Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? (2393 Views)

What Are The Things You Will Like Your Church To Change? / 12 Ways To Identify Pharisees In Your Church / I'm Fed UP!! I Want To Start A Church! Who Is With Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by daroz(m): 5:48am On Nov 22, 2015
This question just popped out cos a friend of mine is about to receive his very first real salary. He was trained by his parents up to the university level, they still take care of him and infact he still live in their house. There is a strong tradition in the house whereby the first salary of anybody in the house is submitted to the family who now in return give the person back a small token to live on till his next salary.

However, he also belong to a church whereby they have a strong tradition where the 1st salary of members belong to the church. To crown it all, the church is also instrumental to his securing this job, which is a very good one . Unfortunately, the parents don't share that ideology and they don't belong to the same church.

So, he is now in a state of dilemma, not knowing what to do. He contacted me for advice, but I too don't know what to advice. I don't want to advice him to disobey his parents, neither will i tell him to disobey his church.
So what will you advice?

I will like to refer him to this post, mod pls help me out.
Do the needful.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Raiders: 5:52am On Nov 22, 2015
Why would you give your church the first salary you made? Is it your church to train you from childhood to adult

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 5:53am On Nov 22, 2015
Endtime question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by ikorodureporta: 5:54am On Nov 22, 2015
daroz:
This question just popped out cos a friend of mine is about to receive his very first real salary. He was trained by his parents up to the university level, they still take care of him and infact he still live in their house. There is a strong tradition in the house whereby the first salary of anybody in the house is submitted to the family who now in return give the person back a small token to live on till his next salary.

However, he also belong to a church whereby they have a strong tradition where the 1st salary of members belong to the church. To crown it all, the church is also instrumental to his securing this job, which is a very good one . Unfortunately, the parents don't share that ideology and they don't belong to the same church.

So, he is now in a state of dilemma, not knowing what to do. He contacted me for advice, but I too don't know what to advice. I don't want to advice him to disobey his parents, neither will i tell him to disobey his church.
So what will you advice?

tell am to share am....besides, is the tithe not enuf for the church?
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by rheether(f): 6:02am On Nov 22, 2015
My first salary is mine. But the church and my family can only get a token.

4 Likes

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by SlimBrawnie(f): 6:06am On Nov 22, 2015
Why would a church insist you submit your first salary to them,its a choice.
He should simply pay his tithe and give the rest to his family. That way,he has honoured both God and his family/parent,which is more important.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by AdeniyiA(m): 6:10am On Nov 22, 2015
wisdom, wisdom ....he needs it.

He needs his parents prayers, infact he has been getting the prayers,cares, affection long before he joined any church. The church can't force anybody to do anything ...
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Beesluv: 6:10am On Nov 22, 2015
His parents na.
If the parent didn't send him to school, can the church get that kind of job for him

He can also reach out to the needy

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Beesluv: 6:11am On Nov 22, 2015
Hmmm, end time church.
No wonder some pastors keep changing their cars to the latest while members keep trekking.

So they didn't get the job for him because of God
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by hodusglobal(m): 6:17am On Nov 22, 2015
Our Lord Almighty even says it in the holy book of Quran that should should take care of your parent before any other person...He should settle his parent before paying the church tithe, because he needs more prayer from his parent...
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by cutebobo(m): 6:23am On Nov 22, 2015
Your first salary is your first fruit and it should be given to God and not your parent. Where will you give God? It should be payed to God in your local church, I mean the church you attend
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 22, 2015
rheether:
My first salary is mine. But the church and my family can only get a token.
dats not the Trad!
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by rheether(f): 6:36am On Nov 22, 2015
To hell with the trad. To give the church my first salary even jesus wouldnt approve of it.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by tartar9(m): 6:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Hmmm.. tough question,you mean which one of their daddies will have their first salary. lipsrsealed
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by ademega(m): 6:47am On Nov 22, 2015
hmmm.
I had almost the same issues then. I looked at my family and remembered all what they have gone through. in fact, on daily bases my grandma would always pray for me so that I could secure a job. after the job, I go tell my pastor and problem started. after a lot of thoughts, I concluded that my parents made it happened and the prayers of my grandma was not in vain. then I gave my parents.
up till now my pastor still dey fight me
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by permsec: 7:10am On Nov 22, 2015
rheether:
To hell with the trad. To give the church my first salary even jesus wouldnt approve of it.
Aren't you blaspheming lady? Me thinks my first salary goes to my parents.

