Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,661 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. (20383 Views)

Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee / Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees / Some Thoughts For People Lost In Their Circumstances And See No Way Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 27, 2015
rallymento:
you ministered to a lost soul.... thanks bruv!

God bless you too. We won't give up. We won't give in. We must win.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by miqos02(m): 11:18am On Nov 27, 2015
viktor01:
A for rapple.
olodo

simple english you cannot "spoke"

1 Like

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 27, 2015
ogaofficer:
Wow! I love this. Another piece of motivation.

Thanks brother. Thanks for commenting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by stonecoldcafe: 11:19am On Nov 27, 2015
@dearpreye, God bless you for this timely message.
PS: hope your job was not affected?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Life indeed goes on. That's the spirit.
yeah! And let encourage others who are about to give in.

We need each others to stand on our feet again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 27, 2015
Etizz:
To be frank, if I tell u what I have passed through eh, na only u for say say why I never commit suicide since. ... What am trying to tell you is dat, when I was in big deep chaos, (can't go in details) I was having high blood pressure though but the last thing dat came on my mind was to kill myself...... Furthermore, it takes your way of handling issues and self comfort to overcome suicidal. .... In other words, I see no reason why anyone on earth should commit suicide....

Make I beg u well well....

No matter how frustrating u may be,.....

The last thing u should not think of is suicide......

Thank you......

Hahaha. I wont. Life's still good no matter what.
sonofananimal:
yeah! And let encourage others who are about to give in.

We need each others to stand on our feet again.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 27, 2015
stonecoldcafe:
@dearpreye, God bless you for this timely message.

PS: hope your job was not affected?

Not at all. That would have meant disaster. Hahha.

Thanks for commenting. God bless.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 27, 2015
prudentsea:
Wow. Pressure kills. Being in such shoe ones, it hurt and killing. The best is just to take it lighter than a joke. That is the only way to survive. RIP to the fallen student.

Dear, it kills. It appeared my windpipe was going to break.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by okeyngene1: 11:22am On Nov 27, 2015
Am passing true some kinda depression as am typing rit now, but reading ur post juts revived,gave me hope 4 a beta 2moro. Ur post isn't 4 everybody, its for someone passing true such a terrible situation who sees suicide as d best option. No mata hw good nd encouraging ur post is,some fools must discredit ur effort

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by noblegrex: 11:23am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:
I'm sharing this message due to a thread I read last night where it was reported a Nigerian higher Institution student committed suicide after being allegedly told to repeat a year by the school authorities. As the manner is with most Nigerians, the victim was lampooned and mocked by most commenters on the thread, even when they didn't travel in the victim's shoes. Only a few could even type the now-redundant RIP. I pray his soul rest in peace.

I've got a somewhat similar experience though I didn't go the extra mile the Nigerian student went. I was withdrawn from my normal shift duty to cover a new project that will require my being on permanent duty for over 3 weeks. I was mandated to draw the HSE plan for the project, conduct safety talks at appropriate intervals and give situation report to my department on a daily basis. On this terrible day, I had gone to the job site even before the contractors had shown up. It was a Tuesday- a black one for that matter.

When I arrived the site and saw no workers around, I elected to seat with some other workers in a stormshleter- a little building operators seek little comfort whenever there are running the plant. While waiting for my colleagues to show up at the job site, some talks started. It was around money, the Rat Race, Women, etc.....but financial management or the lack of it, was the MAIN ISSUE. After listening for some time my consent was sought on the matter. Believe me, I spoke passionately. An I spoke for over 10 minutes, narrating my financial struggle from the day I was employed to the present day, and my beliefs about financial discipline, the role of women in our lives, etc.

I had this Motorola radio in my hand. It's a means of communication within the department. A lot of top guys are also linked to it. Some managers, senior colleagues, junior ones, even casual workers by proxy are tuned into this departmental channel. Now the radio on me was kinda a little defective and I've improvised on it by tapering it with a tiny binding wire. Somehow the wired rested on the SPEAK knob, and all along, while I thought I was having a discreet convo with some persons, ALL my communications were heard by EVERYONE who was on the HSE channel. Some of the details I had revealed were regrettable mistakes I wouldnt want anyone beyond that group to hear. So far as the binding wire depressed the speak knob, and I didn't know, I was on channel air- interrupting every other call in the channel, in an emergency channel. I didn't know. I later realised mobile calls were made by my superiors to my mobile phone but I hadn't seen them as the phone was on SILENT mode, hidden away in my coverall. All attempts to have me stop was of no effect.

