Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka (1698 Views)

Princess Adeola, Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Princess Adeola Ogunwusi / The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by kaura5000: 4:50am On Nov 20, 2015
Who can explain the main motives behind the marriage of auwa to the hausa king of kano. .. is it because of the fear of rising songhai empire under askiya the great? To create some form of alliance or what?
Re: Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by PAPAAFRICA: 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2015
Ive never read this anywhere before, sounds interesting, source?
Re: Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
I believe it was to ensure Kano's loyalty to the Songhai Empire.

Radoillo
Re: Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 06, 2015
MorrowCaligari:
I believe it was to ensure Kano's loyalty to the Songhai Empire.

Radoillo

You're largely correct. On another of Kaura's threads, I posted an excerpt from Leo Africanus where the writer said that the Askia compelled the Sarkin Kano to marry one of his daughters, after he (the Askia) had defeated Kano in war. It appears that this Sarki was Muhammad Rumfa.

Such marriages were used to keep tributary states (in this case, Kano) loyal to the empire (in this case, Songhai), as well as to plant an 'eye' in the tributary state who would report back to the emperor (in this case, the Askia).

It is interesting to note that Auwa was appointed to the position of Madakin Kano, the first woman apparently to hold that position in Kano. It is possible that the position was given to her on the insistence of her father, the Askia, in furtherance of his aim of keeping an eye on Kano politics. But that's just speculation on my part.

1 Like

Re: Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by Nobody: 4:35am On Dec 07, 2015
Radoillo:

You're largely correct. On another of Kaura's threads, I posted an excerpt from Leo Africanus where the writer said that the Askia compelled the Sarkin Kano to marry one of his daughters, after he (the Askia) had defeated Kano in war. It appears that this Sarki was Muhammad Rumfa.

Such marriages were used to keep tributary states (in this case, Kano) loyal to the empire (in this case, Songhai), as well as to plant an 'eye' in the tributary state who would report back to the emperor (in this case, the Askia).

It is interesting to note that Auwa was appointed to the position of Madakin Kano, the first woman apparently to hold that position in Kano. It is possible that the position was given to her on the insistence of her father, the Askia, in furtherance of his aim of keeping an eye on Kano politics. But that's just speculation on my part.

They seemed so strong. What happened after Askia died? They completely became irrelevant afterwards.
Re: Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 07, 2015
MorrowCaligari:

They seemed so strong. What happened after Askia died? They completely became irrelevant afterwards.

Yeah, Kotal Kanta of Kebbi broke their power in Hausaland. Actually, Kotal Kanta started kicking them out in the time of the Askia himself (whose actual name was Muhammad Toure, btw - Askia was just a title, like Mai or Shehu). Songhai didn't lord it over the Hausa for more than a generation.

(1) (Reply)

My Visit To Igbo Oya (oya Source Groove) / Akwaibomconnect.com- For Akwa Ibomites Only! / How Come Igbo Fathers Dont Send Their First Sons Abroad To Study?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.