Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? (40519 Views)

In Need Of IT Job / It Job And Library Manager Job In Lagos / Urgent It Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by RuuDie(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2009
charles / chuckvyl,

you are right on the fact that for starters in Nigerian IT industry, its the IT Support / Helpdesk being the best bet.

I'm currently working as IT Support in the O&G and it wasn't easy to get the job - in fact, i have to say i was very lucky to get it. it was like the lotto; someone just picked me outta the crowd. Most of the top jobs go to the Expats - Indians, Americans, Brits etc.

So i think its best if the poster started out small and then grew on the job so to speak. . . . might take a while but i guess it'd be worth it!
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by eris221(m): 12:54pm On May 22, 2009
My name is Eric and I saw your post.

I just finished my CCNA course and i am in search of jobs.

Please link me up.

Thanks
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by adapcee(m): 12:58pm On May 22, 2009
@kvolander,i think by now you should be able to determine which career path best suit you coz i mst say landers have deeply contribute one way or the other.
As for me,i am still on exactly wat i told you then coz i am speaking 4rm little experience i have.I also have a degree in comp sc with series of professional trainning/exam in Networking and yet hav'nt secure my desired job,so wat wil i do dan to kip digging for my future job and also,keep striking all the necessary professional courses.
@kvolander,lets jxt keep praying coz 1day i am sure smthng will cme up.Good luck to us all.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by BIDEEN: 6:24pm On May 22, 2009
hello nick what do you want to know about aptech , I have an alumni, LOLZA
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by muhbest(m): 6:28pm On May 22, 2009
Hey

onlysose( Ahmed) you seem to know a lot for a regular Nigerian IT guy living in Nigeria, but for the salary is not right, I  have over ten years experiences in networking, a degree ccna, mcse, ccnp (expire) not  making $80,000, only making $70,000 plus.
Take care
Muh
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by ASL33: 9:01pm On May 22, 2009
Hi Guys how can i get the volunteer job in UK am doing my CCNA now hoping to finish by july and write my industrial exams.
Any help will be appreciated.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by Profkenny1(m): 11:19pm On May 22, 2009
First I want you to know that there are numerous jobs for chemical engineers out there cos I'm also a fellow chemical engineer. Have you forgotten that chemical engineering is a wide discipline?the branches include: petroleum,process control,reaction engineering,environmental engineering,process design and biochemical engineering(well I don't know d school u went to because most of these universities except OAU only treat chemical engineering superficially) . All these are enough to contribute to the financial making of man in life,just pick any one and specialize in it. For your information I am a process control engineer working with a multinational(not an oil company) in Lagos and I'm doing very fine.
YOUNG MAN I WISH YOU BEST OF LUCK smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by onlysose(m): 3:42pm On May 24, 2009
muhbest

thanks for the compliment , the internet has made the world flat , flat in the sense that it doesnt matter where you are physically. you can compete with any one any where.

you have the potential of earning 80k per annum with your skills right now you are under paid
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by na2day2(m): 7:18pm On May 24, 2009
onlysose:

muhbest

thanks for the compliment , the internet has made the world flat , flat in the sense that it doesnt matter where you are physically. you can compete with any one any where.

you have the potential of earning 80k per annum with your skills right now you are under paid

80k naira or 80k dollars per year? undecided undecided undecided undecided please it better be dollars otherwise u no serious ooo
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by bigboyslim(m): 11:41pm On May 24, 2009
I wonder why people are still writing CCNA in this age. Not to be sarcastic or anything, I think having a CCNA in Nigeria further reduces your chances of getting a job.

In my humble opinion, don't write any Networking certification exam in Naija unless you have like 2 years experience. On a more serious note, maybe you can write a CCNA if you are really interested in Networking but I won't advise you to keep writing more certifications after that because you would only be wasting your money if you dont have the experience. Whats the point having a CCNP if you've never designed and practically implemented a simple LAN. It's time for us to stop making our annual contribution to Cisco's profits.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by na2day2(m): 11:50pm On May 24, 2009
bigboyslim:

I wonder why people are still writing CCNA in this age. Not to be sarcastic or anything, I think having a CCNA in Nigeria further reduces your chances of getting a job.

In my humble opinion, don't write any Networking certification exam in Naija unless you have like 2 years experience. On a more serious note, maybe you can write a CCNA if you are really interested in Networking but I won't advise you to keep writing more certifications after that because you would only be wasting your money if you dont have the experience.  Whats the point having a CCNP if you've never designed and practically implemented a simple LAN. It's time for us to stop making our annual contribution to Cisco's profits.

