Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. (17699 Views)

Governor Ambode's Light Up Projects That Have Turned Lagos Into London(pics) / Ambode Welcomes Admission Of Lagos Into Odua Group / Only PDP Can Transform Lagos, Says Bode George (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by OneNaija(m): 6:47pm On May 25, 2009
In line with Governor Babatunde Fashola’s avowed commitment to rapid development of infrastructure, the many physical projects going on in Lagos have turned the state into a “huge construction site.”

This, according to the Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Ganiyu Johnson, was because the projects were spread across the 57 Local Government Councils and Development Areas, and were already impacting positively on the residents.

Speaking at the handing over of three roads in Lagos Mainland Local Government Council on Tuesday, Fashola commended the residents for promptly paying their taxes and showing great understanding in the relocation of structures, saying, these had helped in no small measure in the transformation efforts.

The roads, which were handed over to the community included Montgomery, Aje and Commercial Avenue in Yaba. The governor recalled with nostalgia the beauty of old Yaba, which became an attractive real estate haven and it played host to Nigeria’s emerging middle class immediately after independence.

The three roads formed the second phase of the infrastructural improvement of Yaba from Jibowu to Iddo, comprising 37 roads and six pedestrian bridges at strategic locations and divided into four phases.

Montgomery, Aje Streets and Commercial Avenue have a combined length of 1.51 kilometres and an average width of 10 metres, with the contract awarded to Messrs P. W. Nigeria Limited in February 2008.

The scope of work included relocation of telecoms, water and Power Holding Company of Nigeria services; demolition and replacement of wall fences; provision of longitudinal and transverse service ducts; and scarification and carting away of bad materials.

Others were earthworks with the use of geo-textile materials, provision of covered concrete drains and culverts to act as walkways, 100 millimetre asphalt surfacing, street lighting with alternative source of power supply and road signage/lane markings.

A day after the inauguration of the roads, it was the turn of the state Ministry of Works and Infrastructure to present its scorecard for the past two years.

Johnson, who spoke at the 2009 ministerial press briefing of the ministry said that the government had committed a total of N91.96bn to construction of new roads and rehabilitation of existing ones as well as provision of other road infrastructure in the last two years.

Out of this figure, N61.96bn was budgeted for last year, while the balance of N30bn is for the year 2009, representing a drop of over 100 per cent in budgetary allocations for road infrastructure in the current fiscal year.

However, the government had given an assurance that the cut in budgetary provisions will not affect the rate of road construction and rehabilitation currently going on in the state and the provision of other road infrastructure like drainages and street lights.

The special adviser said that the government would rely on the private sector for assistance in sustaining the current pace of road works.

He said, “It is true that there is a drop in our budget for road construction and upgrading/rehabilitation, but I can tell you that the private sector will work with us to develop some of our road infrastructure under the Public-Private Partnership model. The government does not need to carry the burden alone.”

Giving a breakdown of the budget on roads for the period under consideration, Johnson said that about N14.4bn would be on upgrading and rehabilitating of road infrastructure in 2008, while N7bn would be spent for the same purpose in 2009. A total of N47.56bn was spent on fresh construction last year, while N23bn would be spent on road construction this year.

The special adviser said that between May 2007 and now, 63 road projects covering 70.35 kilometres were awarded for rehabilitation with 19 already completed and 59 ongoing.

Similarly, a total of 111.8 kilometres of roads and bridges was constructed in the period, translating into 56 awarded projects, out of which 11 had been completed, while 74 are ongoing.

A parastatal of the ministry, the Public Works Corporation, also completed rehabilitation work on 43 roads covering 7,985 kilometres within the same period.

Apart from road infrastructure, the ministry is also transforming the state’s magistrate and high courts by building new structures and furnishing them appropriately to enhance administration of justice.

