Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu (36109 Views)

Osinbajo, Fashola And Ambode At Dangote Refinery In Lagos / Buhari, Fashola, Amaechi At International Finance Corporation (Pics) / Caption This Photo Of Buhari, Fashola And Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2015
Speaking with many Nigerians earlier in the year, the change mantra was like a popular survival pill that everyone needed to swallow to keep them out of the fast-spreading frustration virus. For most of them, “change” was not even a campaign message used to communicate the intentions of the opposition, it was rather people’s original state of mind; all they needed was to rightfully wash the linen, dirty or clean, of the ruling party out of the center of power.

Of course it was a repertoire of dance, music and jubilations, as the figures of the elections went the way of the opposition. For about 120 million frustrated Nigerians who severally and collectively led the movement against the ruling party, it was a hugely scary pent-up emotion as the change they desired eventually emerged. Meanwhile, only little did the protagonist realize that the multiplier effect of people’s seemingly peaceful mass revolution against the 16-year old government was a hard bite of pressure, as the people expected nothing but magic! It was clear to some that the 73-year old Buhari needed a Tunde Idiagbon to bring back the glory that many Nigerians had confidence in. After six months of growing disappointments on the faces of people, it may be safe to announce the return of Tunde Idiagbon in the guise of Tunde Fashola.

With the unusual energy and the especial, but expected, brilliance demonstrated by Professor Osinbajo during the presidential campaigns, Nigerians drew an implicit hypothesis that pictured the professor in the light of an Idiagbon that would complement the leadership of the hitherto credible Buhari. But unfortunately, Nigerians have been helplessly left at the mercy of gradual but steady disappointments that clearly suggest how limited the brilliant and energetic Osinbajo may be, being the vice president, in Buhari’s race to change. By now, it should be clear that Buhari’s Idiagbon does not stop at energy and brilliance, but even goes further to a largely experienced hand that is able to tackle the Nigeria’s problems and implement corrective policies, however unpopular, without the fears of being voted out.

After Fashola’s celebrated performance in Lagos, and his near-perfect record of credibility throughout his 8-year tenure in spite of the wealth of the state, his appointment as Minister over two technically huge and different ministries should not come as a major surprise. It was in the same vein that Buhari appointed the stoic Brigadier, Tunde Idiagbon, as the Chief of Staff at Supreme Headquarters. For Buhari to have invested such risky confidence in Fashola after he had again correctly identified corruption as Nigeria’s major problem, it may be safe to conclude that he must have characteristically seen the gesture of Idiagbon in him. Hopefully, Buhari and “his Idiagbon” will, this time around, learn from the mistakes of about three decades ago and implement sustainable policies that will earn them commendations and not democratic overthrow.

Like in the case of Idiagbon, it may be important for Fashola to understand that for him to succeed in the decaying system, it will require him to appear austere with rigidly puritanical operating system. High hopes are now radiating among Nigerians, as they believe that they have now got a messiah who will fix their 55-year old mess; they believe they now have a man who will fearlessly step on toes and walk through the shadows of the corruption-stricken billionaires to save 170 million Nigerians.

Ironically, the same Nigerians who celebrated the wind of sanity that the Buhari and Idiagbon administration brought to the nation also celebrated his military overthrow. Although the sanity in the country was clear even to the uneducated aged farmers in the most remote villages, it could only be assumed that they heaved a heavy sigh of relief from the sudden and unusual philosophy of waste management, discipline, and credibility –Nigerians were never trained like that, and they needed many years to unlearn, learn and adjust. These same Nigerians are now vociferating in the nostalgia of Buhari and Idiagbon. Their hopes are high that Buhari and his new Idiagbon will bring back their lost glory and heal their decaying wounds.

Hopefully, the Honourable Minister, Babatunde Raji Fashola, will deliver beyond performance expectation and make his name a force to reckon with at the center. Perhaps it will be a Buhari and Fashola era of real change, cushioned with the unusual brilliance and energy of Professor Osinbajo.

By Ayo Alaba Idowu

alabee2002@yahoo.com

Ayo Alaba Idowu is the Editor-in-Chief of Greennews.ng

http://greennews.ng/buhari-fashola-and-the-return-of-idiagbon/

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by chidibond(m): 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2015
such high hopes. I pray he delivers

BTW, this is such an interesting piece. Buhari's trust in Fashola is shared by most Nigerians. I expect a major focus on capital expenditure in the 2016 budget and follow-up for implementation.

It may take time, but we'll get there.

39 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Ymodulus: 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2015
What a pretty piece! Well articulated. I was moved to comment, because i love your article.

Can one say that Buhari has a thing for yoruba's with the name Tunde? - First it was TUNDE Idiagbon, next was TUNDE Bakare and now TUNDE Fashola.

PMB understands what vital tools he needs to drive home this gospel of change.

Idiagbon happens to be a leader whose legacies still span into our modern economy, judging by the strides Fashola achieved during his tenure as the Lagos State government, we can safely say he has created a record. However I have a few concerns, as the task ahead of him now is more bigger than that of he encountered at the state level.

At the state level, Fashola consolidated on his predecessor's work, this made things easier for him. Today this is not the case as the PDP government had no clear agenda or objective after the sack of Prof. Barth Nnaji and as a result Fashola has the herculean task of starting from the scratch.

