Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,077 members, 7,807,225 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering (38316 Views)

Tonnes Of Mechanical Engineering Ebooks / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate / Architecture Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by moscobabs(m): 3:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
g
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by TheNextAce: 3:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
Both have specific fields they focus on. It all depends on the availability of jobs at that point in time
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
the above.courses am comfortable with,presently am in maths dept in one of the federal uni around,going to 200lvl next year,pls classify them under prospects,chances of being self employed e.t.c by the way i will be 18 next year

in terms of self employment, mech is the best. but in other aspect mathematics is the best
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by ayokunlei(m): 3:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
thankyouJesus:
I have no experience yet, let me make a call.
CC; Jarus Tanimola22 Imag Agentofchange Mathschic Scantee Dellrivers 2Sexy et al

agentofchange1
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by lonelydora: 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2016
Is your father's name Emmanuel? He asked me the same question in the offce.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 3:19pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
the above.courses am comfortable with,presently am in maths dept in one of the federal uni around,going to 200lvl next year,pls classify them under prospects,chances of being self employed e.t.c by the way i will be 18 next year

Bro don't be deceived I don't know why most of the people replying you recommend mathematics.

In Nigeria of today engineering is by far the most lucrative option. that is what the labour market wants. check any job site and see how many placements for engineering compared to mathematics. I don't know why they are not being truthful even if they love maths.

yes in advanced countries the sciences and maths leads and are a bit better but in countries like Nigeria. I will advise anybody to stufy engineering over maths.

See! what you have to ask yourself is? if I crossover to engineering will I be a first class or 2.1 graduate? if yes go for it. if no, if u see urself struggling in engineering to get a 2.2 or 3rd class then don't border.

ask yourself bro am many maths graduates do you hear of their succes story?
The ones that are whining(advising) you how many of them earn more than engineers.

Baba forget that thing. if you have the brain go for engineering.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Funjosh(m): 3:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
Cc Esanemmanuel funkystanl
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 3:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
Durentt:
those people are in d in 12th century then. Rubbish.
Even some engineering graduates are now regretting, wishing they did mathematics. Go ask any sound literate, they wud tell u to choose math over engineering.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Richiez FP please

how many of them?

where are all these so called maths graduates working in Nigeria?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by niceface(m): 3:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
Is it Mathematics Vs Mechanical Engineering or Statistics Vs Mechanical Engineering? If it's the latter, then I will gladly recommend you choose Statistics because of its numerous job opportunities especially when you have good grade. However, With Mechanical Engineering certificate, you can only work in few specific areas and you will be paid good salary.

Therefore, for regular newspaper headlines and job vacancies you can visit http://michaelsundaym..com

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
BigBen10:

Bro don't be deceived I don't know why most of the people replying you recommend mathematics.

In Nigeria of today engineering is by far the most lucrative option. that is what the labour market wants. check any job site and see how many placements for engineering compared to mathematics. I don't know why they are not being truthful even if they love maths.

yes in advanced countries the sciences and maths leads and are a bit better but in countries like Nigeria. I will advise anybody to stufy engineering over maths.

See! what you have to ask yourself is? if I crossover to engineering will I be a first class or 2.1 graduate? if yes go for it. if no, if u see urself struggling in engineering to get a 2.2 or 3rd class then don't border.

ask yourself bro am many maths graduates do you hear of their succes story?
The ones that are whining(advising) you how many of them earn more than engineers.

Baba forget that thing. if you have the brain go for engineering.
i dont want to be limited to nigeria alone.and yes can make 2.1 in mech engg
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by favoured247(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2016

5 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
niceface:
Is it Mathematics Vs Mechanical Engineering or Statistics Vs Mechanical Engineering? If it's the latter, then I will gladly recommend you choose Statistics because of its numerous job opportunities especially when you have good grade. However, With Mechanical Engineering certificate, you can only work in few specific areas and you will be paid good salary.

Therefore, for regular newspaper headlines and job vacancies you can visit http://michaelsundaym..com
.it actually a combined honors.those in UNILAG can attest.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Electronzeez(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
destino24:
Bros, goto to the jobs/vacancies right now and check. Forget the discipline, Engineering is just too broad and employers of labour know it. You're more likely to get a job with Engineering.

Entrepreneurship wise, Engineering still takes the lead.

Forget that thing wey durentt dey talk grin

But on a serious note, if you can move over to Eng, please do

You de mind the scammer grin. An engineer is more respected than a mathematician in Nigeria , its Gods doing the same way medical doctor are treated like kings and queen in camp and society .

