Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date (3955 Views)

Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne / Sultan Of Sokoto Celebrates 10th Anniversary Of The Ascension Of Throne (pics) / Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 13, 2016
9jacrip, is it true that ode remo was founded out from from Ilode and Iremo quarters in Ife?

I read it from here:

www.oderemopalace.org/history.htm

What does ilode actually mean. maybe that could give an insight into the definition of ode.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 1:48am On Jan 13, 2016
lawani:

Oonirisa is just a contraction of Ooni and orisa. I wonder why you are running away from the Oluwo story supported by two people, the Ijesa and the Oyo who have never been allies cheesy
Afterall the Oluwo was a human being.
Bro, don't go to ife with this your oluwo tales. People would just look at you as if you are kolo mental.lol
Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't heard from any oral history or read from any other source of this oluwo's story apart from rev. Johnson's book.
Strangers (rev. Johnson and one or two ilesha/oyo citizens) can't tell us the history of the rulers of our town. Like they say in yoruba, you can't know osho more than osho's mother. It's just the same way the oyo can't know Oranmiyan more than the ife.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 1:53am On Jan 13, 2016
saxywale:
9jacrip, is it true that ode remo was founded out from from Ilode and Iremo quarters in Ife?
I read it from here:
www.oderemopalace.org/history.htm
What does ilode actually mean. maybe that could give an insight into the definition of ode.

Yes sir but not just Ode Remo alone but the whole Remo division in Ogun state which include but not limited to Ode Remo, Sagamu, Makun - they're about 33 towns in number.

Derin migrated to and founded the Oke-Igbo town. Derin's line become king in Ife and this place.

Ogboru himself left Ife to found Ife Odan - Ogboru line also king in this place.

The list of places founded by people who still have compounds in Ife long jere, I wan go sleep.

Edited: Egbon mi, me ma'hun Ilode mean o, I'll find out sha.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 2:02am On Jan 13, 2016
9jacrip:

Yes sir but not just Ode Remo alone but the whole Remo division in Ogun state which include but not limited to Ode Remo, Sagamu, Makun - they're about 33 towns in number.

Derin migrated to and founded the Oke-Igbo town. Derin's line become king in Ife and this place.

Ogboru himself left Ife to found Ife Odan - Ogboru line also king in this place.

The list of places founded by people who still have compounds in Ife long jere, I wan go sleep.

Edited: Egbon mi, me ma'hun Ilode mean o, I'll find out sha.
What I know about il-ode at the moment is that it's just one of the quarters at ife. I don't even know the meaning of mine, iremo.lol
I would have to find that one out too.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 13, 2016
lawani:

Loja in Ijesa are equivalent of Dukes in Britain. From the etymology of the title it means owner of the market. No one told me that since it is apparent enough. I will say Olofin means Olofintoto, also from the etymology of the title, no one told me that. Olofintoto means perfect which means Christ. I think I heard Owa Obokun Aromolaran on TV once refer to Oduduwa as Olofin aiye, another person mentioned it on this thread. So I believe that was is title. What is the meaning of Owari? You might be able to convince me but Yoruba names connotes a lot and wa means come, So Owa naturally means He who came. I believe the Oba of Ife would have been named Owa (why not?) since Oduduwa was a stranger, if not that a new event of making the Oluwo's son King happened.
God being a perfect ruler is also called Olofin which I also believe means Olofintoto.

To confirm that cities were referred to as Ode Oyo, Ode Ife, Ode Ondo and etc in the past, you will need to ask others or make research. I am surprised you don't know that.

Every ruler or emperor in Yoruba land is Oba. The Ooni is Oba of Ife, Alaafin is Oba of Oyo. Are you even Yoruba? What kind of questions are these you are raising?. Throughout Yoruba land Oba is King and not a clan head. If you say Oba is clan head in Ife, you are wrong and it shows you are very shallow. That titles like Obalufe, Obajio and etc occurs in Ife does not mean those people are Obas. The day the Obalufe says Emi ni Oba Ife will be the day he will be sacked. Don't you know there is no other word for King in Yoruba than Oba?. Pls stop spreading rubbish around sir. Whatever the Ife chiefs are calling themselves in their quarters does not change the meaning of Oba in Yoruba language. The only word for emperor is Oba.

