Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish (3920 Views)

Photos: Swedish Gays Pride Parade Swallowed Up By God's Wrath / Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? / Was Jonah Really Alive In The Belly Of Fish? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 11:31am On May 19, 2009
Jesus believed Jonah was swallowed up by a whale, as in

"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matthew 12:40).

But in the old testament, the creature involved as a big fish:

. . . the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah" (Jonah 1:17)

So what really did swallow up Jonah? Was it a whale or a fish?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Tonyet1(m): 11:34am On May 19, 2009
Huxley dem don ban you abi

Huxley         -      the spirit

Huxley2       -      the soul

Huxley3       -      the body

u gu soon finish     

you will never learn ~rotflmao~

Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 11:41am On May 19, 2009
tonye-t:

Huxley dem don ban you abi

Huxley         -      the spirit

Huxley2       -      the soul

Huxley3       -      the body

u gu soon finish     

you will never learn ~rotflmao~

And your point is? Has the banning actually stop me from posting?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Tonyet1(m): 11:54am On May 19, 2009
soon they'll ban HUXLEY2 and you'll only be left with Huxley3 and soon b4 you know there wont be anymore Huxley

lol
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 12:02pm On May 19, 2009
tonye-t:

soon they'll ban HUXLEY2 and you'll only be left with Huxley3 and soon b4 you know there wont be anymore Huxley

lol

Do you really think I am scared of being banned. It makes little difference, other than the small inconvenience of having to register. I, as a person, can carry on posting as long as I want, albeit under different names. The name is not want is important, as much as the info I put out there.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Horus(m): 1:45pm On May 19, 2009
Jonah 1:17: “Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.”

Matthew 12:40: “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, ”

If God prepared this whale specifically for Jonah (or Jonas), was it a whale that had been created in the beginning, and evolved through the ages? If so, then Jonah would not have been able to survive in its belly.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 2:04pm On May 19, 2009
What do you know about the Astrological sign Pisces and it's relation to christianity? And also the Pisces Austrinus.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by BloodShed1: 3:08pm On May 19, 2009
LMAO The contradictions are too much.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Bastage: 3:36pm On May 19, 2009
It could have been a Whale Shark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark grin grin

To tell the truth though, Jonah is yet another of those stories not to be taken literally.
It is meant to be an illustration of Jonah's god's power and mercy.

Huxley. If you do get banned again, at least let us know who you are so that I know who am debating with. wink

@Pastor AIO. Pisces Austrinus? All I know about it is that it is meant to symbolise the age of Christianity in astrology.
Can you expand?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 3:45pm On May 19, 2009
Bastage:

It could have been a Whale Shark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark grin grin

To tell the truth though, Jonah is yet another of those stories not to be taken literally.

Huxley. If you do get banned again, at least let us know who you are so that I know who am debating with. wink

@Pastor AIO. Pisces Austrinus? All I know about it is that it is meant to symbolise the age of Christianity in astrology.
Can you expand?

Is huxley2 not remarkably similar to huxley? Could you not have made that leap-of-faith? pardon the pun.

Which bit of the Jonah story was allegorical - his entire life OR the incident of the whale/fish?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Bastage: 4:08pm On May 19, 2009
huxley2:

Is huxley2 not remarkably similar to huxley? Could you not have made that leap-of-faith? pardon the pun.
Which bit of the Jonah story was allegorical - his entire life OR the incident of the whale/fish

I said if you get banned again. You may decide not to come back as Huxley3 and use an unconnected name.

I take his entire life to be allegorical.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 4:13pm On May 19, 2009
Eratosthenes called this the Great Fish and said that it was the parent of the two smaller fishes of the zodiacal constellation Pisces. Like Pisces, its mythology has a Middle Eastern setting that reveals its Babylonian origin. According to the brief account of Eratosthenes, the Syrian fertility goddess Derceto (the Greek name for Atargatis) is supposed to have fallen into a lake at Bambyce near the river Euphrates in northern Syria, and was saved by a large fish. Hyginus says, in repetition of his note on Pisces, that as a result of this the Syrians do not eat fish but they worship the images of fish as gods. All the accounts of this constellation’s mythology are disappointingly sketchy.

According to the Greek writer Diodorus Siculus, Derceto deliberately threw herself into a lake at Ascalon in Palestine as a suicide bid in shame for a love affair with a young Syrian, Caystrus, by whom she bore a daughter, Semiramis. Derceto killed her lover and abandoned her child, who was brought up by doves and later became queen of Babylon. In the lake, Derceto was turned into a mermaid, half woman, half fish.
From here:
http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/piscisaustrinus.htm

Bastage:

Can you expand?

What do you know about the Precession of the Equinoxes?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by jumie(f): 4:17pm On May 19, 2009
Dumb question,

Is a whale not a fish?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by toneyb: 4:23pm On May 19, 2009
Myths and Legends are not written to make any sense but for people to believe in them. I still find it hard understanding why Africans most especially believe in these bogus and ridiculous nonsense. When men were primitive and less aware of how the forces of nature operate only then did we get to hear about all these ridiculous tales.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 4:29pm On May 19, 2009
jumie:

Dumb question,

Is a whale not a fish?

