Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,596 members, 7,801,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? (37812 Views)

4 Secret Ways To Survive In Lagos With A Small Salary / 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries / 5 Things You Need To Survive In The Real World As A Nigerian Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Socratez20(m): 9:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
This has been quite an enlightening thread, the contributions have been wonderful, thanks to every one, a particular question has not been answered, i guess it is an oversight or absence of contributors probably due to time constraint.
I will like to be enlightened on the roles and prospects of Mechanical Engineers in the Oil and Gas industry.

CC
Dabriggs

Madcow
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ciwi: 8:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
dabriggs:

Good morning madam,

Now about you, you fit right in the Finance and Accounts or Human Resources and Administration Departments/Divisions based on your qualification and work experience. You have the experience to work under pressure too. You already said you studied Economics and Statistics and you are chasing a professional certification in Accounting. May I suspect ACCA or ICAN? I may? Great.

In the Oil and Gas Servicing area, there are not that many finance and accounting contractors in the Industry. KPMG does a lot of work within the financial area. PWC also does a little bit in auditing and reporting. Deloitte also just stepped into the scene and they seem to be doing well.

If you can learn a lot with specifics on the oil and gas industry and its operations. It will be good. I mean what other way to focus?
Take assets and component accounting for instance. There is a lot of calculation of their depreciation, etc. Basically component accounting is troublesome. As mater of fact, I feel most Nigerian oil companies have staff that cannot do this aspect. But of course I might be sorely wrong! My thought though. And I am no genus. So I attached a PDF file from KPMG so you can understand the breadth of the matter. I hope you do love to read? I DO. A LOT.

What are your areas of interest? I mean in the oil and gas industry or generally. Also, as I did you can go look at job descriptions and what is expected of accountants/statisticians when they are required in the oil and has industry. Look for past and present job openings see them Then you can know what the requisite skill sets are and you can define a plan in acquiring them as far as possible.

The only way I can help is to give my own bit of how I think you can go about it. It is not fail proof either. God knows I will not say what I cannot do. And what I can do is information. My father does not own the Stadium, neither is the Airport my uncle's, or Apapa Port my family's. Permit my sens of humor. That is mainly for the Ibru's smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley. Another way is for you to send me your C.V. ,your email or some way to get in touch and I inform you if HEAR of an opening. But like i informed others, there is hardly any right now. The industry in Nigeria is not growing. The stagnation is world over, but worse in Nigeria. Secondly I am not in Nigeria. Completing my Msc.

So in summary:

1. Find the required skill sets for the industry core oil and gas companies or contractors
2. Check which you can get in Nigeria
3. Develop a plan of acquiring these skills
3. Acquire them
4. keep monitoring your skills

Of course you have to look for openings as you go along.

I used to be a banker. Back then the banks just merged and recapitalized. That was back in 2005-2007. Proudly ''FBNUNPAID''. Only those initiated will understand the chants of the spirits. wink wink wink wink wink. I still consider banking as my second profession. Yes I have 4 Professional areas I am qualified to work in based on my interests and skills. Teaching/Lecturing (Academics), HSE Engineering and Management, Banking and Rigging/Deck Handling on a Ship/Vessel. With regards to banking, I still go through the skills, courses, modules that were taught during the foundation training and other numerous courses attended. Also, I can still recall how to use the software, FINACLE. Maybe I might have trouble with the most recent versions. I do not know how many upgrades and migrations have been done.

Thank you so much for this. Apologies for the late response. I'm taking in all of this and gonna use it to achieve +ve results. I sent you a Pm.

Thanks again
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by TheExclusive: 2:39pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello everyone and thanks for making this thread great. Thanks to the experienced guys for the wonderful contributions.

My question is, how is job security in the oil and gas industry now particularly in oil servicing companies esp schlumberger for permanent staff. Is is advisable to pursue a career there given the oil price crisis.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2016
nedie:

What I mean is this

Is there this great discrimination between full staff and contract staff?