You are the one lacking imagination and you are also mentally lazy to boot sir. Modern engineers can not replicate the pyramids built 5 thousand years ago. So our ancestors might have been star trekkers. Let that sink in.

Oonirisa is just a contraction of Ooni and orisa. I wonder why you are running away from the Oluwo story supported by two people, the Ijesa and the Oyo who have never been allies cheesy
Afterall the Oluwo was a human being.

Everything in the first emboldened are from your imaginations and your own conclusions ALONE.

Owari is the full of Owa, I'm surprised a person giving rendition to words and supposedly knows history didn't know this.

2. Ode does not mean 'city', it is mostly used when there are tow versions of a town. Ibadan was a city, Ikoyi was a city, Ife during Luwoo's period was something like a city etc besides by what standard are you determining what makes a 'city' in ancient times?

3. Before Yoruba world over adopted Oba as a tag for a ruler, Ife that long existed before them used Oba to refer to clan heads - get into your head sir.

This is simple: Before other towns emerged, Ife had a lose confederacy with each clan head called Oba-something all who later became Chief-Kings to Ooni. When other towns sprang up, they began to use the word Oba left and right - a recent development.

Political system in Ife precedes that of Yoruba.

Terms of office in Ife precedes that of Yoruba.

Your almost drug like influenced cling to Oba as though it wasn't derived from Ife makes no sense.

4. Really? Modern engineers building sky scrappers and taking engineering to the extremes? Wow. cheesy grin. School wo lo re na?

5. So Ooni is no longer a derivative of Omo Olwuo ni? It is now Ooni Orisa? I purposely dropped that in my previous post because it appears you cling to any new info that almost follows your argument which you then incorporate into your new argument.

For the record and repetitive purpose:

Oluwo in whatever sound rendition you want to give it never existed in Ife - only Luwoo, a female Ooni and the mother of the founder of Iwo town.

The female Ooni 'slave' Ooni impregnated was Orunto who has a compound in Ife till today.

Ajibogun did not fight any wars neither did he make agreements to install the slave child because non was installed.

Slave's son did not found Ifewara - Olowoyelu, the brother to Otutu (founder of Otutu Royal house) both sons of Lafogido founded Ifewara.

Finally, Obalufe is the Oba of Iremo starting from Lageere/post office to the palace gate. He also acts as Oba of Ife as his name states. He runs the day to day activities of Ife, not the Ooni.

Ooni is the last Orisa. Hence, Oonirisa, one of his many names. He is also called Oonirisa because he has to be part of all festivals done everyday in Ife, without him the festivals are null and void.

So sir, take this back home and ask your elders who will tell you true history and quit bothering us with astronauts and spaceships. If una don watch sci-fi too much na rubbish go remain to dey yarn.

Lawani astronaut. cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by lawani: 6:39am On Jan 13, 2016
9jacrip:

Everything in the first emboldened are from your imaginations and your own conclusions ALONE.

Owari is the full of Owa, I'm surprised a person giving rendition to words and supposedly knows history didn't know this.

2. Ode does not mean 'city', it is mostly used when there are tow versions of a town. Ibadan was a city, Ikoyi was a city, Ife during Luwoo's period was something like a city etc besides by what standard are you determining what makes a 'city' in ancient times?

3. Before Yoruba world over adopted Oba as a tag for a ruler, Ife that long existed before them used Oba to refer to clan heads - get into your head sir.

This is simple: Before other towns emerged, Ife had a lose confederacy with each clan head called Oba-something all who later became Chief-Kings to Ooni. When other towns sprang up, they began to use the word Oba left and right - a recent development. You're not only shallow, you're thickly block headed and unnecessarily stubborn with nothing upstairs other than myths and nothing new to share - yes, I said it.

Political system in Ife precedes that of Yoruba.

