Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? (45450 Views)

Why Is Lagos Called " CITY OF EXCELLENCE?" / Why Is Lagos Always Like This / We Will Turn Lagos To Las Vegas –nudist Club Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by OscarJ1(m): 9:46am On May 28, 2009
abeg that name came from ''Ilesa'' jare. the city where dey eat agidi. grin
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by gReenmAn(m): 5:37pm On May 30, 2009
The name Las Giddiz has been around a loooong time.
First time I heard it should be around late eighties!

I asked this same question round about that time and got the answer;

Las Giddiz = Laz Vegas. period.

"Funkification" of the name Lagos, especially by none Lagos residents at that time, who considered
the place both mystic and notorious.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by sojchamp: 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2009
Las is derived from LAGOS and Gidi means original, genuine, authentic, flawless. i dont think we need to think too much about this! i have read comments from many contributors but there seems to be none that really came close.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by POSAKOSA1(m): 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2009
Las-Gidi

Lag= Lagos

Gidi = Agidi <someone who is strong headed>

meaning[b] its the hustling city. [/b]
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by kodewrita(m): 3:12pm On Jan 21, 2010
Its obvious you are all Upstairs children and NONE OF YOU speak yoruba.

Gidi means "Real". LasGidi would mean the "The Real Lagos".

"Gidi Gidi" is just yoruba way of putting emphasis === ("Really Really").

Someone saying "Gidi must shele" or "Gidi must happen" would mean "something cool or tight must happen".

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
The Las gidi 'conjugate' is too razz.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 07, 2010
LASGIDi,ewwww lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-Xdat sounds razz.am sure its origin is from d ghetto/gutters.2 me lagos sounds beta dan dat lasgidi given 2 lagos.at least one tin am apy bout is dat even if it is changed 2 las lagos,in all official documents in n out of d state,d name lagos is officially recognized n no one can change d name of d most populous megacity in nigeria dat has being named several centuries back.mshewwww.lasgidi ko las bumper to bumper ni.awon oloshi. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :oeko oni baje jo grin grin grin grin grin grin,o baje ti grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by shilling(f): 5:32am On Mar 13, 2010
Always wondered where the term came from . . . well, now I know.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Ivynwa(f): 11:31pm On Sep 04, 2010
I am just hearing our beloved Lagos called this name for the first time. Las Gidis m-m-m-h-h-h, it sounds so posh, it sure is the hustling city, I mean which city in the whole world comes close to the fast tempo of  Lagos?
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 13, 2011
las gidis sound somewhat español o french pero i agree with the fact that - it means city of hustling jor - that is the best i can suggest.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by amazonia(m): 2:21am On Jan 14, 2011
@ op

las-gidi, is a slang coined somewhere in the old bendel state,( Benin)
by the 1970s Disco- tech generation. They use such slangs as gidigan,(turfguys)
and ehele-men.And lasgidi. Sapelociti for sapele, Waffi for warri. etc
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by amazonia(m): 4:36am On Jan 14, 2011
Warfy Boy:

back then when i still dey warri, if we can call lagos na Las-Gidi we dey kall am, anybody wan travel kom lagos im go say, " Guy i wan Discharge enter Las-Gidi
AS
i no kno were d word for kom sha, but na warri i for am and na there we dey spik am that year

but nw me self i dey Las-gidi
@hojjima,
As a person who used that word before, i can tell you is not quite the same.
WE then in Benin, called it LASGITY. Joint abbrevation of Lagos & City. Common
among the youths and teens. Grammer school ages. And Benin was nickednamed
Baffa or City of Blood.It seems it has evolved to lasgidi, lol.

