Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,266 members, 7,807,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. (2840 Views)

Yoruba People In The North Dissociate Themselves From Call For Oduduwa Republic / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode / 15 Great Facts You Probably Don't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by turnup05: 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2015
coolThe Yoruba speaking people are mainly located in the south western part of Nigeria. This race of people are unique in various ways and internationally known world over for their good culture. Here are some amazing characteristics of the Yoruba people.

1.HISTORY: The Yoruba people have a very rich history and are known to be one of the earliest thriving civilizations in Africa because of the Oyo kingdom. The progenitor of the yoruba race is Oduduwa and it is believed that he migrated from the middle east to settle down in the present Ile-Ife south west Nigeria. He then gave royal backing to his sons to go and rule other kingdoms but have an affiliate with the Ife kingdom regarding it as their source. This is why most kings regard the Ooni of Ife as a foremost and paramount ruler in Yoruba land. It is also interesting to note that each King in Yoruba Land has a different or unique title name given to him. Making the yoruba people to have the highest number traditional title names of Kings in the world. Also each Palace always have a market close to it and they are always called Oja-Oba(kings Market).

2.ARTS, LITERATURE AND CRAFT: The Ife bronze heads shows that the Yoruba people had special knowledge and skills in casting different from anywhere in the world. The Yoruba proverbs also serves as a rich source of moral advise, inspiration and motivation to people. The first nobel prize on literature in Nigeria was given to Professor Wole Soyinka and no one has achieved this feat in Nigeria till now. His rich usage of Yoruba literature has helped him in his profession. The artistic wooden carvings and clay sculptures also lend credence to the rich culture of the people.

3.FOODS: Delicious foods like pounded yam (Iyan) Yam flour meal (amala) as well cassava meals (garri,eba) including the sumptuous stews like melon stew, draw vegetable(ewedu) and vegetable stew (shokoyokoto) has made people from all over the world to cherish yoruba delicacies. Also snacks like peppered plantain chips (dodo Ikire) have always been used as good appetizers. All these mouthwatering dishes are not only tasty but have nutritional value.

4.LEADERS: The Yoruba race has been blessed with a lot of great leaders in various fields and endeavors of life. Ranging from Politics, Religion, Business, Literature and so on. Some of these leaders have been mentioned on the Forbes list as one of the most influential people in the world. The first premier of the western region Chief Obafemi Awolowo recorded a lot of first during his time like the first sky scraper built in Ibadan with cocoa sales (Cocoa House) setting up the first Radio and T.V station as well as the Opening of the First University in Nigeria University of Ibadan are some of his achievements. Chief OluSegun Obasanjo who was former military head of state later became a civilian president 20 years later after he was released from prison. Chief MKO Abiola a former president elect who died in prison is regarded as Martyr of Democracy in Nigeria. Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu has also been a very influential politician who supported five sitting governors in southwest in elections and they won. So he is regarded as A God father of at least seven governors in Nigeria today. He was also very useful in installing the incumbent President Buhari after he had contested severally. In Business the richest black woman is Chief F. Alakija according to forbes list. Other business tycoons are chief Mike Adenuga owner of Glo the first indigenous owned telecommunication company his other companies are ETB and Conoil . Otunba Femi Otedola is the owner of Forte Oil one of the biggest Oil firms in Nigeria.

5.ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment aspect is so rich and interesting. Starting from Music the yoruba have different genres of music like Akpala, fuji, afro juju, Afro beats amongst others. Very popular musicains like Fela, King Sunny Ade are Yoruba people. Young super stars like wizkid, davido are also making waves in the music industry with international stars doing collaborations with them including International yoruba stars like Seal and Wale. The Yoruba film industry is also very big with plenty interesting films being released everyday. Some T.V stations only show Yoruba films through out the day showing the versatility of the industry. Interesting games are not left out; there is chess game so also the yoruba have the Ayo game.
6.SPORTS: the Yoruba can boast of many great sports men like Thunder Balogun and Rashidi Yekini in football. Also Hakeem Olajuwon in basket ball was from the southwest.
7.CULTURAL RENAISANCE: The Yoruba are very proud of their culture displaying it and speaking it at any given opportunity. They are a hospitable race and Welcome visitors including Blacks from the Diaspora who want to trace their roots back to Africa. These diasporans are integrated back into the culture and given yoruba names. They are also thought how to speak the Yoruba language. Yorubas feel their language is becoming extinct when ninety percent of them still speak it with their children even as they hardly speak other languages. The Creoles of the Carribean Countries in the Americas also have yoruba words in their languages.
8.TRADITIONAL ARCHITECTURAL: Yoruba traditional architecture is Unique; most of the buildings roofs are triangular in shape and always slanting downwards past the lintel. They always have a lot of pillars and columns of traditionally carved totem poles with figures. The doors and windows are also carved with figures.

