Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,363 members, 7,800,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? (6298 Views)

Is Feminism 'Un-African'? / I Hate What Feminism Has Become / Is Feminism Really Un-african? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 20, 2009
Have we women really achieved it all and do you think it's time the fight stopped and we all look forward to a better future? Or is this just a propaganda by the fearful males who are trying to condition us as they have always done?

What modifications have been brought into the patriarchal society? Are there chances we might see a further evolution in the man and woman relationship?
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by AloyEmeka9: 7:14am On May 21, 2009
Nothing yet unless you want to count those women cutting their husbands member with kitchen knives. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Fhemmmy: 12:50pm On May 21, 2009
Nothing in Nigeria comes easy.
You got to fight for it, regardless of the obstacles.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2009
Have we women really achieved it all and do you think it's time the fight stopped and we all look forward to a better future?
-------- What exactly have the women been trying to achieve through feminism?
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by AmakaOne(f): 1:58pm On May 21, 2009
Is your question based on the premise that feminism is not intrinsically African, or that it is non-indigenous?
or that ‘feminism is not part of African culture" ?

I'm a bit lost
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 21, 2009
AmakaOne:

Is your question based on the premise that feminism is not intrinsically African, or that it is non-indigenous?

We know it is not.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by AmAlone: 2:58pm On May 21, 2009
I guess everything should just be as it is!
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 21, 2009
Am Alone:

I guess everything should just be as it is!

So you don't see any need for a change. Could you tell us the reason?
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by MaiSuya(m): 9:38pm On May 21, 2009
michelin89:

Have we women really achieved it all and do you think it's time the fight stopped and we all look forward to a better future? Or is this just a propaganda by the fearful males who are trying to condition us as they have always done?

stop the fight? has there ever been one?

Abeg make una enter kitchen and look after your children, the way your mothers did, which is prolly why you able to grow up into responsible ladies.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 21, 2009
Mai Suya:

Abeg make una enter kitchen and look after your children, the way your mothers did, which is prolly why you able to grow up into responsible ladies.

Go sell suya! tongue
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by AloyEmeka9: 12:15am On May 22, 2009
Omo, Nigeria has produced many feminists in the past.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by mayrho(m): 11:17am On May 22, 2009
I really think the issue starts with the way women think of themselves they don't have one voice
so when they are treated badly you would see some of them taking sides with the opposition
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by untainted: 1:23pm On May 22, 2009
to me, the whole concept of feminism is
overated.
whether a man or a woman, you got to
fight for everything you have.
don't forget we have female oppressors too.
survival for the fittest is the word
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by superior1: 1:49pm On May 22, 2009
see, i think you should forget about ferminism,what has it done to the wstern world,is it making a man out of a woman and vice versa
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by beefy23(m): 2:07pm On May 22, 2009
michelin89:

Go sell suya!  tongue

On the topic of selling Suya can I have some extra peppery powder with my order please and add plenty onions as well! Abeg, do quick I'm v hungry at the moment.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by la1(m): 2:09pm On May 22, 2009
with shows like "THE KOKO MANSION" the push for equality of the sexes will definitely suffer a century long setback,Nigerian women have no voice,for as long as corperate entities continue to openly abuse womanhood  in the quest for insignificant material gain.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Becomrich: 2:24pm On May 22, 2009
very very
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by kokoye(m): 2:27pm On May 22, 2009
la!:

with shows like "THE KOKO MANSION" the push for equality of the sexes will definitely suffer a century long setback,Nigerian women have no voice,for as long as corperate entities continue to openly abuse womanhood  in the quest for insignificant material gain.

Well, anybody can offer 'goodies' as much as they like, but it is up to the ladies to accept them - I'm sure nobody is forcing any lady to apply for the KOKO mansion show.

It is up to you and me and the ladies in question to put an end to the abuse of womanhood. The love of money and fame is the root curse of the abuse - bottomline.

If nobody applies for the kokolette stuff, of course it will shut down and they sure wont try it again next season. But i'm sure we all know there are millions of applicants in line already.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by MaiSuya(m): 4:24pm On May 22, 2009
michelin89:

Go sell suya!  tongue

I'm already doing that: fulfilling my role in providing for my family.

Is too much to ask that our female folks focus on fulfilling theirs, rather than denying their sexual identity and wasting their collective energies on worthless, fruitless activities, which is what feminism advocates?
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Theblessed(f): 5:55pm On May 22, 2009
LONG LIVE FEMINISM!!!  LONG LIVE THE SUFFRAGETTES!!!! 

FOR GIVING ME THE VOTE AND FREEDOM TO DO AS I PLEASE.

WITH THIS IN MIND, THE SONS OF ADAM CAN GO TO HELL

WITH THEIR CONTROLLING WAYS AND ABUSES OF WOMEN. 

THANK GOD, I PERSONALLY HAS BEEN FREED FROM THEIR

BONDAGE.  HOWEVER, I WORRY ABOUT MY SISTERS, THOUGH!   