It is also redesigning, constructing and rehabilitating all public buildings to meet present day challenges and is providing mini independent power projects to have a safe city through the provision of street lights.
http://www.punchontheweb.com/Article-print2.aspx?theartic=Art200905041184095

Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Sammy107d(m): 7:52pm On May 25, 2009
is that lagos in d pic?
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:22am On May 26, 2009
Sammy107_d:

is that lagos in d pic?

The attached part of the pic seems to prove this to be Thailand!

Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by biina: 12:29am On May 26, 2009
PapaBrowne:

The attached part of the pic seems to prove this to be Thailand!
Thai Obayashi is a Thailand based construction firm. http://www.thaiobayashi.co.th/
Though that doesn't preclude the location from not being lagos, as I cant recognize any of the structures in the background
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by ikeyman00(m): 12:36am On May 26, 2009
hahhahhaha

1najia

i still de watch ooo!! that u dnt even know lagos looks like anyone

kia see how ghana don de scatter u nawoo
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:46am On May 26, 2009
biina:

Thai Obayashi is a Thailand based construction firm. http://www.thaiobayashi.co.th/
Though that doesn't preclude the location from not being lagos, as I cant recognize any of the structures in the background
The word "Thai Obayashi" is not the full reason I feel it is in Thailand.
The inscription beneath and besides the word "SAFETY" is written in Thai alphabets. That is enough reason to prove that it is a construction site in Thailand.

Pictures speak a thousand words. Using a wrong picture to support the story puts doubts in the minds of the reader as to the authenticity of the article.
"Maybe the State Government isn't transforming Lagos into a huge construction site, since there are no pictures to prove it".
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by biina: 1:07am On May 26, 2009
PapaBrowne:

The word "Thai Obayashi" is not the full reason I feel it is in Thailand.
The inscription beneath and besides the word "SAFETY" is written in Thai alphabets. That is enough reason to prove that it is a construction site in Thailand.

Pictures speak a thousand words. Using a wrong picture to support the story puts doubts in the minds of the reader as to the authenticity of the article.
"Maybe the State Government isn't transforming Lagos into a huge construction site, since there are no pictures to prove it".
I wasn't disagreeing with your deductions. Like I said, I also don't recognize the background scenery.
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by luckiest: 1:48am On May 26, 2009
the construction in lagos is biger than what i see in that pix; maybe the guy that added that pix was only using it to illustrate and not saying it is; maybe he feels lagos could be like thailand or hope to see it that way; at least those of us who live in lagos know that lagos is changing
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by OneNaija(m): 2:01pm On May 26, 2009
That is not lagos. I just am for there.
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 26, 2009
See propaganda cheesy shocked tongue
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by blacksta(m): 2:14pm On May 26, 2009
nuzo:

See propaganda cheesy shocked tongue

One Naija is the man to receive the blame - I guess knowingly or unknownly posted a wrong picture . I could not also recongise the background picture as Lagos
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 26, 2009
blacksta:

One Naija is the man to receive the blame - I guess knowingly or unknownly posted a wrong picture . I could not also recongise the background picture as Lagos

My comment was not directed at the government but at how far some nigerians can go to defend what is not real just to prove that nigeria is working.
This set of people in which onenaija belongs to are the set pulling nigeria backward.
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by OneNaija(m): 2:31pm On May 26, 2009
@nuzo Are you mad? If you are mad let me know so I will know my next attempt.What is the meaning of all this Na?Na bad thing person post something for here? Which kind Nigerians una be sef.

This is the link i find the picture.

http://happylagosian..com/
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 2:33pm On May 26, 2009
nuzo:

My comment was not directed at the government but at how far some nigerians can go to defend what is not real just to prove that nigeria is working.
This set of people in which onenaija belongs to are the set pulling nigeria backward.

Lol

@Poster, is the Lagos government really responsible for the construction work or private companies here? Is the government to be praised for private effort? What NEW policies have been introduced or re-introduced by the government here?
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Lol

@Poster, is the Lagos government really responsible for the construction work or private companies here? Is the government to be praised for private effort?

