Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,369 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:19 PM

And The Seller Vanished! - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / And The Seller Vanished! (4056 Views)

The Seller Lied To The Buyer, That's The Reason For This Thread. / Clean Gx 470 for 2.3m From A Distress Seller / $$$$$$ 9ja Used 2005 Jaguar S-type For N1.7m Negotiable Call Seller! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by uboma(m): 7:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I don't see any issue personally.

1) You purchased a used car. Unless the car comes with a warranty then the onus is on the buyer to make sure the merchandise offered for sale will serve the intended purpose.

2) The seller, unless as part of the sales effort offers to remain available, has no obligation to remain available to you.

Good luck with your car.

I disagree with you.

Lets not support fraudsters in any way.

Did the seller inform the buyer of the poor condition of the engine? The answer is NO.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by uboma(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
@ op, if Davids202 does not give his own side to the story by midnight today, i will like you to please post his full names and account details here.

I will paste his information on the social media (facebook and twitter) for all to see how dubious he is.

Kindly mention my moniker after posting his data so i can see it on time.

The auto section cannot continue like this. Lets join hands to rid the forum of scam artists.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2015
uboma:

I disagree with you.

Did the seller inform the buyer of the poor condition of the engine? The answer is NO.

I've sold over 200 personal vehicles and I have a standard bill of sale that I use because of just this purpose.

Seller drove the car away under its own power, did he not?

I don't think this buyer or any buyer for that matter will buy a knowingly bad car.

I'm still not convinced that there is anything untoward going on here unless otherwise proven. Cars go bad all the time.

On non supporting fraudsters, we agree on that and I'm yet to see evidence of any fraud.

3 Likes

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by uboma(m): 8:17pm On Nov 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I've sold over 200 personal vehicles and I have a standard bill of sale that I use because of just this purpose.

I don't think this buyer or any buyer for that matter will buy a knowingly bad car.

I'm still not convinced that there is anything untoward going on here unless otherwise proven. Cars go bad all the time.

On non supporting fraudsters, we agree on that and I'm yet to see evidence of any fraud.

I choose not to debate this with you any further.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 18, 2015
uboma:

I choose not to debate this with you any further.

Okay my Brother, no worries.

Have a nice day Sir.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by davids202(m): 9:14am On Nov 19, 2015
I've been in a remote place so my glo doesn't work here pls.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by koboko69: 9:20am On Nov 19, 2015
davids202:
I've been in a remote place so my glo doesn't work here pls.

Why is it after every transactions that either the seller falls sicks...or travelled or in one desert of the other. ..

3 Likes

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Konboko: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2015
Nice to know you are OK. But you got me worried bad. Case solved
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Konboko: 12:57am On Nov 21, 2015
But your WhatsApp is still deactivated and number not going through
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 4:11am On Nov 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I don't see any issue personally.

1) You purchased a used car. Unless the car comes with a warranty then the onus is on the buyer to make sure the merchandise offered for sale will serve the intended purpose.

2) The seller, unless as part of the sales effort offers to remain available, has no obligation to remain available to you.

Good luck with your car.
sayings of a wise and experienced person with cars.
agree with u 100 percent.

and nairalanders, note that this is coming from someone who has lived a great deal overseas. and im sure has bought and sold most of his cars over there too. so,nobody shld bring in nigerian factor here.

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 4:12am On Nov 21, 2015
uboma:

I disagree with you.

theres no fraud here oga.

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 4:21am On Nov 21, 2015
uboma:
@ op, if Davids202 does not give his own side to the story by midnight today, i will like you to please post his full names and account details here.

I will paste his information on the social media (facebook and twitter) for all to see how dubious he is.

Kindly mention my moniker after posting his data so i can see it on time.

