Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

How Pure Is Pure Water? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Pure Is Pure Water? (15574 Views)

'Pure Water' Exposed To Heat Can Be Cancerous – Expert / Pure Water how pure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Pure Is Pure Water? by pstemmy: 9:35pm On May 26, 2009
MANY PEOPLE PRIDE THEMSELVES OVER DRINKING SAFE WATER SUCH AS THE POPULAR SACHET(PURE WATER) AND EVEN THE HIGHLY REVERED BOTTLE WATER.THE TRUTH HOWEVER REMAINS THAT THIS WATER IS NOT REALY HEALTHY FOR OUR CONSUMPTION.IT CONTAINS SEVERAL CHEMICALS THATBARE ULTIMATELY HARMFUL TO TRHE BODY.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by biola44: 11:04am On May 27, 2009
as pure as #5, just kiddin
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by samparian(m): 11:06am On May 27, 2009
not all pure water producers are registered and i believe for one to have a pure water production facility, you MUST get clearance from the Ministery of health and Nafdac too.

on your statement, we know they are not all "pure". it all depends on who is producing the pure water and the Recommended water treatment from NAFDAC.

so, what chemicals are you talking about? Educate us
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Agbalanze(m): 11:14am On May 27, 2009
There is nothing like pure water. What we have is satchet water and our highly glorified bottled water which have being treated with chlorine and sometimes iodine. Even rain being refered as the purest form of water contains impurities and dust particles. And spring contains rock salt. Generally, water cannot be 100% pure and "pure" means being free from impurities which implies that water is never pure.

1 Like

Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by samparian(m): 11:20am On May 27, 2009
how come it bears that name, cos last time i was in ghana, it was refered to as pure water.

thing is that we cant do without them, that is satchet water and bottled water
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by kshow1(m): 11:24am On May 27, 2009
THERE IS NOTIN PURE IN PURE WATER !!!!!!!!!!!
CHIKENA !!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Phony200(m): 11:57am On May 27, 2009
I'm a student of Environmental mgt and toxicology and I had to do a water analysis practical course. I tested Gossy water, Eva and Ragolis. Their pH levels were remarkably neutral ranging from 6.9-7.1. Gossy was 7.0! Dissolved solid analysis was also very very low ranging from 0.001 to 0.010, again Gossy was lowest. Dissolved calcium and conductivity levels were also in line with WHO standards. One brand of sachet water also did very well. As much as we all want to believe they are impure, they actually are doing a great job. I stopped abusing those brands of water after that practical session because we compared them with well water and tap water using WHO requirements. If I didn't do it personally, I'd still not believe but I do now.

2 Likes

Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by oludashmi(f): 12:01pm On May 27, 2009
The poor pure water is just to satisfy immediate thirst. Even the ones certified by NAFDAC are purely poor cos they begin to produce jargons from stinky environments the moment they get the approval they needed.

Two producers of poor water, I heard on Tiwa n Tiwa news last week were arrested. They were found sealing the sachet manually in a room locked up with irons and bars to prevent people from sneaking thru but nemesis caught up with them.

What I have always thought of is that NAFDAC should get these sachets and bottle water from outside and test it over a period of time to verify who is doing it well and who is not cos if they notify that they will visit the company, the management would have put their house in order and NAFDAC will not get them.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Phony200(m): 12:08pm On May 27, 2009
oludashmi:

The poor What I have always thought of is that NAFDAC should get these sachets and bottle water from outside and test it over a period of time to verify who is doing it well and who is not cos if they notify that they will visit the company, the management would have put their house in order and NAFDAC will not get them.

It's pretty simple. Just put the bottle or sachet in a dark corner over a period of 2 to 3 weeks and see the wonders of biology unfold. If there's a single impurity in it, It'll all coagulate and turn green with time.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by MrCrackles(m): 12:09pm On May 27, 2009
You get purity levels based on the amount you pay for i guess
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by ziga: 12:25pm On May 27, 2009
@Phony200

Thanks for supporting with evidence, As much as some people might not want to believe, Nigeria can do things to meet international standards (if we want to)
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by seedord247(m): 12:27pm On May 27, 2009
do we have any product produce in Nigeria that is Originaly, not to talk of pure water, ice water is the name they just modified the name to pure water,
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by FBS: 1:29pm On May 27, 2009
me think its only 20% pure.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by waterworks(f): 1:38pm On May 27, 2009
kshow1 my brora. abeg talk am again grin
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Theblessed(f): 1:43pm On May 27, 2009
As pure as my bath water, ok! Don't bother with them!  Just if you can boil all your drinking waters and save them in the fridge if you have one and if you don't have any, still save them in bottles and leave in a cooler place when you need them.  Even in the Uk they aren't as clean as claimed.  There was a Hoooooohaaaah here not so long ago (3yrs ago) when investigative journalism (Panorama) exposed the flaws in all bottled waters imported from abroad including British ones.  As for Nigerian pure water, pleeeeaaaassseee!!!!!!!!! Unless if you want a bit of diahorrea or cholera - take a pick!!!!!