T
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by amazonia(m): 4:47am On Jan 14, 2011
@ Op,

Though there were teenage group that called themselves
Gidigans. It was an abbrevation for Ogidigan (warriors) May be
they later manipulate it to make lagos reflect themselves. Lasgidi, "the home of the warriors"
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by LasGidi1: 12:29am On Mar 07, 2011
Las Gidi is a state of mind. one has to really understand Lagos before you know what las gidi is. Its like your more conscious self, when your not sober your thoughts are more indepth and you become more conscious of your sorrunding. and when that transition comes we call it the "million dollar baby" because you get more innovative, creative positive and and everything "ive", dont mind me i think better when am not sober and right now my emotions are combling so i gotta write something very abstract but if you read between the lines i mentioned something very vital and if you spot it then you dont need anyone telling you what las gidi is cuz you know it but you dont know it!!??>>>>,

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:13am On Mar 07, 2011
^^^^^

Hemp smoker.

amazonia:

@ op

las-gidi, is a slang coined somewhere in the old bendel state,( Benin)
by the 1970s Disco- tech generation. They use such slangs as gidigan,(turfguys)
and ehele-men.And lasgidi. Sapelociti for sapele, Waffi for warri. etc

amazonia:

@ Op,

Though there were teenage group that called themselves
Gidigans. It was an abbrevation for Ogidigan (warriors) May be
they later manipulate it to make lagos reflect themselves. Lasgidi, "the home of the warriors"

amazonia:

@hojjima,
As a person who used that word before, i can tell you is not quite the same.
WE then in Benin, called it LASGITY. Joint abbrevation of Lagos & City. Common
among the youths and teens. Grammer school ages. And Benin was nickednamed
Baffa or City of Blood.It seems it has evolved to lasgidi, lol.

T

^^^
That makes sense. Interesting.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by waafarian: 10:44pm On Jun 04, 2011
The waaffi guys are correct, it came out of the warri/benin area in the late 80's
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by kodewrita(m): 11:02pm On Jun 05, 2011
^^^^yeah. create a new user id to push an erroneous opinion.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by waafarian: 11:16pm On Jun 05, 2011
You know, its really not that important. Believe what u want. Having gone to Uniben then Unilag in the late 80's I was contributing my bit to the conversation.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by teggysz(m): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2011
While the origin of the name shouldn't really matter, most people know the name Las Gidi arose from the former bendel block (Edo and Delta state presently). It is my understanding that the word 'Gidi' is a corruption of the Urhobo word 'Ogidi' which means hustle while Las in it self means city (eg Las Vegas). As we know lots of the people from Bendel traveled to Lagos to carry out their trade and in typical Bendel fashion coined the name Las Gidi for the city of Hustle. I hope this helps. cheers
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by medex(m): 2:39pm On Sep 16, 2011
It is from Las Vegas, i think. Lagos being compared to Las Vegas
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2011
Since gidi is a Yoruba word for "real"/"authentic", I think the interpretation that goes "the real Lagos" makes the most sense now, although I had gone with the Warri/Benin interpretation earlier.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by goldenoyin: 7:58am On Mar 26, 2012
For more about LAGOS: For too long a time, negativity, in its various shades, has been peddled about Lagos, Nigeria. In fact, many people have almost lost touch with the beautiful sides to the city. This is why such a magazine as Island Explorer isn’t common. Island Explorer Magazine seeks to concentrate on “the light” in Lagos, particularly the island. If you are indeed a “fan” of Lagos, you need to get a copy of the magazine. You are also enjoined to “LIKE” Island Explorer Magazine on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/islandexplorermagazine and follow them on twitter, @iexplorermag

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Moneyman101: 12:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
"Like anything historical that is undocumented, nobody can say for sure".

http://www.gidibusiness.com/2014/07/30/why-is-lagos-called-las-gidi-or-lasgidi/
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by goldenlove(m): 2:24am On Oct 17, 2015
Majek Fashek used it a long time ago in his song titled 'In a New York style'. Listen to this song. The Las Vegas origin is possible because Majek spent a lot of time there, then.
Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by bluze32(m): 6:32am On May 01, 2016
I think we should ask MAJEK FASHEK. He seems to be the creator

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? by Ninilowo(m): 7:10pm On May 01, 2016
Las Gidi Abi. Land of Agidi (strong head)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebrating Ndi-igbo / Alaafin Of Oyo Arrives Abuja Airport In Limousine (Photos) / Queen Naomi’s Alleged Separation From Ooni Of Ife Not True — Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.