Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,474 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:03 PM

Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect (2830 Views)

Imoh Eboh Transformed To HIV/AIDS Patient By Onilogbo Hakeem Effect (Photos) / Common Mistakes Most Photographers In Nigeria Make All The Time / How To Create A Cartoon Effect Of Your Photo Using Photoshop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by BoyCoyToy(m): 7:13am On Nov 15, 2015
Hello photographers, am a Graphic Designer and a Drama minister. Am a novice in this field and I want to start a little movie project and I have been wondering how to blur my far images. Is it through After Effect or the camera.
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by Lovetinz(m): 7:37am On Nov 15, 2015
Delayed tracking and a low shutter speed will blur your image.
Also objects in the background will be blurred when you set focus for foreground (Relatively) objects.

1 Like

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by datkoded(m): 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
depending on the f stop of the lens( high f stop numbers like f1.2, f1.4, f1.8 etc) and the distance of your subject to the background...

1 Like

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by coreseam: 10:24am On Nov 16, 2015
BoyCoyToy:
Hello photographers, am a Graphic Designer and a Drama minister. Am a novice in this field and I want to start a little movie project and I have been wondering how to blur my far images. Is it through After Effect or the camera.

read up a brief on Apperture and Shutter Speed of cameras.
it would give you a fair view of achieving the blurred images.
you could as well get a photographer to demonstrate it to you.
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by VillageBoi(m): 11:48am On Nov 16, 2015
@ BoyCoyToy... having said you're a novice I will ask what 'exactly' do you mean by 'blurred' images? A few things come to my mind but I have a feeling you're using the wrong terminology... but I will also consider that you do actually want blurred images.
The reason I'm asking is because the reality is no-one wants to watch a video that is 'blurred' it will actually be painful to the eyes of your audience... maybe there is an 'effect' you would like to reproduce? Understand I'm just guessing here and could be far off what you really mean.

Since you're talking about 'moving images' the assumption is you'll be shooting at 25 or 24 fps for TV or cinema... for now your best bet probably would be to film 'normally' and do the 'blur' in post... again like Lovetinz & Dotkoded I'm guessing you're not technical or have a full understanding of the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and even iso.
Both commenters above mentioned two different ways and things you can do - a slow shutter speed will 'blur' your image but as mentioned before not watchable for a long time depending on how blurred it is. And a large aperture such as f1.2, 1.4, 1.8 (depending on distance to subject) will give a very small plane of focus and everything else will be 'blurry' or 'out of focus'. Additionally, do you mean like in a scene with 2 people and the one talking is sharp and the other person blurry then it switches when the other person is talking (that's called pulling focus).
Honestly not sure what you mean but if you really do mean having a video that is just blurry and not just for a short effect I would advise against it.

I'll add my old showreel here and if there is any shot that is even close to what you mean do say which one and I'll explain better how to do it. Or can you find and post any video that has exactly what you want to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYjgCc3BRbg

2 Likes

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by bindashsandeep(m): 10:32am On Nov 17, 2015
Nikon D810

It's my recommendation. smiley photographers in Nigeria

The Nikon D810 has an ultra-high resolution full frame sensor and a surprisingly affordable price tag for a professional camera. In fact, many well-heeled enthusiasts have scraped up the cash to buy it too. It has no anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor which produces even sharper fine detail. The D810 is a classic DSLR which shows the view through the lens via a mirror (which flips up at the moment of exposure) and an optical viewfinder, and it's at the centre of a huge range of lenses and other accessories for both amateurs and pros.

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by BoyCoyToy(m): 3:08pm On Nov 17, 2015
I think it's called depth of field

3 Likes

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by VillageBoi(m): 9:57pm On Nov 17, 2015
BoyCoyToy:
I think it's called depth of field
Ok DOF is achieved with EVERY camera; what most people, especially novices, tend to mean is 'how to get a SHALLOW' Depth Of Field. Much easier to get a 'shallow' DOF if you have a large sensor and a fast lens (you can also get a shallow DOF with a telephoto lens - but you'll have to understand the relationship between distances, apertures and so on...) Would be a good idea to 'Google' Depth Of Field and do a bit of reading on the topic.
By the way what 'exact' equipment are you using for the shoot or planning to use?

