Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,316 members, 7,780,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:41 PM

How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks (33307 Views)

16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff? / The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by moyinoluwabun(m): 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2015
igboboy3:
How can you identify the contract staff in the bank?
they don't always look happy.

4 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by kazman117: 12:26pm On Nov 21, 2015
maximunimpact:
Contract staff or support staff are the category of workforce in Nigerian banks who are insourced from consulting firms. They are employees of these outsourcing firms but their services is seconded to a designated bank. The bank pay their salaries on an agreed commission with their employers.

Working in the bank as a contract staff is a very challenging job, to buttress my points the following facts can be associated with contract staff as it relates to banking:

1. There is no pre-determined tenor even though the word “contract” is used
2. Contract staff form above 70% of entire workforce in Nigerian banks
3. They earn between N40,000 – N150,000 depending on the bank
4. They are not promoted the same way with the banks’ staff
5. They are not entitled to any retirement benefit from the bank
6. Their qualifications are mostly OND and HND
7. They usually serve as tellers, marketers and sometimes customer service officers

In recent times, there has been a lot of clamor to abolish “contract staffing” in the system because of the above facts and some other reasons. The truth is that no matter what anybody says or does outsourcing is a legitimate business and it can never be ended by any judicial, legislative or executive directive. It is a practice that has international backing because it is obtainable globally.

The bank through insourcing have created jobs for thousands of Nigerians and they take steps further by training and duly equipping their workforce in order to beat the competition in the labor market. Working in the banking environment regardless of your category brings out the best in you.

But what should be the proper orientation for those who are contract staff? I have done a research as well as attended some orientation programs organized by the major outsourcing firms in Nigeria; coupled with my personal experience the following points can rightly position support staff with positive mindset towards the job:

ACCEPT THE TERMS OF YOUR SERVICE: Before assuming duty as a contract staff in any bank, there is an offer letter in place, take out ample time to read and understand the terms of your engagement and truly accept it. Doing this will place you where you belong and save you the stress of a “failed expectation and disappointment”. Do not try to understand the terms of your service from what other people said, find out yourself and act accordingly.

DEFINE HOW LONG YOU WILL STAY ON THE JOB FROM THE BEGINNING: This is one fact that can easily go unnoticed as a result of the excitements that comes with “I got a new job”. Even though the terms of service did not specify any fixed tenor of contract expiration, you should set it for yourself according to your goals and objectives. This is because your disposition in your first and second year changes when you enter year three, four ……… and so on. Experience has shown that those who complain about being contract staff are the ones who have spent more than five years on the job. Stagnancy stinks, and when that sets in it means time to walk away.

SET GOALS AND TARGETS FOR YOURSELF: I don’t know of anybody who wish to be a contract staff forever, the human nature is created with the desire to move from one level to another. Most contract staff aspire to someday be professional staff. If you are using OND the right goal is to upgrade to a higher degree, thankfully all Nigerian banks encourage continuous learning and education. If your target is not furthering education make sure there is a business plan in motion. Your set goals should be able to come through within the time limit you set for yourself.

STOP COMPLAINING: Yes there is always the temptation of complaining about injustice or maltreatment in the system, the truth is that everyone has their place in life. Joining the bandwagon in complaining about everything will do more harm than good. Accept your place and aspire higher.

SAVE FOR THE FUTURE: The biggest challenge as a contract staff is saving. This is an environment with a lot of influences and attitudes which can easily derail people from saving. In banking anything can happen, and the only way to prepare for this is to save for the future.

OBEY ALL SUPERVISORS: Maybe your supervisor is your age mate or even younger, and you feel there is no need to submit to him or her. Insubordination can terminate your appointment quicker than any other thing. The best attitude is to accept your supervisor as your boss. Always know that your boss is always right.

DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN PILFERING: Once in a while the temptation comes, one out of 100 notes; who will notice you may ask. But when you are caught you will be fired and the impact on your reputation is massive. Be contented with what you earn.