Terms of office in Ife precedes that of Yoruba.

Your almost drug like influenced cling to Oba as though it wasn't derived from Ife makes no sense.

4. Really? Modern engineers building sky scrappers and taking engineering to the extremes? Wow. cheesy grin. School wo lo re na?

5. So Ooni is no longer a derivative of Omo Olwuo ni? It is now Ooni Orisa? I purposely dropped that in my previous post because it appears you cling to any new info that almost follows your argument which you then incorporate into your new argument.

For the record and repetitive purpose:

Oluwo in whatever sound rendition you want to give it never existed in Ife - only Luwoo, a female Ooni and the mother of the founder of Iwo town.

The female Ooni 'slave' Ooni impregnated was Orunto who has a compound in Ife till today.

Ajibogun did not fight any wars neither did he make agreements to install the slave child because non was installed.

Slave's son did not found Ifewara - Olowoyelu, the brother to Otutu (founder of Otutu Royal house) both sons of Lafogido founded Ifewara.

Finally, Obalufe is the Oba of Iremo starting from Lageere/post office to the palace gate. He also acts as Oba of Ife as his name states. He runs the day to day activities of Ife, not the Ooni.

Oonirisa is not Ooni Orisa, it is Ooni ri Orisa because he has to be part of all festivals done everyday in Ife, without him the festivals are null and void.

So sir, take this back home and ask your elders who will tell you true history and quit bothering us with astronauts and spaceships. If una don watch sci-fi too much na rubbish go remain to dey yarn.

Lawani astronaut. cheesy grin

You are just being unnecessarily insultive. I stayed in Ife is why I know Oonirisa is a contraction of Ooni and orisa and it is pronounced that way not as 0oni ri orisa. You sound as if you do not understand Yoruba language sir. I am not succumbing to your definition of Ooni but only saying it as it is rendered in Ife. I stick to the Ijesa account that agrees with that of the Oyo grin

So to you, what is King in Yoruba language? Not Olu because Olu means chief person or prime person like in Olu ode chief hunter or Olu Awo head of the Awos. Please what is the Yoruba word for emperor. There must be a word since we had empires. Please tell me sir.

You must remember that the establishment of any Ife is for the sole purpose of preserving history. A purpose you have trivialized. I believe that is why we have those titles that represents leaderships of defunct empires. Obajio, Obalufe and etc.

Maybe I will find an article to post for you to see that the ancient way of referring to a city is ode.
See this ese Ifa for instance
Gongosu Edidare
Bo ti gbon to na lo go to
Akindanidani awo won lode Egba
Odanidani awo won lode Ijesa

That was the way of referring to cities in the past but it has gone out of fashion nowadays.

The Egypt pyramids are still mysteries like many other thing. If you are a civil engineer you will understand that such a massive pyramid a real pyramid wide base tapering at the top visible from space has not been replicated. Skyscrapers are straight rectangles and not pyramids, those are easier to build.

Pls be objective no need to be abusing me. You believe our ancestors were primitives while I believe they achieved feats we won't in hundred years time. They were more advanced but were destroyed. It can happen to us too so much that only a few thousand humans will be on Earth in 7020 if we produce too many foolish people.

The title of Oduduwa was Olofin aiye while new Ife kings are Ooni. What do you say was meaning of King in Ife? Olofin, Ooni, Owa, Alaafin and etc are orikis of Obas. I am very heartbroken by the way you muddle things up.

Meanwhile Ifewara is Ijesa and not Ife. The history you stated that excludes Ijesa is wrong. There is clear boundary btw Ife and Ijesa. On what basis are u claiming the place as Ife?

