting children at around age 2 ½, but does that mean a child is automatically ready for preschool by that age. I think a child readiness should be more a function of a his or her level of development socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively. These will determine is the child is ready to participate in a daily, structured, educational program with a group of other children?

A considerable body of evidence clearly indicates the crucial importance of play in young children’s development, the value of an extended period of playful learning before the start of formal schooling, and the damaging consequences of starting the formal learning of literacy and numeracy too young.”

A Cambridge University psychologist says children in Britain are starting school too early, suggesting those who delay formal education until six or seven get better results

In Britain, large numbers of children are being identified as “behind” before they even start school in most other countries, he said.

He said there was no evidence to support claims that “earlier is better”, insisting that children needed more time to play in the early years.

A study from Stanford University shows that Danish kids who postponed kindergarten for up to one year showed dramatically higher levels of self-control. delaying kindergarten for one year reduced inattention and hyperactivity by 73% for an average child at age 11.

Countries like Finland and Germany already start school relatively late. Kids do not seem to fare worse later in life for the lost time, otherwise known as childhood:

Developmental psychology research emphasizes the importance of imaginative play in aiding children’s emotional and intellectual self-regulation. “Children who delay their school starting age may have an extended (and appropriately timed) exposure to such playful environments,” the study noted.

Though it is nice and make parents see their kids graduate from high school (secondary school) and consequently college (universities) early, it may overall leave them with all kinds of emotional social and mental issues later in life as adults. So dear parents, resist the temptation to send your babies of to preschool and formal schooling too soon because everybody is sending theirs wards to school or because the regulations say so. Home school your kids till you know they are ready. Give them some basic training like potty training, washing his hands after painting, eating his lunch without assistance, and sleeping alone. If possible, let them gradually begin to learn to be away from you for a while like a day with their grannies or your sister's.

http://bluestocker.com/when-are-children-ready-to-start-school/
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 8:27am On Nov 13, 2015
Every parent wants their child to be a graduate at age 18 hence the need to start them early.
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by boboLIL(m): 8:29am On Nov 13, 2015
Mean while

Something to spice ur day up wid*****

* how to make babies

A child asked his father, "how were people born?" So his father said, "Adam and eve made babies, then their babies became adults and made babies, and so on". The child then went to his mother, asked her the same question and she told him, "we were monkeys then we evolved to become like we are now." The child ran back to his father and said, "you lied to me!" His father replied, "No, your mum was talking about her side of family...

1 Like

Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by dfrost: 9:12am On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:
Every parent wants their child to be a graduate at age 18 hence the need to start them early.

The question I ask most parents is what is the rush for?

To boast about the children's success or what?
To enable them get good jobs or what?

I still don't get it. We end up graduating immature wards that can't interact intelligently and maturely. My boss' son answers questions intelligently but rude in character. Imagine a 9 year-old slapping the back of the head of a grown up colleague of mine. Haba.

Well different strokes for same folks...

1 Like

Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:34am On Nov 13, 2015
dfrost:

The question I ask most parents is what is the rush for?

To boast about the children's success or what?
To enable them get good jobs or what?

I still don't get it. We end up graduating immature wards that can't interact intelligently and maturely. My boss' son answers questions intelligently but rude and in character. Imagine a 9 year-old slapping the back of the head of a grown up colleague of mine. Haba.

Well different strokes for same folks...

My point exactly. That is why most undergraduates talk and act like sec sch students
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by okirewaju(f): 11:07am On Nov 13, 2015
1 year
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 13, 2015
There is no manual for parenting.

It all depends on individual preference.

Am not leaving anything to chance or any stone unturned when it comes to my child's education.

His/her education starts from the day they are born.
Every toy I get for my child is an instrument to educate him/her I won't be getting those stupid dumb toys.
All the colourful painting and shapes in the room is all education.

Her bedtime stories will not be cinderalla only, it will be about the planets, the stars etc.

He/she begins school at 2&half years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 13, 2015
ADENIKETINA2015:

My point exactly. That is why most undergraduates talk and act like sec sch students

So, your point is undergraduates act like high school students cos they started school early?

So the reason why some kids are rude and act childish is because of early education?

Smh.
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by mccc: 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2015
it depends on individual preferences, my kids usually start school from 2 years ,if they like let them big and tall like iroko tree I have set the standards.
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 13, 2015
1 year is good, that's how we were raised and that how am going to do for my kids..
Re: When Are Children Ready To Start School? by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2015
Joavid:

So, your point is undergraduates act like high school students cos they started school early?

So the reason why some kids are rude and act childish is because of early education?

Smh.
Not just because they started early but because most of them weren't psychologically & otherwise ready. All kids aren't the same. What works for A might not work for B. A one year old could be ready in all areas but another might not be. I'm not entirely blaming it on early start off but saying that we should seek counsel to know what works for a child.

(1) (Reply)

Love And Sex Never Sustain Marriage - Majid Michel!!! / Please Pray For Me / Please Advice Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.