These are just a few of the winning formula for surviving as a contract staff in any Nigerian bank, having this orientation will save you from a lot of headache. I also want to note that being a contract staff does not mean you cannot be part of the banks’ core in the future. There are some banks that have started converting those with degree, although the conversion rate is low for now. With time it should improve as the industry become more viable and strong.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2015/11/21/how-to-succeed-as-a-contract-staff-in-nigerian-banks/

God bles u op

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by braine(m): 12:27pm On Nov 21, 2015
Basil480:
Yea true talk.......I am one of the victim,I was one of MTN contract staff on sales and also a call centre Agent with low income But suddenly the contract ended after. Five months promising to give a call_back•

Was it the one with Chams?
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Adesiji77: 12:28pm On Nov 21, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

I know this contract staff

You "know" or you a married to him? tongue lipsrsealed

I just dey joke o wink cheesy
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by obajoey(m): 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2015
nice piece and so true..

moyinoluwabun:
I once worked with Skye bank as a contract staff but I knew from day one of resumption that this is not where God is bringing me. I worked diligently but that doesn't stop me from applying on daily basis. At a time I travelled all d way from Lagos to attend Interview in Minna (NECO) cos I refused to be comfortable with d contract work and didn't allow d distance to discourage me. If u're a contract staff anywhere 'not even bank alone' be determined and don't stop applying.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Lastanza: 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2015
[quote author=maximunimpact post=40248391]Contract staff or support staff are the category of workforce in Nigerian banks who are insourced from consulting firms. They are employees of these outsourcing firms but their services is seconded to a designated bank. The bank pay their salaries on an agreed commission with their employers.

Working in the bank as a contract staff is a very challenging job, to buttress my points the following facts can be associated with contract staff as it relates to banking:

1. There is no pre-determined tenor even though the word “contract” is used
2. Contract staff form above 70% of entire workforce in Nigerian banks
3. They earn between N40,000 – N150,000 depending on the bank
4. They are not promoted the same way with the banks’ staff
5. They are not entitled to any retirement benefit from the bank
6. Their qualifications are mostly OND and HND
7. They usually serve as tellers, marketers and sometimes customer service officers

In recent times, there has been a lot of clamor to abolish “contract staffing” in the system because of the above facts and some other reasons. The truth is that no matter what anybody says or does outsourcing is a legitimate business and it can never be ended by any judicial, legislative or executive directive. It is a practice that has international backing because it is obtainable globally.

The bank through insourcing have created jobs for thousands of Nigerians and they take steps further by training and duly equipping their workforce in order to beat the competition in the labor market. Working in the banking environment regardless of your category brings out the best in you.

But what should be the proper orientation for those who are contract staff? I have done a research as well as attended some orientation programs organized by the major outsourcing firms in Nigeria; coupled with my personal experience the following points can rightly position support staff with positive mindset towards the job:

ACCEPT THE TERMS OF YOUR SERVICE: Before assuming duty as a contract staff in any bank, there is an offer letter in place, take out ample time to read and understand the terms of your engagement and truly accept it. Doing this will place you where you belong and save you the stress of a “failed expectation and disappointment”. Do not try to understand the terms of your service from what other people said, find out yourself and act accordingly.

DEFINE HOW LONG YOU WILL STAY ON THE JOB FROM THE BEGINNING: This is one fact that can easily go unnoticed as a result of the excitements that comes with “I got a new job”. Even though the terms of service did not specify any fixed tenor of contract expiration, you should set it for yourself according to your goals and objectives. This is because your disposition in your first and second year changes when you enter year three, four ……… and so on. Experience has shown that those who complain about being contract staff are the ones who have spent more than five years on the job. Stagnancy stinks, and when that sets in it means time to walk away.

SET GOALS AND TARGETS FOR YOURSELF: I don’t know of anybody who wish to be a contract staff forever, the human nature is created with the desire to move from one level to another. Most contract staff aspire to someday be professional staff. If you are using OND the right goal is to upgrade to a higher degree, thankfully all Nigerian banks encourage continuous learning and education. If your target is not furthering education make sure there is a business plan in motion. Your set goals should be able to come through within the time limit you set for yourself.