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 13, 2016
lawani:

Meanwhile Ifewara is Ijesa and not Ife. The history you stated that excludes Ijesa is wrong. There is clear boundary btw Ife and Ijesa. On what basis are u claiming the place as Ife?
Ifewara is ijesha.lol. bros, you are funny o, now i am beginning to doubt you are from ilesha. most likely an oyo man masquerading as an ijesha.
Ifewara is 10minutes away from ife.
Why does the oba of ifewara attends the meeting of Ife lobaloba, and not that of ilesha?
my maternal great grandmother is from ifewara and she is ife.
So names like olafare are ijesha to you?
and of course, it is possible to rebuild the pyramid given the necessary manpower and materials. I have an MSc in civil engineering from a 1st world country grin
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by lawani: 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2016
saxywale:

Ifewara is ijesha.lol. bros, you are funny o, now i am beginning to doubt you are from ilesha. most likely an oyo man masquerading as an ijesha.
Ifewara is 10minutes away from ife.
Why does the oba of ifewara attends the meeting of Ife lobaloba, and not that of ilesha?
my maternal great grandmother is from ifewara and she is ife.
So names like olafare are ijesha to you?
and of course, it is possible to rebuild the pyramid given the necessary manpower and materials. I have an MSc in civil engineering from a 1st world country grin

I also believe anything is possible but no one knows how they did it and with modern engineering knowledge, cranes and everything it will still be almost impossible. Nothing like it has been put up. How they placed the bricks remain a mystery. Many experts say modern engineers CAN NOT replicate it but you can have any opinion despite that you can not prove it.

A MSc is an MSc, A PhD is a PhD. No matter the university, all are peers publishing in thesame or affiliated journals but it is good to be a product of a university in a serious country. We have world reknown scholars here too who are based here. Many of my lecturers in Ife are well known in Chemical engineering circles all over the world. But congrats all thesame.

Ifewara is Ijesha on Ijesha land but close to Ife. It is in Atakunmosa East or so. It is an Ijesha town, Ife land is big enough without trying to encroach on Ijesha land. There is no way Ifewara will be counted as an Ife town, they are Ijesha, being close to Ife is not reason enough to be annexed by Ife. Little by little, the land will finish. Ife already has more land than Ijesa, I believe
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 13, 2016
lawani:

I also believe anything is possible but no one knows how they did it and with modern engineering knowledge, cranes and everything it will still be almost impossible. Nothing like it has been put up. How they placed the bricks remain a mystery. Many experts say modern engineers CAN NOT replicate it but you can have any opinion despite that you can not prove it.

A MSc is an MSc, A PhD is a PhD. No matter the university, all are peers publishing in thesame or affiliated journals but it is good to be a product of a university in a serious country. We have world reknown scholars here too who are based here. Many of my lecturers in Ife are well known in Chemical engineering circles all over the world. But congrats all thesame.

Ifewara is Ijesha on Ijesha land but close to Ife. It is in Atakunmosa East or so. It is an Ijesha town, Ife land is big enough without trying to encroach on Ijesha land. There is no way Ifewara will be counted as an Ife town, they are Ijesha, being close to Ife is not reason enough to be annexed by Ife. Little by little, the land will finish. Ife already has more land than Ijesa, I believe
It is not impossible. It would be built without any difficulty, structures greater than the pyramid of Egypt have been built by modern engineers. The question to ask is why would any country or cooperation intend to spend over 1billion US dollars in building a structure which wouldn't add value. The benefit-cost ratio would be next to zero. You think we can send things into outer space with accurate precision and build towers half a mile tall, but we can't build a stone pyramid? Scientists and engineers were only amazed that ancient people could build such a structure with little technology available back then.

In my opinion, msc is not msc. Are you saying an Msc or Phd from Kogi University is equal to an Msc from Standford? I had lecturers back then in Nigeria with Phds from Standford, Edinburgh and Yale, yet we were lectured with notes from the 1970's, and laboratory equipments bought when obasanjo was the Nigerian head of state. The amount allocated for research alone in some universities in some advanced countries is bigger than the education budget in Nigeria for a year. Oh, my first degree was from OAU too if you were wondering. So i know the quality of product from there. smiley

