Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,211 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? (11999 Views)

I Acquired Programming Skill But Got Accounting Cert. What Are Career Chances? / Johnspeak Uwangue: How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career / Please Help, My Career Is In Jeopardy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by beylinko(m): 9:14am On Nov 28, 2015
myself and Op are in the same boat. Motivational speaking ,writing and poetry are my thing. I am learning from the advises too. Op can we connect? A tree makes no forest
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Missmossy(f): 9:20am On Nov 28, 2015
Lot of silly comments here,if you have nothing sensible to offer its best you say nothing undecided

Going for submit conferences/seminars will be of immense importance. If you are a graduate you will surely stand out if you are really good at what you do. Having a professional course could also boost up your charisma.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by KingTom(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2015
Missmossy:
Lot of silly comments here,if you have nothing sensible to offer its best you say nothing undecided

Going for submit conferences/seminars will be of immense importance. If you are a graduate you will surely stand out if you are really good at what you do. Having a professional course could also boost up your charisma.
best response so far smiley
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by dominique(f): 10:11am On Nov 28, 2015
uncleck:
I have done MC in few occasions, but it is not what i'm talking about. I like the apprenticeship part but i don't know anybody that specializes in that.

For the NCE part check well again

Ok seen
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by BelieveLima(m): 10:16am On Nov 28, 2015
uncleck:
Sorry at the moment i can't Whatsapp, can you mail me on uncleck7@gmail.com?
plz check your mail box, I just sent you mail. Thanks
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 28, 2015
SillyeRabbit:
Guy do this. Address serious issues, create few minutes videos on them by recording yourself, upload on YouTube and monetize them. Before you know it, you will have hundreds of thousands of people following you over there and making money (in $). Nobody in Nigeria is doing this now.

Hey, doesn't have to be serious issues all the time. But should be attention-grabbing. Gerrit ? cool
I like your point of view. Who are you?
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by uncleck: 10:32am On Nov 28, 2015
Crispels:

wow. will like to learn some things from you. please can i have ur pin or contact?
uncleck7@gmail.com
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Rajosh(m): 10:35am On Nov 28, 2015
Those of you saying he should get a degree should read his post again. he already has a degree. Moreover, you don't need a degree to be successful. Talent is much more important which I believe the op already has. Honestly, university education in Nigeria is over hyped.
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by uncleck: 10:43am On Nov 28, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Hello dear. Fine morning to you. I have few words for you.

The call to significance is at the root of our calling; all of us. We must get down to it.

First of all, talent for speaking, which I'll rather call eloquence is not enough. Your talent must be hooked up to a purpose. A purpose in the sense of WHAT SPECIFIC THING DO YOU WANT TO ADDRESS IN THE SOCIETY?

Yes, you're eloquent. You're a wordsmith, but how much of those words will connect to, and solve people's problems? This can only happen when you identify a specific problem in the society you wish to address.

An instance. I have no business talking about relationships, love, etc. I speak on leadership, character, purpose, etc. I am solving a problem. Sit down and build your brand on paper first. WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING?

Secondly, prepare yourself. Some speakers speak once in a week or twice in a week, and that translates to about just two to four times a month. This is not enough to hone your skills.

Hone your talent by volunteer-speaking. While some people speak four times in a month, I speak for about twenty times in a month by volunteering to speak for free in departments and faculties, secondary schools inclusive. Sometimes, I appear uninvited and plead for audience. Guess what, I end with a standing ovation, always always. Private victories precede public victories. This method of speaking at random, solicited and unsolicited will make you a better speaker than all these wannabees who are waiting for a big break.

Three, grow your visibility by connecting to other men and women of purpose. Whenever you come across someone doing what you want to do, never fail to exchange contacts, and call him/her same day. Keep in touch. People of like passion refuel you, and position you for profit. It just takes one invitation from any of them to come speak somewhere, and you will deliver and more doors will open.

Finally, this is your calling, and it is your gift. You determine who has access to your gifts; no trespassing. Seriously place a price on your gifts. People respect what costs them.

And then I will add this: STAY AWAY FROM RELATIONSHIP SCANDALS AND SEXUAL ESCAPEDES. KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN. Speaking has to do with selling your integrity to your listeners.

