Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,763 members, 7,798,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job (20264 Views)

Latest National And International Jobs For Nigerian Graduates / Ontop Recession, I Land Multi National JOB Today / Can A 2.2 Graduate Get A Lecturing Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Abyam: 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2015
I'm married with 2 kids. I lost my job 3 years ago when my company was restructuring.
So I know how tough it is to be jobless especially with a family that is looking up to you for provision.

On the 15th Nov. God blessed my hustle and i got an offer from one of the high institution in my state as an assistant lecturer. I was very happy when i collected the offer, it rekindled my hope for the future because i have longed to become a lecturer since i was in school as it will give me opportunity to upgrade my certificates and to even study to Phd level with abundant of scholarships at their disposal.

But events took another turn this week when i was called by a coy i attended it's interview 2 years a go, they sent me an sms inviting me to come and meet their boss for final stage of the interview, to cut the story short....... i was offered another job with a mouth watery pay 3x the govt job, i'm to resume work on the 11th of January 2016.

My delimma now is to choose between a job with average pay(lecturing) while career growth is gradual or go for the money with opportunity to travel to other countries and a world class exposure.

Please Senior Men in the house advice me, i need the money but i'm worried because where i was working 3 yrs ago i was well paid, things were moving smoothly but when the time came to downsize, it can take anybody, matured advice gentlemen!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Paschal001: 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
Hmmm.... This is serious palaVa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by mascot87(m): 7:33pm On Nov 24, 2015
You already know the one the choose bro. Just choose it

25 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by tope24(m): 7:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
My 2 cents sir, take the multinational coy job then work at getting your Msc and PhD. This will equip you to become a better lecturer cos of the experience you will gets. Believe me if only some of our lecturers have relevant work experience in the department they function.

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
Govt job sure pass......

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by kingzx0(m): 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
U gotta make a tough decision, but I would choose multinational because of the exposure.

5 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by mayorkyzo: 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2015
If you ask me,a multinational is always better..most of them also sponsor you on programmes and courses..and of course the salary is better...

21 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by missKiffy(f): 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
Choose the multinational job, my opinion

11 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Abyam: 7:51pm On Nov 24, 2015
@ all, thanks for the advice.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Abyam: 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2015
i love the multinational job, but a tot on how i ended with my former job makes me have a rethink.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by jamanuka: 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2015
Abyam:
i love the multinational job, but a tot on how i ended with my former job makes me have a rethink.

Look at the history of this Multinational. Does it have a history of laying off staffs indiscriminately? Is there an opportunity for steady growth?

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
Praise God for you

4 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by olasquare22: 8:29pm On Nov 24, 2015
Please go for lecturing and u won't regret ur decision. U are in a position to favour security above all factors related to job. #My 2cent

3 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by GentleNaaz(m): 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
Abyam:
@ all, thanks for the advice.
If I wr u, i wl choose lecturing job.
Reasons:
1. It wl avail opportunity for acquiring knowledge/certificates.
2. U wl hv ample time to venture into any other business.
3. u will make cool cash, yes cool cash. imagine lecturing in two or three universities. imagine selling ur textbooks/handouts.
4. Job security
5. You can become Nigeria president or vice president, ask GEJ and Yemi Osinbajo

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by toofine765: 8:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
Nine years ago I had two job offers. One with a bank and another with the federal capital territory. Because the bank offered to pay more, I let go the FCDA offer. Today I am still with the bank but will do anything to go back to the Fed Govt job I once abandoned. Multinationals pay well but they come with headaches and challenges. If you ask me, please pursue your dream job and have peace of mind

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Abyam: 9:20pm On Nov 24, 2015
toofine765:
Nine years ago I had two job offers. One with a bank and another with the federal capital territory. Because the bank offered to pay more, I let go the FCDA offer. Today I am still with the bank but will do anything to go back to the Fed Govt job I once abandoned. Multinationals pay well but they come with headaches and challenges. If you ask me, please pursue your dream job and have peace of mind
but the coy is into my field of study, i would have first hand experience in my field of study.

6 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by jeebz: 9:32pm On Nov 24, 2015
I would only advise you to go after your heart. If you really have a passion to impart knowledge and conduct research, then go for the lecturing job. However, since you have about 6 weeks to decide on the multi national job, think and finally ask Baba God for guidance.

5 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
I love good worries wink

Your "decision making skills" is what is being put to a test here.

Whichever one you choose, you will at one point or the other eventually wish you had gone for the other.

But a Job in a multinational firm that pay 3x of what you'll be earning as an Assiatnt lecturer.
Ha!

16 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Abyam: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
taiwolusol:
I love good worries wink

Your "decision making skills" is what is being put to a test here.

Whichever one you choose, you will at one point or the other eventually wish you had gone for the other.

But a Job in a multinational firm that pay 3x of what you'll be earning as an Assiatnt lecturer.
Ha!

bros its has not been easy in making up my mind but i know God is in control.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by lastmessenger: 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2015
MULTINATIONAL COY ALL THE WAY

6 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Rexology: 10:29pm On Nov 24, 2015
You said you have longed to become a lecturer during your School days, so what's your problem?

"There are ways that seem right to a Man, but the end thereof is destruction"

2 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by ElDeeVee(m): 10:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
Lecturing job any day

7 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by monlawal(m): 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2015
This man knows that the multinational is better. What he is confused about is in case there is downsizing, multinationals can hire and fire anyone and he would go back to joblessness. Should he go for higher pay with uncertain future or lower pay with a protected future and robust retirement plan?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by alterswerve(m): 11:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
Lecturing job.

