Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,126 members, 7,807,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand (972 Views)

4 Lifesaving Tips For Texting-walking / Texpand – Text Shortcuts: Shortcut Words For Texting, Latest Apk For Download / Seven (7) Texting Etiquette Never To Forget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 26, 2015
There was a time when shorthand for texting and messaging was necessary. Before smartphones, everyone had a phone with a T9 dial pad. For our younger readers, T9 is short for "text on 9 keys," meaning each number on the dial pad represented 3 letters. Press the number once to select the first letter, twice for the second letter, etcetera. Texting took a long time and every letter counted so shorthand was born out of necessity.

Today, most smartphones feature great keyboards that offer predictive typing. Predictive typing has become so good that there really isn't any benefit or time saved by typing in shorthand. Still, I see many Twitter updates, Facebook posts, and Instagram messages typed out in shorthand. Why?

Phones are now smart enough to auto correct to natural language, saving you as much time as typing shorthand. Take a look at iPhone keyboard. If you type without looking at exactly where the keys are, chances are the keyboard can still accurately decipher what you're trying to say. The iPhone keyboard can even expand custom shortcuts. For example, you can type "bts" and the keyboard will expand that to "Be there soon!" With text expansion, you can still type shorthand if you want but we don't have to see it.

Android has even more flexibility by allowing users to download alternative keyboards. Swiftkey is a great Android keyboard replacement that analyzes email messages, Facebook updates, and Twitter messages to learn how you type and the language you use. Swiftkey will even learn your slang if you type it repeatedly and will suggest it in the future. You can type out entire sentences just by using Swiftkey's predictions. Swype is also a great alternative keyboard for Android for gesture typing.

Some may argue that typing shorthand is necessary for fitting a message in the 140 or 160 character limitation for Twitter messages and texting. While this may be true, texting itself is becoming less and less popular with apps like Facebook Messenger, Viber, Whatsapp, and Apple's iMessage. These apps don't have any character limitations and offer more features and flexibility than texting. Texting plans are a huge ripoff and customers have taken notice by adopting these texting replacement apps.

Above all, typing in shorthand makes you look lazy. Truncating an already short message with shorthand makes messages feel impersonal and rushed. Sure, it's understandable if you replace "OK" with "K" or use common phrases like "brb" and "lol" for quick messages and to convey emotion; but typing entire messages in abbreviations just looks sloppy and unintelligent.

http://m.en.softonic.com/features/opinion-stop-texting-in-shorthand

cc lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Solidkay(m): 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2015
Op pls pray for d spirit of summary nxt time.
Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by samsard(m): 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2015
Most times, I just scroll past messages typed fully in shorthand.
Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2015
I hereby make a very outrageous statement. one which i think is true.

people who type in shorthand, are often unintelligent and feeble minded.

my reason for this theory is this.

for you to type in shorthand, you need to be thinking in terms of the sound of the word. instead of the actual spelling of the word. now, if you watch a lot of movies, this will be quite easy for you. because all they do is talk. so you know how the word sounds.

however, if you read a lot, you tend to start thinking of words in terms of how they are spelt. and so, if you shorten words, it just looks weird to you. i usually find it difficult to read shortened words because I'm used to actually recognizing spelling patterns as words, and not how the word would sound. so I'm then stuck with words I've never seen before in my life, and which i don't know how they sound. sometimes i have to read the jumbled thing aloud before i can guess what the writer is saying.

but hey, you're welcome to counter my arguments. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
Teempakguy:

for you to type in shorthand, you need to be thinking in terms of the sound of the word. instead of the actual spelling of the word. now, if you watch a lot of movies, this will be quite easy for you. because all they do is talk. so you know how the word sounds.

however, if you read a lot, you tend to start thinking of words in terms of how they are spelt. and so, if you shorten words, it just looks weird to you. i usually find it difficult to read shortened words because I'm used to actually recognizing spelling patterns as words, and not how the word would sound. so I'm then stuck with words I've never seen before in my life, and which i don't know how they sound. sometimes i have to read the jumbled thing aloud before i can guess what the writer is saying.

Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Dekatron(m): 10:57pm On Nov 26, 2015
Well, since I started using an onscreen QWERTY keyboard, I have reduced the number of shorthand I use. . . . I use sometimes, but HIGHLY NEGLIGIBLE.

E.g :- U instead of YOU, because I have to reply my GF ( grin grin) before mom gets to me. . . So, I improvise. Stuffs like that. . In all, its really cool type full- word completion, dictionary, word prediction . . . COOL!!
Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 27, 2015
Teempakguy:

GBAM!!! You just said what I would have said.
Better to not reply than potray yourself as lazy and unintelligent. undecidedgrin
Re: Stop Texting And Chatting In Shorthand by plumule(m): 4:30pm On Nov 28, 2015
Teempakguy:

i love you and the way you reason. I only did that when am into 2go; but now things has change i don't even chat with shorten words at all

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Trustworthy & Advanced Email Backup Toolkit / Best Download OST To PST Converter Software / Cut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.