And sure, I hope you have a blog/website sir? Very neccessary. To your success sir.
Thanks a lot for your candid advice
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by BelieveLima(m): 11:29am On Nov 28, 2015
Crispels:

wow. will like to learn some things from you. please can i have ur pin or contact?
crispel contact me as soon as you can, I'm very close to LASU intending to hold a program there. 08137034802
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by medar(m): 11:40am On Nov 28, 2015
Bros, I advise you to get a professional certificate in public relations. I think the body is NIPR, not very sure but you can search for yourself. Good luck
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by preciousMI1(f): 11:40am On Nov 28, 2015
start by going to different branches of your church to talk to d youths...
Get d youth leader of other churches to give them talks too.
soon you'll be a pastor
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Artorius(m): 1:26pm On Nov 28, 2015
uncleck:
I am a very proficient and skillful public speaker. When I deliver a talk, lecture or speech they are always very sound, logical, eloquent, coherent, consistent, highly persuasive, analytical, motivating and inspiring. I arouse and sustain peoples’ interest from beginning to the end. I normally draw an outline which usually follows a definite order starting from introduction to conclusion.

It does not matter who the audience is; I can speak even to the council of heads of states if given the opportunity. I have a very wide understanding of the society. I have an NCE in Economic and political Science and a degree in Education (History/Int’l Studies).

With this skill I want to go commercial. What are my chances? Matured comments please.
Hi, I love your ambition, I also plan to be a professional speaker at some point in my career. It's a good way to share ideas and stuff.
I suggest you get an area of specialty, where you are 100% qualified and knowledgeable to speak about anytime.
One way to kickstart a career in public speaking is to offer to speak for free. it's a bit hard even to do that, but there are opportunities around. Offer to speak at events, conferences, etc. all for free. Network appropriately in these events, and increase your network of people.
Follow accomplished public speakers like Brian Tracy, he is my personal favorite. Probably the most prolific public speaker of all time.
Ever thought of going into sales? You can be a technology evangelist smiley
My startup might be needing people like you soon wink I just hope you won't be too expensive, at least from the beginning. you can send me a pm if you like, I'll like to add you to my people list smiley
And oh, just a second thought. You ever heard of toastmasters? It is an international organization for public speakers, I don't know if they have active branches in Nigeria. I am currently on exchange studies in Korea, and I am a member of one of the branches in Seoul, and it is very cool. In fact, we have a meeting tomorrow and I am due to speak smiley Try to see if they have such in Nigeria, preferably around you and make yourself an active member. It will give you a sound platform to practice your skills and to network.
I am quite good at speaking too, and I'm famous in my club here in Seoul.
I would also encourage you, public speaking is one of the most lucrative things around, and it is highly desirable even if you work for a corporation or something like that. Keep hustling, and God bless you. I added a few photos from my toastmaster club smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by uncleck: 1:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
Artorius:

Hi, I love your ambition, I also plan to be a professional speaker at some point in my career. It's a good way to share ideas and stuff.
I suggest you get an area of specialty, where you are 100% qualified and knowledgeable to speak about anytime.
One way to kickstart a career in public speaking is to offer to speak for free. it's a bit hard even to do that, but there are opportunities around. Offer to speak at events, conferences, etc. all for free. Network appropriately in these events, and increase your network of people.
Follow accomplished public speakers like Brian Tracy, he is my personal favorite. Probably the most prolific public speaker of all time.
Ever thought of going into sales? You can be a technology evangelist smiley
My startup might be needing people like you soon wink I just hope you won't be too expensive, at least from the beginning. you can send me a pm if you like, I'll like to add you to my people list smiley
And oh, just a second thought. You ever heard of toastmasters? It is an international organization for public speakers, I don't know if they have active branches in Nigeria. I am currently on exchange studies in Korea, and I am a member of one of the branches in Seoul, and it is very cool. In fact, we have a meeting tomorrow and I am due to speak smiley Try to see if they have such in Nigeria, preferably around you and make yourself an active member. It will give you a sound platform to practice your skills and to network.
I am quite good at speaking too, and I'm famous in my club here in Seoul.
I would also encourage you, public speaking is one of the most lucrative things around, and it is highly desirable even if you work for a corporation or something like that. Keep hustling, and God bless you. I added a few photos from my toastmaster club smiley
I've sent you a PM
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Artorius(m): 1:42pm On Nov 28, 2015
uncleck:
I've sent you a PM
Great, I'll reply. One last thing, practice hard brother, I cannot emphasize this enough.
I use to be good at spontaneous speeches, but I realized that practice before hand is ok. I mean practice HARD!!!!
Bless you.
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by uncleck: 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2015
Artorius:

Great, I'll reply. One last thing, practice hard brother, I cannot emphasize this enough.
I use to be good at spontaneous speeches, but I realized that practice before hand is ok. I mean practice HARD!!!!
Bless you.
In case you don't receive it my e-mail is uncleck7@gmail.com
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Artorius(m): 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2015
uncleck:
In case you don't receive it my e-mail is uncleck7@gmail.com
I replied bro
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Emysandy: 6:12pm On Nov 28, 2015
I hardly post on this forum but l have to come online to say this.... Join Toastmasters international, its for public speakers... l thought l could speak until l join Toastmasters and discovered that l have a lot to Learn... you wouldn't only meet with experience speakers but you can join in international competition to achieve your dreams and meet with world famous speakers. I don't know how the club function in Nigeria but some where here in da south its fun and educating....