Nevertheless, My informed sentiment is optimistic that he will perform, but we should not expect a miracle.

135 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by CharlyNick: 5:04pm On Nov 14, 2015
Good one

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by mikolo80: 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2015
Ymodulus:
What a pretty piece! Well articulated. I was moved to comment, because i love your article.

Can one say that Buhari has a thing for yoruba's with the name Tunde? - First it was TUNDE Idiagbon, next was TUNDE Bakare and now TUNDE Fashola.

PMB understands what vital tools he needs to drive home this gospel of change.

Idiagbon happens to be a leader whose legacies still span into our modern economy, judging by the strides Fashola achieved during his tenure as the Lagos State government, we can safely say he has created a record. However I have a few concerns, as the task ahead of him now is more bigger than that of he encountered at the state level.

At the state level, Fashola consolidated on his predecessor's work, this made things easier for him. Today this is not the case as the PDP government had no clear agenda or objective after the sack of Prof. Barth Nnaji and as a result Fashola has the herculean task of starting from the scratch.

Nevertheless, My informed sentiment is optimistic that he will perform, but we should not expect a miracle.
prof Barth is not dead and can consult for fash
abeg no start from scratch when you get appointee Un position of authority
you go school
act like it

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Ymodulus: 6:00pm On Nov 14, 2015
mikolo80:
prof Barth is not dead and can consult for fash
abeg no start from scratch when you get appointee Un position of authority
you go school
act like it
Did i say he cant? my friend read well before you comment. try to get the message and dont rush to place a comment because you want too

26 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by coolitempa(f): 6:13pm On Nov 14, 2015
The expectations on BAF are unrealistically high ooooo.... angry........his role and that of Osinbajo will be crucial in the success of this administration.... cool

10 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 14, 2015
Where is lalasticlala, Seun and Obinoscopy sef

The story is well thought and shared decently.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by mikolo80: 6:27pm On Nov 14, 2015
Ymodulus:

Did i say he cant? my friend read well before you comment. try to get the message and dont rush to place a comment because you want too
you did
I did
I'll comment on what I bloody well want to thank you very much,this is after all c public forum is it not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Rilwayne001: 6:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
Thank God for change. We'll surely get to the promise land.

God bless Nigeria.

Waiting for WAILERS to come and narrate to us how Jonathan discovered Fashola. cheesy

22 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:37pm On Nov 14, 2015
Fashola is an asset that must not be left out in any serious government.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by damton(m): 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2015
With the appointment of Fashola to head some critical government institutions, I'm convinced Buhari meant well for Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by looseweight: 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2015
Ok
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Seunaj05(m): 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2015
Fashola was not the VP only because APC dare not field in a muslim-muslim ticket. Trust me, going by the responsibilities vested on Raji Fashola, Osibanjo seemed to have been officially relegated to a mere commissioner (so to say) making Fashola the coded vice president

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by ikombe: 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2015
Isalrite
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Opinedecandid(m): 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2015
Hmm.
Despite the challenges and the dissatisfaction, all what we want is success, nothing less.

Let them just move Nigeria forward.
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by calliope(f): 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
All dis government' has offered are just propangada..nutin elsE"
Wit fashola as minister of power" i still dey hope..
Hup things get beta..

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
I never saw this coming.
What an apt description of BRF.

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by braine(m): 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2015
Nigeria will be great. And thats a fact. cool
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Mogidi: 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2015
If Fashola is the new Idiagbon what is Prof. Yeye Osibanjo?

A mere commissioner?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by dipopooo(m): 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2015
Idiagbon ko idiisu ni

Comparin someone who used #78m to upgrade a website to someone who fought corruption & indispline to a stand still.

Na wa o

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by drss(m): 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2015
Wetin concern me sad but D way dem dey hail fashola dis days as buari's no.2 dey unsettle tinubu. Even commissioner osimbade don dey boil already. D poor man dey feel like houseboy for aso rock. grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Rilwayne001: 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2015
Mogidi:

If Fashola is the new Idiagbon what is Prof. Yeye
Osibanjo?
A mere commissioner?

Nope! Osinbajo is the brain behind Buhari's achievement/activities. You know Buhari is a dullard, don't you? grin grin

Therefore Osinbajo = Buhari while Fashola = Idiagbon wink smiley

You get what im saying?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by catchfun: 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2015
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by chukslawrence(m): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2015
This must be moved to literature section becaue nah novel oh. Anyways i wan scroll up go read am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2015
First of all this article is wrong to say that 120 million people rejoiced after Buhari won. Did he really win that many votes?

ignoramus that quotes me to spew thrash can continue. Mind you I'm 5% ethnically and regionally and I don't believe in "change" it means something different to APC

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by buoye1(m): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2015
I don't want to compare..
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by seangy4konji: 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2015
I deh chum
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by emamos: 6:48pm On Nov 14, 2015
.Babatunde Raji omo Fashola
Re: Buhari, Fashola And The Return Of Idiagbon By Ayo Alaba Idowu by Mogidi: 6:48pm On Nov 14, 2015
Rilwayne001:

L

You try sha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Postpones Announcement Of Results In Edo / APC Pegs 2023 Presidential Nomination Form At ₦100m, Announce Primaries Date / Ministerial List: New Ministries May Be Created – Gbajabiamila

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.