Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! (665 Views)

What A Genius President We Have / Diezani’s 14yr-old ONLY Son Asks: Is My Mum Going To Die? As Husband Breaks Down / Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by emamos: 7:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
Since the return of democracy in 1999, Nigeria has not had a prepared president. That is a president who was willing and yearning to become president before being made or elected president; a president who has spent a lot of time thinking long and hard about what he wants to do for this country, how he wants to do it and with whom he wants to do it before being saddled with the responsibilities of a president.
Obasanjo was really not thinking of being the president before he was released from prison and asked to go to Aso Rock. Yaradua never told anyone he wanted to be president but the powers that be wanted him to be president and lo he became our president. Goodluck Jonathan in my estimation was the most unprepared of all. Infact he became everything he never said he wanted to be, from Governor to Vice President and all the way to being President.
I’m not saying they didn’t have their personal dreams and wishes for this country before they became presidents; we all have wishes and dreams for this country. But becoming a president demands a deliberate planning and a long term yearning that should allow for a well-documented articulation of such a wish and dream.
So when Buhari presented himself for the elections in 2015 for a record 4 times, I thought finally we have got a prepared man for the office of the president. I thought no man will run for the president 4 times without having a well-oiled machinery, a well-articulated vision and a well prepared team to execute the duties of the president speedily, efficiently and effectively. This supposed preparedness was Buhari’s main selling point for me.
So I was not impressed when it took months after winning the elections for the President to send the list of his ministers to the Senate. For a man who first contested for the president in 2003, such display of unpreparedness was inexcusable on any ground. I consider all those talk of the president being slow, steady and tactful as glorification of tardiness.
In the movie ‘The Meeting”, Rita Dominic said “Weekend is a long time in government.” And truly 5 months is a very long time in government. I’m still even trying to wrap my head around how a president who has 4 years to deliver his campaign promises will spend 5 months to assemble his ministers.
43-year old Justin Trudeau was elected the Prime Minister of Canada on 19 October 2015 and when he was sworn in on 4 of November 2015, less than 3 weeks after, he announced his cabinet of 15 men and 15 women. But after waiting for months what did our slow, steady and tactful president gave us? A bunch of old faces, no youth and a sprinkle of women.
I’m concerned with how tardiness has become the hall mark of governance in Nigeria and the President is taking this red tape and ‘slowness’ to new heights. Everywhere you turn you will see government officials walking around doing nothing and feeling important.
Recently, when I came back from Gabon for The New York Forum Africa I contacted a young aide to the Governor of Cross River State to tell him about an educational invention that will revolutionize the teaching and learning of Mathematics for secondary school students and how the government can acquire this for students of the state. I asked him whether I should submit a proposal for his perusal and he said he will look into it. I was dumbstruck. What is he going to look into? I have not even submitted a proposal yet.
This is over 2 months now and he has not gotten back to me with any sort of feedback. I guess he is still looking into a proposal I have not submitted. This is a young man who is barely 30 but he has already imbibed the bad habit of being slow and doing nothing to look important. And when you point this out, they will say you don’t understand how government works. But the truth is that a man who knows what he should do, what he is doing, how he should do it and with whom he should do it will certainly do it speedily.
Being slow, is very often, a symptom of internal confusion. Sadly it is only in politics that people will have the liberty of wasting time without result. No Bank Manager will spend 5 months to choose his team members. He will be fired immediately. Politicians and their praise singers are ‘forcing’ us to equate slowness with wisdom. Don’t be fooled. Let’s resist this institutionalization of attitudinal fallacy.
And this is supposed to be PDP’s fault. That’s what we keep hearing from the President and his men. The PDP destroyed the country so fast, so the President has to be slow to fix a destruction that happened so fast. PDP might be responsible for the mess in the country but certainly they are not responsible for the governance of the country today.
This is not even news. We know PDP wasted our resources, we know PDP messed our economy, we know that, we know this. That’s why we elected you to fix it. If the PDP government was good, APC wouldn’t have been elected into governance. The APC should stop telling us what we already know, fix it.
Recently the president said he will never stop talking about how PDP ruined this nation. Really? Is this another way of admitting he cannot fix it? Or maybe it is to keep this as an excuse of his inability to fix it perpetually fresh in our minds
continue reading:.
http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/exclusive-mr-president-we-who-are-about-to-die-salute-you/
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by emamos: 7:39pm On Nov 25, 2015
.read b4 u comment pls
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by pet4ril(f): 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ooooooooooooo angry ah! Too long again
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by ify84(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2015
Nigeria has entered one terrible chance
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
ify84:
I have entered one terrible chance

Fixed. Have a nice day.
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by simonlee(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
I swear I didn't read a word of your loooonnnnggg article. I just wanted to comment and gerrarahere mehn!
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by Curlieweed: 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
Please! Can Nigerians stop criticizing their President, already.

Mumuharri never promised an endless supply of fuel, ministers or any these useless things you guys keep talking about. Baba only promised to fight "Kwarauption".

As any educated person knows, when you fight a stubborn noun like "Kwarauption" (which occasionally fights back), you have to use a lot of other words; nouns, adverbs, adjectives, pronouns etc. This is exactly what our presidiot is doing. You don't need fuel, power, ministers or even an economy to fight Kwarauption, you only need brave fighting words. So please stop whining and enjoy the change.

Sai Change!
Re: Exclusive| Mr President, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You! by hahn(m): 8:29pm On Nov 25, 2015
I agree completely with the op. When are we going to get a party led and organised by the youths? After all, we can only vote for the candidates presented to us undecided

(1) (Reply)

Only Unconditional Release Of Nnamdi Kanu Will Stop Our Protests – MASSOB / Congratulations In Anticipation, Kogi Governor-Elect: James Faleke! The Annoited / A Tale Of Two Cities!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.