Calculator don't kill yourself you can't change this fact , get over it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by BigBen10: 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
i dont want to be limited to nigeria alone.and yes can make 2.1 in mech engg

if your plan is to travel out immediately you finish. then mathematics is not a bad.

what do you want? to gain knowledge and know-how and then be involved with ground breaking research or to earn a fat salary.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Engrpj(m): 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Those saying Maths must be high on Ijebu weed..... how on earth can u compare Maths with Mechanical Engineering There is no where in the world a Mech Engr can't fit in.... How many Job adverts do you see are looking of BSc Maths?? Even Audit and Insurance firms now go for Engineers talk more of Oil n Gas, Manufacturing n others too numerous to mention.....

BTW: am sure most people studying Maths are there because they applied for Engineering but were not admitted, so they were thrown to maths dept.

Oya If e pain u Quote me and see.....

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by GeniusDavid(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2016
With due respect this is an insult to Mech. Engineering. Should this even be an argument?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2016
favoured247:
i wonder why in the world u will compare mathematics to engineering. mathematics is under engineering. wat kind of jobs can u apply for with a degree in mathematics?
from.my little research,u can woek as a quant,lecturer,economist,tax analyst,meteorologist,engineer e.t.c NB it mat require added qualifications
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by destino24(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2016
Electronzeez:

You de mind the scammer grin. An engineer is more respected than a mathematician in Nigeria , its Gods doing the same way medical doctor are treated like kings and queen in camp and society .

God's doing grin grin
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by calculator123(m): 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
GeniusDavid:
With do respect this is an insult to Mech. Engineering. Should this even be an argument?
pls do u mind explaining why it shouldn't
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by miqos02(m): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
hmmm
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Freciprocal: 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
GeniusDavid:
With do respect this is an insult to Mech. Mathematics is under Engineering. Should this even be an argument?

Mathematics under Engineering? shocked

The internet is ur friend.

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
BigBen10:

how many of them?

where are all these so called maths graduates working in Nigeria?
stop displaying ur ignorance on a social media lik dis. I bliv am not supposed to answer dis. Use ur leisure time nd read it up yourself
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
yesterday it was Mathematics against engineering, today it has become Maths/stats. Against Mechanical engrg. Which happens to be one of the discipline in engineering. hmmmm.......

Mathematics people i hail Oo. You guys just can't give it a rest can you??
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by mcpat(m): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
calculator123:
from.my little research,u can woek as a quant,lecturer,economist,tax analyst,meteorologist,engineer e.t.c NB it mat require added qualifications

You cannot work as an Engineer!!

If you can switch and you think you can cope , please do.

You can work anywhere with a Mechanical Engineering degree, Even in a hospital.

Cheers!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Louislewis: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
[size=16]OP, majority of those advising you to go for mathematics were those people who must have study mathematics regrettably trying to push you into their own situation. Please, advice you to go for engineering. The opportunities are much when compared with mathematics. Out of those mathematicians pushing you to the direction of mathematics, it was only few of them might have gotten the opportunities of working with that while the rest must have opted for not-well paid teaching jobs.[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Dekingmoses(m): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
math and stat of course all organization need them. even them medical line.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
Electronzeez:

oga u are lying.
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by agentofchange1(m): 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
thankyouJesus:
I have no experience yet, let me make a call.
CC; Jarus Tanimola22 Imag Agentofchange Mathschic Scantee Dellrivers 2Sexy et al

A good statistician is a good mathematician .

Statistics is a form of applied mathematics ....gat job opportunities in almost anywhere ...be it in oil companies (e.g NNPC ) , telecommunications , Large firms , industries ( Quality assurance manager ), NAFDAC., Hospitals, ....INEC, NCC, ...research centres ......I can keep listing. ...

Just make sure ur brain is burning mathematically., try master some statistical packages like..R., SAS; Spss, Minitab...e.t.c
n gat fast computational skills. ...cux..statistics is not really easy..but its interesting. . practical nd rewarding. ......" pace and prcision " is required. ...

good luck.!!

1 Like

Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
Calculator123 ur thread finally made FP cheesy u better start thankin me
Re: Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering by kfrosh: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
To be frank with you in terms of job prospect and opportunities I would take Engineering over Mathematics. Take a look @the vacancies on job sites in Nigeria and tell me which discipline is requested for the most. You hardly see a vacancy where only a Mathematics graduate is required to apply but that is the complete opposite when it comes to Engineering. An Engineer can perform the duties of a Mathematics Graduate in a work enviroment but its otherwise when it comes to Engineering jobs.
Moving forward after all said and done its your grades that matter, what you got upstairs and Luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mass Retirement Of Senior NDDC Staff Looms / Twitter Refuses To Pay African Employees, Replies With Poop Emoji / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.