Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri (48985 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Ilaje44(m): 4:25am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

Mo ki han oh ogbone mi

E le o. Se o mi yon? Kaaro! Lee!
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by wytecat: 4:43am On Nov 22, 2015
What is not true in what I said?

You initially went with only those two dialects use 'dede' or at least you didn't bring it up that others like ijebu use the word as well. If you didn't know that Ijebu say 'dede', until others raised it, don't you think that you really don't know how others say it in their dialects?

What is ijebu classified as if not one of southwestern Yoruba dialects?

And one more thing; Are Ilajes Yoruba?

Ilaje44:

That's not totally true. Even in Ondo/Ekiti States, not everyone uses "dede". Some use "gede", while some others especially Ekitis use "kete". Ijebu and Ilaje are related, even though Ijebus are not classified among the Southwestern Yoruba dialects. Some Egba names do sound Ilaje to me e.g.: Afuwape.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Ilaje44(m): 5:23am On Nov 22, 2015
wytecat:
What is not true in what I said?

You initially went with only those two dialects use 'dede' or at least you didn't bring it up that others like ijebu use the word as well. If you didn't know that Ijebu say 'dede', until others raised it, don't you think that you really don't know how others say it in their dialects?

What is ijebu classified as if not one of southwestern Yoruba dialects?

And one more thing; Are Ilajes Yoruba?

The discussion here is about the Ilajes and Itsekiris. The OP said the word is common to both groups, and he was corrected. You said all Yoruba groups use dede which is quite wrong. That's why I said even among the Southeastern (I indeed wrongly wrote Southwestern) Yoruba group, not even all use dede.

Hence, it's not true that all Yoruba Dialects use "dede" as used by the Ilajes, Ikales, Apois etc.

The Yoruba dialectical continuum is linguistically divided into three branches.

The Northwestern Yoruba e.g. Oyo
The central Yoruba e.g. Ife
The southeastern Yoruba e.g. Ilaje

You will find both the aspect of NWY and SEY in central Yoruba, because they are the bridge connecting the other two. If I remember correctly, Ijebu seems to be among the central Yoruba along with Ife.

Why are you asking if Ilajes are Yoruba? I don't partake in the childish and futile ethnic discussions as common on Nairaland. However, I can assure you that Ilajes don't have identity crisis. Oma Olufe a gha rin.
This is embodied in some of our tales too like the story of "Elero":
Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe
Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe
Awa mokanla Elero bi o Ufe
J'Elero wa sa aghan rire rire oma re r'Ufe o Ufe
Ufe gbo temi ma t'ara r'Ufe o Ufe...

Ufe = ule Ufe/ile Ife

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by IlekeHD: 5:25am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

The discussion here is about the Ilajes and Itsekiris. The OP said the word is common to both groups, and he was corrected. You said all Yoruba groups use dede which is quite wrong. That's why I said even among the Southeastern (I indeed wrongly wrote Southwestern) Yoruba group, not even all use dede.

Hence, it's not true that all Yoruba Dialects use "dede" as used by the Ilajes, Ikales, Apois etc.

You will find both the aspect of NWY and SEY in central Yoruba, because they are the bridge connecting the other two. If I remember correctly, Ijebu seems to be among the central Yoruba along with Ife.

Why are you asking if Ilajes are Yoruba? I don't partake in the childish and futile ethnic discussions as common on Nairaland. However, I can assure you that Ilajes don't have identity crisis. Oma Olufe a gha rin.
Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe
Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe

Ufe = ule Ufe/ile Ife

Ekiti people also call Ife "Ufe".

"Usu" = Isu

"Ule" =Ile.

And I can understand the Ilaje dialect you posted up there.

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Ilaje44(m): 5:36am On Nov 22, 2015
IlekeHD:

Ekiti people also call Ife "Ufe".

"Usu" = Isu

"Ule" =Ile.

And I can understand the Ilaje dialect you posted up there.

Well, omo baba kan ni kete ria. Oju obo lo kan yato.

5 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by IlekeHD: 5:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, omo baba kan ni kete ria. Oju obo lo kan yato.

Is this Ilaje or Ekiti? So cool grin grin

Tooto le so o. Omo baba ni a.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Ilaje44(m): 5:55am On Nov 22, 2015
IlekeHD:

Is this Ilaje or Ekiti? So cool grin grin

Tooto le so o. Omo baba ni a.

Ekiti ni mo so o.

Ni ede Ilaje, a ni: Oma iba kan dede wa gha rin...

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by IlekeHD: 6:04am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Ekiti ni mo so o.

Ni ede Ilaje, a ni: Oma iba kan dede wa gha rin...

I thought so. smiley

The fact that you can speak Ekiti is cool sha.

