Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,795 members, 7,806,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

What Is Good Hair? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Is Good Hair? (3117 Views)

Good Hair Cream For My Toddler / Good Hair Care Products For Blacks? / Really Good Hair Extensions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 6:06am On May 21, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeXUm8OOUA8

Can someone explain this to me? Also, what's the "white girl flow?" These are non-malicious, open-minded questions, I don't judge people, I just want to listen to different opinions.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 6:14am On May 21, 2009
I watched this thing again and it's worth watching even though it's over sensationalized babylonian crap, but it shows you how far we've come. Misplaced priorities much?

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 24, 2009
sad sad. I watched d whole episode.

What's wit lil kids taught 2 hate dia natural hair at such a tender age . . . Wishin her hair was like Hannah Montana's n actually has d wig to boot. . .thinkin good hair has to be straight n shiny while bad hair is coarse n nappy . . . sad sad sad

. . . n d white wannabe black sister got me riled when she droped d 'white girl flow' bombshell?? wat on earth is that? jus cus u got perm n your hair moves,u hav to go degrade yrself n tag it  . . .u've got the WHITE GIRL FLOW! . .

Why can't some people jus lov who they are sad sad sad!

Oh n Tyra wit a once in a life time trina-look-natural-cornrow style undecided jus for that episode . . . wel undecided who does she fink she is foolin

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Sissy3(f): 7:29pm On May 24, 2009
tyra always overdo her things, wearing cornrows to actually prove what

abeg she should stop deceiving herself and continue wearing her wigs cuz we already know her for that. it is her trademark tongue grin [size=4pt]still love you trya tongue [/size] as for the women on that show, too bad they are suffering low self esteem/insecurity cuz anyone who really likes themselves will appreciate themselves and whatever they have. whether be it natural or relaxed hair and learn how to manage their hair not trying to be someone they will never be in their miserable lives undecided undecided
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 24, 2009
/\
i
i
In-short ma sister. . i tire o sad
Re: What Is Good Hair? by chiogo(f): 9:22pm On May 24, 2009
When people say good hair, they refer to Spanish, white, Indian hair. . etc. I've heard lots of black people say that. Or people of mixed race say something like "my father is black and my mom is Spanish so you know I got that good/nice hair" pretty ignorant if you ask me.

The Taheeyda (Sp) chick on that Tyra show is pretty confused herself, talking about how she doesn't know how people will perceive her. sounds like low self esteem to me. If you want to do something, why do you freaking care about people's opinions?. Not saying she should or should not go natural but she already claimed she has debts all because of hair products. how stupid can one get?

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 12:12am On May 25, 2009
The Taheeyda (Sp) chick on that Tyra show is pretty confused herself,[b] talking about how she doesn't know how people will perceive her. sounds like low self esteem to me. [/b]If you want to do something, why do you freaking care about people's opinions?. Not saying she should or should not go natural but she already claimed she has debts all because of hair products. how stupid can one get?

Exactly. If your hair is not unkempt why would you bother about what other people say? Christ they suffer from inferiority complex in this country I swear.

The other girl on blue was saying she came from Africa and there are no combs, bla, bla . . . what da heck is that? Maybe I didn't hear well . . .

It was when I came to the US, I heard the concept of good and bad hair, kitchen, nappy, baby hair and all sorts. Hair was hair for me whether relaxed or natural. Why should any mother fill her daughter with such hate? "Good hair" as a child was tying ribbons in a twist or bun and looking neat and not how straight it was because you relaxed it.

The "white girl flow" stems from the inferiority complex many of them suffer from.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 12:24am On May 25, 2009
hmmm this is a pretty sensitive topic. to be honest, i prefer smooth hair. i suppose i got used to it.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 12:53am On May 25, 2009
What is smooth hair?
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 1:05am On May 25, 2009
davidylan:

hmmm this is a pretty sensitive topic. to be honest, i prefer smooth hair. i suppose i got used to it.

See, I like the fact that you're not justifying it. This is not typical of you and I mean that in a good way.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:06am On May 25, 2009
Lol David whines about black women not being natural yet at the same time he wants "smooth hair"

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 1:08am On May 25, 2009
n-guage:

See, I like the fact that you're not justifying it. This is not typical of you and I mean that in a good way.

there is no justifying my preference lol . . .

ThiefOfHearts:

Lol David whines about black women not being natural yet at the same time he wants "smooth hair"

Dont blame me. lipsrsealed Preference

stillwater:

What is smooth hair?

white or latino.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 1:08am On May 25, 2009
Michelle and Mohawk the mods,
This is N-guage, would you do me a favour by returning this thread to the culture section where it rightly belongs? Thank you.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:09am On May 25, 2009
Now you know why women run after weaves cos of black men that perfer "white/latino" hair.

If I ever see you say a word about natural blak hair or bashing weaves, you will be in SERIOUS trouble.  angry
Re: What Is Good Hair? by tope5000: 1:14am On May 25, 2009
Good hair. . . . sensitive topic undecided
Like india arie said. . .i am not my hair cool
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 1:15am On May 25, 2009
Never knew David was two faced.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 1:21am On May 25, 2009
Before I forward with this reasoning, I would like to thank the LORD GOD, YESHUA CHRISTOS of Nazareth, for blessing my spirit with the little knowledge that I have. I am not ashamed or shy to seek for more from him.

Now, let's discuss the things that have led to everyone getting "used to it." If the 400+ years Israelites slaved in Egypt is equated to the 400+ years black people were slaves, then the years in the wilderness is what we, as black people, are currently facing. The only difference is that we're not in a physical wilderness, but in a mental/psychological one.