The auto section cannot continue like this. Lets join hands to rid the forum of scam artists.
ur own bad bele i dont understand, any thread of dis nature u just pop up and start making noise ,without even bothering to carefully go thru the thread/posts. u hv NO experience with cars and ur self imposed crusade to rid nairaland autos of scam is a fallacy
d op probably wldnt hv made this thread if d seller hadnt 'vanished' and had remained in touch to either assist him get a new engine or fix whatever went wrong with it (remember he said he was a stranger in ph), ur here busy shouting dubious and fraud, go tell dat 2 d guys at ladipo who sell tokunbo engines with 1/2 weeks guaranty/warranty!
anything cld hv happened to d engine. ph has bad roads, konboko might have burst his sump or something and lost oil, without knowing.
u cannot tell me that somebody bought an engine about to knock, and couldnt see any sign at all, not even a single one, na woman? abi pikin?

3 Likes

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 4:42am On Nov 21, 2015
rydow:
I bought my first car on NL.

The seller claims its a buy and drive and the truth is I bought and drive from Ilorin to Ibadan. Battery pack up in ibadan. Bought a new battery and drive to Lagos. It was in Lagos that the gear refused to change properly.
It was in Lagos that the suspension and seats becomes issues.

It was in Lagos that the power steering packed up. The Lagos am saying was Ojota oooo. Not my house. My friend towed the car home from egbeda wen I discovered I can't cope to drive the Man-Diesel home with strong steering wheel.

He knows himself and he is probably rating this thread .

My advice is 95% of buy and drive on NL is a scam. My Kazeem said it is only when a car starts to develop a fault that the owner remembers he wants to upgrade.

Please be wise
next time, buy a brand new car.
or cant u afford one? undecided
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 6:27am On Nov 21, 2015
koboko69:

Why is it after every transactions that either the seller falls sicks...or travelled or in one desert of the other. ..

whats ur point? ever heard of co-incidence?
atleast he has replied here right
"as a man thinketh, so is he"

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 6:29am On Nov 21, 2015
Konboko:

I beg to differ. From Port Harcourt to lokoja do you know how many police check points you'll meet? What if they try his number to confirm the transactions?
u must be joking. wasn't a receipt issued to u or something?
a policeman on d highway having to call someone u supposedly bought a car from, is most likely trying to 'chop' u
wake up my man
what if u hit d road, and engine didnt knock, and this above bolded scenario played out, and sellers number wasnt reachable(we knw naija networks), or switched off(his battery could have died, light no dey naija before grin) or whatever, what wld u now say? or do?
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 6:42am On Nov 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:

let us all take note of these once again!

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Konboko: 7:40am On Nov 21, 2015
ataspray:

u must be joking. wasn't a receipt issued to u or something?
a policeman on d highway having to call someone u supposedly bought a car from, is most likely trying to 'chop' u
wake up my man
what if u hit d road, and engine didnt knock, and this above bolded scenario played out, and sellers number wasnt reachable(we knw naija networks), or switched off(his battery could have died, light no dey naija before grin) or whatever, what wld u now say? or do?

He also deactivated his WhatsApp account and that got me worried. The change of ownership was hand written.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by uboma(m): 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
ataspray:

ur own bad bele i dont understand, any thread of dis nature u just pop up and start making noise ,without even bothering to carefully go thru the thread/posts. u hv NO experience with cars and ur self imposed crusade to rid nairaland autos of scam is a fallacy
d op probably wldnt hv made this thread if d seller hadnt 'vanished' and had remained in touch to either assist him get a new engine or fix whatever went wrong with it (remember he said he was a stranger in ph), ur here busy shouting dubious and fraud, go tell dat 2 d guys at ladipo who sell tokunbo engines with 1/2 weeks guaranty/warranty!
anything cld hv happened to d engine. ph has bad roads, konboko might have burst his sump or something and lost oil, without knowing.
u cannot tell me that somebody bought an engine about to knock, and couldnt see any sign at all, not even a single one, na woman? abi pikin?

Keep your thoughts to yourself Oga.

My advise to you is this, read through the thread again from the start and when your comprehension skills improves, then you can engage me in further conversation.