Can some despatch this man back to some school of learning.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 4:46pm On May 19, 2009
toneyb:

Myths and Legends are not written to make any sense but for people to believe in them. I still find it hard understanding why Africans most especially believe in these bogus and ridiculous nonsense. When men were primitive and less aware of how the forces of nature operate only then did we get to hear about all these ridiculous tales.

What advanced knowledge of nature's forces is it that informs us that it will be impossible to breath inside a fish?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by tpiah: 4:48pm On May 19, 2009
what are the greek words translated as whale and fish?

I dont see why people like giving themselves headaches over nothing.

besides, there are occasional documented cases of men being accidentally swallowed by whales. Most dont survive however.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by toshacer: 4:49pm On May 19, 2009
@Poster

Even my 3 year old knows that a whale is also a fish - what is your point realy?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Bastage: 4:49pm On May 19, 2009
Pastor AIO:

What do you know about the Precession of the Equinoxes?

Nothing. Is it anything to do with the Age of Aquarius?
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Tudor3(m): 4:55pm On May 19, 2009
Age of aquairus. . . . .i guess it was the time mammy water married pappy water. . .
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by huxley2(m): 4:56pm On May 19, 2009
tosh_acer:

@Poster

Even my 3 year old knows that a whale is also a fish - what is your point realy?

tpiah:

what are the greek words translated as whale and fish?

I dont see why people like giving themselves headaches over nothing.

besides, there are occasional documented cases of men being accidentally swallowed by whales. Most dont survive however.

A whale is a warm-blooded mammal that lives in water.  It has live-youngs and breastfeeds that like any mammal.  It has lungs like you and me and needs to bread air like all mammals.  Fish are nothing like this.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by toshacer: 5:16pm On May 19, 2009
so a whale is not a fish? hmmm.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 5:25pm On May 19, 2009
Bastage:

Nothing. Is it anything to do with the Age of Aquarius?

Yep!

In astronomy, precession refers to a gravity-induced slow but continuous change in an astronomical body's rotational axis or orbital path. In particular, it refers to the gradual shift in the orientation of the Earth's axis of rotation, which, like a wobbling top, traces out a conical shape in a cycle of approximately 26,000 years (called a Great or Platonic year in astrology).

The Earth tilts on it's axis and the tilt shifts in a circle and it take 26, 000 years to make one cycle.  Consequently the Earth tilts towards a sign of the zodiac (ie a 1/12th of the circle) for about 2,160 years and then it shifts into another sign.  In recent decades there has been a big deal made about the precession away from the sign of Pisces into the Age of Aquarius.  It has been the Age of the sign of Pisces for the last 2,160 years.  In fact right about the time christianity started the Age of Pisces had just begun.  

Each of the zodiacs signs has it's own distinct mythology.  The mythology of Pisces describes the salvation by a fish of someone who falls into a water.  Sometimes the victim falls into the sea other times into a well or a hole in the ground.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by toneyb: 5:32pm On May 19, 2009
Pastor AIO:

What advanced knowledge of nature's forces is it that informs us that it will be impossible to breath inside a fish?

A simply study of how the digestive system of a fish operates is enough to make you understand that no human can survive in side a fish for 3 days. Where will the air that he will need to breath come from? The nostrils of Yahweh I guess grin grin
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 5:40pm On May 19, 2009
Aphrodite and her son Eros took cover among the reeds on the banks of the Euphrates, but when the wind rustled the undergrowth Aphrodite became fearful. Holding Eros in her lap she called for help to the water nymphs and leapt into the river. In one version of the story, two fishes swam up and carried Aphrodite and Eros to safety on their backs, although in another version the two refugees were themselves changed into fish. The mythologists said that because of this story the Syrians would not eat fish. An alternative story, given by Hyginus in the Fabulae, is that an egg fell into the Euphrates and was rolled to the shore by some fish. Doves sat on the egg and from it hatched Aphrodite who, in gratitude, put the fish in the sky. Eratosthenes wrote that the two fishes represented by Pisces were offspring of the fish that is represented by the constellation Piscis Austrinus.

http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/pisces.htm
toneyb:

A simply study of how the digestive system of a fish operates is enough to make you understand that no human can survive in side a fish for 3 days. Where will the air that he will need to breath come from? The nostrils of Yahweh I guess grin grin

Those ancients must have been really backward minded if they were so unaware of the digestive system of a fish.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by tpiah: 5:42pm On May 19, 2009
huxley2:

A whale is a warm-blooded mammal that lives in water.  It has live-youngs and breastfeeds that like any mammal.  It has lungs like you and me and needs to bread air like all mammals.  Fish are nothing like this.

a simple matter of classification.

If they wanted to, scientist could rephrase their definition of what a fish is.

A platypus is a mammal yet it lays eggs, has a beak, and is venomous- all characteristics of reptiles and amphibians.