STOP COMPLAINING: Yes there is always the temptation of complaining about injustice or maltreatment in the system, the truth is that everyone has their place in life. Joining the bandwagon in complaining about everything will do more harm than good. Accept your place and aspire higher.

SAVE FOR THE FUTURE: The biggest challenge as a contract staff is saving. This is an environment with a lot of influences and attitudes which can easily derail people from saving. In banking anything can happen, and the only way to prepare for this is to save for the future.

OBEY ALL SUPERVISORS: Maybe your supervisor is your age mate or even younger, and you feel there is no need to submit to him or her. Insubordination can terminate your appointment quicker than any other thing. The best attitude is to accept your supervisor as your boss. Always know that your boss is always right.

DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN PILFERING: Once in a while the temptation comes, one out of 100 notes; who will notice you may ask. But when you are caught you will be fired and the impact on your reputation is massive. Be contented with what you earn.

These are just a few of the winning formula for surviving as a contract staff in any Nigerian bank, having this orientation will save you from a lot of headache. I also want to note that being a contract staff does not mean you cannot be part of the banks’ core in the future. There are some banks that have started converting those with degree, although the conversion rate is low for now. With time it should improve as the industry become more viable and strong.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2015/11/21/how-to-succeed-as-a-contract-staff-in-nigerian-banks/[/quote
[img][
Pls elaborate on d integrity test. Meaning, modalities, and requirements.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by ableguy(m): 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2015
End time contract ;DEnd time contract
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Herbeolar(m): 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2015
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by miqos02(m): 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2015
nice post
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Sunbellar: 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
The problem I have with some contract staff is that they get too comfortable there.

I know this contract staff, the guy kept telling every other full staff that one day he would be part of profit sharing and all. It was like a joke, he started doing his Masters. Fortunately the bank started converting contract staff with good HND grades and a particular age range to semi-full staff_ he was among the first set to be converted .

Now, the guy is enjoying his life fairly. With experience, he would port to another bank.
He now participates in profit sharing, entitled to car loan etc... that's a determined contract staff.

Your response sounds as if you work in a bank? Did I guess right?
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by jalonwins: 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2015
Plz tell them
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by lokonzo78: 1:45pm On Nov 21, 2015
The best Bank in Nigeria to work as contract staff is FCMB. As an Operation staff, once you are diligent and get a degree, you can rise to become Head of Operation. As a marketer, you can become also a full staff and earn good pay. Testimonies are abound. However, the Bank doesnt tolerate non performance. I have a testimony in a friend that works with the Bank.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by sirp2007: 2:09pm On Nov 21, 2015
Contract staffing is nt slavery as some re claiming
in CS u hv option to quit unlike slavery
its a common practice in bizness world 2 minimize cost esp whr there is high unemployment rate.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by NewIdeas: 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2015
Nigerians, lets reject anything contract staff.When they advertise and no one applies, no be person go tell them to recruit direct but i know some will still tell you that half bread is better than non
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by dshe: 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2015
For the first time am not scared of saying the truth. Have been a contract staff with gtbank for close to10 solid years. At inception I had a projection of 5 yrs. But circumstances after graduating has left me stranded. I often wonder why I keep kitting up to the office, maybe for my 2 kids and too little savings. how do I fend for them and myself if I quit.Still searching thou. With a determined mind not to give up on life,not to steal, not to pilfer I will make my own money no matter how long it takes. peeps pray for me I really need it.

8 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Gwan2(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2015
lokonzo78:
The best Bank in Nigeria to work as contract staff is FCMB. As an Operation staff, once you are diligent and get a degree, you can rise to become Head of Operation. As a marketer, you can become also a full staff and earn good pay. Testimonies are abound. However, the Bank doesnt tolerate non performance. I have a testimony in a friend that works with the Bank.

