Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? (37750 Views)

Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' / "The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos / What's So Bad About Using Your Left Hand To Collect Or Give Things? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Boyooosa(m): 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2015
Right shows more respect according to belief culture, english word (right, ideal, hygenic), hardworking and all whatever words you use to qualify good things - right as in right hand, while left sentimentally signifies wrong, negative, weak (as in naturally lazy than right if you use right hand that is more popular in human race), casual and all that. Generally or naturally, left hand is weak so what ever thing even outside greeting or gesture seems weak and casual. this makes it looks disrespectful or shows nonchalant (less-seriousness) attitude. Imagine giving your Boss and or your Benefactor a letter or file with left hand; number 1, it will look disrespect for our own culture, and even, amongst the whites, it will look casual most esp. if you dont use left hand naturally. believe it or not, it looks odd and disrespectful, but, mind you, you r allowed to use ur wisdom in any situation u find ur self wink

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Deejay1000(m): 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
the person above or below me can better answer the question. i am soaking granut and garri tongue

deejay1000 and originalsly over to you

google is ur friend tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by kilokeys(m): 8:55pm On Nov 24, 2015
angry angry angry
U africans have discriminated the left hand for so long..

Maybe thats why left hand slap dey pain pass grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Sirsam011: 8:56pm On Nov 24, 2015
our people has dis addage "d left hand is close to d anus" its (the lest hand) easily used for dishonourable activities. talking from igbo perspective (tradition)
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by RobinHez(m): 8:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
grin grin

damton:

I don't know if anyone would decline if I stretched a bag of Dollars with my left hand.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Boyooosa(m): 8:58pm On Nov 24, 2015
Sirsam011:
our people has dis addage "d left hand is close to d anus" its (the lest hand) easily used for dishonourable activities. talking from igbo perspective (tradition)
same hee too in Yorubaland.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Allywealth: 9:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
The left hand is attributed to filth. For instance if you must pick up something dirty, most people prefer to use their left hand Therefore it is disrespectful to give stuff with your left hand
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by pauladonis(m): 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
personally... i see nothing wrong in collecting things offered with the left hand... but i try as much as possible not to give things out with my left hand.
It is all about courtesy and respect... something the civilized people (the whites that so many people are so fond of imitating) know nothing about ...
something that we should cherish...
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by FabioPeter: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
fr3do:
The right hand is the stronger hand of most persons
Its used for the most important tasks.

Whatever, it is courtesy and we should respect it.

Respect has to be mutual, to reject anyone because he is left handed is disrespectful.
I of the opinion that cultural aspect like this one is anti-social and should be discouraged.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by ZZ22: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
mysticgal:
What of we left handed peepz, abeg joor
... Ask them oo, people down here look at me as if im alien while doing my thing with left hand
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Hojeylee100: 9:04pm On Nov 24, 2015
Hojeylee100 we all don't knw joor dats mysterious grin
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by FabioPeter: 9:04pm On Nov 24, 2015
fr3do:
The right hand is the stronger hand of most persons
Its used for the most important tasks.

Whatever, it is courtesy and we should respect it.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by free2ryhme: 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
maybe cuz the left hand is used by women to tamba undecided

Yoloba boy
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by martineverest(m): 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2015
It's our culture,pls respect it.
the Chinese slurps while eating noodles, but the Europeans see it as bad table manner. One man's meat is another 's poison

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2015
All you self-hating African idiots, you think this problem is only unique to Africans eh? I'm sure all u idiots wipe ur asses with ur right hands. mtscheew!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by akanbiaa(m): 9:09pm On Nov 24, 2015
What hand is more convenient to clean your bum bum after toilet?
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by DONOCHAS(m): 9:09pm On Nov 24, 2015
Wot of eating wit the left hand, there is a little boy in my house dat does dat the way the mother barks at him, u go tink say the boy carry last 4 class. That left hand discrimination should stop.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Hyper007(m): 9:12pm On Nov 24, 2015
It's our culture and tradition,we were inborn and grew up in it.it's not our fault that we dnt know the meaning.all i know is that its a sign of disrepect among the elders.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by misspicy(f): 9:16pm On Nov 24, 2015
Flashh:

The (op) is very hungry for answer, so I want to consult the elders.

