Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi (792 Views)

Photos Of Top Boko Haram Commanders Killed During Bombardment In Sambisa Forest / Top Boko Haram Commanders Killed During Military Artillery Bombardments (Photos) / Militant Leader And His Commanders Killed In Rivers (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by HungerBAD: 6:45am On Nov 28, 2015
Chief Raymond Dokpesi is Chairman, PDP National Planning Committee. He identifies the problems facing the PDP and the way forward. LEKAN ADEJUWON reports:

You were just crying the oth­er time on behalf of the PDP. You even apologized to the na­tion that yes, we did things wrong, we didn’t follow our rules. But is it in your place to shed tears when actually, the time these evils were perpetrated you were not an official of the party and perpetrators of these offences had all gone. How did you get this status?

It is so obvious that people must take responsibilities for all the deeds of their predecessors, all those that are involved in leadership and those that are coming after then must also critically analyse where their predecessors have gone wrong. It is very clear that the Ike Ekweremadu report carried out a very incisive examination of the challenges that confronted the par­ty and if you look at where the founding fathers positioned the party, you will see there is a sharp deviation from the objec­tive. So, for those, who still believe in the PDP, for all those that want to rebuild and reconstruct the PDP, it is also important to know where we went wrong and reach out to those who are involved.

Let me also remind you that some years ago, PDP reform was introduced and championed by the likes of Mal­lam El-Rufai but failed to see the light of the day. My question is; those who left the party are you doing anything to bring them back to the fold?

Definitely we are looking at a very com­prehensive reconciliation and first of all, we need to confess our sins and then beg for forgetfulness. Definitely after this con­ference, a massive effort would start to rec­oncile past members of the party. We will go ahead to recruit new members of the party and then, move the party forward.

One of the questions that people may want to ask is that is it not bad enough for the PDP as a brand. Can the PDP really rebrand itself? I mean, here is a party that has all the opportunity to endear itself to the people and they ne­glected, refuse or ignoreto take the ap­propriate step. What if Nigerians don’t even look at the face of the party and say we don’t want to have anything to do again with PDP. Have you not done bad enough that people may not want to look at your face again?

I would say that this assessment is just unfair because, If you look at the 15 years of the PDP ‘s reign, I will envisage that quite a number of Nigerians would agree that there were tremendous steps taken at improving the country. A lot of develop­mental projects were embarked upon by the party. There are quite a lot of improve­ments in the standard of life of the people and the PDP did not fail in those areas. The PDP failed in the area of internal de­mocracy, level playing ground within the party. For instance there is no basis why PDP should lost Benue State, Ortom was a minister under Jonathan and went back to APC because the playing ground was not level. If you go back to Kebi, it is the same thing, if you go back to Katsina, same thing. It was internal conflicts. PDP mem­bers voted against PDP for one offence or the other. There was impunity in the par­ty because some people just felt they were the god fathers, they were the garrison commanders and they were in position to determine the fate of every other person. And in that way and manner, we ran into challenges and so on. Look at the much more developed countries, will the Tor­ries in the UK said, because they have lost power they would jettison their name? In the United State the Republican would not go under because they lost an election, but they would go back to restructure, to iden­tify what they did wrong. The PDP is the only party that still has its root up to the most remote part of the country. It is the only party that has membership across the entire country so, and therefore, all we just need to do is to re-invent ourselves, look at what we are confronted with and move the country forward.

In your effort to rebrand the party, a notable leader in the north, General IBB was said to have declined to be a part of the rebranding process. Would this not affect your quest in the north?

This is not to my knowledge. I am not aware of the fact that General IBB de­clined. I personally have met with him and I am very clear that the General was very happy and enthusiastic that efforts are be­ing made to rebuild and rebrand the party to restructure it, identify the challenges and he personally expressed commitment that he would be at the conference.

I have a problem with this; I remem­ber you quoted in an interview I grant­ed you when you were the DG of the IBB Campaign Organisation. Let me ask you the question again, You have a PHD in Marine Engineering and I told you then, that much as you can market your PHD, you cannot market an IBB because IBB is a bad product. Why do you want to carry baggages to the PDP continuously.Those whose imag­es are bad are those you are planning to rebrand or repackage. You are still carrying IBB, Ciroma. People who, the youths don’t want to listen to. What are you doing with these baggages that PDP cannot do away with?

I will definitely not agree with you in that perspective. The truth of the matter is that I started by identifying the major challenges that PDP had which was mov­ing away from the vision of the founding fathers and there is no way you can talk about the formation of the PDP without people like Mallam Adamu Ciroma, with­out people like General Ibrahim Babangi­da, and all the other leaders that formed the G-18, the G-34 and you cannot also do away with the very vibrant youths that we have right now. What do we do? It is to create a symbiotic relation, some sort of synergy with those people to know where we went wrong. For example, Adamu Ciro­ma is not coming in to say he is contesting for a party office today. He is not saying he wants to run for a political office but his very presence would also mean that the la­bour of our heroes past are not be in vain. So, its like; guide us, look at what we are do­ing. So, what we are looking forward to is to actually get where we have gone wrong with the vision of these founding fathers and the younger ones will be carried along in the rebuilding process.

