Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,514 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) (79708 Views)

2017: Six Richest Kings In Nigeria [video] / Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Mztarstrechy(m): 6:46am On Nov 26, 2015
With their brightly coloured robes, ornate thrones and legions of flunkeys attending every whim, they seem every bit the archetypal African kings. Nigeria’s traditional Monarchs may have been stripped of their powers half a century ago, but they appear to have lost little of their regal pomp and splendour as this fascinating series of portraits shows.

The photographs are provided by popular photographer George Osodi who toured Nigeria for a series of photographs entitled ‘Kings of Nigeria’.

1. Alhaji Dr Ado Abdullahi Bayero:

Posing on his ornate throne, Alhaji Dr Ado Abdullahi Bayero was the ‘Emir of Kano’, a position he held since 1963. A former ambassador to Senegal he was renowned for his abundant wealth, which has been amassed by investing in the stock market and agriculture.In one of the photos above,he was pictured out for a ride,being attended by aides as he sits on the back of his vintage Rolls Royce on his way to the Central Mosque in Kano. As a well-known and celebrated Nigerian photographer, Mr Osodi was granted rare access to the palaces and throne rooms of these hereditary rulers who now serve as living repositories of Nigeria’s enormous cultural heritage. He told Al-Jazeera: ‘There are frequent clashes among different ethnic groups… Lots of people have lost trust in their identity. I felt it was important that we see this diverse culture as a point of unity instead of seeing it as something that should divide us as a nation

2 HRM Agbogidi Obi James Ikechukwu Anyasi II,'The Obi of the Idumuje Unor kingdom’

HRM Agbogidi Obi James Ikechukwu Anyasi II, ‘The Obi of the Idumuje Unor kingdom’, was until his death, the longest reigning African Monarch. He was crowned king on October 9, 1946 at the age of 22. His robe, depicting a young Queen Elizabeth, gives a clear nod to the period of British colonial rule.

3. His Majesty, Wilson Ojakovo Oghoghovwe Oharisi III:

He was made the ‘Ovie of Ughelli’ in 1980 and ruled over the great kingdoms of Ughelli and Urhoboland for more than 33 years.

4. Alayeluwa Oba Okunade Sijuwade, the late ‘Ooni of Ife’:

Born in 1930, he has enjoyed a colourful life first working for his father’s business, then with the Nigerian Tribune newspaper, before attending Northampton College in the United Kingdom where he studied business management. In 1963 he became Sales Director of the state-owned National Motor company in the Nigerian capital Lagos. He later formed a company to distribute Soviet-built vehicles and equipment in Nigeria.He died this year.

5.His Royal Majesty Oba Oyetunji Jimoh Olanipekun Larooyell, the ‘Ataoja of Osogbo’ in southwest Nigeria:

He worked as a teacher for many years, firstly at a baptist day school. He rules over 300,000 subjects. He has studied management in London and is a qualified chartered accountant.

6.Benjamin Ikenchuku Keagborekuzi I the ‘Dein of Agbor’:

Just two years and four months after his birth in July 1977 he was crowned king following the unexpected death of his father. It meant he was the youngest king anywhere in the world. He once served as the Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, one of Nigeria’s most prestigious universities.

7. Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa I:

He was crowned ‘Oba of Benin Kingdom’ in the Edo state of Nigeria in 1979. Before that he studied at Cambridge university before being appointed to many top government posts.

8. Alhaji Abdulmumini Kabir Usman:

He is the 50th ‘Emir of Kasina’. He was coronated in 2008 five days after the death of his father, Emir Muhammad Kabir Usman. He is remembered as a peacemaker during the Nigerian civil war and has a passion for Polo.

9. His Majesty, Deinmowuru Donokoromo III, The ‘Pere of Isaba’:

He was pictured posing with his royal sceptre outside his palace. He ruled over the Kingdom of Isaba in the oil rich South-West area of Delta state since 1983.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by HungerBAD: 6:47am On Nov 26, 2015
Cool.

And the Awards goes to the Emir of Kano and the Late Ooni of Ife. They do not only look every inch a King, but their swag in the pictures makes them stand out.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by ORACLE1975(m): 6:47am On Nov 26, 2015
More pictures
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Mztarstrechy(m): 6:47am On Nov 26, 2015
More

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Mztarstrechy(m): 6:48am On Nov 26, 2015
Mztarstrechy:
More
Another pic

1 Share

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by BIDEEN: 6:49am On Nov 26, 2015
Ayaf seen it
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Misterlaby: 6:52am On Nov 26, 2015
Ayaf seen it too cry
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by MEILYN(m): 6:54am On Nov 26, 2015
Educating
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Chanchit: 6:55am On Nov 26, 2015
That second king shoe no be here o.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Pheals(f): 7:01am On Nov 26, 2015
Ok!! Ayaf seen it too

1 Like

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by NICOGRAVITY: 7:10am On Nov 26, 2015
I love royalty, it constantly reminds me of my FATHER, THE KING OF KINGS, THE KING THAT LIVES FOREVER AND IN ETERNITY, THE ONLY ONE WITH EVERLASTING KINGDOM.
JESUS IS THE KING OF KINGS. AMEN.