****sighs**** what is the point of having an education, a degree since u will still have graduate without experience (at least for 80% of the folks). dude seriously, u can make a better argument than that lame talk.  sad sad sad
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by pespes: 1:18pm On May 25, 2009
Hi there, The easiest way out is by putting God first, then find ur way around either data, networking, security or programming, i am mcdba , ocp and now i work in a consulting firm where i practice Enterprise Architecture and IT service management.
I am TOGAF 8 and ITIL certified, so believe me u have to first ask God for directions.

N:B: The only thing that keep you going IT is the passion and not the money cos at a point u might not land a very good spot and Job at the beginning but subsequently u'll pull through .
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by opensource(m): 2:16pm On May 25, 2009

In my humble opinion, don't write any Networking certification exam in Naija unless you have like 2 years experience. On a more serious note, maybe you can write a CCNA if you are really interested in Networking but I won't advise you to keep writing more certifications after that because you would only be wasting your money if you dont have the experience.  Whats the point having a CCNP if you've never designed and practically implemented a simple LAN. It's time for us to stop making our annual contribution to Cisco's profits.

Why do we invest in our future , when we know we could die any moment from now.
Why do you go to school to become graduate , when we read of millions of unemployed graduates.  (that's just some silly shit)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by eris221(m): 2:09pm On May 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply, i do appreciate it.I want to know your honest opinion. I intended taking the MCSE course with NIIT. what will you advise since you've been in the IT world longer than me.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by Elgaxton(m): 3:14pm On May 26, 2009
Hi Y'all

For anybody to excel in His job as an IT person, u dont need certification until u are good by urself!

You have to love IT to be good at it, u know why? most certified people in Naija just know theory

no practicals like Naija school courses.

Easiest I.T sector to delve into is web design/ animation/ graphics
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by ogajim(m): 2:13am On May 27, 2009
I can't speak for UK or Nigeria since I don't see myself working in any of these places but the guys that advised you to start with the basics are correct. With no experience, you need A+, and then something like Network +, you basically need to stay in the CompTia arena until you get your foor in the door and see how it is in the real world, with a couple of years under your belt, you can then figure out if "sysadmin", databases, networking, "infosec" or even programming. The US market is distinct from the rest of the World when it comes to IT and forget those salary surveys as different regions here have different things to offer. 70k in the south probably beats 6 figure salaries in the North East or the West coast.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by Sprumbaba: 6:53pm On May 29, 2009
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by SfunnyGuy: 12:07am On Jun 09, 2009
Can someone give me a comprehensive description to APTECH and tell me the programme and cost per programme they run there such as CCNA, Network+, MCSE etc? Cos i would want to enroll for any lucrative IT training.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by Meldrick(m): 4:26pm On Jun 09, 2009
ade2kay:

Why does every Tom, prick and harry want to switch into I.T the moment they can't get jobs in their fields ?
I believe when you decided to study a course in school you signed an invisible bond to stick with that thru thick and thin.

How can we ever move forward in Nigeria if supposed professionals jump ship at the slight instant,

I was one of the best students in my dept in school, but i spent 10months at home after NYSC, i culdnt imagine myself doing a boring bank job after having invested so much in my career when i was in school, All i knew was that i just needed a little opening, any job, and that would be it, with this mentality, i was able to accept a job of 30k (15k for the first two months), 3months later, i got another job of 60k, and now on another of double that, and i am just starting,

Guy, you need to get your acts right !, There are so many people out there that would give an arm for those Chemical Engr. degrees you have, ask me, cos i wish i did engineering too !

Abeg, no flood I.T with your Toronto certificates o!, anyway, bring them on, cos if you meet someone like me on an interview panel, i always know how to separate I.T jobbers from I.T enthusiasts,

Guy, the ball is in your courts

Most every body be like you? You have your cross to carry so does the poster. How can u seperate ur socalled jobbers and enthusiast. They are all in the field making money. Go search them out.
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by demolazpet(m): 5:16pm On Jun 09, 2009
hi,
i think everybody who have contributed did well.Am a system Administrator/support Engr.i had the same problem when i graduated but i had a passion for IT, ESPECIALLY the hardware/Network aspect of the IT.i started with computer Engineering, and with a certification i got a job with becos i really know it.From there the experience built up, got a lot of materials (i mean video materials on A+,N+, CCNA,CCNP,MSCE,CISSP,CISA, EXCHANGE SERVER etc.I update myself with this materials and i manage to write CCNA.Each i go for ineterview ,i dazzle them with the stuffs i have read.am moving forward on my certification now.At least i have a job that can take care of that now
My guy so what matter most is the passion you have in what you want to do and choose a line of action. What give you and edge is start with something and always update urself by getting up to date information.Experience is edge in IT.Choose aplace for your training,start with A+, THEN CCNA,IF YOU LIKE NETWORK/HARDWARE.Certification is the answer in IT but your experience will do most of the job.And always learn to experiment.
Make a decision to day, and get close to those who has the experience,we can talk more on this numder 08033744942
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by nonysmith(m): 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2009
@ade2kay
dats why ure not in an interview panel tongue, the poster needs direction and constructive advice not condemnation, remember pride comes b4 a fall, so because u don dey earn 120k make nobody come IT again even if i read yoruba technology SEF, taketime ohhhhh
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by ade2kay(m): 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2009
nonysmith:

