Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,783 members, 7,802,426 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election (35919 Views)

Dino Melaye Reacts To Petitions Submitted To INEC For His Recall / Dino Melaye's Constituents Protest To INEC Office, Demand His Recall (Photos) / INEC; Death Knell of The Card Reader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by DONSMITH123(m): 7:36am On Nov 23, 2015
Lawyers yesterday told the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) that the death of the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) does not invalide the on-going election in the state.

They urged INEC to allow the deputy governorship candidate of the APC, Abiodun Faleke, to conclude the on-going election.

The former Chairman of Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Ikeja Branch, Monday Ubani; a member of the Ogun State Judiciary Service Commission, Abayomi Omoyinmi and a lecturerý of Law at University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, Wahab Shittu said the process should be concluded.

Ubani said: “Since the Electoral Act didn’t specifically provide for things like this happening in the course of an election, we would have to make recourse to the judicial pronouncement in the case of Rotimi Amaechi where the Supreme Court said in an election, it is the political party that is the beneficiary of election and not the candidate. That is why Amaechi that didn’t contest elections was sworn in.

“In this situation, the deputy governorship candidate would have to step in to conclude the process. If he wins the election, the APC would then decide on another deputy for him”.

According to Ubani, the time to choose a candidate through primary election had lapsed for all the political parties and it is not possible for any of the parties to go for primaries anymore.

Omoyinmi said: “In the eyes of the law, the deputy should ordinarily conclude the re-run election for the office of the governor and it is now left for him to pick a new running mate”.

Omoyinmi said the kind of situation in Kogi was not envisaged.

Shittu said the matter could be viewed from different perspectives.

Shittu said since the election was declared inconclusive, the running mate should be allowed to step in and conclude the process of the supplementary election.

This, he said, has become necessary because the electoral law did not envisage such an incident–Audu’s death.

On the other perspective, he said since it is the ýparty that fields the candidate, and that since the election has turned this way, the party would have to replace the governorship candidate.

“Which means that election might be conducted afresh. The death of a candidate during the process of an election automatically voids the election. It is not a question of an election being inconclusive. The entire electoral process is now altered with the death of the governorship candidate,” he said.

Constitutional lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) Malam Yusuf Ali said the situation in Kogi is “very complex, because the election has been declared inconclusive”.

He said: “If he had won the election outright, it would have been a different matter, but with the way things are, it is very delicate.”

Chief Niyi Akintola (SAN) said: “There can be fresh election. INEC can only conduct supplementary election in the 91 polling units. The death of Audu cannot nullify the election. It was APC that contested the governorship election not Audu as an individual.”

Akintola explained that it is left to the APC to pick another candidate from among those that contested the governorship primary with Audu or ask the deputy governorship candidate, James Faleke to take over.

“The decision lies with the APC,” he added.

The presidential candidate of the United Progressive Party (UPP) in the last general elections, Chief Chekwas Okorie, said it was a very shocking development that threw everybody off-balance.

He said: “ From every indication, it is a political party that wins an election; the result so far released suggests that the people of Kogi State are favourably disposed to an APC government to be in-charge of affairs in the next four years. What it therefore means is that the APC still has a chance, even his death, to govern the state, based on the result already declared.

“So, they should follow up the supplementary election with the same atmosphere of peace that we witnessed in last Saturday’s election. If their choice is the APC, then let the APC rule them in the next four years.”

Cc: lalasticlala

http://thenationonlineng.net/lawyers-to-inec-death-of-apc-candidate-does-not-invalidate-election/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by donTbone(m): 7:37am On Nov 23, 2015
What I know and think about Kogi Election!

After Audu's death, I knew it wasn't just 'DEATH', he was killed intentionally. But I asked who might it be
Lemme start from here...Audu was actualy nominated as the APC candidate because he gained ground in Kogi state and he was really popular, not because APC of the state eventually wanna make him go for the govnorship election or because he was a very good man, NO!. And in that case, for them (APC) to win, they need someone who will win the election.

Before his death, though the election wasn't concluded yet, am sure APC won.

Now My View about the incident.

Checking from what happened, we cant say Audu was killed by an opposition party but by his own party. Looking closely, I guess their plan is:
If Audu should win the election, since they actually want his deputy as the gov, the best is to kill Audu, make his deputy be the gov then everything goes fine. But it backfired. The election is inconclusive and I don't think if there is a rerun of the voting (which I don't think there will be), APC might lose ground to PDP I Kogi state.

But my question is still...
WHY WILL THEY WANT HIM DEAD? embarassed

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by SmithEnemona(m): 7:38am On Nov 23, 2015
Wada, Ojo attah do mo age ooo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by OnankpaBa(m): 7:40am On Nov 23, 2015
They urged INEC to allow the deputy governorship candidate of the APC, Abiodun Faleke, to conclude the on-going election.

Good. and i think that's what should happen.

RIP Audu...

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by aare07(m): 7:42am On Nov 23, 2015
May Allah (SWT) forgive the departed soul on behalf of my family and all of us in Federal university Lokoja.

9 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by DONSMITH123(m): 7:42am On Nov 23, 2015
Chief Niyi Akintola (SAN) said: “There can be fresh election. INEC can only conduct supplementary election in the 91 polling units. The death of Audu cannot nullify the election. It was APC that contested the governorship election not Audu as an individual.”

Akintola explained that it is left to the APC to pick another candidate from among those that contested the governorship primary with Audu or ask the deputy governorship candidate, James Faleke to take over.

lets wait and see how it plays out.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by mazzi: 7:43am On Nov 23, 2015
Nation newspaper!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by oluwaSmith1(f): 7:43am On Nov 23, 2015
na wao...

