Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy (22863 Views)

Treasury Single Account Is A Fraud, Says Fayose / Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know / APC/NASS Crises: Observation On The Major Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:42am On Nov 19, 2015
I find the media noise and opposition over TSA as unnecessary, unpatriotic and ill-conceived. The reason for my position I shall spell out.(Apologies for the lengthy epistle)

Before The TSA Regime...
Prior to the implementation of TSA, government Ministries, Departments and Agencies usually have their respective accounts where monies are lodged. What happened during this period was that a DG of an Agency or Executive Chairman will open an account for the Agency that he is in charge of, lodge monies there and make illegal withdrawals in connivance with corrupt bank officials. 70% of this fraud go undetected except an insider raised an alarm. We have had cases in the past where DG's of Agencies will deposit funds belonging to the agency in a commercial bank that he has interest. Even when alarm is raised, he will simply come out to sermonise us how he has been keeping these monies for the public and use court injunctions to evade justice, whereas his original intent was to divert it. A perfect example was the case of former Vice President and APC Chieftain Atiku Abubakar. As Chairman of Petroleum Training Development Fund(PTDF), Atiku lodged over $30million and $164 in Trans International Bank and Equatorial Trust Bank respectively from the account of PTDF according to EFCC's forensive indictment in 2006. In fact, 'loans' that yielded interest as high as 15% to the banks were collected from the said banks by Atiku and his proteges AFTER PTDF millions of dollars has been lodged with the illegal account. It was all business! When the deal was busted in 2006, Atiku simply said that he 'kept the monies for safe-keeping' and even claimed that he deserves commendation. What about cases of DG's and ministers that must have gone unreported? How did Tafa Balogun manage to loot his billions as Police IG? Hundreds of billions that cannot be quantified have left Nigerian treasury unreported and undetected before now.

With the coming of TSA, all these anomalies have been taken care of. The recurring act of ministers or DGs of Agencies opening illegal private account in a commercial bank for illicit activity has been eliminated. Everyone now operate with a single account that is managed by the CBN. In fact, every goat shall see free yams no more(with due respect to GEJ's Goat and Yam theory). We shall see how a prospective goat intend to eat our little yam(that isn't even enough for us) without being caught by the authorities.

The Controversial N25billion and The 1% Commission:
When Otunba Dino Malaye raised the tale of Systemspecs(owner of the Remitta software) collecting N25billion(1%) of the monies processed so far, I asked myself whether Dino is living in the same Nigeria with me or somewhere else. The position of Dino is flawed for two basic reasons;

1. It amounts to stark ignorance to think that Nigeria has N2.5trillion cash at present. I even doubt if we have 50% of the said money. Naturally, such gossip shouldn't have been peddled by a senator of this great country. It is left for the men at beer parlours. Thankfully, Ibrahim Muazu, CBN's Public Communication director clarified the whole thing when it said that, an estimated sum of N1.2trillion is what was expected to be moved to the government account all through the whole exercise.

2. From the report of PremiumTimes, it was explained that Systemspec is only entitled 50% of the 1%. While the Banks and CBN get 40% and 10% respectively. An excerpt of the agreement reads..
“A tariff of 1% of the funds collected shall be charged for the government revenue collections: i. Platform Owner/ SystemSpecs: 50%, ii. Collecting Agents/DMBs (banks): 40%, iii. Introducer? CBN: 10%,”
If this is the case, then there is NO way Systemspecs would have pocketed N25billion even IF N2.5trillion has been processed(which is NOT correct). If we are to follow the government position that less than N900billion has been processed, it means Systemspec must have pocketed something close to N4.5billion. This amount is 18% of the vague figure raised by Dino.

I think Dino should tell Nigerians where he got his own figure from.

Ex-AGF Jonah Otunla Deserves Commendation From Nigerians:
Sincerely, I'm not too pleased with the arrangement of 0.5% going to the Systemspec. It is very exorbitant and highly unsustainable when considering the huge amount involved. I wish the sum can be renegotiated but we MUST give kudos to the former Accountant-General that came up with the deal.

According to the report on PT, before the agreement was signed in 2013, Systemspecs proposed a commission of 1.5%, Commercial banks proposed 5%, while a committee setup by CBN and AGF's office proposed 2.5%. It was the exAGF Atunla that overruled all the proposals to 1%. This will see the software providers get 0.5%(as against their proposed 1.5%), Banks 0.4%(against 5%) and CBN 0.1%. Some officials would have negotiated their own cut and agree with the earlier proposals(or even increased it). May God Bless Jonah Atunla for acting in the interest of the public.