Yeah,there is great discrimination.3rd Party Contract Staff and Direct Hire Contract Staff are not entitled to promotion.

But as the saying goes," half bread is better than none"
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 26, 2016

I am a graduate of Uniport myself. So it means you are academically smart and street smart. Integrity and Self Reliance. No other school in Nigeria Teaches you to be this way. I consider you lucky. I think on one of my earlier posts I talked about the steps you need to take. You want to work as an Instrumentation and Control Expert. The questions are:

-WHAT IS EXPECTED OF INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL ENGINEERS?
-HOW CAN YOU GET THE RELEVANT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES?
-HOW CAN YOU GET INFORMATION ON OPENINGS OR
-HOW CAN YOU PROVIDE A SERVICE OR INVENT SOMETHING NEW?

When you know what is expected you can device a plan in doing your part and getting these things ready. I suggested the following courses earlier:

1.Electrical/Instrumentation Basic Process Controls Courses
2.Reliability/Functional Safety-SPECIFICALLY ON ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT (IEC)
3.Electrical Production Systems
4.Oil and Gas Electrical Engineering Systems (I think OPITO offers this)
5.CP especially impressed current type. But pay attention to all types- CP is cathodic protection/corrosion protection via sacrificial anode or impressed current system.

By the way, I still dream of coming back to lecture in that school someday. Even if it is on a part time basis. To teach Safety Engineering and Management using the ISO 31000, IEC 61508/61511 and NEBOSH IDP/IGC content as the foundations for the curriculum. By the time the engineering students graduate they should be ready and skilled enough to register and walk over NEBOSH exams.

I represent Unique Uniport.EEE Alumnus
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Mystic1(m): 11:18am On May 21, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Depends on what u wanna go for and what u read in school.

Engineering, if it's drilling, or producing work.

Computer science and engineering can do almost everything. They are the ones with the greatest opportunity in dis field including electrical and electronics.

If na geology, it's another good deal. Depending on what u read den I can direct u on what u can go for.
I know this is old but i very much need it now. Botany B.sc, Geology (concentrating on paleotology/paleobotany)in M.Sc. Please what are some professional courses i need?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Mrbigman1(m): 1:15pm On May 21, 2017
Mystic1:
I know this is old but i very much need it now. Botany B.sc, Geology (concentrating on paleotology/paleobotany)in M.Sc. Please what are some professional courses i need?

Ur MSc is OK, but if u can go for pore pressure prediction,stratrigraphy or sedimentation. These u must ve mastered in ur MSc but all re how to use software to pick dem out. or learn softwares like patrel
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Mystic1(m): 1:52pm On May 21, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Ur MSc is OK, but if u can go for pore pressure prediction,stratrigraphy or sedimentation. These u must ve mastered in ur MSc but all re how to use software to pick dem out. or learn softwares like patrel
Thanks very much man. Except the patrel software, what other software might i need to familiarise with? Sorry for bothering you, i just need to be ready before facing anyone.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Mrbigman1(m): 3:07pm On May 21, 2017
Mystic1:
Thanks very much man. Except the patrel software, what other software might i need to familiarise with? Sorry for bothering you, i just need to be ready before facing anyone.

Any prof course must ve a software to operate with, so u going to study dem actually going to know how to manipulate d software.

So, any of those up I told u, it's a software thing now. But patrel is the main ish.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Mystic1(m): 4:35am On May 25, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Any prof course must ve a software to operate with, so u going to study dem actually going to know how to manipulate d software.

So, any of those up I told u, it's a software thing now. But patrel is the main ish.
Thanks boss.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by shina101(m): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2019
Nice thread

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Medical Scientist Graduate Salary / How Nigerians Hustle To Put Food On The Table On A Daily Basis (video/pictures) / Widow Who Rides Keke, Becomes A Successful Entrepreneur, Inspires Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.