Waz diz one saying?
The same Fcmb and UBA dat a thread was created abt dem wit d suggestion by som1 to open a Twitter handle #no2fcmbnUBaslavery?
The bottom line is all diz banks exploits young lads in d name of DSA or wateva, but I see eye to eye wit d Op's suggestion...quite helpful
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Mckayzee(m): 2:36pm On Nov 21, 2015
dshe:
For the first time am not scared of saying the truth. Have been a contract staff with gtbank for close to10 solid years. At inception I had a projection of 5 yrs. But circumstances after graduating has left me stranded. I often wonder why I keep kitting up to the office, maybe for my 2 kids and too little savings. how do I fend for them and myself if I quit.Still searching thou. With a determined mind not to give up on life,not to steal, not to pilfer I will make my own money no matter how long it takes. peeps pray for me I really need it.
You would have a better paying job soon by God's grace sir, emm... Sir would you advice someone who just bagged his first degree like me to consider taking a contract staff job in a bank now or rather still be on the look out for a job that soothes my field(computer engineering)..your advice is urgently needed sir.

3 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Bom4Real: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
There IS No benefits That Can equate TO modern slavery called contract Staff,These Banks Can still Employ Direct and Pay Them directly From Their Funds,i Know strongly That Some Management Staff Get kick-Bäck From THE contracting firms.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by smsshola(m): 3:00pm On Nov 21, 2015
Love of the world....
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by kacchy(m): 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2015
Perilous time banks
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by metrosexual: 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
Informative thread I must say.

Please I would like to know more about the contract job issue in banks, I had missed an interview with one of the outsourcing firms for banks(Workforce) some time ago and I have another interview with them on monday, from all I have been reading here about contract staff I mostly see "OND/HND" mentioned here, I have not seen much about a "B.Sc", I have a B.Sc and I would like to know the pay grade for B.Sc holders in the contract staff role.

Please, actual salary figures for various job roles for various banks for B.Sc contract staff would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

cc: maximunimpact, dshe, Gwan2, lokonzo78, moyinoluwabun, magicfingers009, menix, CITIZENX
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by CITIZENX: 3:38pm On Nov 21, 2015
This contract staff thing is pathetic! I was a full staff of a bank that is just entering the retail mass market. Just recently, they outsourced everyone of us on the derogatory trainee level, the reason they adduced was that staff on that grade level do not have HND and BSc. However, opportunity was not given to some of us with the said HND and BSc before the decision was taken, since the decision to outsource was based on the the fact that some staff do not have the required qualifications. I was looking forward to working in a specialized unit like FINCON where I can put my analytical mind into full use.I had gotten the application form a Masters program in UNILAG, but now, Busola and her team have messed up the whole thing. Gentlemen, I am searching for another job now, I cant continue as a contract staff, I did not join the bank as one at the beginning. I have worked on all the units in branch Operations- Cash & Teller, Customer Service and Funds transfer. I dont mind even a Relationship Officers position; I can bring in =N=50 Million in new deposit and I have more than 7 years experience.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by menix(m): 4:08pm On Nov 21, 2015
metrosexual:

Please I would like to know more about the contract job issue in banks, I had missed an interview with one of the outsourcing firms for banks(Workforce) some time ago and I have another interview with them on monday, from all I have been reading here about contract staff I mostly see "OND/HND" mentioned here, I have not seen much about a "B.Sc", I have a B.Sc and I would like to know the pay grade for B.Sc holders in the contract staff role.

Please, actual salary figures for various job roles for various banks for B.Sc contract staff would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

cc: maximunimpact, dshe, Gwan2, lokonzo78, moyinoluwabun, magicfingers009, menix, CITIZENX

Bsc as contract staff in a bank??
Was it specified when u applied that u could apply with a Bsc??

I know of a friend who was bounced when they noticed he got shortlisted with a Bsc.

Well if HND contract gets around 80-90k for some banks like the old generation banks u might get 100k. With ur Bsc...
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by CITIZENX: 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2015
metrosexual:

Thanks in advance!

