Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) (66750 Views)

Nigerian Awake Someone Somewhere Is Monitoring Your Calls. Photo Proof / Why You Should Use Only The Left Ear To Answer Phone Calls / We Always Say HELLO When Answering Phone Why? See Reason. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by allanphash7(m): 4:15pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pix

64 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by ireplacable(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2015
interesting

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by huntila(m): 4:26pm On Nov 23, 2015
Educative.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Oruemu(f): 4:26pm On Nov 23, 2015
Hiya! So sweet.
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by AnyAndy(m): 4:45pm On Nov 23, 2015
Coo coolCool fact!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by yatch360: 4:53pm On Nov 23, 2015
Oya! Let's all men start answering calls with their girlfriends name ..... tongue
The poster above me won't know which name to use... See e thief man glasses..big time player grin

39 Likes

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Demophoto: 5:03pm On Nov 23, 2015
nice info grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Segadem(m): 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2015
It means hell No grin

Chinese don't say hello, it's only some countries who follow British blindly that dhey do copy copy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by hooged: 5:43pm On Nov 23, 2015
No. This is a popular hoax on internet.

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.

214 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by hooged: 5:44pm On Nov 23, 2015
allanphash7:
Pix

stop spreading wrong information

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by cremedelacreme: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
Na lie joor tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by honeydear(f): 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
Funny smiley
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
wow but i dont always say hello smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by rebelXYZ: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by McCarlito(m): 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
Wow!!!! Now that's truly an inspiring love....

1 Like

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by craigkoel1989: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2015
really nice

1 Like

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by agarawu23(m): 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Well, you always use hello if the caller is anonymous.

If your paddy call you, nothing like "hello"

*phone rings and you pick up* the caller na your paddy

Werey how far na?

Madman how your bend life? grin (conversation don start b that)

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Sijo01(f): 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Interesting cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by profeoo(m): 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Dis one follow for promo
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by dapyd1(m): 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
This information isn't true.
Graham Bell never said hello.
In fact, he preferred the term 'Ahoy'.
It was Thomas Edison that coined 'Hello'.
There were even other versions.
But as with synonyms, hello caught on and every other version died over the years.
Check this:
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-say-hello-to-answer-the-phone

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by IlekeHD: 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Nice information

1 Like

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Niyinficient(m): 6:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Iro nla

In this modern world, some people will just see trash and jumped at it without verifying.

Thomas Edison was first person to use 'Hullo" to start a phone conversation and it was as a surprise, d 'hullo' later metarmophorsed to 'hello. Graham used 'Ahoy' in his first set of telephone. Using 'hello' cos of his gf is just sometin dat came up wen pple got to know of his gf name.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Burger01(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
Interesting but false smiley

8 Likes

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Joshkid(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
ireplacable:
interesting
Yeah...it is!
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by chinae(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
Could it be dsame as the name Nigeria that was coined by Luggards' babe.

2 Likes

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by flyca: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
hooged:
No. This is a popular hoax on internet.

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.
I believe you more than the OP

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by lantessy(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, hello is an alteration of hallo, hollo,[4] which came from Old High German "halâ, holâ, emphatic imperative of halôn, holôn to fetch, used especially in hailing a ferryman."[5] It also connects the development of hello to the influence of an earlier form, holla, whose origin is in the French holà (roughly, 'whoa there!', from French là 'there').[6] As in addition to hello, halloo,[7] hallo, hollo, hullo and (rarely) hillo also exist as variants or related words, the word can be spelt using any of all five vowels

Source: Wikipedia

5 Likes

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by onatisi(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
All I know is that I say hello because I want to say hello

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by LEXYCOM: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
From now on, na my girlfriend name I go dey call......bilikisuuuuuuu

7 Likes

Re: Reason We All Say 'Hello' When Answering Phone Calls (Photo) by provostmk(m): 6:26pm On Nov 23, 2015
I don hear[sup][/sup]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Droid VPN: Your Questions / How To Use Airtel 2GB And 6GB 2g Network Data On 3G Network / How To Tell If This Phone Is A Refurbished Or Original London Used? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.