Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Let's Go Back To The Old School - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Let's Go Back To The Old School (3859 Views)

JUVENTUS... The Old Lady Of Turin (BIANCONERI) / Official Juventus Fan Thread: Followers Of The Old Lady: (l'bianconeri) / The 'Old Lady' Calling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Go Back To The Old School by bolaoni(m): 10:36am On Oct 16, 2006
I am not sure this thread will interest all the soccer fans produced by DSTV cool

I was just reminiscing some days back about the good ol' days of Nigerian football.

The days of IICC, Leventis United, Abiola Babes, Ranchers Bees, BCC Lions of Gboko, The Flaming Flamingoes and Inwuanyawu International. Those were the good days of Naija football. Days you will long to watch the League and when you miss any of the action it is like you are missing Man Utd against Arsenal/Chelsea or Barca vs. real Madrid.

Old school soccer fans, what memories do you have about the good ol' days of Nigerian football.

Which club were you dying for then and which players caught your fancy and make you restless when you watch them play?

wink
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by Jackal(m): 2:48pm On Oct 16, 2006
@ Bolaoni,

Don't know so much about 'em days but i think Leventis United was the toast in those days.
I watched some old tapes and Leventis United FC was like Man Utd.
Uwem Ekarika and Andrew Uwe were too brilliant to be playing in the Nigerian league.
Those players would blame themselves today for being born in the wrong century.
A player of Ekarika's quality would bench Samuel Etoo at Barcelona.
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by hustler(m): 5:15pm On Oct 16, 2006
the 3SC side of 94, 95, 96 and 97 was really the team for me.

with players like ajibade babalade, patrick pascal, david ogaga, and a young and enterprising duke udi.

they were just unlucky in the continental touirnaments.to me they were the best in africa at that time.

so sad to see that that flair is almost non existent in club football in 9ja again.
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by bolaoni(m): 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2006
Flaming Flamingoes, the SUPER STORES of the early 90s was my best team. Can anybody remember the heroics of both Ike "Anobi" Shorunmu, Leye Akinde, Eddy Okoyomo, Ganiyu Ajide, Steven Botchway, Abdul Sule, Teslim Fatusi, Hakeem Ogunlade, Tokunbo Gbadamosi, Arthur Moses and the rest?

Gone are those good ol' days my people.
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by Akolawole(m): 10:47pm On Oct 16, 2006
@BolaOni

I dont even know what to say.

Gone are the days in Ibadan.

Challenge cup?

Rangers International, Sutin stars.

Benjamin Nzeakor

Where is Ababoy1, Oldglory and other Oldies in the house?

@Jackal

Can i get any of those tapes?

I have few collections from Saudi '89 as well
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by kitaun(m): 12:40am On Oct 17, 2006
When i remember those days of yore, nolstagia freaks me silly cos am so proud of my team the defunct Leventis Utd which was the best in the land then with players like Andrew Uwe,Bunmi Adigun, James Etokebe Wole Odegbami,Uwem Ekarika, Goalie Edward Ansah etc These players had stiff competition comparable to any Arsenal / Man U match anytime they faced Abiola babes that had solid players like Toyin Ayinla,Rasheed Yekini,Yisa Sofoluwe, Goalie Raymond King etc
Re: Let's Go Back To The Old School by bolaoni(m): 12:35pm On Oct 17, 2006
Me think the old school should be divided into eras.

In the early 80s it was Rangers International. Mid 80s was for Leventis and Abiola Babes and some also runs. The late 80s to early 90s was Inwunayawun and BCC's and then the era of plenty man show came. That was early 90s to the mid 90s. At a point it was Stores then Suting took over then it became Berger's era but the slide started afterwards.

I was thinking yesterday and it occured to me, ironically, that our footie standard started dropping when the Premiership started getting popular over here.

The rivalry between the clubs that dominate an era is so fierce.

Did anybody remember the 1987 FA Cup Final between Abiola and Ranchers Bees. AYO OGUNLANA was smoking in that match, but Linus Mba was on hand to help Abiola escape with the cup angry

It seems the old school guys aint around any longer to make this thread interesting sad

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Biggest Waste Of Money At Chelsea? / Most Chelsea Fans Are Lousy And Myopic / Old Trafford Abuse Of Wenger Was Vile And Totally Unacceptable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.