Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention (9728 Views)

Nigerian Scientists Prove Efficacy Of Nano-medicine In HIV/AIDS Cure / Nigerian Scientists Prove Efficacy Of Nano-medicine In HIV/AIDS Cure(thisday) / Young People Must Remain Virgins Until Marriage – Ayade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by chibuzor05(m): 1:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
One of the greatest problems fuelling the spread of HIV, in Nigeria, Africa and most developing countries of the world is ignorance. Many Nigerians, especially the youth, do not have adequate information on HIV&AIDS. Worse still, young people are not encouraged to seek information on HIV especially from adults who may be judgmental and discriminatory. Therefore, to effectively reduce HIV infection, we need to involve young people as agents of behaviour change to reduce risky sexual behaviours like unprotected sex and having multiple sexual partners. Hence, the role of young people in HIV prevention should be greatly encouraged in such affected countries, like the saying goes "there is no knowledge that is not power".

Role of young people in HIV prevention
There are numerous roles young people can play in the prevention of the spread of HIV, we shall be looking at some of them. Young people can contribute as:

a. Peer educators
b. Peer councillors
c. Change agents
d. Assets to their family and community
e. Providers/Linkages for HIV Counselling & Testing (HCT) and Home-based care

a. Peer educators
Young people, who are trained as peer educators, have developed the skills required to provide accurate information to their peers. Accurate information and not just mere myths and misconceptions is greatly needed to curb the spread of HIV, telling them what they should know based on scientific proofs and backgrounds and not what they think is of great importance. And such information can only be spread by trained peer educators.

c. As Peer Counsellor
Young people, who are trained as counsellors, can assist their peers and community members with counselling when required. They can encourage them to go for HCT (HIV counselling and testing). HCT is the entry point to all HIV prevention and care program, it is after knowing your HIV status you will know the next step and decision to take.

b. Change Agents
An informed youth can be a change agent by providing his/her peers with adequate information on HIV and discouraging risky sexual behaviour. Behavioural change (from bad to good) is the aim, and not just mere sayings without positive actions.

d. As Asset to the Family and Community
An informed youth can serve as an asset to their family and community by educating them about HIV & AIDS. And such family/community will be proud of having an informed youth amidst them.

e. Providers/Linkages for HIV Counselling & Testing (HCT) and Home-based care
A well informed young person can encourage people to go for HCT, as well provide home based care for PLHIV (People living with HIV).

Summary
Adolescents and young people constitute a large portion of Nigeria’s population and most countries of the world. They are the most important group in a society and they are a country’s most valuable assets. The period of adolescence is of great consequence in an individual’s life, it should be handled with care. Although young people are one of the most vulnerable groups to HIV infection, they have the potential to act as agents for behaviour change amongst their peers.

Source: http://enhancedfact..com.ng/2015/11/the-role-of-young-people-in-hiv.html

7 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by dominique(f): 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
Sadly most youths think with their hormones at that stage.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
I don't think we still have young people in this country. Suffering don give us all grey hair by force...everyone don old under 6 months of APC military rule. So go outside naija go look for youths.

13 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by lasisi69(f): 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
Okay... Seen.... End time post

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by money121(m): 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2015
angry angry
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by TimothyNkenu: 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
As long as people like Nicki Minaj and Kim Kardashian remain the standard for 'beauty', sex, and subsequently HIV, has come to stay.
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by costandi(m): 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
OP you just dey write OP - Tautology!

All your points are saying the same thing!

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
chibuzor05:
One of the greatest problems fuelling the spread of HIV, in Nigeria, Africa and most developing countries of the world is ignorance.

I don't think it is Ignorance but refusal to adhere to the various preventive measures.
Even in Schools, the topic (HIV/AIDS) has been included in the curriculum of some
subjects.

