Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri (49049 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 9:41pm On Jan 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:
YORUBA SLAVE DEPARTURES FROM 1650 TO 1865 FROM PORTS IN THE BIGHT OF BENIN

The image below is a table of slave ports in the Bight of Benin and the number of slaves exported from those regions from the beginning of slavery around 1650 to the end at about 1865. Several of these ports are Ouidah, Popo, Badagri, Epe, Lagos etc.

Of all these ports, Lagos port is the number 1 source of Yoruba slaves. A quick look shows that from 1651 to 1750, Lagos exported 0 number of slaves for nearly 100 years. We begin to see the exports from Lagos (mostly Yoruba slaves) start from 1751, attaining its all time high peak between 1826 and 1850 (during the time of the Oyo empire wars) and dropping thereafter. The table indicates that between 1751, when Lagos slave exports began, and 1865, (end of slavery), 317,300 slaves (let us assume all were Yorubas for simplicity) were exported from Lagos port. That is, 317,300 Yoruba slaves were exported from the port of Lagos during the entire slave trade period of 215 years.

Now, there are high chances that some Yoruba slaves were also exported through the ports of Badagri and Epe. The slaves from these ports included Fon slaves, Ga slaves, Yoruba slaves etc. Assuming all the slaves exported from these 2 ports were all Yoruba slaves, the figures are 53,700 and 85,500 for Epe and Badagry respectively, for a combined total of 139,200.

Assuming all the slaves exported from Lagos, Epe and Badagry were of Yoruba descent, the overall number of all 'Yoruba' slaves exported from these 3 ports in the Bight of Benin is 456,500, or less than half a million. However, realistically speaking, given the fact that many non-Yorubas were often labelled 'lukumi' by the Spanish/Portuguese and not all slaves from these 3 ports are actually Yorubas, especially the ports of Epe and Badagry, the actual number of Yoruba slaves taken from these 3 ports would be a figure between 300,000 and 400,000.

To add also, not all 300,000 to 456,500 Yoruba slaves who left the shores of West Africa did make it to the new world. A small percentage who were intercepted by the British and settled in Sierra Leone did not make it to Latin America, out of which some of those intercepted by the British who settled in Sierra Leone actually returned back to Lagos. Out of the majority who made it to Latin America, a small percentage (Agudas) returned to Lagos where they settled. Taking into consideration the numbers of Saros and Agudas, the final number of Yoruba slaves settling in Latin America (mainly Brazil) is a figure between 300,000 to 400,000.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Uk1Tbdsq99gC&pg=PA179&dq=yoruba+slave+population+numbers&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkzI34o8zRAhWH34MKHZDPDaEQ6AEIJTAC#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20slave%20population%20numbers&f=false

YOU KEEP HAMMERING ON SLAVES, WHAT ABOUT SETTLERS? IT WAS THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION THAT CHANGED THE GAME, YOU UNDERSTAND? YORUBA WERE MOVING TO THE AMERICAS IN EQUAL PROPORTION TO ANY EUROPEAN GROUP. COLUMBUS WAS IN WEST AFRICA BEFORE CROSSING THE ATLANTIC. HE DEFINITELY HAD WEST AFRICANS IN HIS CREW. YOU ARE RIGHT THAT THE TRADE PEAKED IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 19TH CENTURY BUT MANY YORUBAS ARRIVED SOUTH AMERICA AS LANDOWNERS AND CHIEFS AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE ENTRENCHED THERE LIKE EUROPEANS. PEOPLE USED TO GO BACK AND FORTH. YORUBA MADE CLOTHES WERE EXPORTED THERE. PEOPLE GREW RICH ON THAT. PEOPLE WENT TO SOUTH AMERICA ON BUSINESS, SETTLED THERE AND ETC. SO, NOT ONLY SLAVE TRADE. A NATION LIKE HAITI AS OGUN AS THE NATIONAL TUTELARY DEITY.