But most parent just take a little out of it as an indication of accepting the money.

Church gets 10 percent.
The remaining one for personal maintainance and transportation.

Its a win-win situation.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by QueenEdna(f): 7:27am On Nov 22, 2015
Its simple, i will pay my tithe, give a token to my parents in appreciation for their efforts in educating me aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ then keep the rest for my upkeep......
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Dollarjunkie: 7:43am On Nov 22, 2015
SlimBrawnie:
He should simply pay his tithe and give the rest to his family. That way,he has honoured both God and his family/parent,which is more important.

Seconded

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by icekream(m): 8:23am On Nov 22, 2015
I'l gv everything to my parents... God will be pleased
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by yorex2011: 8:25am On Nov 22, 2015
Remove 10% and pay your tithe, give the remaining 90% to your parents who will take it, pray for you and bless you, they should then return at least 70 back to you, after sharing the rest prolly among siblings and themselves as a way of eating "broda's first fruit" use a token too to help the poor,
Then carry on with your normal monthly tithes, also remember to send something to ur parents too.. No matter hw small, even if na 5k monthly, their prayers and blessings will forever be with you.
Also help the poor and less privileged while you can..
Have a good calculation of all these so that you have enough left to take care if urself, save, invest and unwind if needed.

Its not about having sooo much but by being happy with the little you have and God will keep adding on to you.
Even nature sef won't let you ever lack because of ur acts of kindness to the poor (who will also pray for you to even have more and more sef)

God bless you sir

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 22, 2015
You don't owe the church nor your parents. Give yourself a treat and when more money comes you can give something meaningful to both. Doing good should starts with being good to yourself.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 22, 2015
I repeat, none.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by cold(m): 9:22am On Nov 22, 2015
Religion will be the death of my people..deep sigh
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by orisa37: 3:39pm On Nov 22, 2015
Your Parents. Always give your Tithe to your Parents.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by tpiadotcom: 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
ademega:
hmmm.
I had almost the same issues then. I looked at my family and remembered all what they have gone through. in fact, on daily bases my grandma would always pray for me so that I could secure a job. after the job, I go tell my pastor and problem started. after a lot of thoughts, I concluded that my parents made it happened and the prayers of my grandma was not in vain. then I gave my parents.
up till now my pastor still dey fight me

you are hot.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by kevoh(m): 6:34pm On Nov 25, 2015
C'est grave grin So if the OP's parents were struggling to eat 3 square meals a day, he/she would still be asking this silly question with an obvious answer! Mehn, religion (especially the Abrahamic faiths) truly blocks all avenue of logical reasoning.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
SlimBrawnie:
I don't think any church will force u to submit your first fruit. It should be something you do willingly

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
Well
If you ppl understand the mystery of first fruit offering u won't be talking like this.
Just like I said earlier it's something to be done willingly but I ll advice u to give it to God.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 26, 2015
None of the above. But i will be generous.
Re: Your Parents Or Your Church, Who Should Have Your 1st Salary? by daroz(m): 7:36am On Nov 26, 2015
Pomzy:
Well
If you ppl understand the mystery of first fruit offering u won't be talking like this.
Just like I said earlier it's something to be done willingly but I ll advice u to give it to God.

Years ago when I was in Christ Embassy, yearly, all members are expected to bring in their January salary to church, and they call it 1st fruit. Though they try to use the bible to justify the Act, I never participated in it , cos I consider it as a means of extortion, cos it's an old testament law and it brings an unnecessary hardship upon its members . I don't know if it's still in practice though.

But this one time thing is what I don't still get. This 1st salary ever, is a real definition of 1st fruit. Biblically it belongs to God. Traditionally , it belongs to your parents . The issue here is a clash btw religion and tradition .

(1) (Reply)

Demonic Attacks & Why You Should Build A Faraday Cage / Man Wins Land Dispute Case Against His Church, Does Thanksgiving In Same Church / F.E.C.A Nigeria - Any Members Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.