Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency (11593 Views)

Nigeria Police Establishes Radio And Television Stations / El-rufai Establishes Rice & Potatoes Plant In Kaduna, The Biggest In West Africa / MTN Fueled Boko Haram Insurgency - President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Emekamex(m): 11:27pm On Nov 27, 2015
A Canadian broadcaster, David Smith, has established a radio station focused at combating Boko Haram insurgency and its ideology.

The channel, Dandal Kura, will air on shortwave from Nigeria to discourage people from violence.
Dandal Kura, Kanuri words for meeting point, targets mainly the Kanuri and Hausa-speaking communities of Nigeria where Boko Haram has conducted a brutal insurgency since 2009.

Mr. Smith, a veteran crisis and conflict news reporter, distinguished himself by setting up radio stations in crisis areas to preach the gospel of peaceful coexistence in war-torn areas.

He cut his journalism teeth during the Apartheid in South Africa in 1985, and despite being of Canadian descent, worked for the ANC-owned radio station, Capital Radio, against the P.W. Botha-led National Party.
Mr. Smith describes Apartheid as “terrorism”.

He set up the first UN-supported conflict-zone radio in the Balkan region in the 90s during the war in Yugoslavia, and later established a similar project in Bangui, the capital of the Central African Republic, CAR.
With the huge success recorded in educating the people to eschew violence in CAR, he set Radio Bar-Kulan (meaning a meeting place in the local language) in Somalia, and later established Radio Okapi in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

With terrorism ravaging the Lake Chad Basin – an area covering parts of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroun – the broadcaster established Dandal Kura in Nigeria.
Speaking when he visited PREMIUM TIMES recently, the Media Advisor of Dandal Kura Radio, David Smith, said the station targets about 9 million people in the Lake Chad basin.

Mr. Smith, who once worked with the UN on media projects in conflict zones, said the major target audience of Dandal Kura Radio were states affected by the Boko Haram crisis.

He said although the station informs and entertain the people on routine issues, the thematic area of the its programming was largely on peace building.
He said Dandal Kura Radio broadcasts in Kanuri language in order to give people “sense of belonging and ownership”.

He said other areas of the station’s focus were Eastern Niger area of Diffa, the Northern Cameroon area of Marwa, Northern Chad, noting that the station had correspondents in these areas.

“We have network of correspondents in states affected by the Boko Haram activity, and also in neighbouring states,” he said.

“Interestingly, because I travel a lot to N’jamena where I am in talks with the Multi-National Joint Task Force and the Lake Chad Basin Commission, I come across a lot of Kanuri speaking people in N’jamena, there is a large Kanuri speaking IDPs in N’jamena.

“I didn’t know they existed until I started visiting the Lake Chad Commission, and all the Kanuri speaking people in N’jamena started to find me to tell me how much they appreciated Dandal Kura, and wanted to contribute in it.

“Interestingly, because we broadcast on shortwave, and shortwave covers a vast area, I can say even in South Africa, I can pick up Dandal Kura.

“We have a large following in South Sudan and other areas because of the Kanuri speaking people in the Juba area, as well as the Khartoum area. Because of the traditional and historical reasons, people travelling on overland route to Mecca find themselves settling in Khartoum.”

According to him, there are estimated 9 million Kanuri speakers in the Lake Chad basin, and that Dandal Kura Radio is the only radio station that mainly broadcasts in Kanuri.

He said the station was currently operating in Kano for security reasons, assuring that the station would soon move to Maiduguri, where he called the “the heart of the Kanuri speaking world”.

The station currently operates for six hours – from 6am to 8am on 7415KHz in the 41 metre band; 8am to 9am on 15480 KHz in the 19metre band; and 7 to 10pm on 11830 KHz in the 25 metre band.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/194006-canadian-broadcaster-sets-up-radio-to-fight-boko-haram-insurgency.html

12 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by HungerBAD: 11:28pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice one there.

8 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by baby124: 11:30pm On Nov 27, 2015
That is the best way to stop it. I have said that before. They need to be reprogrammed in their own language and through identifiable parts of the Quran.

8 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Yehman(m): 11:35pm On Nov 27, 2015
Enemies of sound knowledge = Boko haram

17 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by shizzy7(f): 11:46pm On Nov 27, 2015
And we have DSS, We have Intulligence units

6 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by shepherd77: 7:23am On Nov 28, 2015
Good idea.

Thus is someone setting up a radio station to combat violence unlike that i'diot that was preaching violence on his biafran radio.

23 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by omowolewa: 8:04am On Nov 28, 2015
Dedicated Journalist, keep it up. Radio stations are meant for good course and not hide-and-seek type we have recently.

4 Likes

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 28, 2015
Good decision, where is lalasticlala sef? Day Don break for Lagos .... grin

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by bunmioguns(m): 8:48am On Nov 28, 2015
cool
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by GovWahala: 8:48am On Nov 28, 2015
Ok Great. it's a good idea to counter the evil ideologies they brainwash many of their followers and intending followers with.

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by looseweight: 8:49am On Nov 28, 2015
Now, terrorism is been taught in schools. I had to browse the internet when a j s s 2 student was given an assignment to mention 10 terrorist organization in the world...

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by PLANETMARS(m): 8:49am On Nov 28, 2015
I blame Biafra for this.....

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by adebayo201: 8:49am On Nov 28, 2015
grin kiss undecided

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by matrix199(m): 8:49am On Nov 28, 2015
That's if the loud explosions haven't deafened them.
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 28, 2015
I hope boko are ram will not blow up the radio station sha. Good idea anyway.
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by adebayo201: 8:51am On Nov 28, 2015
Bring back radio Biafra... Sorry, bring back our girls

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Emeskhalifa(m): 8:51am On Nov 28, 2015
But how?
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by massinola(m): 8:51am On Nov 28, 2015
k
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by ichommy(m): 8:54am On Nov 28, 2015
Wow
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by kennyman2000(m): 8:54am On Nov 28, 2015
Nice initiative. All the best sir!

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by kobonaire(m): 8:56am On Nov 28, 2015
Excellent, even if it is small scale, a grassroots media propaganda against Boko Haram is a good initiative

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by tigonana: 8:56am On Nov 28, 2015
Nice one dere,but watch out for suicide bomber inside d radio station cos dis boko boys dey vex.
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by kings09(m): 8:57am On Nov 28, 2015
Dats gud
Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by Peacewealth(f): 9:00am On Nov 28, 2015
fight on boko haram is a fight against the north. radio station abi yoruba station or kiniko against bh is a fight against the north allow the northern to carry their cross. Shogwo canadian lady

1 Like

Re: David Smith Establishes Radio Station To Fight Boko Haram Insurgency by holuphisayor(m): 9:00am On Nov 28, 2015
Have they succeeded in fighting ISIS? mtcheew

(1) (2) (Reply)

RUGA: IPOB Accuses South-East Governors Of Selling Out To Killer Herdsmen / Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) / 145 Aggrieved Pro-Atiku Support Groups Endorse Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.