Until then, please keep your thoughts to yourself and learn to pass your points without resorting to insults.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by uboma(m): 8:12am On Nov 21, 2015
ataspray:
next time, buy a brand new car. or cant u afford one? undecided

You that is blabbing, can you afford a brand new car?
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Konboko: 8:15am On Nov 21, 2015
@ ataspray hope you are not Davids202?
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by koboko69: 9:33am On Nov 21, 2015
ataspray:

whats ur point? ever heard of co-incidence?
atleast he has replied here right
"as a man thinketh, so is he"
Cant u see how silly u sound. If you so sure of your sef why use an alternate moniker...use the moniker u are known with na. I don't have time for plebs bro..
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 10:04am On Nov 21, 2015
koboko69:

Cant u see how silly u sound. If you so sure of your sef why use an alternate moniker...use the moniker u are known with na. I don't have time for plebs bro..
say whatever u like, i am not the seller,just an objective contributor. ur d one with a knocked engine due to ur lack of due dilligence. ur here blaming the seller for not baby-sitting u from point of sale to ur doorstep, nonsense! and listen carefully ehn, even if u see d seller face to face, theres nothing u can do about it, if seller is a nice guy, he will give u a part of d money to buy a new engine. if hes not nice, nothing will still happen my man grin

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 10:06am On Nov 21, 2015
uboma:

You that is blabbing, can you afford a brand new car?
yes

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 10:32am On Nov 21, 2015
uboma:

Keep your thoughts to yourself Oga.

My advise to you is this, read through the thread again from the start and when your comprehension skills improves, then you can engage me in further conversation.

Until then, please keep your thoughts to yourself and learn to pass your points without resorting to insults.
not resorting to any insult. buyer bought a car from seller, on his way to his destination, engine of said car knocked, despite assurances from seller car was a buy and drive and in good condition bla bla. next thing u come here and start typing fraud and being dubious and what not.
he didnt state what happened to the engine, and how it got knocked. an instant engine knock in most cases would be due to serious loss of engine oil, from a burst sump most likely. EXCEPT he is categorically trying to say that he inspected the car, heard the 'knocking' sound coming from the engine and yet still paid for it and drove off.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by thegame(m): 11:59am On Nov 21, 2015
rydow:
I bought my first car on NL.

The seller claims its a buy and drive and the truth is I bought and drive from Ilorin to Ibadan. Battery pack up in ibadan. Bought a new battery and drive to Lagos. It was in Lagos that the gear refused to change properly.
It was in Lagos that the suspension and seats becomes issues.

It was in Lagos that the power steering packed up. The Lagos am saying was Ojota oooo. Not my house. My friend towed the car home from egbeda wen I discovered I can't cope to drive the Man-Diesel home with strong steering wheel.

He knows himself and he is probably rating this thread .

My advice is 95% of buy and drive on NL is a scam. My Kazeem said it is only when a car starts to develop a fault that the owner remembers he wants to upgrade.

Please be wise

You talked well till you goofed in your last statement.

Mention the person that duped you on Nairaland by selling you bad car and stop generalising.

By the way, it is not only when car is developing fault that users want to upgrade. Personally, I use a car for one year and im already thinking of upgrading but someone will now be pricing a car you bought for 2m 800k because you used it for one year and if you eventually sell...in good health and not that one is trying to flee naija o, you expect to buy a good car? That's just an instance anyway but I believe one should thoroughly inspect before buying.

Level of desperation and all also comes to play when trying to buy car. A desperate seller is obviously hiding something. As a buyer, inspect. Know the condition in which you are purchasing and ask questions.

Buyer would have missed something. Day of the week is no excuse but the heart wants what the heart wants anyway.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ataspray(m): 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2015
thegame:

You talked well till you goofed in your last statement.

Mention the person that duped you on Nairaland by selling you bad car and stop generalising.

By the way, it is not only when car is developing fault that users want to upgrade. Personally, I use a car for one year and im already thinking of upgrading but someone will now be pricing a car you bought for 2m 800k because you used it for one year and if you eventually sell...in good health and not that one is trying to flee naija o, you expect to buy a good car? That's just an instance anyway but I believe one should thoroughly inspect before buying.

Level of desperation and all also comes to play when trying to buy car. A desperate seller is obviously hiding something. As a buyer, inspect. Know the condition in which you are purchasing and ask questions.