All this while the contractors had not arrived for work. I've found another work. LOL! Firemen and other HSE professionals were dispatched to physically stop my programme. SMH. I knew there was some troubles when I saw a team of firemen running towards me in a manner similar to their response to a fire emergency. I looked around and didn't spot any fire in the operational area. One of them was even laughing. They motioned for my radio and removed the binding wire, stopping my programme. SMH. When they told me what happened, I almost dropped dead. My blood pressure rose; my heart tripled it's rate, my feet quaked, my mood dropped and I wished the Earth would open up and had me swallowed.

My God! What have I done to myself? I've shared on radio issues I'll consider too personal. The shame. The embarrassment. Will my colleagues even stop mocking me? Why? I wished I hadn't come to work that day. I had never felt such pressure. The pressure almost choked me. How do I go to face my colleagues? My superiors? God. How do I erase these details from the minds of my colleagues? How do I go back to the control room? No one could describe the pressure I felt.

When the pressure became too much, I had to distract myself and play some Enya music like Caribbean blue,Orinoco Flow, etc, to relax me. The more I tried,the more my mind wondered back to the issue. Immediately, I felt what most suicide victims felt before committing suicide. Once in my lifetime, I had found myself in their shoes and it wasn't palatable in the least.

Ours is a society that has failed to try to understand depression and people. We suddenly become experts at advice whenever people commit acts that we feel were improper. We don't mind abusing and denigrating them even when we've not understood their struggles, depression,anxiety and deep worries. We simply condemn; we simply attack.

If I had done the worst, the extreme, God forbid, the same attacks would have landed on me. SMH. Now, I'm NOT in any way supporting or encouraging suicide; I'm simply saying we should endeavour to show sympathy and empathy to people whenever they can't seem to handle the pressures of life and quit.

Whatever you're passing through at the moment, don't give up. There's still hope and life ahead. There's still light at the end of the tunnel. When pressures seem too tough, seek a true friend and confide in, OR seek some other means of relieving the pressure. It could be some serene sort of music. Don't just give up. Suicide is a temporal solution to a permanent problem. Think about your loved ones and the pains and gloom they'll experience.

Man that's born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. Job 14.1. But with determination and patience,all worries and sadness will give way to peace, serenity and joy. And when you observe a person to be in deep depression, don't judge them.Simply help them. A word could save a soul. Call and encourage that friend passing through unemployment, marital crisis, temporal barrenness, admission delay, etc. Give someone a hug. Send an email. A text message could also suffice.

God bless you all. And have a great day.

Lalasticlala, good morning. Please, let's share; it could save a soul.
I'm also in a position of need pls save a soul by hugging me with £ 1000 to releave the pressure. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Ups01(m): 11:24am On Nov 27, 2015
HMM, LEts SEE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 27, 2015
okeyngene1:
Am passing true some kinda depression as am typing rit now, but reading ur post juts revived,gave me hope 4 a beta 2moro. Ur post isn't 4 everybody, its for someone passing true such a terrible situation who sees suicide as d best option. No mata hw good nd encouraging ur post is,some fools must discredit ur effort

I thank God for your words. Your comment is a proof that sharing my personal issue here this morning wasn't a waste of time and effort. God will see you through.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 27, 2015
Some people really need to go listen to that song that was sung by the Empire cast Conqueror - ( feat Estelle and Jussie Smollett) dats d song making me hang on from contemplating suicide.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by stonecoldcafe: 11:31am On Nov 27, 2015
muh4eva:
People had gone througj what could be termed as more than worst but they still held on, stayed calm.... Errbody is gat a story to tell... Big men today z gat some hell of a story. I have had people who told me their story amd I was like I had been through noting but they still held on and they later made it.... Nobody z gat the right to take his/her life no matter how hard the situation. Victor Moses of super eagle is an example......