In the olden days, whales and dolphins would be considered fish since they live in the sea and have fish shaped bodies.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Bastage: 5:56pm On May 19, 2009
@ Pastor AIO.

Then isn't it likely that the story of Jonah is based on Babylonian astrology?
I do know that is where the Greeks adapted their Hellenic system from.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 6:57pm On May 19, 2009
Bastage:

@ Pastor AIO.

Then isn't it likely that the story of Jonah is based on Babylonian astrology?
I do know that is where the Greeks adapted their Hellenic system from.

I would hesitate to call it Babylonian. But yes there are strong elements of astrology throughout the bible from start to finish. And yes the Jews took a lot from the babylonians and Persians in style when they were in exile in Babylon. Although it is worth remembering that Abraham himself is said to come from mesopotamia. The style of much of what is in the bible is overwhelmingly bablylonian and Persian even down to God's appellation as 'King of Kings and Lord of Lords". This was the title of the Persian monarchs. Basically the Jews addressed Jehovah the same way the Persians addressed their kings.

"Shah/Syah" was the title of Iranian kings including the Achaemenid dynasty which unified Persia and created a vast intercontinental empire. The full title of the Achaemenid rulers was xšāyaθiya xšāyaθiyānām, "King of Kings", corresponding to Middle Persian šāhān šāh, literally "kings' king", and Modern Persian shāhanshāh (شاهنشاه). In Greek this phrase was translated as "βασιλεύς τῶν βασιλέων (basileus tōn basiléōn)", "king of kings", in rank rather equivalent to emperor. The Indian counterpart of shahanshah was rajadhiraja or kshetra-pati (more toward Padishah). Both were often shortened to their root, shah viz. basileus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shah

Ariaramnes was the first to call himself "King of Kings," a title which Persian sovereigns have continued to employ until the present day, but we do not know how he lost his kingdom to his brother. For a few brief years Cyrus rules over Parsumash, Anshan, and Parsa He is followed by his son Cambyses, who married into the royal family of Media. From the union between the gentle King Cambyses and Princess Mandane was born a son called Kurush, whom we know as Cyrus the Great.

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/splendor_persia_kings1.php
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Horus(m): 6:58pm On May 19, 2009

"In the ancient legends of the Babylonians
there was "Oannes" called "Lord of the Waves".
He was amphibious, having the torso and head
of a man but upon his head was the head of a
fish with gaping mouth
and draping downward
were the back of the fish, complete with scales
and tail.

Notice in the comparison pictures above
that the ancient Priest of the Fish-God "Dagon"
is wearing a fish robe  with the Fish's
head being placed directly upon the priest's
own head.  The opened mouth of the fish looks
exactly as the "mitre" hat of the pope with
the mouth Opened.

Not only does the pope wear this "Mitre" hat,
but so do the Cardinals on certain occasions
when they are dressed in their royal regalia.
The Mystery religion of ancient Babylon / Assyria,
was noted for the priestly class of "Dagon" in
much the same way that the "Mystery" religion of
Rome has copied it.

Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by PastorAIO: 7:09pm On May 19, 2009
Horus:

"In the ancient legends of the Babylonians
there was "Oannes" called "Lord of the Waves".
He was amphibious, having the torso and head
of a man but upon his head was the head of a
fish with gaping mouth
and draping downward
were the back of the fish, complete with scales
and tail.

Notice in the comparison pictures above
that the ancient Priest of the Fish-God "Dagon"
is wearing a fish robe  with the Fish's
head being placed directly upon the priest's
own head.  The opened mouth of the fish looks
exactly as the "mitre" hat of the pope with
the mouth Opened.

Not only does the pope wear this "Mitre" hat,
but so do the Cardinals on certain occasions
when they are dressed in their royal regalia.
The Mystery religion of ancient Babylon / Assyria,
was noted for the priestly class of "Dagon" in
much the same way that the "Mystery" religion of
Rome has copied it.

But Dagon is a semitic God not a Babylonian one. (and btw Dag is the word that is used in the book of Jonah that is translated to fish.) Quite right that Oannes is a Babylonian God of Water. And from his name comes John, as in John the water baptiser (as opposed to the fire baptiser).

The mitre looks strikingly like a fish, you're right.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by Bastage: 8:02pm On May 19, 2009
The Jews wore head-dresses not mitres.
Christians probably copied the mitre from Mithraism.
Re: Was Jonah Swallowed Up By A Whale Or By A Fish by chidichris(m): 6:51pm On May 27, 2009
wether crocodie, seadog or seabird swallowed johna, the most important thing here is that there was swallow.
the lesson was on his disobident to God's words and the possibilities of God making his ways in our lives.
there was a man (jonah) who disobeyed God and ran into a boat. because of his presence, the boat was disrupted until he was thrown out of the boat.
most of ppl have gone so mad that they have respect for nothing and nobody even God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Christians Worship / Will God Send Me To Hell Because Of This? {PHOTO} / How Do I Pray My Family Out Of Stagnation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.