Desiring and yearning for vanity is discouraged by many religions of the world for a reason. The Holy Bible tells Christians to seek first the Kingdom of God, Buddhism encourages followers to reach a state of tranquility or absolute inner calm where they long for nothing, this is because longing for things will not only make a person unhappy and miserable, the person will also do irrational and stupid things. When the Israelites yearned for food, they stopped moving forward; because black people are now burdened by the (often stupid) things we crave for, we have stopped moving forward.

This is babylon's little trick but those of us who see with our minds see through it. Because celebrities on TV have straight hair, black people desire straight hair. Straight hair isn't the only thing, it is just one out of many useless things black people have been thought to thirst for. Of all races of the world, mostly black people have this kind of hair, so we are mostly the ones affected by this thirst for straight hair. I'm not telling you there's a conspiracy against us,  but judge for yourself.

Let's consider what makes good hair good. Why do we have nappy hair? This trait must have evolved in Africans to serve a specific adaptive purpose, that I don't know yet but I'm working on. So this kind of hair is good for us, while that kind of hair is good for them. This simple task of putting things in perspective is what many of us cannot do, so we have decided to destroy what's good for us. In destroying what's good for us, we are only doing harm to ourselves - health-wise; in spending money to get what's bad for us, we are doing harm to ourselves - financially; in desiring things that are unrealistic and vain, we are doing even more harm to ourselves - psychologically. Wake up daughters of Zion and evaluate the positive and negative consequences of straight hair, judge for yourself and you'll see how the negative consequences outweigh the positive.

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 1:24am On May 25, 2009
stillwater:

Never knew David was two faced.

Two-faced how? undecided

ThiefOfHearts:

Now you know why women run after weaves cos of black men that perfer "white/latino" hair.

If I ever see you say a word about natural blak hair or bashing weaves, you will be in SERIOUS trouble.  angry

Weaves, as far as i'm concerned, are very unnecessary. I would rather corn-rows like the one Tyra banks had in that show than smooth hair that is not really urs.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 1:27am On May 25, 2009
I think what black women yearn for is soft, [i]combable [/i]hair and not really straight hair.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 1:44am On May 25, 2009
stillwater:

I think what black women yearn for is soft, [i]combable [/i]hair and not really straight hair.

You are a black woman, maybe that's what you want, but it's definitely not many other black women want. What you are implying is that it is based more on "comb-ability" than how it looks but as you can see in the video, it has more to do with how it looks and majority of them want it to look White, Asian, Spanish or Indian, anything apart from African.

1 Like

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 1:47am On May 25, 2009
stillwater:

what they truly want is hair like that of the average white girl. The best hair award actually shld go to the latino women.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 2:03am On May 25, 2009
n-guage:

You are a black woman, maybe that's what you want, but it's definitely not many other black women want. What you are implying is that it is based more on "comb-ability" than how it looks but as you can see in the video, it has more to do with how it looks and majority of them want it to look White, Asian, Spanish or Indian, anything apart from African.
davidylan:

what they truly want is hair like that of the average white girl. The best hair award actually shld go to the latino women.

That's where you separate those with inferiority complex and those without. I still believe there's a difference between wanting to comb your hair without breaking combs and wanting to have straight hair to look white. I have aching scalps now because I combed my hair. Who really wants that?
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:09am On May 25, 2009
n-guage:

Isnt it ironic that TV commercials feature women with natural black hair than hiphop stars do in their videos?
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 2:16am On May 25, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Isnt it ironic that TV commercials feature women with natural black hair than hiphop stars do in their videos?

Not just ironic, very sad too. Not just hip-hop, even more ironic, reggae!
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:20am On May 25, 2009
that's why I get annoyed when Carib men start that "I want my natural black queen" bullshit.

Most times they're off screwing someone with "smooth hair, light skinned" blah blah. Nothing wrong with that of course, just stop being hypocritical

even Bob was cheating with a high yella female

They're all full of shit.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 2:21am On May 25, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

that's why I get annoyed when Carib men start that "I want my natural black queen" bullshit.

We all know they're lying.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by nguage(m): 2:24am On May 25, 2009
But I'm telling you women can change this themselves. If all black women decide to stop harming themselves, black men will move to Latin and White girls but they'll always come back. And when they try coming back, y'all should reject them.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 2:25am On May 25, 2009
n-guage:

But I'm telling you women can change this themselves. If all black women decide to stop harming themselves, black men will move to Latin and White girls but they'll always come back. And when they try coming back, y'all should reject them.

Black men arent moving anywhere . . . there are still millions of black men who will have only a black woman. The only problem i see is that the cream of successful black men tend to prefer white or latin women thus shrinking the pool available to the black woman.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:38am On May 25, 2009
n-guage:

But I'm telling you women can change this themselves. If all black women decide to stop harming themselves, black men will move to Latin and White girls but they'll always come back.

OR black women could stop waiting for black men "to comeback" and go out of "boundaries" too. which thankfully they've started doing which is why marriage within the black community is increasing a little bit compared to before.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 2:39am On May 25, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

OR black women could stop waiting for black men "to comeback" and go out of "boundaries" too. which thankfully they've started doing which is why marriage within the black community is increasing a little bit compared to before.

Yeah i saw quite a few white men-black women married couples today at my new church.
Re: What Is Good Hair? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:40am On May 25, 2009
lol why did you change churches
Re: What Is Good Hair? by Nobody: 2:43am On May 25, 2009
the old one was boring and filled with old white folks. A friend invited me to the new one and i fell for it . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suits Nigeria Season 1 / Debbyhill FM Products / Home Remedies(do- It- Yourself)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.