Reasons

1. Job security

2. Less headaches

3. So that you will give me the multinational

4. You have always wanted it

5. You'll upgrade your certs faster

6. Pension

7. If its about the pay, your salary increases with your qualifications
Just joking bout number 3, but i hope the others make sense

15 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by stinggy(m): 12:12am On Nov 25, 2015
To be sincere, I wouldn't even think it twice before I take the Multinational job, only if they are into 'hiring and firing'.

MNCs will expose you to the outside world - world of unlimited possibilities.
Fantastic pay and working conditions.
Unlimited travels for an adventurous spirit like mine.

And forget those advising you to take lecturing job because of pension. All serious organizations use PFAs these days, so pension is no issue.

25 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 1:41am On Nov 25, 2015
Hello OP,

If you take the multinational job, by April you would have earned the same as working all through 2016 as the lecturer.
Also by the end of 2016 at the multinational job, you would still need to have spent 2 more years at the Assistant Lecturing Job to earn the same cash.

From an Analytics professional point of view, I would take the multinational job anytime, but once again it all depends on you.

35 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Craven: 7:47am On Nov 25, 2015
If I understand you correctly, you are finding it difficult to choose between a job that offers good pay, lots of opportunities, and the chance to travel the world and meet new people, and a job that offers security but keeps you grounded. That isn't so hard, is it?

I have never found government jobs to be fascinating. If anything, I find them to be unadventurous and monotonous as you are going to keep doing the same thing until you've had enough. I find government jobs to be routine, and nothing bores faster than routine. But this is just me. You said you have always wanted to be a lecturer, and I feel that if it's your dream, you wouldn't find it boring.

However, a multinational job isn't such a bad thing. If it is job security you are worried about, I believe there are ways to ensure job security. Further your education, gather additional skills relevant to your work, and turn yourself into an asset; it is difficult for multinationals to lay off workers who have become assets rather than liabilities. Some multinationals will even pay for you to further your education and gain additional skills.

Government jobs might be secure; steady pay and all; but that's all you get from it. There's hardly anyone who cares if you're improving yourself or not. If there's a common characteristic among government workers, it's that some of them, if not most, are unenthusiastic about anything. As long as they're getting steady pay, they're fine. And I feel that's a boring environment to want to grow in.

But with multinationals come competition; everyone wants to be better at something. And there's no better motivation like competition; it gets you on your feet and compels you to give your all. And you will be recognized for doing so. There is also exposure and the opportunity to explore the world. And that's a great combination, don't you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the opportunity to work in a vibrant environment, improve myself, and gain exposure over anything else. Because let's be honest, that combination is what gets you places. Being grounded just keeps you in one place. And I'm not so sure I'd like to remain in one place because the pay is steady. That would be boring.

But this is just me. At the end of the day, you have to follow whatever it is you believe in, even if other people do not agree.

66 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 25, 2015
Anyone. Do gbo-gbe-ta. But give me the other.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by danduchi(m): 9:40am On Nov 25, 2015
jamanuka:

Look at the history of this Multinational. Does it have a history of laying off staffs indiscriminately? Is there an opportunity for steady growth?
True talk....I will also advice u save very well and have other source to earn money from. Working in this multinational company will give u more experience to other better companies as well
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Mckayzee(m): 10:13am On Nov 25, 2015
Craven:
If I understand you correctly, you are finding it difficult to choose between a job that offers good pay, lots of opportunities, and the chance to travel the world and meet new people, and a job that offers security but keeps you grounded. That isn't so hard, is it?

I have never found government jobs to be fascinating. If anything, I find them to be unadventurous and monotonous as you are going to keep doing the same thing until you've had enough. I find government jobs to be routine, and nothing bores faster than routine. But this is just me. You said you have always wanted to be a lecturer, and I feel that if it's your dream, you wouldn't find it boring.

However, a multinational job isn't such a bad thing. If it is job security you are worried about, I believe there are ways to ensure job security. Further your education, gather additional skills relevant to your work, and turn yourself into an asset; it is difficult for multinationals to lay off workers who have become assets rather than liabilities. Some multinationals will even pay for you to further your education and gain additional skills.

Government jobs might be secure; steady pay and all; but that's all you get from it. There's hardly anyone who cares if you're improving yourself or not. If there's a common characteristic among government workers, it's that some of them, if not most, are unenthusiastic about anything. As long as they're getting steady pay, they're fine. And I feel that's a boring environment to want to grow in.

But with multinationals come competition; everyone wants to be better at something. And there's no better motivation like competition; it gets you on your feet and compels you to give your all. And you will be recognized for doing so. There is also exposure and the opportunity to explore the world. And that's a great combination, don't you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the opportunity to work in a vibrant environment, improve myself, and gain exposure over anything else. Because let's be honest, that combination is what gets you places. Being grounded just keeps you in one place. And I'm not so sure I'd like to remain in one place because the pay is steady. That would be boring.

But this is just me. At the end of the day, you have to follow whatever it is you believe in, even if other people do not agree.
Wish I could like this comment more than once.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by veekid(m): 11:02am On Nov 25, 2015
You have the answer now; multinational lo le shey

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by looseweight: 11:02am On Nov 25, 2015
Lecturing is by passion while multinational companies is by cash..

Check my profile if you want to loose weight and belly fat

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Intercontinentalbank Is Recruting :act Fast / Dynamic Resources / After Being Humiliated In Her Former Place Of Work, She Got A Very Good Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.