THEN YORUBAS ARE THE FIRST PREFERENCE OF SLAVE DEALERS BECAUSE BEING USED TO CITY LIFE AND ORGANISATION, THEY ARE EASIER TO DEAL WITH THAN OTHERS, THEY ALSO HAVE MULTIPLE BIRTHS. A YORUBA COST MORE THAN OTHERS BACK THEN AND EFIK PEOPLE CLAIM MOST SLAVES SOLD THROUGH THEIR PORTS WERE YORUBAS. BUYERS ASKED FOR YORUBAS BEFORE OTHERS. IGBO LAND WAS NOT IN TURMOIL AND MANY YORUBAS ENROUTE TO THE CALABAR PORT DISAPPEARED INTO IGBO LAND BOUGHT BY IGBOS FOR FARM WORK. THEY ARE NOW OSUS.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by bigfrancis21: 10:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
lawani:

YOU KEEP HAMMERING ON SLAVES, WHAT ABOUT SETTLERS? IT WAS THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION THAT CHANGED THE GAME, YOU UNDERSTAND? YORUBA WERE MOVING TO THE AMERICAS IN EQUAL PROPORTION TO ANY EUROPEAN GROUP. COLUMBUS WAS IN WEST AFRICA BEFORE CROSSING THE ATLANTIC. HE DEFINITELY HAD WEST AFRICANS IN HIS CREW. YOU ARE RIGHT THAT THE TRADE PEAKED IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 19TH CENTURY BUT MANY YORUBAS ARRIVED SOUTH AMERICA AS LANDOWNERS AND CHIEFS AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE ENTRENCHED THERE LIKE EUROPEANS. PEOPLE USED TO GO BACK AND FORTH. YORUBA MADE CLOTHES WERE EXPORTED THERE. PEOPLE GREW RICH ON THAT. PEOPLE WENT TO SOUTH AMERICA ON BUSINESS, SETTLED THERE AND ETC. SO, NOT ONLY SLAVE TRADE. A NATION LIKE HAITI AS OGUN AS THE NATIONAL TUTELARY DEITY.

THEN YORUBAS ARE THE FIRST PREFERENCE OF SLAVE DEALERS BECAUSE BEING USED TO CITY LIFE AND ORGANISATION, THEY ARE EASIER TO DEAL WITH THAN OTHERS, THEY ALSO HAVE MULTIPLE BIRTHS. A YORUBA COST MORE THAN OTHERS BACK THEN AND EFIK PEOPLE CLAIM MOST SLAVES SOLD THROUGH THEIR PORTS WERE YORUBAS. BUYERS ASKED FOR YORUBAS BEFORE OTHERS. IGBO LAND WAS NOT IN TURMOIL AND MANY YORUBAS ENROUTE TO THE CALABAR PORT DISAPPEARED INTO IGBO LAND BOUGHT BY IGBOS FOR FARM WORK. THEY ARE NOW OSUS.

Hahaha. The difference between you and I is that I deal in facts, you deal in fantasy. Until you come up with proof to back up your 'fantasy', goodbye Akin the dreamer. grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 10:28pm On Jan 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha. grin
Go and do research on it. You were called Igbos BY YOUR FOREFATHERS. THE WHITES DIDNT KNOW ANY TRIBE OR ETHNICITY BUT THE LOCALS IDENTIFY THEMSELVES ACCORDING TO THEIR GROUPING. YORUBA HAD ALWAYS USED THE WORDS “IGBO"LONG BEFORE CONTACT WITH IBOS AND BEFORE THEY BEGAN TO USE IT IN 20th century . IN FACTS I DON'T DONT REFER TO YOU PEOPLE AS IGBO BUT IBOS. CHECK ALL MY WRITE UPS. JUST AS EDOS CAME UP AND COOKED A VERSION FOR ODUA THAT HE AND HIS GROUP WERE WEARING ROBE DURING THEIR TIME AS BEEN ONE IZODUWA FROM OGODOMIGODO WHO REMAIN UNKNOWN .AND AND ALMOST LAY CLAIM TO THE WORD OBA UNTIL THE CURRENT OBA RECOGNISED HIS ANCESTORS ORANMIYAN AS THE FIRST OBA IBINU/UBINU AND NOT OWOKA/OWO-MI-KA(EWEKA).THE WORD OBA THAT'S BEEN PART AND PARCEL OF YORUBA NATION FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. OBATALA /OBALUFON ETC. EVEN YORUBA BIBLE WRITTEN SINCE 1844 USED THE OBA IN THE YORUBA VERSION OF THE BIBLE SEVERAL TIMES. YOU PEOPLE JUST LOVE TO TWIST HISTORY TO SUIT YOUR INTEREST.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 10:54pm On Jan 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha. The difference between you and I is that I deal in facts, you deal in fantasy. Until you come up with proof to back up your 'fantasy', goodbye Akin the dreamer. grin