Buyer would have missed something. Day of the week is no excuse but the heart wants what the heart wants anyway.
theres really nothing like a bad car. look at it dis way- if mr A buys a toyota camry 99 for 150k without an engine and gear, and mr B buys a similar car for 600k, who would say its a 'bad car'? isnt it mr b? mr a would infact call it a very good car and very good deal.
point? its about paying the value of whatever car it is thats for sale. simple. even a totaled car still has scrap value.
which is why most people like to go with a mechanic or someone generally experienced with cars, when buying a car.

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Konboko: 2:36pm On Nov 21, 2015
ataspray:

say whatever u like, i am not the seller,just an objective contributor. ur d one with a knocked engine due to ur lack of due dilligence. ur here blaming the seller for not baby-sitting u from point of sale to ur doorstep, nonsense! and listen carefully ehn, even if u see d seller face to face, theres nothing u can do about it, if seller is a nice guy, he will give u a part of d money to buy a new engine. if hes not nice, nothing will still happen my man grin

Hnmmm!
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Nobody: 2:46am On Nov 22, 2015
Here's a copy of a sellers Bill of Sale on my last vehicle purchase.

This is how men buy used cars over here. You go there look at the car, bring a mechanic along if you can/want, etc and you pay.

I rode the vehicle around the block, looked at where it's parked for oil stains, went though all the gears, checked the lights, and rode it 100 miles home.

I continue to feel sorry for the OP but still not certain that any fraud occurred here.

1 Like

Re: And The Seller Vanished! by ElRazur: 4:43am On Nov 22, 2015
No crime or fraud committed here. However, in a place where there are proper laws, the buyer may claw some money back from the seller. Why? When we buy certain goods, they are expected to last a fair amount of time and fit the purpose they were bought for.

On that basis alone the buyer should have a leg but I have to say that this is Nigeria and such laws wouldn't work.

Deactivating and coming off whatsapp do send alarm bells ringing but what if the seller did it for genuine reason like phone was stolen (okay too coincidental) or do not want to speak to the buyer (he is well within his right to do so). Just my two kobi.

In my experience here, I am yet to buy a car because all the ones I have sent my trusted people to go and see aren't what they are advertised to be. Since coming back on here to look for car to use in Naija, I have checked over 10 cars and majority have issues that aren't mentioned in the advert.

As others already stated, do you leg work and research wella because if you don't and part with your money, you may feel like a muppet after.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 22, 2015
ElRazur:
No crime or fraud committed here. However, in a place where there are proper laws, the buyer may claw some money back from the seller. Why? When we buy certain goods, they are expected to last a fair amount of time and fit the purpose they were bought for.

On that basis alone the buyer should have a leg but I have to say that this is Nigeria and such laws wouldn't work.

Deactivating and coming off whatsapp do send alarm bells ringing but what if the seller did it for genuine reason like phone was stolen (okay too coincidental) or do not want to speak to the buyer (he is well within his right to do so). Just my two kobi.

In my experience here, I am yet to buy a car because all the ones I have sent my trusted people to go and see aren't what they are advertised to be. Since coming back on here to look for car to use in Naija, I have checked over 10 cars and majority have issues that aren't mentioned in the advert.

As others already stated, do you leg work and research wella because if you don't and part with your money, you may feel like a muppet after.

Here in California, there is no cooling off period unless you purchase such a contract that gives same. And this is for sales at dealerships only. Does not cover private party sales.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d5/c4/a1/11709.2

Just as an example.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by steve13(m): 5:39am On Nov 22, 2015
Sorry to say but the car thou...Op is this your first or you deal on car parts? A car like that is dead on Arrival.
Re: And The Seller Vanished! by KOMBE: 6:25am On Nov 22, 2015
steve13:
Sorry to say but the car thou...Op is this your first or you deal on car parts? A car like that is dead on Arrival.
... and you also refuse to state the cost of the car. I assure you that 150k cannot buy a car that can take you to Aba.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Picnic #1.350m THIS CAR IS SOLD!!!! THANKS 4UR PATRONAGE / SOLD! Navy Blue Toyota Corolla Sport 2006 New Arrival / Tokunbo Corolla04 For Sale At Cheaper Price, Very Clean Accident Free...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.