Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,835 members, 7,798,811 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize (38303 Views)

Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment / Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017 / How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by segello: 1:48pm On Nov 16, 2015

Femi was the first to resume at work on Monday as he has always done for over a year now. From 7am till 7pm he worked like a robot non stop. It is a torrid job but one that he has now gotten used to. Several staff of the month awards had also followed, providing him with the right cushion to bear the stress. And so when he turned on his computer that faithful Monday morning and couldn’t log on to his profile, it never occurred to him that he has just been rendered jobless.

A lot of Nigerians have fallen victim of corporate downsizing and mass sackings in large corporations and financial institutions across the country. Many who have fallen victim often do not understand the criteria used, as employees who have had unblemished records often fall victim also. We spoke to HR practitioners who have at one time or the other been involved in corporate downsizing. They inform us of a series of criteria that companies use to determine who stays or who goes.

LIFO – LIFO is an acronym for Last In First Out and is a frequently used mode of sacking. Here the most recent employee in a unit, department or office will be fired should there be a need to put names forward. It doesn’t actually matter if the employee was a performer or was just recently hired for a recent job position. Joan, an employee of a popular Car Sales Shop in Lagos, inform Nairametrics that she got fired three months after being employed. She was told that the company was going through some financial stress and was purely a victim of LIFO.

FIFO – This is an acronym for First In First Out and is the opposite of LIFO. Here employees who are already close to retiring are put forward for corporate downsizing. For example, employees with months or a few years to retire are fast tracked and asked to leave. The FIFO approach is not as common as LIFO but is used by some organisations as well.

Disciplinary Issues – Here employees who have been queried or found wanting in the past are put forward for consideration in the event of a mass sack. Managers who have been mandated to use this criteria call for the files of employees in their Units and then start to look for who has had the most disciplinary issues. For example, staff on single or final warnings will most likely be asked to leave compared to those who have only been queried. An employee of a commercial bank who wished to remain anonymous informed us that she was served a warning letter because she will not sleep with her boss. Eventually when the company was downsizing she got affected.

Appraisal – Companies also rely on results of periodic appraisals in deciding whether an employee or employees should be recommended for a sack. Appraisals involve reviewing an employee’s performance against key performance indicators during a review period. Those who perform below their peers are often singled out for sack. Eddie (not real name) informed Nairametrics that he was told to leave after he came last during a general appraisal conducted in his unit. Prior to that he had met his KPI’s only to be asked to leave after he supposedly came last in a new round of appraisals specifically conducted for the purpose of looking for who to go.

Redundancy – Organisations also decide who gets sacked or not by weeding our redundant roles or departments. For organisations that are not just looking to downsize but are also restructuring, redundancy methods are a common feature. For example, multiple roles and job functions can be collapsed thus churning out redundant positions making it easier to sack. This method is often easier for organisations as it doesn’t target specific individuals but roles. Another victim interviewed by Nairametrics said he was told that his role in a leading foreign airline was made redundant after the company closed and outsourced its call center.

Set criteria – There are also instances where certain criteria such as age, qualification and experience are used as a basis for mass sack. Department heads can make decisions on who to sack if victimes fall short against their peers in terms of qualifications and experience. HR practitioners inform Nairametrics that this criteria was perhaps a major factor in the increase of spate of Nigerians going abroad for higher degrees.

Random selection – This is perhaps the worst method and is used mostly in cases where a large percentage of employees are required to leave. Here employees scheduled for sack are hand-picked regardless of their commitment, work ethics or value. Department heads are simply instructed to recommend a number of people for sack regardless of their performance. It typically happens in organisations that are facing major financial difficulties. A lot of oil servicing companies were said to have used random selection in sacking thousands of employees this year as price of oil crashed and oil majors cut down budgets.

Femi got to know later that he was a victim of Random Selection. His boss had a choice to make between him and another staff who was married and had a family to feed. Being single meant Femi was an easier target.

Source: .http://nairametrics.com/how-nigerian-companies-choose-who-to-fire-when-they-downsize/

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Koboseadotorg(m): 9:20am On Nov 17, 2015
PRAGLO: PRAGLO is an acronym for "post rubbish and get laid off.
If you are the type that post rubbish on social network (nairaland, facebook etc) they probability that you will be laid off when the company is downsizing is higher.

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by macaranta(m): 6:43pm On Nov 17, 2015
Even if sackings are inevitable in most circumstances, the Nigerian Labour market lacks the proper structure /labour regulations to curb unreasonable job-cuts.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Godswillnwaoma(m): 6:43pm On Nov 17, 2015
So many reasons why I love entrepreneurship.set up something no matter how small it may look, just start from there and with your hard work and perseverance you must get there. If I lie ask peace mass transit company.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by jenyfah(f): 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
Don't Laugh alone! Dem say Boko Haram don poison beans after I buy half bag for house. From the one wey I cook, I give my dog, Bingo, make im first test am. 45mins later, bingo still dey waka, dey jolly. Na im I come chop my own. After I don chop finish, my gateman run come tel me say bingo don die, hey! I run enter house, begin drink full gallon of palm oil for my belle, chop 22 bitter kola wit 3 long bitter leaf stem, chop walnuts with the shell no time to crack, swallow moringa with aloe vera as treatment combo. Garlic and onions be like sweet for my mouth. I come dey sweat as if na oven be my bedroom. I dey think say my life don finish. I come outside. Na im gate man com they tell me say the driver wey kill bingo wan come beg me! If na u, wetin u go do the gate man? Don't laugh alone.........

160 Likes 21 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by prodiG(m): 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
undecided
Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by 360ng: 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
lasisi69:
End time

indeed.. many are mad but few are roaming..this guy is a perfect example... angry

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Shinelle(f): 6:45pm On Nov 17, 2015
LIFO FIFO and weighted average lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by otabuko(m): 6:45pm On Nov 17, 2015
E concern me? Who gimme work?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by DICKtator: 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2015
Loool

FIFO AND LIFO that inventory managers use for stock/inventory measurement is what HR borrowed and used as a termination jargon?

Loool!!

grin grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by englishmart(m): 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2015
bullshits.... Honestly you've got no valid point

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by lasisi69(f): 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2015
360ng:

indeed.. many are mad but few are roaming..this guy is a perfect example... angry
Okay

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by PLANETMARS(m): 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2015
END TIME lasisi

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Dahveydson(m): 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2015
Enlightening.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by damton(m): 6:47pm On Nov 17, 2015
OK
softandmoist:
Not true. Village people could be doing you.

Lmao grin. If they do you , u too should do them
Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by englishmart(m): 6:47pm On Nov 17, 2015
otabuko:
E concern me? Who gimme work?
. As in wet in concern mosquito with muscle pull

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 17, 2015
Issapity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by softandmoist(f): 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2015
Not true. Village people could be doing you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by lonelydora: 6:49pm On Nov 17, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by fleps(m): 6:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
Really?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Timoviral(m): 6:51pm On Nov 17, 2015

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by teeboila(m): 6:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
this op ought to be sacked for posting what even a toddler knows about employment and sacking.
Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by Beno3: 6:52pm On Nov 17, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by lonelydora: 6:52pm On Nov 17, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:
PRAGLO: PRAGLO is an acronym for "post rubbish and get laid off.
If you are the type that post rubbish on social network (nairaland, facebook etc) they probability that you will be laid off when the company is downsizing is higher.

Except if it's a government work where the ogas are partisan. My managers get to see my partisan but logical posts on facebook against GEJ then. But I wasn't affected. Sack me and sack your destiny.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize by deeswagger: 6:53pm On Nov 17, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mass Retirement Of Senior NDDC Staff Looms / Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.