Grandpa, I'm very sorry. embarassed

And what's "Spicy" with your moniker?
it portrays the personality behind the moniker
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by sirpnwa(m): 9:20pm On Nov 24, 2015
it is not & can never be offence. some people just follow others without knowing thier reason.(1)not to cheek hand with wemen(2)not to use left to give or take(3) not to alow woman to cross over man(4) to avoid women when seeing menses.its for those that goese to native doctor so that they will not spoil somethings for them. qoute me anywere i work with native doctor befor i come to lagoe. i am 100% sure of what am saying. so people should not do thins becouse people are doing. it just like issue of sagging.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Ayo25: 9:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
And to think no one would allow that there left hand be caught off
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by AreaFada2: 9:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
maadman:
..Africans and their beliefs.. personally, I see nothing wrong

It's culture. Every continent and country has it. It may not make scientific sense but that's it.

It's a mark of respect across many countries.

In Japan you don't give or receive with left hand either.

Kimiko Date, now Kimiko Date-Krumm, was a naturally left-handed tennis player.

Her grandmother forced her to use right.

She reached several semi-finals, including French opens & Wimbledon.

She might have done better if allowed to use her natural left hand.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by fromnigeria(m): 9:24pm On Nov 24, 2015
Theyveedo:
I bought recharge card from an elderly woman today along the street on my way back from an errand. While giving me my change, she passed it with her left hand cos right was occupied but she quickly apologised that I shouldn't be offended.

My question is; why is it offensive to give or receive with the left hand
I know it's a common thing in many cultures but I don't know the reason why.

Plz share your thoughts.
It started even before we were born. For this, the reason may not be well known.
But its disrespectful and you can even feel it when you give/receive with the left hand.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by LoveJesus87(m): 9:24pm On Nov 24, 2015
damton:

One thing I know is that in yorubaland, using your left hand to give or take anything could attract a hot back slapfrom some mothers.
Seconded. grin
damton:

One thing I know is that in yorubaland, using your left hand to give or take anything could attract a hot back slapfrom some mothers.
Seconded.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
Theyveedo:
I bought recharge card from an elderly woman today along the street on my way back from an errand. While giving me my change, she passed it with her left hand cos right was occupied but she quickly apologised that I shouldn't be offended.

My question is; why is it offensive to give or receive with the left hand
I know it's a common thing in many cultures but I don't know the reason why.

Plz share your thoughts.
because Nigeria is full of imbec1le and traditional ret@rded fools. Old men of some certain groups of culture or tribe who think trough there anus believe that if you give with a left hand, you will never receive blessing in ya life.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
It happened to me once in church. I wanted to put my offering with my left hand but d usher passing d offering basket withdrew it saying i should use my right hand instead.. I looked at her & laughed at her gullibility.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Fearcom(m): 9:28pm On Nov 24, 2015
Why not cut off your left hand if you find it offensive??
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by oluwashegunfunm(m): 9:29pm On Nov 24, 2015
I remebered one day, after a long flight , we got to the nigerian airport and the immigration is supposed to stamp us in..the woman refused to collect my passport just because I gave it to her with my left hand.. I had no choice than to give her my passport with my right hand which I normally used to clean my ass .. grin
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2015
fromnigeria:

It started even before we were born. For this, the reason may not be well known.
But its disrespectful and you can even feel it when you give/receive with the left hand.
then cut ya left hand and see!

In my culture we don't see it as anything but rather regards it as blessing.

Just only one particular tribe don't like it, and that's the Yoruba people.

Shall Yoruba like voodoo like mad so maybe left hand dey destroy there charms
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
Sirsam011:
so you don't don't wash ya left hand after toilet undecided

Silly proverb
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by obiak4(m): 9:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
Left hand is very powerful than the right hand it has spiritual effect, giving someone who is not close to you or a family member with left hand.
Left hand is the hand use to give to the gods or higher life form,
check all left handed ambitious people, they are succesful because they are easy to commune with other life form,
in many secret societies left handed girls and boys are used as mediums for the gods

left is alway and remain evil
right is alway and remain good
FYI girls that are left handed r more likely to be faithful but r very wicked if unable to channel thier life force.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state / Olori Badirat Olaitan And Her Sons Stun In New Photos / 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.