YOU ARE UNEDUCATED AND IGNORANT. I SHOULD NOT BE BANTERING WORDS WITH YOUR KIND. YOU IGBOS FAIL TO REALISE, THE BULK OF YOU ARE NEW ENTRANTS ON THE WORLD STAGE. AS AT MID 19TH CENTURY. IGBOS WERE AT THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF THE KOMA PEOPLE RECENTLY DISCOVERED IN ADAMAWA. YET YOU EXPECT TO BE OF SAME PEDIGREE AS PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN AT NATION BUILDING SINCE TIME BEGAN? THAT MAKES NO SENSE!. ANCIENT IGBOS CONFINED THEMSELVES TO THEIR VILLAGES. HOW CAN YOU COMPARE THEM TO YORUBAS WHO KNEW AND RELATED WITH OTHERS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?. YOU BETTER STOP EXHIBITING YOUR IGNORANCE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Probz(m): 11:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
lawani:

Not that your whole post isn't total bull but the emboldened jumped out to me. On what planet is being easier to sell into slavery a good thing? You're actually saying it's better to be all-trusting and naive than stubborn and rebellious (aka Igbo slaves) in the face of being dragged away from your homeland and stripped of your identity.

I'd rather be less easy to deal with if it meant not being sold to masters across the Atlantic and subjected to nothing short of inhumanity but that's just me. Just be careful what you type and how intelligent it makes you sound when you blow your omo Yoruba propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 11:10pm On Jan 18, 2017
Probz:

Not that your whole post isn't total bull but the emboldened jumped out to me. On what planet is being easier to sell into slavery a good thing? You're actually saying it's better to be all-trusting and naive than stubborn and rebellious (aka Igbo slaves) in the face of being dragged away from your homeland and stripped of your identity.

I'd rather be less easy to deal with if it meant not being sold to masters across the Atlantic and subjected to nothing short of inhumanity but that's just me. Just be careful what you type and how intelligent it makes you sound when you blow your omo Yoruba propaganda.

TO BE A SLAVE WAS NOT A NEW THING FOR YORUBAS. YOU GET?. A TYPICAL HOUSEHOLD CONSISTS OF SLAVES AND FREEBORNS WORKING ALONGSIDE EACH OTHER. SLAVES AND FREE BORNS INTERMARRY FREELY. SLAVERY WAS TO MAKE EVERYBODY BELONG SOMEWHERE, CHIP IN SOMEWHERE. IF I AM A SLAVE IN A PROSPEROUS HOUSEHOLD, I MIGHT BE RICH AND IF I AM OFFERED FREEDOM, I WONT TAKE IT BECAUSE I ENJOY THE RANK OF MY MASTER IN PUBLIC. PEOPLE FEAR ME BECAUSE OF MY MASTER. SO WHY WILL I HATE SLAVERY? ABEG WISE UP! A TYPICAL YORUBA CITY CONTAINED 80 PERCENT SLAVES. ALL WERE SLAVES EVEN.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Probz(m): 11:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
lawani:

TO BE A SLAVE WAS NOT A NEW THING FOR YORUBAS. YOU GET?. A TYPICAL HOUSEHOLD CONSISTS OF SLAVES AND FREEBORNS WORKING ALONGSIDE EACH OTHER. SLAVES AND FREE BORNS INTERMARRY FREELY. SLAVERY WAS TO MAKE EVERYBODY BELONG SOMEWHERE, CHIP IN SOMEWHERE. IF I AM A SLAVE IN A PROSPEROUS HOUSEHOLD, I MIGHT BE RICH AND IF I AM OFFERED FREEDOM, I WONT TAKE IT BECAUSE I ENJOY THE RANK OF MY MASTER IN PUBLIC. PEOPLE FEAR ME BECAUSE OF MY MASTER. SO WHY WILL I HATE SLAVERY? ABEG WISE UP! A TYPICAL YORUBA CITY CONTAINED 80 PERCENT SLAVES. ALL WERE SLAVES EVEN.

Na wow for this guy. Chineke.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 11:50pm On Jan 18, 2017
Probz:

FORTUNES DO CHANGE IN AN INSTANT. THAT IS OYA!. IF YOUR FORTUNE IS REVERSED FROM ROYALTY TO SLAVE, THEN YOU PRAY FOR A GOOD MASTER AND YOUR ORI WILL LEAD YOU THERE. YOU WILL MAKE IT THERE. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Probz(m): 12:37am On Jan 19, 2017
lawani:

FORTUNES DO CHANGE IN AN INSTANT. THAT IS OYA!. IF YOUR FORTUNE IS REVERSED FROM ROYALTY TO SLAVE, THEN YOU PRAY FOR A GOOD MASTER AND YOUR ORI WILL LEAD YOU THERE. YOU WILL MAKE IT THERE. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Double na wow. Oloshi.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by bigfrancis21: 1:20am On Jan 19, 2017
Probz:

grin grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 12:37pm On Jan 19, 2017
lawani:

YOU ARE UNEDUCATED AND IGNORANT. I SHOULD NOT BE BANTERING WORDS WITH YOUR KIND. YOU IGBOS FAIL TO REALISE, THE BULK OF YOU ARE NEW ENTRANTS ON THE WORLD STAGE. AS AT MID 19TH CENTURY. IGBOS WERE AT THE LEVEL OF ADVANCEMENT OF THE KOMA PEOPLE RECENTLY DISCOVERED IN ADAMAWA. YET YOU EXPECT TO BE OF SAME PEDIGREE AS PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN AT NATION BUILDING SINCE TIME BEGAN? THAT MAKES NO SENSE!. ANCIENT IGBOS CONFINED THEMSELVES TO THEIR VILLAGES. HOW CAN YOU COMPARE THEM TO YORUBAS WHO KNEW AND RELATED WITH OTHERS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?. YOU BETTER STOP EXHIBITING YOUR IGNORANCE.
FACTS TO BEHOLD
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2017
lawani:

NOT TRUE TO 80% SLAVE IN YORUBA CITY OR ANCIENT TIME. THOUGH IT WAS TRUE THAT ONE'S MASTER NAME GIVES PRESTIGE TO THE SLAVE WHEREVER SUCH GOES. HOWEVER, EVERY ONE KNOW HIS/HER POSITION IN SUCH HOUSEHOLD. OKO KI WA KO NI ALA BABA ATI OMO. EVEN FREEBORN HAVE CATEGORIES. KINGLY HOMES,NOBLE HOMES, AND CITIZENS WHILE POSITION OF SLAVES VARIES ACCORDING THE SAME RANKS. IN THE ANCIENT TIMES NON OF YORUBA CLANS HAD SLAVES EXCEPT FOREIGNERS ESPECIALLY PEOPLE FROM HAUSA/FULANI/EBIRA/TAPA/AGATU etc to tend to their farms and cattles . I STILL KNOW A SERVING FULANI MAN BEING WILLED TO A FAMILY FRIEND OF MINE EVEN IN TODAY'S NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 1:08pm On Jan 19, 2017
Olu317:
NOT TRUE TO 80% SLAVE IN YORUBA CITY OR ANCIENT TIME. THOUGH IT WAS TRUE THAT ONE'S MASTER NAME GIVES PRESTIGE TO THE SLAVE WHEREVER SUCH GOES. HOWEVER, EVERY ONE KNOW HIS/HER POSITION IN SUCH HOUSEHOLD. OKO KI WA KO NI ALA BABA ATI OMO. EVEN FREEBORN HAVE CATEGORIES. KINGLY HOMES,NOBLE HOMES, AND CITIZENS WHILE POSITION OF SLAVES VARIES ACCORDING THE SAME RANKS. IN THE ANCIENT TIMES NON OF YORUBA CLANS HAD SLAVES EXCEPT FOREIGNERS ESPECIALLY PEOPLE FROM HAUSA/FULANI/EBIRA/TAPA/AGATU etc to tend to their farms and cattles . I STILL KNOW A SERVING FULANI MAN BEING WILLED TO A FAMILY FRIEND OF MINE EVEN IN TODAY'S NIGERIA.

IN THE PAST, ALL YORUBA BELONG TO AN AGBO ILE AND A TYPICAL TOWN IS MADE UP OF SEVERAL AGBO ILES OF WHICH THE KING'S COMPOUND MAY BE THE BIGGEST, BUT MANY AGBO ILE MAY BE ROYAL IN THESAME TOWN, HOWEVER ALL AGBO ILES HAVE THEIR TITLE HOLDER OR BAALE, OFTEN THE OLDEST PERSON THERE. IT CAN BE POSSIBLE FOR A SLAVE TO BE BAALE IF WELL RESPECTED BUT IF THE AGBO ILE HAS A SPECIAL TITLE, IT MAY NOT BE SO. OUTSIDE THAT MEMBERS OF THESAME AGBO ILE WHETHER SLAVE OR FREE BORN ARE BRETHREN. THEY DONT MARRY EACH OTHER SINCE THEY ARE FAMILY. IF THEY TRAVEL OUT, THEY HELP EACH OTHER AND BRING UP EACH OTHERS CHILDREN. YOU CAN MARRY FROM A DIFFERENT AGBO ILE. SLAVE CAN MARRY FREE BORN AND PEOPLE TRAVEL FOR BUSINESS AND TRADE. NO MOVEMENT RESTRICTION. HOWEVER, ONLY FREE BORNS ARE OGBONI MEMBERS SO AS TO REDUCE CROWD BUT A HIGH RANKING AND WELL RESPECTED SLAVE MAY ATTAIN OGBONI STATUS AS A RESULT OF CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY. WHEN YOU ADD EVERYTHING TOGETHER, YOU FIND THREE QUARTERS OF THE PEOPLE ARE SLAVES. NO BIG DEAL THERE AND SOMETHING SIMILAR WAS THE CASE ACROSS THE GLOBE TO ENSURE FULL EMPLOYMENT UNDER COMMUNISM WHERE NO ONE IS LEFT BEHIND.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2017
Olu317:
Go and do research on it. You were called Igbos BY YOUR FOREFATHERS. THE WHITES DIDNT KNOW ANY TRIBE OR ETHNICITY BUT THE LOCALS IDENTIFY THEMSELVES ACCORDING TO THEIR GROUPING. YORUBA HAD ALWAYS USED THE WORDS “IGBO"LONG BEFORE CONTACT WITH IBOS AND BEFORE THEY BEGAN TO USE IT IN 20th century . IN FACTS I DON'T DONT REFER TO YOU PEOPLE AS IGBO BUT IBOS. CHECK ALL MY WRITE UPS. JUST AS EDOS CAME UP AND COOKED A VERSION FOR ODUA THAT HE AND HIS GROUP WERE WEARING ROBE DURING THEIR TIME AS BEEN ONE IZODUWA FROM OGODOMIGODO WHO REMAIN UNKNOWN .AND AND ALMOST LAY CLAIM TO THE WORD OBA UNTIL THE CURRENT OBA RECOGNISED HIS ANCESTORS ORANMIYAN AS THE FIRST OBA IBINU/UBINU AND NOT OWOKA/OWO-MI-KA(EWEKA).THE WORD OBA THAT'S BEEN PART AND PARCEL OF YORUBA NATION FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. OBATALA /OBALUFON ETC. EVEN YORUBA BIBLE WRITTEN SINCE 1844 USED THE OBA IN THE YORUBA VERSION OF THE BIBLE SEVERAL TIMES. YOU PEOPLE JUST LOVE TO TWIST HISTORY TO SUIT YOUR INTEREST.