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by otokx(m): 6:31am On Nov 22, 2015
Nice thread, lesson in languages and culture.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Ilaje44(m): 6:34am On Nov 22, 2015
IlekeHD:

I thought so. smiley

A friend of mine of more than 30 years is from Ise-Ekiti. An Ex brother in law is from Ijero. Infact, my niece lives there. Another friend of mine is from Aramoko. Had a short fling with a lady from Ilawe. I have been to Ise, Ado, Ikerre, and passed through Aramoko, Effon among others. I really liked it in Effon Alaiye. Beautiful scenery. Ikerre was a beauty in the old time when Ekiti was still part and parcel of Ondo state. The then Governor, I believe was from Ikerre Ekiti, and he beautified the place. It's been a while since I was in Ekiti. The last time I was there was 2005.

3 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 6:47am On Nov 22, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
God Bless Iwere and Ilaje people
God bless the ijaw too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 6:48am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

God bless the ijaw nation
Up barca!!! I saw what u guys did there....thumbs up
#proudly MUFC
You too is united supporter?
GGMU
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by IlekeHD: 6:49am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

A friend of mine of more than 30 years is from Ise-Ekiti. An Ex brother in law is from Ijero. Infact, my niece lives there. Another friend of mine is from Aramoko. Had a short fling with a lady from Ilawe. I have been to Ise, Ado, Ikerre, and passed through Aramoko, Effon among others. I really liked it in Effon Alaiye. Beautiful scenery. Ikerre was a beauty in the old time when Ekiti was still part and parcel of Ondo state. The then Governor, I believe was from Ikerre Ekiti, and he beautified the place. It's been a while since I was in Ekiti. The last time I was there was 2005.

Wow! I haven't even traveled around Ekiti as much as you lol.
Short fling na wa.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 6:51am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Aburo, aiye ma f'uge ke. Wo jeji mi ranti ule. O ti pe yi mo ti je ogolaale ati obe orugbo eyi an fi eja arighon abi okodo ghee. E le!
obe oruugbo ati eja to da gan...
mo like ogolaale na ati abatina
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by wytecat: 6:51am On Nov 22, 2015
I know it was niger delta lovefest, but the moment Yoruba was mentioned in it, we had to set the record straight.

You still cannot speak for all Yoruba dialect especially when it took others to correct you about ijebu. Ijebu has it, Egba do and I still believe other Yoruba dialects have it but we just have to hear others to know who is right about that.

And where exactly did you say the ijebu dialect falls again?

You should have just said Ilajes are Yoruba or they are NOT instead of the defense route you took. I have my reason for asking and I know what I have believed all along but, wanted to hear from you since we all know how some claim Yoruba when it's convenient and distant themselves when it's not or how some are neither here nor there. The first few posts even suggested Ilaje is different from Yoruba and I didn't see you correct that.

Ilaje44:

Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe
Ufe yi duro ma wi re Ufe

Ufe = ule Ufe/ile Ife

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 6:55am On Nov 22, 2015
mydex93:
meh gbe nii ya ilaje ooooo...I really dnt knw exactly where we re 4rm in ilaje ooo#coversface#not my fault bur my Dads..he never takes us home..all we jus knw is we are 4rm ilaje in ondo state.
lol.... igbokoda Abi mayin or ugbo? chose one... lol
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 6:55am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

Mo ki han oh ogbone mi
mokio no.. ogbone Bawo ni
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 7:13am On Nov 22, 2015
Odunharry:

mokio no.. ogbone Bawo ni

cheesy one mi wo gha rin oh
Awa ilaje agbe n'ko hengwa grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by jaymichael(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Yep.. the Ijebu dialect is more related to Ilaje and itsekiri
Similar in words but the Ijebu intonation is way different. The Itsekiri and Ilaje has a similar intonation with Ikale, Owo and those Ondo state yoruba dialects.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 7:35am On Nov 22, 2015
wytecat:
I know it was niger delta lovefest, but the moment Yoruba was mentioned in it, we had to set the record straight.

You still cannot speak for all Yoruba dialect especially when it took others to correct you about ijebu. Ijebu has it, Egba do and I still believe other Yoruba dialects have it but we just have to hear others to know who is right about that.

And where exactly did you say the ijebu dialect falls again?

You should have just said Ilajes are Yoruba or they are NOT instead of the defense route you took. I have my reason for asking and I know what I have believed all along but, wanted to hear from you since we all know how some claim Yoruba when it's convenient and distant themselves when it's not or how some are neither here nor there. The first few posts even suggested Ilaje is different from Yoruba and I didn't see you correct that.

In my opinion yoruba is more like a group of people with mutual relationship that have lived together for a long time in peace and harmony. In other words you cannot call yoruba a tribe. This is because most of these clans do not have common cultural and monarchial heritage.
I haven't come across anywhere in yorubaland where they celebrate Aiyelala or umale or umalokun festival as it's being celebrated here in ilaje.
Same also lies to other dialects such as Owo Ikale and so on.
The only thing you can celebrate general is the Ogun festival which is also celebrated in Benin.
For the monarchical System, the ilaje System was derived from benin Kingdom. The same applies t ikales.
Why didn't we hear of a dominant yoruba Empire in the 14th century up till 19th century? Even the Oyo empire we hear of had its boundaries and territories(google it) it didn't extend to the eastern parts such as ijebus Owos ilajes ikales etc
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by martineverest(m): 7:37am On Nov 22, 2015
defemidefemi:
is deer diff btw Itsekiri & I jaw?
totally different.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by raphroye: 7:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Ayemafuge Ilaje!!!