If you are 28 or less be patient and get a direct employment. No career in contract. we were outsourced to workforce. I don't know exactly how much they pay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by chukxy44(m): 5:22pm On Nov 21, 2015
Someone wrote.... Last week, I drove into a fuel station for a refill. My car has a fuel tank capacity of about 60 litres. While the pump attendant filled my tank, a motorcyclist also rode in to the second pump. Before I knew it, the motorcycle was full and the rider rode off while I was still at the pump.I got in before the motorcyclist but he left before me. It suddenly occurred to me that it would be absolutely silly of me to think "I got here before him. How come he is leaving before me?" Why? Our capacity is not the same. The truth is there are times in life when we are stuck at the pump of divinity. Those who came in behind us have gone ahead of us; those who learnt from you seem to have outrun you; those who graduated years after you are now the ones calling the shot and it seems as though you are stuck.Could it just be that your capacity is bigger than theirs? Could it be that your own assignment needs longer preparation? Could it be that your character is being formed for the task ahead?You do not know what you need. Only the One who designed the journey knows what is important. Why don't you hold on? People will often say my mates are doing this..... my mates have done that ..... my mates have this... My mates are now.... But I'm still here doing, having, nothing. It is important to know that you spent nine months of formation in your mother's womb alone and you were given birth to alone even if you're a twin. Therefore never classify anyone as your mate. God's dealings with/in your life is never an estimation of what is happening in the life of your friend or colleagues. God's dealing in your life is VERY PERSONAL and unique and should never be an estimation of physical and tangible things. Age mates are not always MATES and classmates don't always end up in the same CLASS Take your gaze off other people's path and concentrate on the race. You WILL earn your own medal! # copied YOU WILL SUCCEED! Have a refreshing weekend.

6 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by chukzzy1(m): 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2015
Today is my birthday but I won't beg for likes..

4 Likes

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by dpacesetter(m): 5:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
NewIdeas:
Nigerians, lets reject anything contract staff.When they advertise and no one applies, no be person go tell them to recruit direct but i know some will still tell you that half bread is better than non
I will appreciate an idea generated from a bed bug, than your new idea.
really appreciate the idea, you dished out from your empty skull.

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by dshe: 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2015
Mckayzee post=40258753]
You would have a better paying job soon by God's grace sir, emm... Sir would you advice someone who just bagged his first degree like me to consider taking a contract staff job in a bank now or rather still be on the look out for a job that soothes my field(computer engineering)..your advice is urgently needed sir.

I appreciate you. I think you should take any job pending your securing a desired one. An idle mind they say...Just make sure you are a good customer service person, I still am till this moment.But don't allow the charade of banking get into your head, stay focused on your pursuit. your case is distinct from mine I was just too committed to the job that other things suffered. Banking still resonates in my blood.The sky is your starting point.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by NewIdeas: 7:27pm On Nov 21, 2015
dpacesetter:

I will appreciate an idea generated from a bed bug, than your new idea.
really appreciate the idea, you dished out from your empty skull.
Hater, keep on going for icsl interview/test you will still be the loser at last.Wise men always think of permanent solution to issues but i see that you are one of those failures who believes in half bread.Enjoy the bones !

1 Like

Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by wman(m): 8:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
NewIdeas:

Hater, keep on going for icsl interview/test you will still be the loser at last.Wise men always think of permanent solution to issues but i see that you are one of those failures who believes in half bread.Enjoy the bones !

dpacesetter is very right. Minimum wage in Nigeria is 18k. So many graduates are paid 50k or less. There are millions that are currently unemployed.

And you are here talking about boycotting some jobs that pay as much as 80k. You might as well say everyone that is paid less than 50k should boycott his job.
Reason am well abeg.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by joeweeda: 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2015
[quote author=CITIZENX post=40263200]
If you are 28 or less be patient and get a direct employment. No career in contract. we were outsourced to workforce. I don't know exactly how much they pay.

It totally depends on the HR policy of the banks. They determine what to afford thou some outsourcing companies are more transparent, most are totally corrupt(dont want to mention them) and may actually take more than 50 % of your remuneration. Take a walk to any of the bank's tellers they are always ready to assist you with any info. but dont be desperate with contract staffing you could get demoralized. Goodluck.
Re: How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2015
How does one get the job

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Glaring Signs That You Are Being Underpaid (Photos) / Nigerian Banks To Start Mass Sacking Due To Naira Fall!! / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.