Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) (15746 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 10:37pm On Nov 26, 2015
The work is still exclusively dedicated to Mr Ola Adepegba (Simonhabby) - The author of the brilliant 'Many Shockers for Miss Lucas'.

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 10:44pm On Nov 26, 2015
Title: An Ace for Oscar
Genre: Crime
Number of words: 6,000
Writer: Larry Sun

"I have a terrible news for you, Mr Oscar DaSilva." The interviewer said cruelly. He was tall and dark. He was solidly constructed. His neck, shoulders, arms and chest were thick with muscles, powerful. The muscles could have been gotten only from years of weightlifting. He could as well have subbed for Samson, pulling down pillars and collapsing roofs upon the Philistines. He was wearing a white shirt; the sleeves were rolled up, and his forearms were matted with hair. He had a moustache that looked as if it was drawn on his upper lip with an eyebrow pencil. His eyes were probing from behind the horn-rimmed glasses he strapped on his face. It was with these vicious eyes that he was drilling an imaginary hole into my skull; he seemed to be peering into my soul and discovering my innermost secret. But, judging from the significance of his statement and stare, he must have truly discovered one of my secrets—a secret as shameful as masturbation.

"What bad news?" Although I had suspected what the news was going to be, I still expected—even prayed—that the news was something far different from what I was thinking. Anything but what I feared. It would even be a relief if the 'bad news' was the rejection of my application. Deep down in my mind, I knew that I was in a serious trouble. The man smiled and the smile scared the bejezuz out of me. The smile was evil. Malevolent. It was like a snake smiling at you; such smile would not be assuring.

"What bad news?" I asked again. I could feel the trickle of warm sweat travel down my spine. The office was well-ventilated; there was a working air-conditioner and another big standing fan turned its neck to-and-fro close-by, but they did little to dry my perspiration.

The man could see the fear on my face, and I could tell that he was glad with what he saw. He took pleasure in seeing the horror plastered on my face. His face twisted into a smile and it was like the grin of a skull.

Smacking his lips, the interviewer said, "The bad news is that you're going to jail, Mr DaSilva."

"What!" My incredulity could not be contained.

"Yes, young man. You will be spending fifteen years of your life behind bars. Did you honestly think we would not know that you forged the results? Forgery is a very grave crime in this country."

"I can explain everything—"

"There is nothing to explain, Mr DaSilva."

"If you would listen to me, I—"

"Like I said, you've got no excuse. You are a criminal, and you should be ready to face the consequence of your criminal acts. You are going to jail. All I have to do is call the police."

I was surprised to hear that he hadn't already called the police. Mr Dada wasn't someone who would hesitate to put another person in trouble. Surely, there was a reason behind his delay to make the call.

"Why haven't you called the police?"

"I don't want you to go to jail."

The biggest lie of the century.

"I'm sure you won't mind committing a little crime to keep yourself from being imprisoned." Added Dada.

"How do you mean, sir?"

He shifted his huge bulk in the chair and said, "Be smart, Oscar. I have a little proposal for you. You can't expect me to turn a blind eye at your crime for nothing. You've got to do something for me. It's a little dirty. I don't think you're in much position to refuse; except, of course, if you would rather be in jail for forgery of results and certificates. I've got some people who would gladly drag you to court."

My sweat still refused to dry up. That expression 'It's a little dirty' seemed very ironical. With a shaky voice, I asked, "What do you need me to do, sir?"

The evil smile came again. "We're kidnapping the Managing Director's daughter."

*****************************************************************************************

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by kingphilip(m): 6:03am On Nov 27, 2015
Following

So nice a start
Carry on boss

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
kingphilip:
Following
So nice a start Carry on boss
And the King appears! You are welcome, your highness!