Kudos To Dr Goodluck Jonathan:
When Jonathan was explaining his now famous Yam and Goat theory, he made mention of removing the yam from the goat so as to make it difficult for the goat to eat the yam. He then stated that he was building institutions that will tackle corruption once and for all. Though, there were few goats whose prosecution was demanded by some Nigerians during Jonathan's era, I believe that it will be fair for us to clap hands for him for conceiving and promoting this policy that will further alienate the goat from the yam. Indeed, he had plans of separating the goats from the yams and he meant his words. His administration started the implementation of TSA actually in March 2015. The CBN/OAGF gave the directive for commencement in February 2015. In fact, this was captured in CBN's letter to Systemspecs, which I quote....
“Since the cost of the collection must have been shared by all the stakeholders, you are hereby required to also provide a schedule of the total amount collected and the portion that was shared to each of the three participants. The schedule should be prepared on month by month basis, from the commencement of the TSA implementation in March 2015, to date. We will recover the share to the CBN and the DMBs,”
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/193213-full-details-of-tsa-dino-melaye-misled-nigerian-senate-on-n25-billion-claim.html

Bravo President Muhammadu Buhari
It takes a selfless leader to continue good initiative and policies of his/her predecessor. We have seen cases where successors discontinue policies of their predecessors to do 'their own'. Irrespective of party and tribal divide, President Buhari deserves commendation from Nigerians and not knocks for continuing with this wonderful policy. If there is ANY single thing that Buhari should be commended for since his government came to office, it is the TSA continuation.

Despite being in opposition, I'm praising Buhari for taking a patriotic step. I understand that this is in contrast with the APC position when they were in opposition. They never commended the FOI law, they opposed military crackdown against BH terrorists and even opposed the designation of BH as terrorists organisation. I believe that we all should play politics of patriotism irrespective of our partisan leaning. Nigeria's interest should take preeminence in all our decisions.

On Senate's Probe...
I still don't know what the Senate is probing but I support the probe on condition that their intent isn't to ask the Executive to stop the policy. They should investigate to know whether or not a fraud has taken place at anytime of the process. They should ensure that their probe is to strengthen TSA for public interest. However, they MUST not attempt to stop the policy, because it will be resisted. They shouldn't also consider opting out of the TSA because that will be fought against by the masses.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

149 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:43am On Nov 19, 2015
grin grin grin

Photo credit: Vanguard

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by scofieldsimba(m): 9:45am On Nov 19, 2015
Wonderful write up..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by carinmom(f): 9:47am On Nov 19, 2015
This is the kind of unbiased analysis we expect from you. Kudos cool

48 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by chymystique(f): 9:49am On Nov 19, 2015
Tonye, ve you returned to APC? Or You ve decided to sit on the Fence.. smiley...

Apt and Unbiased content you wrote up there though

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by superstar1(m): 9:51am On Nov 19, 2015
Your most balanced write up ever.

Nice one.

Saraki and his cohorts are shouting ''wolf'' where there is none, thinking we shall forget his case with CCT. It does not stop the way we see Saraki as a corrupt Number 3 citizen of this country that is trying to evade justice, by running from pillar to post of different court rooms.

35 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Kyase(m): 9:51am On Nov 19, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Ooops, Image not displaying
This is how opposition should be played
Carry on boss

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 19, 2015
--dp--

1 Like

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 19, 2015
Nice one Tonye.

cc OlieSir Metuh. Ayo Gayose

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Alphaoscar: 9:54am On Nov 19, 2015
the wailing and ipob mobs will soon invade this thread like vultures to demand for the op's head.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 19, 2015
chymystique:
Tonye, ve you returned to APC? Or You ve decided to sit on the Fence.. smiley...
Hahaa. No fence o. Him left yansh dey Pdp, the right yansh dey creep go the right side ApC. tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by AZeD1(m): 9:57am On Nov 19, 2015
Any one who has a problem is with TSA is either mischievous or ignorant. I also do not think 0.5% is too much for someone's intellectual property (as a software engineer, i will side with Systemspec). We should be moving towards a knowledge based economy.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:58am On Nov 19, 2015
chymystique:

Well, returned to APc? No... If everybody move to ruling party then who will provide opposition to keep the government in check for the good of the country?