You guys are not getting it. Op does NOT support suicide but he is stating where one does, we can show empathy instead of raining abuses on the victim. He is saying a suicidal person is mentally disturbed. If you ever met someone like that, don't dismiss them or curse them out. They are frail in that state, so show them love.

Op is not saying the student did the right thing or that suicide is good. Please go back and read his post again.

Some folks must have struggled with their English comprehension.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Eshiet64(m): 11:31am On Nov 27, 2015
Your Write-up is a good one and so encouraging. God bless you and may He give you more wisdom.
l actually have passed through similar situations but am grateful to God as He never allowed the spirit of suicide to overshadow me..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by azeeztqophic(m): 11:31am On Nov 27, 2015
Thanks for the work of advise... And its true that sucide is a temporary solution to parmanemt problem because when there is life there is hope.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by stonecoldcafe: 11:37am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Not at all. That would have meant disaster. Hahha.

Thanks for commenting. God bless.

Nah, thanks for sharing. Perhaps you can share (without going into so much detail) how you were able to overcome the stares, whispering, snide remarks et al during the aftermath of that incident. So many folks are going through dark times and the most trying time is when the heat is the hottest or when they are all alone and the worrying thoughts come again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Adiwana: 11:37am On Nov 27, 2015
Nothing will make me consider suicide,I mean nothing. That will be jumping from frying pan to fire,trust me you don't want that.I no fear God,no reach for my eternal soul.The thought gives me chills.
Ma share a story of my neighbour. Dude was washing car,just as guys do wash cars and warm it.He didn't know car was on reverse as him parents didn't put in neutral,He pressed the throttle to get the car warmed up,the car reversed and hit the gate and went outside.luckily,a man in his car coming saw what was happening and he hit the breaks.People outside saw what was happening and a guy hopped in and hit the breaks.Dude wasnt driving by then.I was in my verandah watching him live. after stopping the car,dude was in complete shock.So just like everybody was talking about the incident,he went upstairs and drank ota pia pia.He wanted to kill himself.His parents started shouting for help until a mechanic and family friend went and gave him Cocnut oil and palm oil to subdue the effect.Today,dude drives cars now,lives his life to the fullest and is eternally grateful.Mind you,he was the only son

What am I saying,if you have the fear of God,and the fear of the unknown, I can tell you,you would think twice.Thanx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by okwadatigbogal: 11:41am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:
I'm sharing this message due to a thread I read last night where it was reported a Nigerian higher Institution student committed suicide after being allegedly told to repeat a year by the school authorities. As the manner is with most Nigerians, the victim was lampooned and mocked by most commenters on the thread, even when they didn't travel in the victim's shoes. Only a few could even type the now-redundant RIP. I pray his soul rest in peace.

I've got a somewhat similar experience though I didn't go the extra mile the Nigerian student went. I was withdrawn from my normal shift duty to cover a new project that will require my being on permanent duty for over 3 weeks. I was mandated to draw the HSE plan for the project, conduct safety talks at appropriate intervals and give situation report to my department on a daily basis. On this terrible day, I had gone to the job site even before the contractors had shown up. It was a Tuesday- a black one for that matter.

When I arrived the site and saw no workers around, I elected to seat with some other workers in a stormshleter- a little building operators seek little comfort whenever there are running the plant. While waiting for my colleagues to show up at the job site, some talks started. It was around money, the Rat Race, Women, etc.....but financial management or the lack of it, was the MAIN ISSUE. After listening for some time my consent was sought on the matter. Believe me, I spoke passionately. An I spoke for over 10 minutes, narrating my financial struggle from the day I was employed to the present day, and my beliefs about financial discipline, the role of women in our lives, etc.