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2015
Removed

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 10:00am On Nov 28, 2015
Removed

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 9:19pm On Nov 28, 2015
Removed

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Deluxewize(m): 11:14am On Nov 29, 2015
Please don't stop
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2015
Removed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
Removed

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by kingphilip(m): 7:27pm On Dec 01, 2015
That's y it's good to have a very clean record that no one will pin something on you to force you do things that you don't want to do on a good day

Nice one boss.. I'll remain here till I see the end

3 Likes

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 8:09pm On Dec 01, 2015
Removed

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by kingphilip(m): 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2015
His delay caused everything I guess maybe as Mr Dada never heard from him he thought something funny had happened and had to escape

Meanwhile something deep inside me tells me that's just a dream

Nice one Larry it's actually in you
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 8:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
Removed

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
Removed

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by plainmirror(m): 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
Breathtaking

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 6:28pm On Dec 16, 2015
plainmirror:
Breathtaking
Thank you, sir.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 18, 2015
This is a masterpiece.. Thrilling, i must say
lalasticlala, check this awt
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 10:54am On Dec 19, 2015
viickerz:
This is a masterpiece.. Thrilling, i must say

lalasticlala, check this awt
Thanks a bunch, sir. I'm glad you liked it.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 19, 2015
LarrySun:
Thanks a bunch, sir. I'm glad you liked it.
yh, i kinda like your short brief stories than the long ones..

If i may recall, arent you the one that wrote 'The nemesis of daddy' ?
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 11:43am On Dec 19, 2015
viickerz:

yh, i kinda like your short brief stories than the long ones..

If i may recall, arent you the one that wrote 'The nemesis of daddy' ?
Lol! Yes, I wrote 'The Nemesis of Daddy'.

Have you read any of my long stories?
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 19, 2015
LarrySun:
Lol! Yes, I wrote 'The Nemesis of Daddy'.
Have you read any of my long stories?
yh.. Brand of cain . in my opinion, ur short stories are better..
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by nerdfrost(m): 4:30pm On Dec 19, 2015
Boss I'm so engrossed in this masterpiece grin drop more abeg

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
Larrysun again!.i can neva forget the brand of cain...U d best.solidly following.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by drippingink3: 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2015
E Don Finish?
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by darkid1(m): 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2015
Larry please dont do this to us now... Come and finish, especially that Black Maria...#LarryIsTheBest
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by hustler86(m): 1:26pm On Dec 29, 2015
Larrysun, I guess this is just the beginning? Don't just end that story like a Nollywood movie pls, smiley nice piece bro.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by zikmarty: 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
nice piece larrysun
but there are some strings you could've knotted better like why did Anastasia betray Dada?
you can add a twist that she discovered he was cheating on her with a secret lover whom he genuinely love and was just using Anastasia like every other pawn piece and blablablaaaa....just my little cent tho wink

keep the fire burning.

1 Like

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by LarrySun(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
zikmarty:
nice piece larrysun
but there are some strings you could've knotted better like why did Anastasia betray Dada?
you can add a twist that she discovered he was cheating on her with a secret lover whom he genuinely love and was just using Anastasia like every other pawn piece and blablablaaaa....just my little cent tho wink

keep the fire burning.
Both Oscar and Dada were only pawns in Anastasia's scheme. She never loved Dada, she just used him to use Oscar. And when he was no more needed, she killed him. Dada was just as expendable as Oscar.

Forgive the loose strings though. My number of words was restricted when I was writing it for competition.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by zikmarty: 8:53am On Dec 31, 2015
LarrySun:
Both Oscar and Dada were only pawns in Anastasia's scheme. She never loved Dada, she just used him to use Oscar. And when he was no more needed, she killed him. Dada was just as expendable as Oscar.

Forgive the loose strings though. My number of words was restricted when I was writing it for competition.

oh okay,I see clearly from your angle. I thought she was genuinely in love with dada but just loved money more cheesy

I understand how those competitions make one manage words like one trying to spend his last #500 for 2weeks grin . I've entered for a few competitions recently though yet to win any, I kinda understand you.

nice work and unique style.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Richie0974: 9:58am On Dec 31, 2015
Wow, I love the write up. Thumbs up Bro.
Re: An Ace For Oscar (A Short Story) by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 31, 2015
I'm shy of getting into 2016, it is my first time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate / A Game Of Love And Obsession / Chimamanda Adichie At Johns Hopkins University For African Conference (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.