Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? (1111 Views)

Popularity Context:Represent Mobile Phone Brand You Are Currently Using / Tecno Should Stop Lying To Its Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 5:52am On Nov 26, 2015
Why is Android So Popular in Nigeria?

In the space of less than 5 years, the popularity of Android phones in Nigeria skyrocketed thanks to the efforts of Tecno. The campaign to turn Nigeria from a feature phone country was mainly spearheaded by Tecno with the M3 and P3 devices. Tecno made it easy to buy Android phones unlike the times when Samsung was the major distributor of Android in the Nigerian market. Then, Android was regarded as a luxury item to be used by only wealthy people.

Then came Tecno and their M3 and P3 devices. The so called luxury items could now be bought by every Tom, Dick, Harry with a few thousand Nairas to spend. Android was suddenly now available to the poor man. They no longer cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

The reason though that Android grew so much in such a short space of time was the innovative “touchscreen”. Before then, Nigerians were only used to standard feature phones such as the Nokia C3 which sported T9 buttons and a non-touch screen running the extremely outdated Java ME OS. While the rest of the world was enjoying the benefits of Android and iOS, Nigerians were stuck on Java ME unless they had excess money to splash on Samsung phones.

The advent of Tecno in Nigeria was the event that changed all that. Nigerians were being offered Android with (although low end) usable hardware for an incredibly cheap price. These new Tecno phones didn’t sport the latest SnapDragon processors or the crispiest HD screens but were nonetheless readily accepted by Nigerians. Slowly but steadily, Tecno increased their portfolio of devices to appeal to other demographics such as the gaming fanatics by producing stronger devices with beefed up specs. These devices such as the Tecno R7 were proof that you didn’t need to pay upwards of 60k NGN to get an affordable and powerful device.

With an aggressive marketing strategy, Tecno, claimed a soft spot in the heart of Nigerians who wanted something more than Java phones, but didn’t have the required funds. Lately though, it seems Tecno is slowly being dethroned by the emergence of Infinix and Innjoo. Capitalizing on Tecno’s struggle to bring Android to Nigeria, Infinix and Innjoo have cashed in on the existing Android Base cultivated by Tecno. Infinix devices have been the highest selling devices on Jumia Nigeria for the past 2 years. That speaks much for how much Android has grown in the Nigerian market. And to think that 5 years ago, Android was a luxury.
http://www.techrez.com/android-phones-in-nigeria/

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Moblord(m): 5:56am On Nov 26, 2015
We already showed appreciation by buying their products
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by kasysleek(m): 6:02am On Nov 26, 2015
That's so true bro!
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Youngpo413: 9:17am On Nov 26, 2015
YES!
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Xhaka(m): 10:47am On Nov 26, 2015
Sure, they deserve huge credit
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Misterlaby: 10:57am On Nov 26, 2015
Hmmm

Maybe or maybe not...

They did their own and left it to others to continue
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by 4peace(m): 11:24am On Nov 26, 2015
TechRez:

In the space of less than 5 years, the popularity of Android phones in Nigeria skyrocketed thanks to the efforts of Tecno. The campaign to turn Nigeria from a feature phone country was mainly spearheaded by Tecno with the M3 and P3 devices. Tecno made it easy to buy Android phones unlike the times when Samsung was the major distributor of Android in the Nigerian market. Then, Android was regarded as a luxury item to be used by only wealthy people.

Then came Tecno and their M3 and P3 devices. The so called luxury items could now be bought by every Tom, Dick, Harry with a few thousand Nairas to spend. Android was suddenly now available to the poor man. They no longer cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

The reason though that Android grew so much in such a short space of time was the innovative “touchscreen”. Before then, Nigerians were only used to standard feature phones such as the Nokia C3 which sported T9 buttons and a non-touch screen running the extremely outdated Java ME OS. While the rest of the world was enjoying the benefits of Android and iOS, Nigerians were stuck on Java ME unless they had excess money to splash on Samsung phones.

The advent of Tecno in Nigeria was the event that changed all that. Nigerians were being offered Android with (although low end) usable hardware for an incredibly cheap price. These new Tecno phones didn’t sport the latest SnapDragon processors or the crispiest HD screens but were nonetheless readily accepted by Nigerians. Slowly but steadily, Tecno increased their portfolio of devices to appeal to other demographics such as the gaming fanatics by producing stronger devices with beefed up specs. These devices such as the Tecno R7 were proof that you didn’t need to pay upwards of 60k NGN to get an affordable and powerful device.

