Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. (7819 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / Practical Snail Farming. All About Snailery! / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 4:39pm On Nov 27, 2015
In the past 4 years,We have been persistent in our search for better ways to rear our indigenous Giant snails (The Archatinas). We have made mistakes,had sleepless nights,spent so much,disappointed loved ones,and failed hard.

But we have also learnt so much.

We have also been stretched by our counterparts in different parts of the world( Europe,Asia,US and Australia). And we have also been encouraged by our brothers here who believe snail meat can be made readily available in the Nigerian market as a staple,all year round.

A good number of them are here on Nairaland. I say a big thank you to you all. And I have come out to say all your efforts with mine and my team has not been in vain. We have perfected the art. It is now very possible to breed and harvest 150,000 snails on a plot,in a year,with a start up breeder stock of 3000.

I will be showing you all how possible that can be as you all have pushed us this far.

I will also use a lot of images and videos here. But not all the videos will be here. All will be on YouTube so you can as well open YouTube on your smartphone,type COLLINS AMADI, and watch most of the videos. You can also subscribe freely so you get notified every time a new video is added as lots of interesting videos will be coming up.

Thank you all for the love. Our young Nigerians can indeed be encouraged. There are still good Nigerians and Angel investors here in this country. Obviously, there is hope for our youths in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 4:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
Land preparation is the first step. We have treated a lot on the importance, What it does and how it can be fixed.

That step is very important.

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
While that is going on,you can run your irrigation system.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2015
Basically there are three things you need to have in order to set up your standard free range curtain method. They are 1. land that can be cultivated. 2. Source of water with reservoir(borehole preferably).
3. Security(fence) and supervisor's quarters.

Once in place the rest can be summed up to a total of 2.4m naira.

You will be able to harvest a minimum of 200,000 snails from a space of 1 plot only.

This will be achieved with initial breeding stock of 3,000 snail breeders (which is included in the 2.4m total cost). Including vegation,irrigation,greenhouse,curtain method and good looking walk paths).

There are three different breeds of African land giant snails. (GALS)
1. Archatina Fulica
2. Archatina Archatina
3. Archatina Marginata.

Archatina Fulica is a Cameroonian breed. It lays a minimum of 200 eggs per each clutch. It is a heamaphrodite(just like all snails). It takes a year six months to grow to table size in the wild. But take 9months to grow to table size in our free range curtain method. Its major advantage is the number of eggs it lays. And that is also its greatest disadvantage. It does not adapt easily and because of that it is not advisable for farmers,especially novices. The mortality rate can be so much that the farmer will assume he made the wrong investment plan.

Archatina Archatina is a Ghanian breed. It is popularly called Tiger Snails. They lay a minimum of 50eggs per each clutch. They grow big too. They are also haemophrodites. They adapt better than the Fulica. They are easy to sell too. They take up to three years to grow to table size in the wild. But a year six months in our free range curtain method. Their only disadvantage is the time of growth. As most farmers will prefer to harvest within the frame if one year.

Archatina marginata is our own indigenous snail. Native to us here in Nigeria. They lay a maximum of 15 eggs per each clutch. They are rugged and adapt easily. They are haemophrodites too. And they take a year and six months to grow to maturity in the wild but 9months in our system.

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2015
Once through with the perimeter fencing(made up of galvanised sheets,the next is the green house construction. This is as important as the first step too.

It serves these purposes:
1. Protect the snails from birds
2. Serve as a nursery for the seeds that will be planted
3. Serve as a shield for the snails as the top will be covered.
4. Gives a form of security and secrecy.

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:07pm On Nov 27, 2015
Next step is capacity building.

This stage can be skipped for those who don't want to be harvesting so much snails from a small space.

But for those who want to maximise land usage,this step cannot be skipped.

Once done,you can harvest the same number of snails that can be originally harvested on an acre,on a plot.

Installation of curtain method systems.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:11pm On Nov 27, 2015
After that cones vegetation.

This shares the same percentage of importance as the ones above. Seeds are preferable as they are cheaper and more exotic plants can be planted that way. Like kale,cabbage,carrot,tomatoes,cucumber,lettuce and others. Cocoyam is good too.