What is the role PDP will give to the young people? Will the elders take the back sit and allow the young elements to drive the process? Some persons may say, may be, the APC government seems not to have appointed the youths into various position and PDP may try to take the advantage by pushing the young people in the front. What are you to say?

The PDP in its 16 years of existence al­ways recognize the youths and women as they both featured in critical positions and participated in governance, but I belong to a school of thought that says, that is not enough, a lot still needs to be done. For in­stance, you may say, a certain percentage of positions that we have in the executive, po­sitions that we have in government should be held specifically for the youths to be able to ensure the involvement of the youth. So, the PDP is taking the advantage of the youths, believing in the vibrance and the agility of the youths to propel the economy.

Of course, some of the youth leaders of the PDP are 60 years old in the past, it puts some question marks on this claim that you have for the youths for instance, we have elderly people being the youth leader of the PDP

Cuts in) I am not aware of that. I am aware the present youth leader of the PDP he is around 36.

But the one he took over from was above 60?

Chairman, we are particularly ex­cited that the party is re-inventing it­self and we are hoping that the party is going to put itself down now as they would not want to make any deliberate mistakes. Let us see what are the take-aways from the PDP National confer­ence?

Quite a lot. Just know that it is a con­ference, it is not a convention but we are supposed to be looking at all the issues that affect the party as a whole. We are go­ing to look at the past administrations and see what is wrong whether in our policies, whether in the manifestoes and the consti­tution of the party, how we should relate to each other with respect, we look at new di­rection and so on. We would actually under­stand the fact that since the past 16 years of civil rule, we are in power, we are not used to opposition, so we will have to also adapt and prepare ourselves as the major oppo­sition in the interest of the people that is paramount. The PDP is created to serve the interest of the people, unfortunately, along the way some people hijack the party and that is why we need to continuously make apologies to the people.

Now we have a bridge to be built; a bridge between the young and the old and the PDP is saying we want to open up our flanks to the younger ones so that when people who were leading be­fore now are old and aging. What are the efforts and the lessons impacted on the younger ones. Are you going to introduce subscription on party mem­bers every month, every year so that they can have a say?

Definitely the PDP for the first time, started biometric registration of members and we did a pilot scheme in Edo State. The constitution of the party stated clearly that every member of the party should pay monthly dues to ensure that we are equal joiners. The party belongs to all of us. We are running away from this problem of del­egate elections where people are changed overnight

Seun,Lalasticlala

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/godfathers-garrison-commanders-killed-pdp/
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by menix(m): 6:48am On Nov 28, 2015
Where will u go u won't see God fatherism, PDP problem is qorruption..
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by Firefire(m): 6:48am On Nov 28, 2015
Good story...
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by funnynation(m): 6:50am On Nov 28, 2015
A teacher asked his students, 1+1= ?. A student stood up and said 4. A man passing by overhead the response, he shook his head and said: " they will kill us in this country. Everything has increased, transport fare, fuel prices, foodstuff, beer,... everything. Even 1+1 that used to be 2 has now gone up to 4. Please like my facebook fan page for more jokes and update.. m.facebook.com/funnyNation1
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by modath(f): 6:53am On Nov 28, 2015
Until PDP come to terms with the fact that they were sent packing cos they didn't meet the yearnings of Nigerians & at the same time didn't care enough to be sensitive...

The office of the citizen is alive now, no govt or party is sacred.. People are wiser..

BTW, why is Dokpesi crying more than the bereaved?

1 Like

Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by HungerBAD: 6:56am On Nov 28, 2015
modath:

Until PDP come to terms with the fact that they were sent packing cos they didn't meet the yearnings of Nigerians & at the same time didn't care enough to be sensitive...

The office of the citizen is alive now, no govt or party is sacred.. People are wiser..

BTW, why is Dokpesi crying more than the bereaved?

Why he is crying more than the bereaved?simple.

He wants to be in the good books of this Government.

1 Like

Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by DickDastardly(m): 6:58am On Nov 28, 2015
All this people should just shut up. We all know what went down. y'all are guilty, including the ones that now make up 98% of APC. What Nigerians need now is for all Politicians to shut the fvck up, fold their agbada and get down to work. Left for me, a REVOLUTION will serve the masses better than another election if the current economic status quo is not reversed.
Note: Dickdastardly stopped voting in elections since 2011, as he finds no Nigerian politician worth standing in the sun or rain for. cool
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by temitemi1(m): 7:03am On Nov 28, 2015
Who's interest is dokpesi now speaking for
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by Bobbystanley(m): 7:24am On Nov 28, 2015
Dokpesi is trying to decamp to APC.
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by ijustdey: 7:32am On Nov 28, 2015
we need a vibrant opposition that is better than PDP

PDP is dead and can't play opposition party
Re: Godfathers, Garrison Commanders Killed PDP- Chief Raymond Dokpesi by ishiamu(m): 7:39am On Nov 28, 2015
Bobbystanley:
Dokpesi is trying to decamp to APC.

Anything is possible in nigeria politics

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians, This Is What We Call CHANGE / See The Handwork Of Our Government "No Selling Of Fuel Inside Gallon"(pics) / 20 Things Nigerians May Experience In 2016 Under Buhari’s Govt-gov. Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.