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS EVERSOMUCH FEMINISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by init4dmoni(m): 7:36pm On May 22, 2009
be like say ajebo na im full here tongue
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by kadman(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2009
The fight can NOT stop,feminism all over the world hasn't achieved as much as it can ! I would always say Sen Hill Clinton losing the presidential bid was a big blow to feminists and feminism.
In a cabinet or board of directors out of say 30 people,they give 3 seats to women and say that women have been represented. That's rubbish and patronizing. If there aren't any women qualified then don't give them any positions,but if 30 women are the most qualified,then by all means let them have all position of leadership,only them is there real equality. But just don't patronize females and call yourselves equal opportunists.
Till there is equal rights and the same opportunities for both male and females, the fight for a better future for women worldwide must still rage on
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by rasputinn(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2009
Feminism is a twisted and politically incorrect concept,it's more of a misconcept
Try masculinism,then you'll know how needless the so-called feminism is
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by rasputinn(m): 8:46pm On May 22, 2009
Theblessed:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Theblessed:

Yea yea,but you still need to be freed from bad grammar tongue tongue
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by MaiSuya(m): 9:22pm On May 22, 2009
Theblessed:

LONG LIVE FEMINISM!!!  LONG LIVE THE SUFFRAGETTES!!!! 

WITH THEIR CONTROLLING WAYS AND ABUSES OF WOMEN. 

BONDAGE.  HOWEVER, I WORRY ABOUT MY SISTERS, THOUGH!   

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS EVERSOMUCH FEMINISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEE HEE HEE grin
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by bawomolo(m): 9:48pm On May 22, 2009
rasputinn:

Feminism is a twisted and politically incorrect concept,it's more of a misconcept
Try masculinism,then you'll know how needless the so-called feminism is

There would be a need for masculinism if Nigeria was a female dominated society. This is the same argument white racists made against the NCAAP, SNCC and other civil rights groups. The fact women can't vote, work certain jobs or even drive in certain countries means there is a need for feminism.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 12:37am On May 23, 2009
Nowadays I feel feminism has some sexist undertones to it and it makes me wonder if it's really about equality or female domination.

In Nigeria's case I think we've made progress. I don't think there's anything stopping a woman from achieving what she wants except herself and surprisingly her fellow woman. Like everything else in Nigeria, there's still room for improvement. We might like to blame most limitations on the "patriachial society" but I tell you if the law was effective in Nigeria a lot of things affecting women negatively wouldn't go unpunished.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by bawomolo(m): 2:56am On May 23, 2009
Laws are usually not enforced until someone agitates and screams for it's implementation. If that agitation is feminism then so be it.

There is a difference between feminists (susan b anthony) and feminazi's (deepzone/hottrash)
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by TexasR: 8:12am On May 23, 2009
bawomolo:

There would be a need for masculinism if Nigeria was a female dominated society. This is the same argument white racists made against the NCAAP, SNCC and other civil rights groups. The fact women can't vote, work certain jobs or even drive in certain countries means there is a need for feminism.

In most countries;even Nigeria,there's no need for feminism,except they're looking to dominate their male counterpart(like some sistas in most western countries that have a term for anything a broda does,says or thinks).This cannot be said of some hard core Islamic countries though (where I dare say there is need for the liberation of liberal-minded men who still get persecuted for not wearing their beard to a particular length and the rest silly reasons)
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Theblessed(f): 4:49pm On May 23, 2009
bawomolo:

Laws are usually not enforced until someone agitates and screams for it's implementation.  If that agitation is feminism then so be it.

There is a difference between feminists (susan b anthony) and feminazi's (deepzone/hottrash)

Keep saying the truth and may God Almighty, creator of universe and everything in it BIG OR SMALL and promoter of EGALITARIANISM shower you with blessings and more wisedom!!!!!

Only INSECURE BIGOTS would object to women's rights. 

One commented above about how he felt his 'brodas' being persecuted for not growing their beards longer than 'the twin towers of New York'.  I wonder what he has to say about women plights in such countries if he felt this way about his 'brodas'.
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Theblessed(f): 5:03pm On May 23, 2009
rasputinn:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yea yea,but you still need to be freed from bad grammar  tongue tongue

Hey  'D  I  C  K '   HEAD!!!!!

Never told you (the professor of English language) or anyone else that I was born ENGLISH nor studied ENGLISH LANGUAGE in your UNIVERSITY, right?? How ignorant? Hope you understand where you are making this comment.  It's called FORUM, understand  Not an English language DEGREE exam hall, ok? Brainless fool! 

Your jealousy is obvious here and I have no time for your kind, here. Go melt away!
Re: How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 23, 2009
No quarrelling.

@ Theblessed

If anybody wrongs you, report to me and I'll deal with it. U have made a lot of useful contributions. Don't you think it'd be a pity if this thread was locked down because of an exchange of words?

smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of Some Animals In Central Igbo Language (asụsụ Igbo Izugbe) / OLUKUMI: The Delta People Of Yoruba Extraction / Anselm Ramacher - Bata Beat Drummer In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.