With an aggressive marketing strategy, Tecno, claimed a soft spot in the heart of Nigerians who wanted something more than Java phones, but didn’t have the required funds. Lately though, it seems Tecno is slowly being dethroned by the emergence of Infinix and Innjoo. Capitalizing on Tecno’s struggle to bring Android to Nigeria, Infinix and Innjoo have cashed in on the existing Android Base cultivated by Tecno. Infinix devices have been the highest selling devices on Jumia Nigeria for the past 2 years. That speaks much for how much Android has grown in the Nigerian market. And to think that 5 years ago, Android was a luxury.

i tot they started with T1 and N3

Nigeria from a feature phone country bro i disagree on this
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by mosjames: 11:32am On Nov 26, 2015
If we can't thank them, then who should we thank?
Apple? That 70% of Nigerians can't afford their product
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by xtervaganza(m): 12:44pm On Nov 26, 2015
Yes, to some extent but they sold us substandard scraps as phones
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Mustiboy(m): 2:39pm On Nov 26, 2015
the revolution started with Tecno n3, mehn! I remember how stores were selling out then, the phone was a commercial success

2 Likes

Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Marvell23(m): 2:55pm On Nov 26, 2015
Tecno still maintain the highest sales in Nigeria. Infinix on the other hands is the highest seller online. Tecno phones are easily accessible on the retail market, thanks to the ever increasing Tecno retail outlets across the country. Innjoo is no where
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Orator2383: 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2015
Tecno has done really well. Thanks to them
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by parrotibaba(m): 4:37pm On Nov 26, 2015
@op some of us used Nokia phones with touch screen b4 the advent of android phones.
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by luckshine: 6:34pm On Nov 26, 2015
I think d two phone dat really sky rocket tecno to d top was tecno p5 and phantom a+, this two phone na bomb, tecno av really try sha to be fair

1 Like

Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Darkseid(m): 6:51pm On Nov 26, 2015
I remember when I bought my galaxy s1 in 2011. People dey worship me and my phone then and the way I take dey boast that time no be here. Anytime I dey play 3d games, guys go just gather open mouth dey watch me. Now Tecno don spoil everything. Tecno; you guys suck.
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 26, 2015
TechRez:

Why should we applaud them? It's just business strategy and any firm can come with same idea to sell. That they came up with such plan doesn't mean others wouldn't .just like saying We should thank glo for introducing per sec billing and etisalat for slashing call rates. Tecno only identify the opportunities that they saw in the market to sell.
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by olahero(m): 8:45pm On Nov 26, 2015
Yes, they deserve it. My first Android Experience is Tecno N3 which I bought #13500 around November ending of that year. 2012 or 13. Their first year in Nigeria.
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Xhaka(m): 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
luckshine:
I think d two phone dat really sky rocket tecno to d top was tecno p5 and phantom a+, this two phone na bomb, tecno av really try sha to be fair
That P5 na correct machine cheesy
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Kingy10: 1:25pm On Nov 27, 2015
Yh, that was why Samsung produced cheap products like grand duos
Not tecno anymore cos there actually some tecno dat Worths 70k, I think it's infinix currently
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Avero(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by Avero(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by daphid25(m): 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
They made it easy for almost everyone to own a smart phone
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by hovatek: 7:44am On Nov 28, 2015
TechRez:

You really should do your research before posting claims like these. Android was bound to be huge Globally, Tecno only joined other OEMs in porting to the winning Team. So technically speaking, Android made Tecno popular, not the other way around.
Mediatek was also another chipset that challenged the almighty Snapdragon (Mediatek still has some work to do). Mediatek was bound to be huge Globally, Tecno again ported to the winning Team. So technically speaking, Mediatek made Tecno popular.
When you mention the history of Android in Nigeria and all you mention is Samsung, it means you were'nt in the trenches. There were other brands, not just as well marketted or expensive as Samsung, most people just didn't know them. Samsung and Apple make cutting edge phones and that's a fact no geek would argue. It's when the layman comes into the equation you'll begin to consider price since they dont use most of the phones features anyway. When price becomes your standard for ranking devices then you're encouraging OEMs to cut corners; selling you crappy specs with high levels of radioactive emmissions.....but cheap...afterall, thats what 'turns you on'.
There were a lot of other debatable things you said but no time to align you on them all.

Summary: If the premise of your argument is faulty then your logic goes south with it.
Re: Tecno Should Be Thanked For Android’s Popularity In Nigeria? by mjames: 8:12am On Nov 28, 2015
Darkseid:
I remember when I bought my galaxy s1 in 2011. People dey worship me and my phone then and the way I take dey boast that time no be here. Anytime I dey play 3d games, guys go just gather open mouth dey watch me. Now Tecno don spoil everything. Tecno; you guys suck.

This is democracy for you. No more local champion

(1) (Reply)

Please Any Review On This Phone? / Itel Just Come With This Latest Device You Will Love To Have / All New MYADS With Weekly Rewards. Referral Code (myadstopup)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.