Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,167 members, 7,807,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) (1043 Views)

Passengers Caught Having Sex In A Plane (photos) / Passengers Evacuates Through The Emergency Door To The Wings Of A Plane(Photos) / "Life Is Too Short"; Birthday Girl Who Survived Tragic Motor Accident Says. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by noetic5: 10:27am On Nov 26, 2015
An Ethopian man has built his own plane after he was told he couldn't be a pilot because he was too short.Asmelash Zeferu did not want to let being too short stop him from flying a plane,so this weekend, the 35-year-old, plans to take his handcrafted K-570 light aeroplane to the air near the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa and marry his fiancé Seble Bekele when he lands.

He has never flown before and he hopes the attempt will be more successful than five months ago when a broken propeller thwarted his dream.He learnt every aspect for aircraft manufacture from YouTube videos and tutorials.

15 years ago when he tried to enrol at the Dire Dawa branch of the Ethiopian Airlines Aviation Academy. He was rejected, because at 1m 70cm (5ft 7ins) he was 1cm too short.

He told CNN
'I decided to build my own aircraft if I couldn't be a pilot. Then I'd be able to fly high in the sky,'

Five months ago, he failed to take-off in his machine,on November 28, Zeferu will return to the same air field and rev his newly-modified machine.

Taking off at 90 mph, he will aim to reach an altitude of 10 meters which is not no mean feat considering he has 'no parachute or anything to protect me.'To fly an aircraft is not a big deal,' he explains.The greatest danger will be in landing.'

Despite support from his family, he says:
'the biggest challenge in building my aircraft was the people around me... people calling me mad. People were asking 'How can you build an aircraft in Ethiopia? In Africa?'''My dream is to become an aerospace engineer at NASA. And I will be,'

Source: http://www.latestamebonaija.com/2015/11/ethiopian-man-told-he-was-too-short-to.html

Cc; lalasticlala

Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by noetic5: 10:28am On Nov 26, 2015
Good coming from Africa
Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by menix(m): 10:34am On Nov 26, 2015
Africans with their backwardness, why not support the guy until he kills himself..

End Time Surveillance aeroplane..
Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by chidekings(m): 11:17am On Nov 26, 2015
menix:
Africans with their backwardness, why not support the guy until he kills himself..

End Time Surveillance aeroplane..

What do u want people to support there.death just dey hungry this guy immediately he took off on that death bed called aircraft abi na woodcraft

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by Lilimax(f): 12:05pm On Nov 26, 2015
Determination is the key to success.
I know that one day, this young man will succeed
Mark my words!smiley

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by symbianDON(m): 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
Lilimax:
Mark my words!smiley
grin grin grin grin grin will succeed after he has murdered himself in that contraption of his abi??
Re: Ethiopian Man Told He Was Too Short To Be Pilot Builds Own Plane (photos) by esosuo: 5:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
Lilimax:
Mark my words!smiley
Women telling men lies that can kill for a long time ,babe tell dis guy it wud be sucidal if he attemps to carry dat tin reach airport cant see any determination in killing ones self

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Horrific Photos Of African Migrants Boat Capsized On The Sea / Help Looking For Work In Ireland. / Photo Of One Of The ABSU Students Involved In A Ghastly Accident Today At Ore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.