The walkpaths can be cemented while this is being done.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2015
Next is installation of internal nets to serve as the first line of defence against the snails escaping.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:13pm On Nov 27, 2015
And then the Snail breeders can arrive.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by DrTeeee(m): 11:28am On Nov 28, 2015
Nice piece! Thanks op. Kindly inform us how to prevent soldier ants attack in a breeding system like this. Remember the fact that they can burrow through soil and appear in the very center of the farm. Thanks once again
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 5:28pm On Jan 17, 2016

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by IamUmason(m): 8:53am On Jan 21, 2016
THANKS BOSS FOR THE INSIGHT. I AM A STUDENT AND WANT TO INVEST BETWEEN 80-100K IN THIS BUSINESS. I PREFER THE MINI PADDOCK SYSTEM(THE SMALLER ONE CANT AFFORD THE FULL FREE RANGE SYSTEM YET) CAN YOU RUN A BREAKDOWN FOR ME ON HOW TO USE THIS MONEY. IF ITS CONVENIENT FOR YOU SEND TO MY E-MAIL e.umason@ymaidotcom. GOD BLESS YOU HUSTLE.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 9:17am On Jun 04, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 9:35am On Jun 04, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBP56hXMTno

Snail farming in Nigeria,Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 9:37am On Jun 04, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 10:50am On Jun 04, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 1:02pm On Jun 04, 2016
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Damolux01(m): 1:11pm On Jun 05, 2016
Hello bro...I'm interested in this snail farming business...I already have almst 2 plots of land, water source but not up to 2.4M...what can u do to aid me in starting. Just graduated, all I can raise for it now is 200k. Thanks!
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Afrocatalyst: 8:24am On Jun 24, 2016
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by okomotunde: 1:49pm On Aug 30, 2016
You are the kind of young men Nigeria needs.you are informing Nigerian youths to get rich legitimately.This is the most lucrative business anybody can venture into.I am a business investigator.The only problem with this write-up is that it gives the impression that only people with big money can go into this business thereby making youths without capital scared. You are a blessing.people who are interested in this business should visit informationpowerng.com to find out how to finance the project.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by heezey(m): 6:35am On Oct 01, 2016
Are you interested in Snail farming?
Click here to discover the success secret of snail farmers that no one talks about: Snail farming In Nigeria: Exposing the hidden secrets
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Babsnip: 3:33pm On Jan 17, 2017
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by cosade(m): 4:50pm On Jun 15, 2017
Afrocatalyst:
Basically there are three things you need to have in order to set up your standard free range curtain method. They are 1. land that can be cultivated. 2. Source of water with reservoir(borehole preferably).
3. Security(fence) and supervisor's quarters.

Once in place the rest can be summed up to a total of 2.4m naira.

You will be able to harvest a minimum of 200,000 snails from a space of 1 plot only.

This will be achieved with initial breeding stock of 3,000 snail breeders (which is included in the 2.4m total cost). Including vegation,irrigation,greenhouse,curtain method and good looking walk paths).

There are three different breeds of African land giant snails. (GALS)
1. Archatina Fulica
2. Archatina Archatina
3. Archatina Marginata.

Archatina Fulica is a Cameroonian breed. It lays a minimum of 200 eggs per each clutch. It is a heamaphrodite(just like all snails). It takes a year six months to grow to table size in the wild. But take 9months to grow to table size in our free range curtain method. Its major advantage is the number of eggs it lays. And that is also its greatest disadvantage. It does not adapt easily and because of that it is not advisable for farmers,especially novices. The mortality rate can be so much that the farmer will assume he made the wrong investment plan.

Archatina Archatina is a Ghanian breed. It is popularly called Tiger Snails. They lay a minimum of 50eggs per each clutch. They grow big too. They are also haemophrodites. They adapt better than the Fulica. They are easy to sell too. They take up to three years to grow to table size in the wild. But a year six months in our free range curtain method. Their only disadvantage is the time of growth. As most farmers will prefer to harvest within the frame if one year.

Archatina marginata is our own indigenous snail. Native to us here in Nigeria. They lay a maximum of 15 eggs per each clutch. They are rugged and adapt easily. They are haemophrodites too. And they take a year and six months to grow to maturity in the wild but 9months in our system.

Has any of the farms harvested a minimum of 200,000 snails from a space of one plot as envisaged?
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by Elizadath: 11:44pm On Jun 29, 2019
For where?? Just to lure gullible people in to collect their money.
Re: Snail Farming In Nigeria. The Best Way. by xankan: 10:34am On Jun 30, 2019
081 1111 5551 snail farm. Powdered Snail shell seller

(1) (Reply)

Poultry Farming Is The Best / Please Help Me Identify This Leaf / Download My Secret Vegetables Calendar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.