9.RELIGION: The Yoruba people are a very religious group of people. They are also blessed with great religious leaders who are known world over for their powerful anointing. Like under the Christian Faith the yorubas have great men Pastor E.A.Adeboye (RCCG), Bishop OYEDEPO(WINNERS) T.B Joshua(SYNAGOGUE) Pastor Kumuyi (Deeper Life) Pastor OluKoya(MFM) amongst others. The firts bible to be translated to an African language especially in West Africa was by A yoruba Priest Bishop Ajayi Crowther. The great Prophet Ayo BabaLola the founder of C.A.C world wide was a great pentacostal revivalist who spread the word like fire.
10. TEXTILES: The Yoruba have always been fashionable people with their different styles and accessories. The women,s Gele (head tie) are always spectacular. So also the mens cap and agbada which are always captivating. The Aso-Oke always go with diferent yoruba attires. The tye and dye clothes (adire) have always being with them for generations. Also there are different styles like kembe and dansiki which is now coming back to be invogue by the youths. The concept of aso ebi and aso oke where also introduced by yoruba people where people pick a particular pattern of textile material and wear them in an occassion to make for uniformity and solidarity with the celebrant at the event . There are different yoruba hair styles that are also attractive too.
All these and more to numerous to mention needs to be packaged together to form a tourist park which will showcase all these aspects of The Yoruba to the world for future references.
Source: www.naijatourswatch..com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Bekwarra(m): 11:17pm On Nov 22, 2015
I was here
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by callmelanner(m): 11:20pm On Nov 22, 2015
Good grin
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Maxi112: 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2015
make I book space here.. Cause I smell something is going to happen here
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by illiad: 11:38pm On Nov 22, 2015
Lol
Funny people.

1 Like

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Bekwarra(m): 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
illiad:
Lol
Funny people.
Ok
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by yommen: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
illiad:
Lol

Funny people.

You mean blessed people. You don't have to comment if you have nothing to say though.
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by wiseoneking: 2:20am On Nov 23, 2015
Yeah thats a good one from yoruba land, going back to the culture but the first indeginous university in Nigeria is UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, nsukka by Zik of Africa. No doubt, yoruba's are great though very poor in commerce, entrepreneur/slow to venture out and science tech. They should work in this three areas. For almost three decades the information in education is not encouraging:low female enrollment, poor waec/jamb performance, low primary school enrollment etc. The culture shock i do have with yorubas is their extreme love for partying for anything. An average person is thinking the next ashebi to wear, the money to spend in cooking, getting a decent hall etc. These leads to huge borrowing and poor investment. Osun oshogbo festival for ifa worshippers, christians and muslims alike, i detest. Swerving and belonging to 2 or three of this religion at thesame time is very unserious-BAT LIFE. Syncritism. They love dancing with quite a humble population.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by SHOPPERS(m): 2:53am On Nov 23, 2015
OK.
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by IlekeHD: 2:56am On Nov 23, 2015
Great article OP. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your posts smiley
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by turnup05: 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2015
IlekeHD:
IlekeHD:

Sure no problem.
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
another article meant to massage our egos... grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Shollydriv(m): 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2016
Yorubas has the second richest king in Africa and first in Nigeria. Obateru of Igbo land
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Nobody: 1:13am On Mar 08, 2016
wiseoneking:
Yeah thats a good one from yoruba land, going back to the culture but the first indeginous university in Nigeria is UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, nsukka by Zik of Africa. No doubt, yoruba's are great though very poor in commerce, entrepreneur/slow to venture out and science tech. They should work in this three areas. For almost three decades the information in education is not encouraging:low female enrollment, poor waec/jamb performance, low primary school enrollment etc. The culture shock i do have with yorubas is their extreme love for partying for anything. An average person is thinking the next ashebi to wear, the money to spend in cooking, getting a decent hall etc. These leads to huge borrowing and poor investment. Osun oshogbo festival for ifa worshippers, christians and muslims alike, i detest. Swerving and belonging to 2 or three of this religion at thesame time is very unserious-BAT LIFE. Syncritism. They love dancing with quite a humble population.
The first inddiginous university in Nigeria is UI. The University of Ibadan was established in in 1932 - 1948. While the University of Nigeria was establised in 1955-1960
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by blasterman(m): 1:40am On Mar 08, 2016
wiseoneking:

If you look at IT, telecoms in Nigeria r pioneered by majority of yorubas idk.about today.

