Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams (9349 Views)

Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Do Not Accept Governor Fayose's Food, Rams - Imams Tell Ekiti Muslims / Tanko: 'How Imams, Northern Intellectuals, Incited The North Against Jonathan' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by moneygurl: 2:00am On May 21, 2009
Lagos State Government is not relenting in its tax campaign and compliance as it announced its intention to compel Pastors and Imams to pay taxes.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Taxation, Mr. Ade Ipaye, said on Wednesday, that it had become compulsory for paid pastors and imams to pay part of their earnings as taxes to the state government purse.

According to Ipaye, the state government has observed that most pastors and imams received salary, but failed to pay their taxes, adding, “this is the time for them to pay because it is now a law that every individual that derives income must pay tax.”

He explained that the compliance might not affect pastors and imams who depended on tithes and zakat, but those who employed by churches and mosques for religious purpose.

He said, “they will pay under personal income tax because they are on salary like me and you.”

Speaking about penalties for defaulters, Ipaye said that the power to punish them had been conferred on the Board of Lagos Internal Revenue Service through the Personal Income Tax Act.

He said, “We, as a government, are always very reluctant to disrupt business activities, we only use this power to compel defaulting companies as a measure of last resort.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/21052009/news/news9.html

This might be the wrong section. Sorry!!!!

If they are receiving salary they need to pay tax.

Do Oba's pay tax?.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Jakumo(m): 5:46am On May 21, 2009
Governor Fashola is light years ahead of any other Nigerian political leader present or past, for he can see through the deceit of all those con-men in dog collars who enrich themselves off the back of the poor and wealthy alike, bellowing the name of Jesus in Lagos before quietly commuting to Europe by private jet to count their loot after successfully ducking past the tax man.

[size=18pt]Pastor Eunuch MUST GO ![/size]

Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Backslider(m): 8:14am On May 21, 2009
Can you blame the secular body?

The Church that is supposed to Cloth, build Homes, preach and give food to the poor is busy

1) building Schools because there is profit in it
2) Investing in big planes
3) buying buses for transportation business
4) puting moeny in bank to reap Huge profit
5) building bigger places of Worship(business)

The Church cannot heap the coal of fire because they think they are rich by themselves.

OH GOD SAVE YOUR TRUE CHURCH
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by mayrho(m): 10:50am On May 21, 2009
someone may just have paid his ticket one way to hell
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by oludashmi(f): 10:55am On May 21, 2009
@ poster
Not a bad thing from the governor cos no one is above the law but I think Obas truly should pay theirs.

Jakumo:

Governor Fashola is light years ahead of any other Nigerian political leader present or past, for he can see through the deceit of all those con-men in dog collars who enrich themselves off the back of the poor and wealthy alike, bellowing the name of Jesus in Lagos before quietly commuting to Europe by private jet to count their loot after successfully ducking past the tax man.

Even if he exploits every member of his church, what has that got to do with your life? He is not forcing anyone to worship with him, afterall it is a free world!! I wonder why you keep using Panadol Extra for someone else's headache  

YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND SACK/RETRENCH/REMOVE HIM. SINCE YOU WERE THE ONE WHO APPOINTED HIM!! angry
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by mayrho(m): 10:59am On May 21, 2009
@oludashmi thanks jare tell it to them
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Nobody: 11:07am On May 21, 2009
Great idea.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by cescjay(m): 11:15am On May 21, 2009
i dont see anything wrong there.im a beleiving christain and i thing pastors should paying tax.Jesus said,give to ceser what belongs to ceser ang give to God what belongs to God.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Nobody: 11:19am On May 21, 2009
cescjay:

i dont see anything wrong there.im a beleiving christain and i thing pastors should paying tax.Jesus said,give to ceser what belongs to ceser ang give to God what belongs to God.

