Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

You Can Learn Anything You Pour Your Heart Into (3 Lessons From Nikki Tall) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / You Can Learn Anything You Pour Your Heart Into (3 Lessons From Nikki Tall) (686 Views)

Why You Should Pour Your Juice In A Cup. / Biafra-may 30th 1967 To January 15th 1970: Did We Learn Anything From History? / Rainfall Breaks Tall Tree In Gombe. Photos updated!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Can Learn Anything You Pour Your Heart Into (3 Lessons From Nikki Tall) by cj4someone(m): 8:19am On Nov 25, 2015
Imagine a Greek guy singing Nigeria songs by different artists exactly as though he were a Nigerian (when many Nigerians can’t even do that; myself inclusive).

When I finished watching video clips of some of the Nigerian songs this Greek guy has done, I was amazed. And that got me thinking. And my conclusion is: you can learn anything you pour your heart into.

Here are some videos of this guy singing Nigerian songs…

1. Gongo so by 9ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVFPGXVte4Y

2. Double Wahala by Oritse Femi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnKGC0mtGGs

Now, a little brief about this guy—Nick tall a.k.a Oyinbo as he calls himself was born of a Greek father and a German mother. Telling his story, in one of his videos, he talked about how he met some Nigerian DJs in Germany who first played 9ice’s song, Gongo so to him in 2008.

On listening to that song, he liked it and began to collect more of other Nigerian songs. Along the line, he discovered that usually Pigeon English is used in making the songs. So he made another decision to learn pigeon English.

According to him, he said he began to make friends with Nigerians in Germany just so that they could teach him Pigeon English.

In his words, “I began to make friends by force.” Signifying how serious learning the language, which he has seen as a barrier to learning Nigerian music was to him.

To cut long story short, he eventually learnt it and now sings Nigerian songs anyhow. You can watch a couple of the videos he has done at Youtube and get inspired.

In March 2015, for the first time, he visited Nigeria and was interviewed on several Nigeria stations such as Cool Fm, Silver Bird TV and Wazobia Fm.

Some Important Lessons from the Nikki Tail story

1. The very first lesson which I have explicitly stated earlier on is the fact that just anyone can learn anything they pour their heart into.

I think I also have some similar experience to share as regards the Nikki Tall story about learning. First, like I have shared elsewhere on my blog, www.OkaforChijioke.com I grew up a ghetto boy and one of the greatest challenges I had will growing up was my ability to speak in English. I was used to pigeon instead.

But in just three (3) years after I decided to work on it, the improvement I experienced was sporadic. Today, I speak better English.

I also had a similar experience with my writing skill. I resolved to learn to write in 2004 in my year one in school. Yeah, it took me years but today, I am not just a better writer but a published author.

In a similar note, in 2007, I got interested in learning web design. And because I couldn’t afford the cost of enrolling for a web design class, I opted for learning via online tutorials. And today, I can proudly call myself a webmaster.

So dear reader, what is it that you desire to learn? Just make up your mind and go for it.

2. From Nikki Tall’s story, he noticed that not knowing Pigeon English was a barrier to understanding and singing Nigerian songs fluently, so he went about making friends with Nigerians so they could teach him pigeon.

The lesson for you (and just about anyone) is this: the moment you make up your mind to learn anything, the next step is to identify potentials resources that could be of help to you and mine them for your benefit.

In my case, while trying to improve my spoken English and writing skills I explored majorly books and studying other speakers and writers. And for my web design skill, I would always download web design videos online and follow the steps in the videos

3. It took Nikki Tall about seven (7) to be able to sing Nigerian songs fluently. So the last lesson I want you to take to heart is the fact that it takes time to acquire any skill, especially to perfection or expert level. And as a corollary to that statement, you also need to work consistently and persistently on your learning effort. Otherwise, you’ll just be engaging in what is called self-sabotage.

In conclusion, every dream comes true but that will not happen overnight. Go check out all those who are doing great in any field of life whatsoever, and you’ll find out that they have come a long way.

So, friend, sit down and learn; so long as you pour your heart into whatever it is you are learning, in the nearest future, you will proudly look back and congratulate yourself.

source: [url]http://www.okaforchijioke.com/3-lessons-from-nikki-tall-story/ [/url]

(1) (Reply)

10 Funny Picture To Rest After Daily Hustling.. / My Life: Pros And Cons Of Introversion / Senate Sets Up Committee On Missing 2016 Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.