@ade2kay
dats why ure not in an interview panel tongue, the poster needs direction and constructive advice not condemnation, remember pride comes b4 a fall, so because u don dey earn 120k make nobody come IT again even if i read yoruba technology SEF, taketime ohhhhh

Noted,

I apologise,

@poster, wishing you all the best, sorry for my outburst smiley
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by soulamanne(m): 3:07pm On Jun 11, 2009
Just as chukvyl pointed out, i quite agree with him, am in the I.T industry also and the best way to get in is by system administration/support. From there you can climb to any heights. If you can start with support then you would need stuffs like MSCE added with CCNA, from there you most likely would get into the job force and be able to afford the rest also you would get the exposure needed.
After this you could start considering the high end Certifications where the big bucks are: SAP, CCIE, AVAYA, RF (Radio frequency). But you have to get in somewhere to start basicly. Thats what i did, and it worked for me!! Am where i want to be right now.
Also this is just my opinion, might not be a professional advice. Good luck and welcome onboard.

this guy THINKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by v3: 2:02pm On Jun 25, 2010
@Poster
I had to dump the Cisco track (too many CCNA guys in the market, anyone could become a CCNA holder overnight) for Microsoft. I'm currently studying Windows Server 2008 and trust me, it ain't easy cuz all i've got are video tutorials and no simulator yet but i'm getting the hang of it.

You desire is motivated by how much you have on you and how far you're willing to go mate.

All the best wink
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by marami: 4:19pm On Sep 03, 2010
@V3, Pls how can i get the video tutorial. Megiszo@yahoo.com
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by dtc2k(m): 9:54am On Nov 27, 2012
Tell your Boss, Church Members, Jumat Worshipers, Asalatu Members, Imam, Pastor, Choir Members, Office colleagues, family friends, 2go pals room mates, NYSC CDS groups and anybody you really love and care about...

Nov/Dec DISCOUNT-Upgrade your computer skills at very short time and under the best environment,with just 10,000 (3 Months) Morning/Afternoon;6,000 (3 Months)Evening Sessions.

DIVINE TOUCH COMPUTERS SCHOOL:Ibara, Abeokuta. Ogun State. BIG and BETTER. Visit us today or Text for further inquiries: 08039408822, 08088387338, 08179409183

Our unbeatable quality courses includes:
-Information Processing Systems (IPS)2 months
-Information Computation Program (ICP)3 Months
-Project Management Program (PMP)4 months
-Inside Graphics Program (IGP)4 months
-Career Enhanced Program (ECP)6 Months
-Computer Engineering (CEGN)4 months
-Financial Database Management (FDM)4 Months
-AutoCAD Program (ACAD)4 months

All with focused flexible training options:- MORNING/AFTERNOON/EVENING
Monday-Friday (WEEKDAYS CLASSES) -
Saturday-Sunday (WEEKEND CLASSES) -

Training Under the Best Enviroment
-AIR CONDITIONED TRAINING ROOMS WITH PROJECTORS
-CONSTANT POWER SUPPLY (STAND-BY-GENERATORS)
-1 COMPUTER = 1 STUDENT (FULL PRACTICAL COURSES) 3 HOURS DAILY
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by SunnyJ2: 9:06am On Feb 23, 2015
You guys have got a brain. with all the certification and training listed above can one become self employ with any of it?
and which of them what is the chances of making it?
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by younghero2: 5:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
Pls I need advice on what else to to. I jst finished my ccna traning abt to take the exam, I have also a+ certification. bt am jst confused on wat to do after that. I dnt have a degree yet, so I dnt know if I should enroll into niit MMS program. Or should I jst further ahead with ccna security nd ccnp. I jst dnt know hw true the niit MMS program is. Can I use it to apply for a top up to get a degree in india? Or any other place. Nd how much is it gona cost me. Pls I will appreciate ur advice. Tanks 09037938274 Kcjust.info2@gmail.com
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by harlyon(m): 1:26am On May 10, 2016
get a work experience and build on it .
look around you there are lots of cyber cafe around.go there and volunteer.get your hands working with computers
Re: What Is The Best Certification For Someone Who Needs An IT Job? by HOYINDARMORLAR: 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You're Not Qualified For A Job But You Have Connections / My Job Interview Experience Today / Npower News Nairaland Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.