127 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by teeboila(m): 7:11am On Nov 26, 2015
What of Oba Olateru Olagbegi

13 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Magician1503(m): 7:17am On Nov 26, 2015
All men are not equal to a certain extent

Eleda Masun

3 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 26, 2015
Educative thread. Keep it up@OP
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by OkuDiOver1(f): 7:27am On Nov 26, 2015
what made them the richest, what criteria was used to determine their wealth?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by onojaduru: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2015
Nice write up @OP.Very educative
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by JingoOAU(m): 7:54am On Nov 26, 2015
These kings mentioned above are paupers when it comes to royal wealth(permit me to use paupers)....except Sijuwade, others are average....

2 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by tuk2ato(m): 8:43am On Nov 26, 2015
Where is Obateru Akinrintan, the richest king in Nigeria and the 2nd Richest in Africa after King Mohammed V of Morocco!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by loveuGOD: 9:13am On Nov 26, 2015
Op Get your fact right
U goofed on no 5 stop misleading people with wrong infornation.
Olanipekun Jimon is d present king. He just spent 4 to 5 years on d trone. 1976 ko 1946 ni.
He was an ordinary civil servant of a local govt with peanut salary before now.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by babdap: 9:20am On Nov 26, 2015
How will this get me petrol.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Mztarstrechy(m): 9:20am On Nov 26, 2015
loveuGOD:
Op Get your fact right
U goofed on no 5 stop misleading people with wrong infornation.
Olanipekun Jimon is d present king. He just spent 4 to 5 years on d trone. 1976 ko 1946 ni.
He was an ordinary civil servant of a local govt with peanut salary before now.
Correction made.This is an educative forum.Stand to be corrected.Beside other people may disagree with them being the richest
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by McTobe(m): 10:29am On Nov 26, 2015
Good attempt OP but u can't count kings in Nigeria and bypass the Obi of Onitsha Alfred Achebe Agbogidi. he is about the most reputable and most respected king in the Southeast. Both by education and exposure. until his coronation a member of Shell board of trustee London, present chairman of Diamond bank and an unequalled career in Shell before his retirement.his mere appearance depicts royalty, I will spare members on this thread a long story but if u click the following link u will agree with me that u can't count the first five first class traditional rulers in Nigeria without counting him. IGWE AGBOGIDI www.onitshaamericainc.org/obi.html

10 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by ERockson: 11:02am On Nov 26, 2015
This post is full of lies and far from truth

5 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by OlujobaSamuel: 11:24am On Nov 26, 2015
I think one king in ondo is the richest in Nigeria and among the first 5 in Africa or maybe world.
He owns Obat Petroleum.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by lasisi69(f): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2015
End time kings

5 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 26, 2015
Bondage
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 26, 2015
Oba Frederick Akinruntan of the Obat Oil fame too appears on the list. Ever before he became the Olugbo of Ugbo Kingdom, he has been a major force in the oil and gas sector. Oba Akinruntan is listed on the board of Guarantee Petrol and Owena Oil, owners of OML 095.

Man is a multi billionaire & still the richest king till date

3 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by trishapal(f): 11:50am On Nov 26, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:
I think one king in ondo is the richest in Nigeria and among the first 5 in Africa or maybe world.
He owns Obat Petroleum.

I agree with you, that must be Oba Akinruntan...
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by Lilimax(f): 11:50am On Nov 26, 2015
6.Benjamin Ikenchuku Keagborekuzi I the ‘Dein of Agbor’:

Just two years and four months after his birth in July 1977 he was crowned king following the unexpected death of his father. It meant he was the youngest king anywhere in the world. He once served as the Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, one of Nigeria’s most prestigious universities.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by rita25(f): 11:50am On Nov 26, 2015
and where is my fathers name on dis list? I am royalty too you know....hehehehehe grin (if I hear)

3 Likes

Re: 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) by opzy634: 11:50am On Nov 26, 2015
Obateru nko_ (Obat)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ethiopian Women Beaten Before They Marry (Photos) / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / What Island Has The Prettiest Girls In The Carribean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.