If I may ask; which is one be believing christian?
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by seyenko(m): 11:28am On May 21, 2009
Very good, i think the pastors should more than pay - i see more criminal exploitation within what is called new age christendom of materialism. I don't think or hear about the mosques paying about money and more money
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by kshow1(m): 11:30am On May 21, 2009
There is nothing wrong in Pastors and Imams paying tax as long as they equally collect salaries.
Jakumo:

jakumo why is your body so hot like this. '' DO NOT JUGDE FOR YOU NOT TO BE JUGDED''
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by timmy7(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2009
What's strange abt this? Even Jesus paid His tax,so how much more salaried pastors. So what's d issue with this guys who thinks they can run their yeye mouths anytime any issue on pastors come up Obas too should pay tax simple them no get 2 head lipsrsealed
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by escavros: 11:39am On May 21, 2009
FASHOLA!!!!!

I HAIL O!!!

i think its about time religious sectors openly declare salaries for clergy and the likes.
this would be a somewhat good way to curb the excesses, and sanitise the nations "trust" in the religious sectors.

realLy, how can you tax someone who has no slary scheme?

lets do it one step at a time or concurrently.

THE FUTURE HOLDS MORE GOODNESS FOR THIS COUNTRY.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Tudor3(m): 11:49am On May 21, 2009
@oludashmi
i wonder how  you think. Adejale might not be duping me but he's duping other poor gullible nigerians,even our family members are not spared and we have a duty to protest and expose their holy fraud.men like adeboyeg,oyedepo and chris syphon money people would have invested in themselves to help our economy grow,they use it to buy private jets,build expensive schools only the rich can afford.leaving the poor man believing he's still poor despite his givings because he's not fully obeying god or his family curses are powerful etc. Shame on them all!
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Carlosein(m): 12:08pm On May 21, 2009
this is the beginning of many good things to come for nigeria and nigerians.

kudos to Fashola. wink
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by timmy7(m): 12:10pm On May 21, 2009
And how many people here have you succeded in converting against pastor adeboye? tongue
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by oludashmi(f): 12:12pm On May 21, 2009
Tùdor:

@oludashmi
i wonder how  you think. Adejale might not be duping me but he's duping other poor gullible nigerians,even our family members [/b]are not sparf and [b]we have a duty to protest and expose their holy fraud.men like adeboyeg,oyedepo and chris syphon money people would have invested in themselves to help our economy grow,they use it to buy private jets,build expensive schools only the rich can afford.leaving the poor man believing he's still poor despite his givings because he's not full obeying god or his family curses are powerful etc. Shame on them all!
Try construct yourself properly although I will try to understand your grammar.

Of course I don't think like you. From your statement, it shows you agree that you are not being affected cos he is not duping you. Now, if he is duping others including your family members, don't they (your family members as you said) have brain? or does it mean you have come to expose them that they don't think in the right manner? Let me know when you are ready for the real protest so that I can cover the story, maybe you too will like to go naked wink

How much have you invested in the economy of Nigeria since you were born and what has happened to it? If you choose to invest and I choose not to what's your stress[b] afterall it is my money and I can throw it in the waste bin if I care[/b]!!

No one forces anyone to attend any school.

Poverty is not measured by material things, it is a state of the mind.

ABOVE ALL, NOBODY IS FORCING ANYBODY TO ANYWHERE smiley

timmy7:

And how many people here have you succeded in converting against pastor adeboye?  tongue
I wonder o! only noise making
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by RuuDie(m): 12:20pm On May 21, 2009
@ topic,

been a long time coming. . . . expecially for em churches!
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 12:29pm On May 21, 2009
FASHOLA; TINUBU ET AL CAN WE PLS SEE ALL YOUR TAX RECEIPTS SINCE YOU FINISHED NYSC
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 12:35pm On May 21, 2009
For the Ignorants, pls note that whether you are Whoever, you are still given a Tax Certificate that indicates N/A, so i do not see any Hulabaloo in the Topic. The newspaper, in order to sell, just put up a Sensational Headline which they know that a number of Ignorant City People; Encomium; SUN; Enquirer readers on NL will dribble at

Some Nairalanders need to grow up FAST!!!
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by grafikdon: 12:35pm On May 21, 2009
nuzo:

If I may ask; which one be believing christian?