1 Like

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by OnankpaBa(m): 7:45am On Nov 23, 2015
DONSMITH123:

lets wait and see how it plays out.

APC really gat work here...but i begged the youths to remain calm.
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by OnankpaBa(m): 7:52am On Nov 23, 2015
donTbone:
What I know and think about Kogi Election!

After Audu's death, I knew it wasn't just 'DEATH', he was killed intentionally. But I asked who might it be
Lemme start from here...Audu was actualy nominated as the APC candidate because he gained ground in Kogi state and he was really popular, not because APC of the state eventually wanna make him go for the govnorship election or because he was a very good man, NO!. And in that case, for them (APC) to win, they need someone who will win the election.

Before his death, though the election wasn't concluded yet, am sure APC won.

Now My View about the incident.

Checking from what happened, we cant say Audu was killed by an opposition party but by his own party. Looking closely, I guess their plan is:
If Audu should win the election, since they actually want his deputy as the gov, the best is to kill Audu, make his deputy be the gov then everything goes fine. But it backfired. The election is inconclusive and I don't think if there is a rerun of the voting (which I don't think there will be), APC might lose ground to PDP I Kogi state.

But my question is still...
WHY WILL THEY WANT HIM DEAD? embarassed

my brother, politicians can't be trusted.

Even Wada himself is not clean, but only God knows what really happened to AUDU.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by buzquet(m): 7:52am On Nov 23, 2015
We will put his running mate to his position. We av won already

5 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by zinachidi(m): 7:53am On Nov 23, 2015
pls nullify that election, the kogi people voted for audu, not faleke,..

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by donTbone(m): 7:55am On Nov 23, 2015
OnankpaBa:

my brother, politicians can't be trusted.

Even Wada himself is not clean, but only God knows what really happened to AUDU.
Seriously, I really dnt like doing politics.
As for Wada, he has lost his reputation in Kogi.
Trust me, neither of Audu nor Wada is a good option in Kogi...but since that's the options they have,
election must proceed.
And since it is how it is now, God will help Faleke!

17 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by donTbone(m): 7:57am On Nov 23, 2015
zinachidi:
pls nullify that election, the kogi people voted for audu, not faleke,..
And why will they Nullify it
They voted for Audu, not Faleke.. and INEC is more concerned about the Party not Individual...
OR have u heard them call the name of the contestant while counting the votes? undecided

44 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by wildchild1: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2015
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by PLANETMARS(m): 8:05am On Nov 23, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by ichidodo: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2015
We rather let the Supreme justices decide rather than money grubbing lawyers who are keen to let this imbroglio stretch further especially when you consider the hefty legal fees involved in the stretching exercise... Or since Audu is deceased and the deadline of submitting names of fresh candidates has elapsed then it behooves on INEC to remove and annul APC's candidature inaddition to declaring votes casted for the APC as wasted votes by virtue of their candidate's diqualification by death before proceeding to announce Runners up Wada as the Winner of Kogi Gubernatorial 2015

10 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by steph2sweet(f): 8:05am On Nov 23, 2015
A fresh election should be conducted

1 Like

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by looseweight: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2015
Ok
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by BCISLTD: 8:06am On Nov 23, 2015
angry all I see is a test of kogi people nepotism level....

See this

https://www.nairaland.com/2740386/shelves..beautiful
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 23, 2015
Finally, it's power shift to Okun

Section 181(1) of the 1999 constitution states;

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#State_Executive
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by TechRez(m): 8:06am On Nov 23, 2015
This is going to be a long week of Legal tussle..
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 23, 2015
Why are the igala's scared of a power shift? Isn't competence the watchword again...why are we still playing tribal politics... the Constitution is clear, APC reserves the right to appoint a new governorship candidate...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by TeamSimple(m): 8:09am On Nov 23, 2015
What is good for amaechi is also good for faleke. If amaechi could become a governor due to party consideration and not candidate by the supreme court,then I see no reason why faleke shoudnt be sworn in as governor. But that's IF apc is declared winner of the election.
Nb: but I read the supreme Court said amaechi's case shouldn't be used as a precedent. Naija judicial system is synonymous in action to Jimjam or nickledeon channel.

7 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by frankwells(f): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
k
Meanwhile jazz wey pass Kogi own na Angel Lucifer get am,meanwhile APC blames PDP for this,says the blood he vomitted was red,Kyrie Eleison(Lord have mercy)

6 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by Skillz21(m): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
i thought about it too...
Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by dridowu: 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
Constitution interpretation is a very complex, we all interpret it to what will favour us.

One is certain , only the supreme court intetpretation will bind on us.

8 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by menix(m): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
People voted for Audu not APC, Audu was their former Governor whom the Kogi people have tested thus clamoring for his return...

The election should be cancelled pending when APC fields another nd an election conducted..

Even Devil is not as potent as Kogi Juju...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by Viktor1983(m): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
As we proceed.....

1 Like

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
Ultimately, Jagaban has installed another stooge in Kogi in the person of James Faleke

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers To INEC: Death Of APC Candidate Does Not Invalidate Election by SylarsMcQuins: 8:10am On Nov 23, 2015
Nigerians, sum1 just died for Christ sake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

James Ibori Is Set To Return By December, Delta Residents Rejoice / Felix Obuah: Expelling Oshiomhole From APC Can Lead To Suicide / Buhari Seeks Relocation Of US Africa Command Headquarters From Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.