Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Should He Leave His Current Job? Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should He Leave His Current Job? Help (14798 Views)

Soldier Wins Over 50million Naira In Betnaija. Will He Leave The Military Or Not / Pls Help Me.should I Drop My Current Job? / In Need Of My Employer's Help That, If Done, Will See Me Leave His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by olafunny(m): 10:53am On Nov 17, 2015
Hi nairalanders,

A brother, who is currently working with a company in ibadan and also stays in ibadan, has got himself in a condition which he needs nairalanders to be of help.

The issue is;

where he's working nw, he's been paid something above 80k sha which is obviously not the worth of the job and his kind of person cuz he has his ph.D. But because of the situation in the country, he decided to stick to the job till he gets another one.
His hustle paid off last week friday when he got another job in Lagos and the pay is above 130k with other monthly allowances. According to him, he loves his current job as it's less stressful and makes him closer to his family. He considers Lagos as a place that is very stressful and will probably cause him to relocate. But the pay is higher.

Now, he's thinking of threatening his current boss with his new job nd pay, maybe the boss might increase his salary and beg him to stay. He is staying with his younger brother in one of the houses his father built before he died. So he doesnt pay house rent with his salary. All that will change when he get to Lagos.

What he wants Nairalanders to do for him is to advice him whether;

-to go for the new job since the pay is high and try to get used to Lagos situation and since he is a ph.D holder, he might higher opportunities from there.

-to stay and continue with his current job since his expenditures are far low.

-to threaten his boss to increase his salary. What if the boss dismisses him? He might end up being in where his mind doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by damton(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
Quite frankly it's a very hard choice to make.

But In my own opinion, he should be where there is prospect for career growth while working, because if he leaves in the hopes of changing jobs , he'll be disappointed should it fails to happen. The job market in itself is extremely saturated.

Summarily, he alone understand the nature of his options and the potential for growth and development they offer, which I believe should guide his decision.

However, I don't agree with the idea of threatening your boss for pay increments. if you think you deserve more, you can place your request to him and make him understand .it is either he agrees or disagree.

Again, I believe career growth and development is key

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by englishmart(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
you love your job because it keeps you closer to your family, and. It's stress free right? Has your closeness to your family increased your earnings?
I believe with your PhD, you wouldn't be assigned to do any much of a stressful job. Relocate your family and become the big boy God has destined you to be

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by 151487made(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
Help me beg d G to hold on to his job because change(chanji) don scatter everytin ooo

9 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
No
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by biz2get(m): 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
Eintelekt:
Endtime

Imagine Bsc Holder undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by just2okworld(f): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by mrlaw93(m): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
Imagine a Ph.d holder leaving in his father house with his own family.. I smh for him.. Y won't he be scared of taking challenge when he has shun responsibilities.. Wat is education in dis country sef?

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by onosprince(m): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
He should relocate asap, he needs to step up and own his own apartment....Lagos is filled with opportunities

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
U don't need advice from NLders Bros.
Go and ask Ifa or fortune tellers

PhD means nothing to nigerian employers nowadays.

My take. 80k in ib is more than 150k in lagos

#Good bye

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
Just house rent and t fare wud drain you of the assumed monetary gain..

19 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
You put job for Lagos abi.
If you are running away from your town, who will develop it.

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by DaegiiWealth(m): 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
I don't know.. Maybe u shud consult Dr. Jobber
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by KingsleyCEO: 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
no treats he should just talk with his boss on the need for increment. because if he use the other job to compel them to increase his pay they may see him as one who doesn't have the organisation at heart.

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Sylver247: 6:28pm On Nov 19, 2015
Forget Lagos. I'm serious oo
130k only angry Rent and tfare don consume am, not to talk of stress

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by arvinsloane(m): 6:28pm On Nov 19, 2015
Yes

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
DON'T. I REPEAT DON'T.

Cost of living in Ibadan is cheap.
Standard of living in Ibadan is cheaper.

Before coming to Lagos, think about these:

1. You wake up 4.30am to leave house by 5am cos of traffic.
2. You close 5pm but get home 10pm ( you will spend at least 7 hours in traffic every day)
3. The cheapest house to rent in a suburb is N300,00/year.

And above all, YOU ARE FAR AWAY FROM YOUR FAMILY.

Ask yourself, is it worth it?

53 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Skywalker5(m): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
life is a risk. He needs to decide which one he prefers. money.stress or family/stress-free. Going to lagos does not guarantee success

4 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by anitank(f): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
If he loves his job, why was he looking for another?

11 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by pdppower: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
You must think twice about it. Life in Ibadan is far easier than what obtains in Lagos. Earning 80k in Ibadan and living prudently is far better than earning 150k in Lagos with all its accompanying expenses. Think carefully and even consult your family before taking any rash decision. May God guide you aright.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Adesiji77: 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
He is the only one who can make this decision...the only one who can figure out his priorities.

2 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by wristbangle: 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2015
There are so many things to consider when choosing among job offers.

As for your case, the fact that you threaten your boss doesn't mean he will increase your pay because he can actually get someone to replace u ASAP.

For me, I feel you should consider your options in terms of career growth and prospect.

Since your current boss has failed to live up to your expectation, kindly go for the job offer in Lagos. You are a PHD holder for crying out loud. Who knows u may get rapid promotion within few years at the company which the pay will be enough to cater for all your responsibilities.

Don't sit in a place where you are less challenged, complacent and feel comforted.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by bulletproofmonk(m): 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2015
englishmart:
you love your job because it keeps you closer to your family, and. It's stress free right? Has your closeness to your family increased your earnings?
I believe with your PhD, you wouldn't be assigned to do any much of a stressful job. Relocate your family and become the big boy God has destined you to be

130k for a PhD is equally a rip-off.He should stay back in Ibadan and start an academic career in one of the Universities.

22 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by flokii: 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2015
Lagos na wahala o... stress too much

3 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Harkynkunle(m): 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2015
The question he should ask himself is ...Why did he actually obtain his PHD certificate.... is it not as to improve himself and his career....?
Now his effort is paying, he has decided to start thinking downwards...SMH
Stress in d job....Nothing good comes easy
Family...... u can always bring them along with u
Opportunity... Perhaps this is his stepping stone
Bro..Tell ur friend to grab d offer with teeth and nails
#Shalom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Path Should I Take? I Am Confused! / BBC Appoints Two Nigerians As Heads Of Language Service For East And West Africa / Ican Professional Examination Result Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.