''Believing Christian'' = Christian extremist/fundamentalist. The term is often used by Pentecostal fundamentalists.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Mashkov: 12:36pm On May 21, 2009
Though the arguments here have totally deviated from the main topic of discussion. I think the guys against these so called big time pastors have a point so are the individuals having the right to throw their hard earned cash in t he shredded. I am a christian and it baffles me a lot to see the kind of affluence that surrounds our men of God in the midst of so much poverty.

I keep asking myself this question, christianity was brought to us by the West, why are we always directing oue evangelical energy towards that direction again. Are we saying there are no souls to be saved in Africa where war and battles are common, where satan sits and dines with the minds of men. Are we saying evangelism cannot be spread aggressively to other African countries even the Middle East.

Face the fact, nobody is judging anybody. We are at most times clouded by religious sentiments that we fail to see reason and the truth. Why are churches doing less of humanitarian works and more of profitable ventures.

I am sure Christ's garment did not have a pocket hence had to catch a fish to pay his taxes. Whyt are churches piling up huge bank balances running into millions? What are these monies for? What are we saving for  when the Bible states clearly that we should worry less about tomorrow!!

I think we need to practise christianity with sense o. Reinhard Bonkke will spend millions evangelising in Africa cos he knows that is where the real work is, our own pastors don't do things like that instead they go about establishing churches in US, UK etc not Angola, Sudan, Syria etc.

Think!!!
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Tonyet1(m): 12:43pm On May 21, 2009
one day they'll ask worshippers to pay tickets b4 entering their place of worship undecided

all because they want to raise revenue angry
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 12:44pm On May 21, 2009
How many of us who criticize others for not helping the poor have actually consistently & will continue to help the poor? Are you not aware that by fact of you reading this on NL, you are richer than Billions of others?

What have have you done or thought to do for the road sweeper in Lagos or her children? You accuse of whoever charging so much for private education fees, how many kids in your neighbourhood have you given free lessons? Let he who thinks he stands beware,

There is nothing wrong in Constructive Criticism, but there is Judgemental attitude in Destructive Criticism & the unfortunate thing is that, once you adopt the latter, it reflects in every other area of your personal life & a lot of that accounts for where Nigeria & Nigerians are today, Retrogressive
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Mashkov: 12:52pm On May 21, 2009
Guk:

How many of us who criticize others for not helping the poor have actually consistently & will continue to help the poor? Are you not aware that by fact of you reading this on NL, you are richer than Billions of others?

What have have you done or thought to do for the road sweeper in Lagos or her children? You accuse of whoever charging so much for private education fees, how many kids in your neighbourhood have you given free lessons? Let he who thinks he stands beware,

There is nothing wrong in Constructive Criticism, but there is Judgemental attitude in Destructive Criticism & the unfortunate thing is that, once you adopt the latter, it reflects in every other area of your personal life & a lot of that accounts for where Nigeria & Nigerians are today, Retrogressive
What are you talking about? You are just blowing textbook grammar that say nothing more than nothing. What are we saying, what are you saying?
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 1:04pm On May 21, 2009
In this world, there are divergent perspectives but its your own perspective that determines your decision at the end of the day for which the outcome may be Favourable or may be Unpleasant.

Do you know that its possible that if NL existed in the days of S.U & Deeper Life, some people would have criticized them to death about their doctrines, style of life and mode of dressing

Your own Response  (Positive or Negative) to any Event in life determines the Outcome (Favourable or Unpleasant) you get at the end of the day

See two perspectives below: One says "SQUALOR,  God Forbid Me live here & Another says "Walahi, Redevelopment Opportunity" In a nut shell Event + Response = Outcome
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 1:08pm On May 21, 2009
In this world, there are divergent perspectives but its your own perspective that determines your decision at the end of the day for which the outcome may be Favourable or may be Unpleasant.