Here is a short video crash-course on DOF you should find to be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lrcxEnRP0I

1 Like

Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by jaydee87(m): 8:33am On Nov 20, 2015
@op if you talking about dof or Burke as it is called in photography then it has to do with your lens or a simple trick u make ur image far from your background so the background will be blur but if can use ur lens and yes it takes practice and reading up... villageboi where av u bin? bin a while...
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by VillageBoi(m): 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2015
jaydee87:
@op if you talking about dof or Burke as it is called in photography then it has to do with your lens or a simple trick u make ur image far from your background so the background will be blur but if can use ur lens and yes it takes practice and reading up... villageboi where av u bin? bin a while...

Hi Jaydee, how are you? Yes it has been a while... it's been very busy this side. Hope all is well with you?
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by VillageBoi(m): 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2015
Just a small misconception to correct so that newbies don't pick up the wrong info and run with it. DOF and 'Bokeh' are actually two very, very different things.
I'll try to say what they are in as simple a manner as possible.

DOF - Depth Of Field - This is actually the 'amount' of an image that is in focus; the 'distance' from your camera that is in focus - hence 'depth'.
Bokeh - Which is from the Japanese word blur or haze: 'boke' also from the Japanese word for 'blur-quality' - note 'quality' being the key word. It simply is the 'quality' of the out of focus part of an image when using a lens at the widest aperture.

Basically, different lenses produce a different looking 'bokeh'. For example a lens with 5 blades will produce a less round bokeh than a lens that has 9 blades since the circle made by the 5 blades will be less of a circular shape.
Google photos of these lenses - The very old but very popular version Canon 50mm f1.8 has 5 blades and the bokeh looked more like a 'pentagon' than a 'circle'. The much more expensive Canon f1.4 has 8 blades and of course much better 'bokeh' than the f1.8.

Here's a couple of examples of 'bokeh' from my old photography blog - notice the blurriness of the background and the shape of the lights/highlights... these were with the old Canon f1.8

The Xmas lights behind the glass - https://villageboi./2009/10/28/fourt/
Seen mainly in the water - https://villageboi./2011/06/08/listen/
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by jaydee87(m): 8:49am On Nov 27, 2015
VillageBoi:

Hi Jaydee, how are you? Yes it has been a while... it's been very busy this side. Hope all is well with you?
my oga pls I need to discuss something with you, can u send me a mail jidedada2000@gmail.com will be expecting your mail boss..
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by AlexMcGregor: 10:52am On May 27, 2016
To blur your photo, it surely can be done. You can either blur your photo in a bokeh application, or use camera to catch bokeh picture. The later one is very hard to get the best effects for only genius photographers capture the best blurring views, making huge influences.
Re: Photographers: Which Camera Will Give Me Blur Effect by Timagex(m): 4:18pm On Aug 03, 2019
VillageBoi:
Just a small misconception to correct so that newbies don't pick up the wrong info and run with it. DOF and 'Bokeh' are actually two very, very different things.
I'll try to say what they are in as simple a manner as possible.

DOF - Depth Of Field - This is actually the 'amount' of an image that is in focus; the 'distance' from your camera that is in focus - hence 'depth'.
Bokeh - Which is from the Japanese word blur or haze: 'boke' also from the Japanese word for 'blur-quality' - note 'quality' being the key word. It simply is the 'quality' of the out of focus part of an image when using a lens at the widest aperture.

Basically, different lenses produce a different looking 'bokeh'. For example a lens with 5 blades will produce a less round bokeh than a lens that has 9 blades since the circle made by the 5 blades will be less of a circular shape.
Google photos of these lenses - The very old but very popular version Canon 50mm f1.8 has 5 blades and the bokeh looked more like a 'pentagon' than a 'circle'. The much more expensive Canon f1.4 has 8 blades and of course much better 'bokeh' than the f1.8.

Here's a couple of examples of 'bokeh' from my old photography blog - notice the blurriness of the background and the shape of the lights/highlights... these were with the old Canon f1.8

The Xmas lights behind the glass - https://villageboi./2009/10/28/fourt/
Seen mainly in the water - https://villageboi./2011/06/08/listen/
. Hello boss..

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Teenager Awesome Drawings. / Follow Along As I Create This Animation Worth #150,000 / You Are Driving Your Car, Stay Behind This Bike ....YES Or NO ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.