I had this Motorola radio in my hand. It's a means of communication within the department. A lot of top guys are also linked to it. Some managers, senior colleagues, junior ones, even casual workers by proxy are tuned into this departmental channel. Now the radio on me was kinda a little defective and I've improvised on it by tapering it with a tiny binding wire. Somehow the wired rested on the SPEAK knob, and all along, while I thought I was having a discreet convo with some persons, ALL my communications were heard by EVERYONE who was on the HSE channel. Some of the details I had revealed were regrettable mistakes I wouldnt want anyone beyond that group to hear. So far as the binding wire depressed the speak knob, and I didn't know, I was on channel air- interrupting every other call in the channel, in an emergency channel. I didn't know. I later realised mobile calls were made by my superiors to my mobile phone but I hadn't seen them as the phone was on SILENT mode, hidden away in my coverall. All attempts to have me stop was of no effect.

All this while the contractors had not arrived for work. I've found another work. LOL! Firemen and other HSE professionals were dispatched to physically stop my programme. SMH. I knew there was some troubles when I saw a team of firemen running towards me in a manner similar to their response to a fire emergency. I looked around and didn't spot any fire in the operational area. One of them was even laughing. They motioned for my radio and removed the binding wire, stopping my programme. SMH. When they told me what happened, I almost dropped dead. My blood pressure rose; my heart tripled it's rate, my feet quaked, my mood dropped and I wished the Earth would open up and had me swallowed.

My God! What have I done to myself? I've shared on radio issues I'll consider too personal. The shame. The embarrassment. Will my colleagues even stop mocking me? Why? I wished I hadn't come to work that day. I had never felt such pressure. The pressure almost choked me. How do I go to face my colleagues? My superiors? God. How do I erase these details from the minds of my colleagues? How do I go back to the control room? No one could describe the pressure I felt.

When the pressure became too much, I had to distract myself and play some Enya music like Caribbean blue,Orinoco Flow, etc, to relax me. The more I tried,the more my mind wondered back to the issue. Immediately, I felt what most suicide victims felt before committing suicide. Once in my lifetime, I had found myself in their shoes and it wasn't palatable in the least.

Ours is a society that has failed to try to understand depression and people. We suddenly become experts at advice whenever people commit acts that we feel were improper. We don't mind abusing and denigrating them even when we've not understood their struggles, depression,anxiety and deep worries. We simply condemn; we simply attack.

If I had done the worst, the extreme, God forbid, the same attacks would have landed on me. SMH. Now, I'm NOT in any way supporting or encouraging suicide; I'm simply saying we should endeavour to show sympathy and empathy to people whenever they can't seem to handle the pressures of life and quit.

Whatever you're passing through at the moment, don't give up. There's still hope and life ahead. There's still light at the end of the tunnel. When pressures seem too tough, seek a true friend and confide in, OR seek some other means of relieving the pressure. It could be some serene sort of music. Don't just give up. Suicide is a temporal solution to a permanent problem. Think about your loved ones and the pains and gloom they'll experience.

Man that's born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. Job 14.1. But with determination and patience,all worries and sadness will give way to peace, serenity and joy. And when you observe a person to be in deep depression, don't judge them.Simply help them. A word could save a soul. Call and encourage that friend passing through unemployment, marital crisis, temporal barrenness, admission delay, etc. Give someone a hug. Send an email. A text message could also suffice.

God bless you all. And have a great day.

Lalasticlala, good morning. Please, let's share; it could save a soul.

my dear oooh! That is very typical of Nigerians, they are very judgemental. I myself also had extra year during my time and honestly it took the grace of God to get through it. There was so much pressure on me back then, so I perfectly understand how it feels when I hear people commited suicide. I pray all those people who judged the guy do not find themselves in situations where they feel all hope is lost. You do not know how overwhelmed that young man was. You dont know if he worked really hard in school but was seeing the results of his labour. You dont know tbe pressures he faced at home or his personal life. Pls let us leave judgement to God. There are things u can stomach which another person cannot. Also try and say a kind word to someone anytime u get the chance, you dont know whose life u'd save.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by francizy(m): 11:41am On Nov 27, 2015
Preye never dissapoints!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by fbtowner(m): 11:43am On Nov 27, 2015
QTEST007:
Emotional strenght is a gift. Not all have it.

I've been thru some sh1t myself,but am one of the most positive motherfvckers around.