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 7:41am On Nov 22, 2015
Odunharry:

You too is united supporter?

GGMU
Yes oh
GGMU

Do you know that the following personalities are ilajes?:
- Anthony Joshua(2012 Olympics gold winning British boxer)
- Akpororo(Bowoto Jephta)
- Seyi Law(Seyi Aletile)
- Oritsefemi(ilaje mother)
- Ayiri(ilaje mother)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 7:42am On Nov 22, 2015
raphroye:
Ayemafuge Ilaje!!!

Awaye! grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 7:47am On Nov 22, 2015
mydex93:
o ma han oooo bora mi

Le oh
Oma Lehi wo gha? Tabi adugbo , ah mi gbo ni?

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ifydio(m): 7:59am On Nov 22, 2015
70 percent oil production in delta state? Wrong
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by jaymichael(m): 8:02am On Nov 22, 2015
IlekeHD:

I thought so. smiley

I so love that Ekiti accent. I kinda have this deep love for the different Yoruba dialects and accents. Reminds me of my childhood when I was exposed to different Yoruba dialects and accents growing up. We used to travel home a lot. My paternal grandmother has a farm in our home town (Abata) she has in Ondo state and we used to travel to those farms alot from Ibadan. (probably this influenced my love for the tranquility of rural, idyllic settings).
My maternal grandmother speaks only the Ijebu yoruba to us, thank God she stays in Lagos and not far from us. Though I cannot speak Ijebu but thanks to my maternal grandmother, I have a good understanding of Ijebu. Besides, we used to travel to Remo very often as a kid so mixing with the village kids and communicating wasn't a problem, I understand their Ijebu, they understand my general yoruba. I get surprised when my father's people say they don't understand ijebu that the language is hard. What I thought comes naturally to me is really I was privileged to be in a situation to make me understand Ijebu. Funny though, it is my understanding of Ijebu that i use to pick and follow (to a small extent though) other yoruba dialects because I was able to pick out the linguistic similarities.
#Proudly omoYoruba
#A race of giants.

5 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by jaymichael(m): 8:05am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

In my opinion yoruba is more like a group of people with mutual relationship that have lived together for a long time in peace and harmony. In other words you cannot call yoruba a tribe. This is because most of these clans do not have common cultural and monarchial heritage.
I haven't come across anywhere in yorubaland where they celebrate Aiyelala or umale or umalokun festival as it's being celebrated here in ilaje.
The only thing you can celebrate general is the Ogun festival which is also celebrated in Benin.
For the monarchical System, the ilaje System was derived from benin Kingdom. The same applies t ikales.
Why didn't we hear of a dominant yoruba Empire in the 14th century up till 19th century? Even the Oyo empire we hear of had its boundaries and territories(google it) it didn't extend to the eastern parts such as ijebus Owos ilajes ikales etc
Ya, true.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by wytecat: 8:06am On Nov 22, 2015
Talking about what you don't know is almost sinful. You just don't know what you just said. There's no difference in the monarchical heritage among Yoruba. Every family in Yorubaland has a tradition of worshipping one of the gods. In my family it's ogun(and I'm sure most of my sisters, brothers and cousins don't know this but, because I was raised by my grandmother and regarded as omo agba I had some information about them)while the next door neighbor was Ayelala. Go to interior part of ogun and see families that worship Olokun, every family has orisa, though many are moving away from them in big cities but many go to the villages to worship them secretly. In small towns you would see imale/oro families, mention the orisa and you will find the worshippers in Yoruba land. Do you know that we even have witches festival? You have to be in the rural areas to see it. All the orisa you worship are from Yoruba.

You want me to google what happened in 14th to 19th century? Sorry google is not credible enough for that, just about anything can be found on google. You can only speak for your tribe and not Yoruba.

There was never an empire close to Oyo in all of the south of Nigeria, and you don't need google to tell you that if you can see clearly.
dejavski:

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Wawawi: 8:17am On Nov 22, 2015
One love ilaje,apoi and ijaw. Ayemafuge!, haan izon
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by onuwaje(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

Oh for real? That's nice
Do u also have monarch title such as yasere(ayeye owu), Oliha, logbosere, asogbon etc?

I think you also celebrate umale and umalokun festival if am right?

Also we share similar names in some aspect such as: temisan, Temiye, onetufo, Orimisan, onuwaje, ..... I know of an Itsekiri lady that bears similar surname with me... Precious Dede - Super falcons GK grin
In itsekiri it's iyatsere ologbotsere
We also av umalokun as for names I met an ilaje boy by d name of edema in camp
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oduduwa Is Your Father, Not Jesus - Ooni Of Ife Told By A Nigerian / Oba Of Benin - Erediauwa Akpolokpolo I - Dies Of Unknown Illness / Two Masquerades Rock Chelsea Outfits, Dance On The Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.