Concerning the LGA of Ifewara, LGA is just a geographical representation. It's similar to our brothers in benin republic, they are not less yorubas than any other yorubas in Nigeria. Even though they may be called Beninese, their identity is still Yoruba. Ifewara may be situated in Atakunmosa LGA, their locals are mainly Ife. That is why OBA Ifewara is an Ife province Oba just like the ifetedo, ipetu, Olode, Agbonbiti, Awolowo e.t.c, and not Ijesha.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by lawani: 2:08am On Jan 14, 2016
saxywale:

It is not impossible. It would be built without any difficulty, structures greater than the pyramid of Egypt have been built by modern engineers. The question to ask is why would any country or cooperation intend to spend over 1billion US dollars in building a structure which wouldn't add value. The benefit-cost ratio would be next to zero. You think we can send things into outer space with accurate precision and build towers half a mile tall, but we can't build a stone pyramid? Scientists and engineers were only amazed that ancient people could build such a structure with little technology available back then.

In my opinion, msc is not msc. Are you saying an Msc or Phd from Kogi University is equal to an Msc from Standford? I had lecturers back then in Nigeria with Phds from Standford, Edinburgh and Yale, yet we were lectured with notes from the 1970's, and laboratory equipments bought when obasanjo was the Nigerian head of state. The amount allocated for research alone in some universities in some advanced countries is bigger than the education budget in Nigeria for a year. Oh, my first degree was from OAU too if you were wondering. So i know the quality of product from there. smiley

Concerning the LGA of Ifewara, LGA is just a geographical representation. It's similar to our brothers in benin republic, they are not less yorubas than any other yorubas in Nigeria. Even though they may be called Beninese, their identity is still Yoruba. Ifewara may be situated in Atakunmosa LGA, their locals are mainly Ife. That is why OBA Ifewara is an Ife province Oba just like the ifetedo, ipetu, Olode, Agbonbiti, Awolowo e.t.c, and not Ijesha.

Even if the pyramid could be built, it does not subtract from the credibility of my initial argument that ancient people were probably star trekkers, but many experts insist modern tech can not replicate it. Anyone can have an opinion.

PhD is PhD whether in Kogi or in Harvard, the research work will not be admissible and publishable if not up to standard. People researching in Western nations get more awards since they do more work and have more breakthroughs however people here too do get some awards.

I will assure you that Ifewara is on Ijesha land and the people are Ijesha. Ife never collected taxes there in the past and will not in the future. That is their identity that can hardly be changed.

Nigeria is not the only home country oF Yoruba, the Yoruba in Benin have their land and identity, so the analogy is not right. All towns in Ijesha were from Ife as well as all towns in Oyo and etc but they still have their Ijesa identity. Ife should concentrate on their land which should be bigger than Ijesha land. Ifewara is Ijesha that is close to Ife not Ife.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Throne Ascension Till Date by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 14, 2016
lawani:

Even if the pyramid could be built, it does not subtract from the credibility of my initial argument that ancient people were probably star trekkers, but many experts insist modern tech can not replicate it. Anyone can have an opinion.

PhD is PhD whether in Kogi or in Harvard, the research work will not be admissible and publishable if not up to standard. People researching in Western nations get more awards since they do more work and have more breakthroughs however people here too do get some awards.

I will assure you that Ifewara is on Ijesha land and the people are Ijesha. Ife never collected taxes there in the past and will not in the future. That is their identity that can hardly be changed.

Nigeria is not the only home country oF Yoruba, the Yoruba in Benin have their land and identity, so the analogy is not right. All towns in Ijesha were from Ife as well as all towns in Oyo and etc but they still have their Ijesa identity. Ife should concentrate on their land which should be bigger than Ijesha land. Ifewara is Ijesha that is close to Ife not Ife.
PhD is PhD indeed... grin No wonder we have a good number of engineers and scientists with PhD's from "Nigeria Universities" working in high tech research centres all over the world. lol. keep on living in lala land.
Bsc is manageable, MSc (slightly to some extent), PhD..(next to zero chance).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Systems Of Record Keeping In Ancient Civilizations / ''at All At All,na Em Bad Pass'' What Does This Saying Mean? / ~ Hissing . . . Is It A Cool Culture Among Africans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.