I av got that gift too. Its so amazing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Seunvense(m): 11:59am On Nov 27, 2015
dumo1:
Some people really need to go listen to that song that was sung by the Empire cast Conqueror - ( feat Estelle and Jussie Smollett) dats d song making me hang on from contemplating suicide.
Yeah! Hold on by James Fortune is a great song too.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 27, 2015
The devastation one faces upon self-inflicted embarassment is unequalled.

I'm trying to grasp the full blow of having your reputation scorched by our own words and in the midst of colleagues (which we all know, will stop at Nothing to ridicule one another).

OP, your story is timely and we appreciate your boldness to share. People need to get the lesson and get it straight: that the Human society is just our invention for our good and survival alone. It's no good allowing her strongest weapon of control(embarassment) to cost us our lives.

Best Regards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 27, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

Nah, thanks for sharing. Perhaps you can share (without going into so much detail) how you were able to overcome the stares, whispering, snide remarks et al during the aftermath of that incident. So many folks are going through dark times and the most trying time is when the heat is the hottest or when they are all alone and the worrying thoughts come again.

I know thousands are passing through very trying times. I knew I had to withstand some painful mocking and funny remarks from my colleagues. My senior colleagues didn't make a thing out of it but my grade colleagues couldn't stop attacking and mocking me. The very day, I tactfully avoided their gatherings because I knew what would have befallen me. I know them na. ...they won't stop laughing, though within me I was deeply hurting. It's so fun to poke at others calamity. SMH.

I had to come back to the control room that day. At home I was still contemplating how I was going to face them the following morning during the general breakfast gathering. BOY!!! At last I summoned the courage and took my seat at the breakfast meeting. Luckily only two guys brought up issue. In cases like these, everyone will become superhumans. I pretended like I wasn't embarrassed and after some time the noise started to wane and wane.

Summary is, we must FACE our fears. We must be willing to clean up our own mess. We can't run away forever. We must face that problem squarely, and we must be alive to do that. Once we've done that, we shall come out stronger and become like iron tempered from high burning furnaces.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Ups01(m): 12:21pm On Nov 27, 2015
QTEST007:
Emotional strenght is a gift. Not all have it.

I've been thru some sh1t myself,but am one of the most positive motherfvckers around.

Emotional Strength is a state of mind, it can be cultivated, not all of us have that iron heart some of us took concious steps to avoid depression

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 27, 2015
AnieduEmmanuel:
The devastation one faces upon self-inflicted embarassment is unequalled.

I'm trying to grasp the full blow of having your reputation scorched by our own words and in the midst of colleagues (which we all know, will stop at Nothing to ridicule one another).

OP, your story is timely and we appreciate your boldness to share. People need to get the lesson and get it straight: that the Human society is just our invention for our good and survival alone. It's no good allowing her strongest weapon of control(embarassment) to cost us our lives.

Best Regards

You can only imagine it sir. Thanks for your humane comment. Thank you.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 27, 2015
francizy:
Preye never dissapoints!

My boss, learning never stops oooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by okeyngene1: 12:25pm On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

I thank God for your words. Your comment is a proof that sharing my personal issue here this morning wasn't a waste of time and effort. God will see you through.
Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 27, 2015
Thelmerh:
am going through something similar. am so confused. am heartbroken.

No problem or situation last forever. It may look like you are going to get drown in your present situation, but if you can hold on just a little bit longer now, you will one day laugh about the whole thing troubling you now. What cannot kill you will only make you strong. We all are going through one problem or the other. Cheers

1 Like

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
hahn:

It's a parental problem. Most parents don't show their children love, aren't emphathic, are always judgmental and this reflects on the kids when they grow and have to face life on their own.

I agree.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 27, 2015
Eshiet64:
Your Write-up is a good one and so encouraging. God bless you and may He give you more wisdom.
l actually have passed through similar situations but am grateful to God as He never allowed the spirit of suicide to overshadow me..

Thanks, my dear. As long as we are alive, tough challenges will keep coming but we must be determined to hang on. Giving up isn't a choice.

Thank God for your life. And may He bless you too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Water Seller Shares His Money With Prison Inmates (Video) / Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? / 5 Reasons Why ACCA Is Better Than ICAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.