Do you know that its possible that if NL existed in the days of S.U & Deeper Life, some people would have criticized them to death about their doctrines, style of life and mode of dressing

Your own Response (Positive or Negative) to any Event in life determines the Outcome (Favourable or Unpleasant) you get at the end of the day

See two perspectives below: One says "SQUALOR, God Forbid Me live here & Another says "Walahi, Redevelopment Opportunity" In a nut shell Event + Response = Outcome

Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Guk: 1:18pm On May 21, 2009
@ Mashov,

there is a Maxim that goes thus: One who comes into equity must come with clean hands.

Before reaching conclusions, it is good to ascertain your facts, there are churches & eveangelism work being presently carried out by Nigerians all over Africa including Angola that you mentioned, in fact, Redeemed has presence in Angola & practically all countries in Africa. I am not an advocate for RCCG, the RCCG Church can speak for itself but as the maxim above goes, you Mashov, have you proved yourself first before castigating others? Have you fulfilled your Tax Obligations to the Letter What % of your bank account do u use for the less priviledge? How often to you release your Computer to less priviledge when you are not using it.

I as a person, i consider what i do first before i criticise others. Its noteworthy
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by JJYOU: 1:40pm On May 21, 2009
why cant he tax all the thieves masquerading as chiefs all over the place?
tonye-t:

one day they'll ask worshippers to pay tickets b4 entering their place of worship undecided

all because they want to raise revenue angry
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 21, 2009
Mashkov:

Though the arguments here have totally deviated from the main topic of discussion. I think the guys against these so called big time pastors have a point so are the individuals having the right to throw their hard earned cash in t he shredded. I am a christian and it baffles me a lot to see the kind of affluence that surrounds our men of God in the midst of so much poverty.

I keep asking myself this question, christianity was brought to us by the West, why are we always directing oue evangelical energy towards that direction again. Are we saying there are no souls to be saved in Africa where war and battles are common, where satan sits and dines with the minds of men. Are we saying evangelism cannot be spread aggressively to other African countries even the Middle East.

Face the fact, nobody is judging anybody. We are at most times clouded by religious sentiments that we fail to see reason and the truth. Why are churches doing less of humanitarian works and more of profitable ventures.

I am sure Christ's garment did not have a pocket hence had to catch a fish to pay his taxes. Whyt are churches piling up huge bank balances running into millions? What are these monies for? What are we saving for  when the Bible states clearly that we should worry less about tomorrow!!

I think we need to practise christianity with sense o. Reinhard Bonkke will spend millions evangelising in Africa cos he knows that is where the real work is, our own pastors don't do things like that instead they go about establishing churches in US, UK etc not Angola, Sudan, Syria etc.

Think!!!

Reasonable post.You're being analytical.
I guess we "Christians" are too blind to see the difference between the simplicity of Jesus' lifestyle and the affluence the latter-day pastors are disposed to.I feel they have to pay taxes as well.If Christ did,they all should be ashamed of themselves if they aren't.And I say this without any hard feelings.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by ThinkRait: 1:57pm On May 21, 2009
Land that could have been used to build schools and industries have now been monopolised by wealthy pastors.

Na wa oh.

If government imposes tax on pastors and imams, the number of offerings will definitely increase. The masses will pay definitely more.

Government should just revisit the buildings and infrastructures act.
Re: You Must Pay Tax, Lagos Tells Pastors, Imams by TayoD1(m): 2:02pm On May 21, 2009
@topic,

Jesus paid taxes. So should our Pastors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ibrahim Idris Visits Police Service Commission / Aisha Buhari Receives Humanitarian Award Of Excellence From Shettima / Lagos Compensates More Families Of Deceased RRS Officers With 20 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.