NDI IN IGBO IS LIKE IDI IN YORUBA. IT IS THESAME WORD MEANING HOME BASE. NDI OWERRI MEANS OWERRI PEOPLE, NDI ONITSHA MEANS ONITSHA PEOPLE, NDI ANAMBRA IS ANAMBRA PEOPLE. SO, WHEN THEY GATHER, THEY ADDRESS THE GATHERING AS NDI GBO WHICH MEANS EVERYBODY. THAT IS HOW NDIGBO WAS ARRIVED AT. IT MEANS EVERYBODY.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Obalufon: 9:51pm On Sep 18, 2017
Olu317:
FACTS TO BEHOLD
you right 100%
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 7:02am On Oct 02, 2017
Obalufon:
you right 100%

Hello bro, how are you doing?
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ademijuwonlo(f): 11:27pm On Mar 11
dejavski:

In my opinion yoruba is more like a group of people with mutual relationship that have lived together for a long time in peace and harmony. In other words you cannot call yoruba a tribe. This is because most of these clans do not have common cultural and monarchial heritage.
I haven't come across anywhere in yorubaland where they celebrate Aiyelala or umale or umalokun festival as it's being celebrated here in ilaje.
Same also lies to other dialects such as Owo Ikale and so on.
The only thing you can celebrate general is the Ogun festival which is also celebrated in Benin.
For the monarchical System, the ilaje System was derived from benin Kingdom. The same applies t ikales.
Why didn't we hear of a dominant yoruba Empire in the 14th century up till 19th century? Even the Oyo empire we hear of had its boundaries and territories(google it) it didn't extend to the eastern parts such as ijebus Owos ilajes ikales etc

Most of Yoruba peoples migrated from Ife and olokun is celebrated in ile-ife.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ademijuwonlo(f): 11:54pm On Mar 11
dejavski:

You are the one having serious comprehension issue here.... I mentioned it before that the Yoruba clans similar to the Ilaje culture and traditions are the southeastern yorubas . Tell me where these cultures are celebrated in oyo, osun kwara
You have not said anything as regards the bolded monarchial system I highlighted though

Who are the southeastern yorubas?
Ijebus ikales ilajes Ekitis Ondos owos
As regards the bini ties? Yes! The ilajes have historical ties with the binis

Even Ibadan has different monarchy system from the other Yorubas .
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 8:06am On Mar 12
ademijuwonlo:

Even Ibadan has different monarchy system from the other Yorubas .

You people always shoot over the pole. Benin was no different from IJESA,Owo or Itsekiri in the past by language and etc. They were the same people and Yoruba was the language of the Benin empire. If they rebuild the empire as it was, do you think they will be speaking Edo?. Of course not. Edo was spoken only in the suburbs of Benin city. It was never spoken inside the city in the past and the city was a large city of that era. The Edo who own the land re entered the city when the empire collapsed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni And Wuraola Visit Sultan Of Sokoto In His Palace. See Photos / Ooni Of Ife Radiates In His Newly Refurbished Palace, Amidst Marriage Separation / Village Women Gathered To Flog Man Who Beats His Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.