Am on advance manual on speaking to inform... this is the best group to join.... looking forward to see a Nigerian in the next international competition, next year... remember to read and listen to other speakers its helps to improve your speech.
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by JFACTOR1(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2015
If you are in Imo State, you can hook up with Okpe James Chidi. He is the Team Lead of DMI. He runs a Public Speaking Institute and a monthly REALITY TALKSHOW programme. You can reach him on 08033039236
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by uncleck: 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
Emysandy:
I hardly post on this forum but l have to come online to say this.... Join Toastmasters international, its for public speakers... l thought l could speak until l join Toastmasters and discovered that l have a lot to Learn... you wouldn't only meet with experience speakers but you can join in international competition to achieve your dreams and meet with world famous speakers. I don't know how the club function in Nigeria but some where here in da south its fun and educating....

Am on advance manual on speaking to inform... this is the best group to join.... looking forward to see a Nigerian in the next international competition, next year... remember to read and listen to other speakers its helps to improve your speech.

Thanks a lot, I will research on it
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Artorius(m): 3:42am On Nov 29, 2015
Emysandy:

I will be in the international competition next year cool Looking forward to it smiley
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 29, 2015
Trailblazers unravel is a corporate body built on a strong platform, committed to making a positive impact in the lives of young minds and emerging leaders through inspiration. The Chief Executive Officer, AKIN-OJO TUNDE is an alumnus of the University of Lagos. He graduated in the year 2011. He boils with passion to share the stories, events and experiences that shaped his life during his University days. He reaches out to the heart and soul of youths in the areaS of self-discovery, personal development. Realizing your dreams. Reaching your goals, firing up your potential, fulfilling your destiny, believing in yourself and so on. He is also an artist, entrepreneur and an environmentalist
Like my page on facebook-trailblazers unravel or follow me on twitter @tundeakinojo

Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 29, 2015
I'm SillyeRabbit. grin But that idea na confirm. Use socialblade. c o m to see live monthly earnings of those monetizing their youtube chanel. grin
tycoon2:
I like your point of view. Who are you?
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by RedCapChief(m): 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2015
I like the comment of SillyeRabbit. You will do well to start that after you have done the following:
1. Broaden your knowledge base! Read local and international history, politics, philosophy and psychology

2. Go and submit yourself for discipleship under Fela Durotoye. Become his servant for free. Every master was once a servant. Fela is the best in that business in Nigeria. The skills and connections you'll gain from him will be invaluable.

Then, you can kick off with writing books and doing what SillyeRabbit has said
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by erne: 5:08pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:

Call: 08139458588
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by erne: 5:09pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:
Call: 08139458588
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by preciousMI1(f): 1:30pm On Jan 11, 2016
uncleck:
Hmm! Boss why na
lol....
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Olayinkaademan: 10:40am On Mar 12, 2020
great advice. I was once like this, directionless and in need of advice. in the process of conducting researches online, I stumbled upon fordax training academy based in Lagos. In my time with the academy, I can authoritatively state that i was transformed. If you're seeking to sit in a class where public speaking is taught, I would recommend fordax, their Lagos program has really helped.

Missmossy:

Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by lalanice(f): 5:21am On Apr 15, 2020
In this era of social media You have the best chance
Re: I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? by Lmaomen1(m): 9:33pm On Apr 17, 2020
You seem to have a lot of experience as an orator if you describe your speeches as being flawless and impecabale. However, you haven’t mentioned how many speeches have you done in your life and on what topics. I’m an HR manager in a public speakers bureau. We are currently looking for some candidates who could join the orator team. According to your self characterization you seem to be the perfect candidate for this job position. In case you are interested we can discuss further details by email or over the phone. If I interested you, reply to this message and I’ll contact you as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Resigning My Position To Pursue My Goal: Advice Needed / 8 Things I Learned From The Co-founder Of Jobberman / Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.