If the state government didn't create "an enabling" environment, would the private companies bother to invest/construct anything?
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On May 26, 2009
A-town:

If the state government didn't create "an enabling" environment, would the private companies bother to invest/construct anything?

Well, define "enabling" environment here. I mean has that really stopped companies from investing in lagos in the past? Lagos has most always gotten most of it's funding from investments from companies from all over the world. Even when things were bad, lagos still attracted lots of companies, so I am not sure how this is to be treated as something "new".
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by asha80(m): 9:36pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, define "enabling" environment here. I mean has that really stopped companies from investing in lagos in the past? Lagos has most always gotten most of it's funding from investments from companies from all over the world. Even when things were bad, lagos still attracted lots of companies, so I am not sure how this is to be treated as something "new".

Why are companies not investing in abia state?
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 9:40pm On May 26, 2009
asha 80:

Why are companies not investing in abia state?

Well, historically, we all know that companies have mostly favoured Lagos to Abia. Lagos seems to remain the centre of commerce in the country as a whole, and remained that way even under dictatorial rule. Not a new phenom, really!
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by MrCrackles(m): 9:47pm On May 26, 2009
Poster

You have major issues!
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I knew you would respond immediately. You don't always have to be right. Take a chill pill. Go grab some mickidies or sumthin.

"Enabling" environment includes :
Clean environment
Improved transport system. BRT etc. 2000 corporate taxi cabs were recently commissioned to ease transport.
Better roads
Computerisation of vehicle registration, tax payments blah blah blah. All these things have brought more people in
Of course there will always be people that will come into lagos no matter what. (too much money to be made)
The fact is that the new lagos is gradually becoming an investment haven and tourist destination.
The number of international hotels billed to be commissioned by year end justifies that.
Visit Skyscrappercity.com if you need visual proof
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by sleekp1: 10:12pm On May 26, 2009
A-town:

I knew you would respond immediately. You don't always have to be right. Take a chill pill. Go grab some mickidies or sumthin.

Clean environment
Improved transport system. BRT etc. 2000 corporate taxi cabs were recently commissioned to ease transport.
Better roads
Computerisation of vehicle registration, tax payments blah blah blah. All these things have brought more people in
Of course there will always be people that will come into lagos no matter what. (too much money to be made)
The fact is that the new lagos is gradually becoming an investment haven and tourist destination.
The number of international hotels billed to be commissioned by year end justifies that.

@A-town

Ssh!! Please never post any good news from Nigeria, it makes some Nigerians feel real bad. On a Nigerian forum Nigerians are scared of saying anything positive about the nation in case it irks Kobojunkie etc. You couldn't make it up.
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On May 26, 2009
A-town:

Clean environment
Better roads

Responding immediately means I am right? I am online . . . Should I not respond then?

Anyways, back to the topic. The poster posted information and I wanted to make sure this is not to claim that all new investments in Lagos are government MOTIVATED as I know for a fact that is not the case. Nothing wrong with making sure that we put things in perspective, but then again, if you want to assume I have some sort of gripe against the man or " KOBOJUNKIE HATE DEVELOPMENT OF ANY KIND SINCE KOBOJUNKIE DOES NOT AGREE WITH ME" Or the "EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT AGREE WITH ME IS ANTI-DEVELOPMENT BECAUSE I WANT TO BE WORSHIPPED BY KOBOJUNKIE" as some imbeciles have chosen to believe, be my guest!!!  grin
Re: State Govt To Transform Lagos Into Huge Construction Site. by strangleyo: 10:21pm On May 26, 2009
Fashola, the only governor with a brain?

"Mr." Fashole, the only governor that does not obsess over his title.

The pic is Thailand though, but under Fashola Lagos has been developing head and shoulders over other parts of the country.

(1) (Reply)

APC Congratulates Nigerians On Registration / Stone Us If Buhari Fails To Deliver On Electoral Promises – Momoh / Lagos Launches Online Platform To Interact With Citizens (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.