The truth is that Nigeria's politics has evolved from "oppose everything that has to do with government" to address issues and oppose unfavorable policies of government. We just have to flow with the tide or we'll be left behind. I wish people will understand.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Realdeals(m): 9:59am On Nov 19, 2015
Dinosaur and Fayose are both clown for criticizing remita over TSA. Anyone that has carried out online transactions using PAGA, eTranzact, Quickteller, Voguepay and other online processor knows what Remita charges

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Saturn213: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2015
This is easily your best article

Well researched, well written and quite witty

Well done

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Dannyset(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2015
With this kind of constructive argument(not criticism), you won't stay long in PDP cos that's not their way of life. They(illiterate Fayose and Nurse Metuh) know that the TSA implementation by President Buhari is one commendable feat that PDP can't do or withstand. They are only looking for where to use as their source of wailing, but not on this one. Nigerians can see that they are only crying to save their frozen stolen govt monies.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 19, 2015
I pity OP oo... When IPOB rascals come, u go hate urself... i don waka

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by PassingShot(m): 10:08am On Nov 19, 2015
chymystique:

I was expecting something wishy-washy from him but he has disappointed me with this one.

23 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by PRYCE(m): 10:10am On Nov 19, 2015
Omenka, Please come and insult Barcanista!... Your insults are entertaining!

Unbiased Analysis!

But Wait oo TonyeBarcanista, What if the heads of revenue-gathering agencies decide to steal their share before paying into the TSA? Seeing Buhari and his minister of Finance are the only signatories to the account?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by yhemsy62(m): 10:12am On Nov 19, 2015
A job well done.
Dis deserve an applause. Nice write up. BRAVO!

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by allytinted: 10:13am On Nov 19, 2015
hmmm.....pure truth from an opposition, if only olosa metuh and fayose would play their oppoition politics like ds....@op, hope u will b able to stand d biafras and ipob members wen dey flood ds thread wit their hatred

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by 9jatriot(m): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
When a liar starts saying the truth, its time to check what he stands to gain.

As truthful as this write out looks, am not ready to be impressed yet with the OP.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by StOla: 10:17am On Nov 19, 2015
What I found surprising with the uproar over the disclosure that a 1% charge will be made on all transactions, was that the very people who were quick to remind us that TSA was conceived by GEJ, were the loudest to protest the same rules of operation that their darling GEJ conceived.

Now I enjoy the fact that they have protested first, so Buhari can go ahead to renegotiate the deal as his regime deem fit.

Many are concluding that this is an unbiased article. This is not even about bias, this is about facts and truth. This is as truthful and straightforward an argument can be, and well supported with facts.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:17am On Nov 19, 2015
superstar1:
Your most balanced write up ever.

Nice one.

Saraki and his cohorts are shouting ''wolf'' where there is none, thinking we shall forget his case with CCT. It does not stop the way we see Saraki as a corrupt Number 3 citizen of this country that is trying to evade justice, by running from pillar to post of different court rooms.
I don't know what Saraki's problem is. I think it is in his own interest to come to terms with the new development. We (masses) all want a better country that we'll be proud of. Any elite that is not satisfied should visit Akure asap

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by baralatie(m): 10:19am On Nov 19, 2015
unbiased and straight to the issue!

as long as the policy of "removing the yam far away the goat" is strengthened and institutions strengthened.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by otr1(m): 10:20am On Nov 19, 2015
Nice write-up.
It's either Dino, Fayose and other minions are ignorant or just being mischievous.
Now they ended up exposing themselves as some of the most useless idiots to ever graced the corridor of power in NIGERIA

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by helinues: 10:22am On Nov 19, 2015
Wow.. Bravo.. unbiased analysis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by docadams: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2015
Hmmmnmm

For the first time after a long while, you slept and woke up well with your head on a pillow unlike, previously, when you wake up with your feet hooked on the ceiling and your head in perpetual gyration as a result of partisan wahala.

Bravo, kudos!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by allytinted: 10:34am On Nov 19, 2015
n
Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by aieromon(m): 10:38am On Nov 19, 2015
PRYCE:
What if the heads of revenue-gathering agencies decide to steal their share before paying into the TSA?

Exercise in futility. The accounts are meant to be zeroed at the end of each banking day.

Like you see in the banks,nobody dey go house if money no complete! grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:39am On Nov 19, 2015
It pays to be unbiased.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy by omenka(m): 10:39am On Nov 19, 2015
TonyeBaista:
grin grin grin

Photo credit: Vanguard
For this pic alone, his co Wailers are gonna call for his execution.

It shows corruption in a feeding frenzy from 1999 to 2014 eating ostrich laps, to starving from 2015 feeding on our almighty Garri!! Very big message here. gringrin

#Grabs plate of guguru and lacasera, waiting for the arrival of the IPOD thugs. cheesy

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Almakura Gives Car & Money To Physically Challenged Lady Without Legs / Herdsmen Burn Ayodele Adigun's Palm Plantation In Ibadan / Video Of Jonathan's Visit To Buhari In Aso Rock Has Emerged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.