Just my opinion, didn't condemn your view

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by money121(m): 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
lasisi69:
Okay... Seen.... End time post

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by meritamarachi(f): 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2015
Thanks for the information.
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Akbee(m): 2:34pm On Nov 26, 2015
My name na Akbee, i dey CHANGE AGENT
Broda and sister,
Mama and papa
HIV DEY FOR TOWN E DEY KILL WELL WELL
DRUGS DEY SHAY BUT REMEMBER SAY PREVENTION BETTER PAST CURE
IF U NO FIT LOCK YOUR BODY WITH PADLOCK ABEG TRY TO DEY USE RAINCOAT.
IF U USE CONDOM U GO LAST WELLA
I NO SAY E NO TOO SWEET TO USE condom BUT BODY TO BODY NO DEY LAST BUT E FIT MK U GET HIV

3 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by coldgate(f): 2:35pm On Nov 26, 2015
Very useful post. We need to educate our brothers and sisters, friends and colleagues. Aids is real. Prevention is better than sorry.

4 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by dorcaspedia(f): 2:39pm On Nov 26, 2015
In view of this, there will be free HIV testing and Counseling at 81 Division Hospital In Lagos on the 1st of December.

3 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 26, 2015
okay.
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Lucialovely(f): 2:46pm On Nov 26, 2015
nnafather:
I don't think we still have young people in this country. Suffering don give us all grey hair by force...everyone don old under 6 months of APC military rule. So go outside naija go look for youths.
grin grin grin
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by mbulela: 2:48pm On Nov 26, 2015
dominique:
Sadly most youths think with their hormones at that stage.
even adults are thinking with their hormones.
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
HIV is real! I have been opportuned to carry out several assignments for NACA on areas of HCT, PMTCT and ART. During the course of carrying out these duties, I have met very handsome men and stunningly beautiful women who are HIV+. The burden on some states like Benue, Rivers, FCT & Akwa-Ibom are particularly worrisome.

We must learn to protect ourselves at all times or stay faithful to one uninfected partner. The best being to abstain until marriage. I'll be starting a project on 'HIV prevention amongst Nigerian youths' early next year.

5 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by DOCTORDONE: 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
This topic won't make a pleasurable reading for the youth. They prefer to hear ' WIZKID, DAVIDO, PHYNO' etc. I don't know the type of youths we have these days.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by alphaconde(m): 2:51pm On Nov 26, 2015
One fact about HIV, we may not be able to cure HIV but we can stop the spread. Knowing your status is key.

Although its been 3 years now I got tested.
Homekits for testing should be made cheaper and easier to get.

I have imagine going into a relationship with a new girl how do I find the impetus to demand her status. If these kits are available your can easily talk pple into getting tested.

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by alphaconde(m): 2:57pm On Nov 26, 2015
DOCTORDONE:
This topic won't make a pleasurable reading for the youth. They prefer to hear ' WIZKID, DAVIDO, PHYNO' etc. I don't know the type of youths we have these days.

And how celebrities step out unclad. The moderators must be blamed

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by alphaconde(m): 2:58pm On Nov 26, 2015
Did anyone notice that there is no space booking on this thread. No one wants to talk about HIV. The babalawa thread is running into pages
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by topearos(m): 3:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
Konji self na issue.
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by viviangist2: 3:14pm On Nov 26, 2015
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by ShakurM(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
mehnn! And fear dey catch me slowly
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by agrovick(m): 3:48pm On Nov 26, 2015
I thought there was a claim sometime ago about discovering a cure for the virus?
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
Okk
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by GhanasexWorker: 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2015
I don't like Condoms. Free me I beg. Raw is de Best
Re: The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention by lovedh7: 4:27pm On Nov 26, 2015
best and greatest thing is to keep your virginity till you are married. obey God you will happy, disobey God you will cry.say no to demons and live long

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Tommy Is Growing Bigger / After Shave Rashes/bumps / AfDB Backs Nigeria’s COVID-19 Response Program With $288 Milion Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.