What of law, accounting, etc
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 08, 2016
You Forget to add this........

*YORUBA LANGUAGE HAVE TAKEN OVER NIGERIA MUSIC INDUSTRY*

Continue singing without yoruba at your own peril.....

Only Phyno can say NO to this.. But still phyno do speak it once when he is on the roll with other singers
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by ShegeYorubawa: 6:40am On Mar 08, 2016
princey83:

The first inddiginous university in Nigeria is UI. The University of Ibadan was established in in 1932 - 1948. While the University of Nigeria was establised in 1955-1960

Sorry UI wasn't established by the brits as the first indigenous university, it was first established as a college campus of a univeristy in london. The first indigenous established was UNN.

3 Likes

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by seunny4lif(m): 6:49am On Mar 08, 2016
grin
Really grin
Tell me more
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by seunny4lif(m): 6:52am On Mar 08, 2016
But we Yoruba need to be careful with this our accommodating culture before Hausa people chase us comot for Lagos state grin grin
I rep Ondo state
We no dey carry last grin
Slap me make I slap you
We no dey make noise grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by kevinscore2: 7:28am On Mar 08, 2016
You 4got to put this one "they talk 2 much"
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by seunny4lif(m): 7:43am On Mar 08, 2016
grin
But not all Yoruba now grin
Lagos Yoruba grin
kevinscore2:
You 4got to put this one "they talk 2 much"
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Sunky200: 8:01am On Mar 08, 2016
what a blessed race

rich culture
great people
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by kingzizzy: 8:17am On Mar 08, 2016
Sunky200:
what a blessed race

rich culture

great people

But still cannot survive without 'one Nigeria'? I don't take a people who have no sense of self determination seriously. A measure of greatness is the ability to stand alone.
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by kevinscore2: 9:55am On Mar 08, 2016
seunny4lif:
grin
But not all Yoruba now grin
Lagos Yoruba grin

Ok bro,thanks 4 saying d truth
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by seunny4lif(m): 9:56am On Mar 08, 2016
grin
I hail oooh grin
Anything for your boy cheesy
kevinscore2:

Ok bro,thanks 4 saying d truth
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by oludare007: 10:36am On Mar 08, 2016
Everything you posted are peculiar to any tribe!
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by Ovamboland(m): 12:02pm On Mar 08, 2016
kingzizzy:

But still cannot survive without 'one Nigeria'? I don't take a people who have no sense of self determination seriously. A measure of greatness is the ability to stand alone.

But the first time some people are not part of the central government then they remembered they wanted self-determination.
Re: Ten Great Facts About The Yoruba People. by princdebola201(m): 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2016
wiseoneking:
U mean poor enterpreneurs..?
I am ver sure you don't know meaning of this three things. A trader, A businessmen and an Enterprenuer..

Igbos fall in the cateogry of traders and businessmen not enterprenuer.

Poor Waec and jamb..? LOL..!! Isn't it a mystery for a region to always top Waec list of best performance but never produce the best student in the same exam.(Special centres Lol)
While the region you claim performance is Low produce the Best student in the same Waec and neco exams..isn't it obvious that all those in south east region passed their exams with the help of special centres..
In an olympic event a country than won one gold will come ahead of a country that won 50 silvers and 80 bronzes .

Religion..? Yoruba christains dominate in the world ,talk about, adeboye,(RCCG) oyedepo,(WINNERS) olukoya(MFM) tb joshua(SCOAN)e.t.c

Mr man leave sentiments apart and face reality.gringringrin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Alison-madueke Plotted To Flee To The Dominican Republic Before UK Arrest-SR / Shittes Members Protest In Gombe. what they were chanting will scare you. pics! / A Big Shame To The Nigeria DSS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.