Vote with your feet, stop buying them!  This would put them out of business, for good. Why pity somebody who doesn't care about your health and wellbeing!
Please people, use your brains and stop falling for brand names and fashion as doing so will not only harm you but increase the bank account of these crooks.  Please, put them out of business for good.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by TOLABABE1(f): 1:50pm On May 27, 2009
-100% pure
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by kokoye(m): 2:41pm On May 27, 2009
Buy original pure water by typhoid fever. cold pure water yessss
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by captured(f): 3:45pm On May 27, 2009
As pure as the tap water in the porduction area which is not always the one written on the pack
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Becomrich: 4:36pm On May 27, 2009
nice one
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by saintade01(m): 5:17pm On May 27, 2009
Phony200:

I'm a student of Environmental mgt and toxicology and I had to do a water analysis practical course. I tested Gossy water, Eva and Ragolis. Their pH levels were remarkably neutral ranging from 6.9-7.1. Gossy was 7.0! Dissolved solid analysis was also very very low ranging from 0.001 to 0.010, again Gossy was lowest. Dissolved calcium and conductivity levels were also in line with WHO standards. .

Then i ll go for Gossy.

Hey did they sell in 25ltrs or 50ltrs Jery-cans ?? wink
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by MaiSuya(m): 7:21pm On May 27, 2009
Phony200:

I'm a student of Environmental mgt and toxicology and I had to do a water analysis practical course. I tested Gossy water, Eva and Ragolis. Their pH levels were remarkably neutral ranging from 6.9-7.1. Gossy was 7.0! Dissolved solid analysis was also very very low ranging from 0.001 to 0.010, again Gossy was lowest. Dissolved calcium and conductivity levels were also in line with WHO standards. One brand of sachet water also did very well. As much as we all want to believe they are impure, they actually are doing a great job. I stopped abusing those brands of water after that practical session because we compared them with well water and tap water using WHO requirements. If I didn't do it personally, I'd still not believe but I do now.

Interesting findings, I must say.

BTW what exactly is 'pure' water? my understanding is that it's one in which the level of extraneous matter - which of course there will always be, no matter the extent of purification - does not constitute a health hazard to the individual consuming it. so in that case most of our pure/packaged water are ok.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by tpiah: 9:43pm On May 27, 2009
do you mean the pure water sachets sold by street hawkers who most times are underage?

Or the fancy bottled pure water?
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by tbabes61(f): 9:56pm On May 27, 2009
20% pure, lol,its the truth!!
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by aduje(m): 8:18am On May 28, 2009
Lets drink Poor water! Lets drink Pure gutter! Lets drink those waters made from canals and untreated boreholes, but their samples pass NAFDAC laboratory tests (after money must have exchanged hands). Some pure water companies take samples from Eva water or Gossy and seal in in their sachet. Thats what they present to NAFDAC Laboratory for test, hahaha!!!!!!!!! drink pure acid, AFTERALL "GERMS ARE HAVE NO AUTHORITY FOR AFRICA MAN BELLE.", I just quoted Chika Opalla (Zaburudaya) MON.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by solosimple(m): 8:19am On May 28, 2009
This will help. Thanks for the post.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by emmydee(m): 10:54am On May 28, 2009
@ Agbalanze
The purest water is Spring ,not rain water. Rain water is one of the impurest types of water. as it comes down, it gets mixed up with a lot of particles.

Water  from the springs is said to be the purest on earth. Meanwhile, only bottled water from, Nigerian -German Chemical company, UAC, Coca-cola, smithkilme-beecham, etc can be said to be safe for drinking and I advise everyone to cultivate the habit of drinking only from those sources. If you can buy a bottle of star, stout etc, you can also buy two or three 1 litre bottle of water for your consumption per day.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by Phony200(m): 7:58pm On May 28, 2009
emmydee:

@ Agbalanze
The purest water is Spring ,not rain water. Rain water is one of the impurest types of water. as it comes down, it gets mixed up with a lot of particles.

Water  from the springs is said to be the purest on earth. Meanwhile, only bottled water from, Nigerain -German Chemical company, UAC, Coca-cola, smithkilme-beecham, etc can be said to be safe for drinking and I advise everyone to cultivate the habit of drinking only from those sources. If you can buy a bottle of star, stout etc, you can also buy two or three 1 litre bottle of water for your consumption per day.

Thank you.

Very true. Ionization levels for spring water are the lowest compared to all other sources.

ziga:

@Phony200

Thanks for supporting with evidence, As much as some people might not want to believe, Nigeria can do things to meet international standards (if we want to)

You're very welcome grin Nigeria is good, we just refuse to believe it.

Mai Suya:

Interesting findings, I must say.

BTW what exactly is 'pure' water? my understanding is that it's one in which the level of extraneous matter - which of course there will always be, no matter the extent of purification - does not constitute a health hazard to the individual consuming it. so in that case most of our pure/packaged water are ok.

Well, that's in the layman sense of the word. WHO standard pure water is one with pH 6.5-8.5, Low ionization content ranging from 0.002-0.2mg/l, Conductivity of 250 microS/cm, Hardness of 150-500 mg/l, No dissolved solids and very low suspended solid content. Most of these parameters can be tested in a regular science lab, pH, Conductivity and dissolved or suspended solids with a portable handheld pHmeter. Hope this info helps.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by samparian(m): 12:46am On May 29, 2009
Theblessed:

As pure as my bath water, ok! Don't bother with them! Just if you can boil all your drinking waters and save them in the fridge if you have one and if you don't have any, still save them in bottles and leave in a cooler place when you need them. Even in the Uk they aren't as clean as claimed. There was a Hoooooohaaaah here not so long ago (3yrs ago) when investigative journalism (Panorama) exposed the flaws in all bottled waters imported from abroad including British ones. As for Nigerian pure water, pleeeeaaaassseee!!!!!!!!! Unless if you want a bit of diahorrea or cholera - take a pick!!!!!

Vote with your feet, stop buying them! This would put them out of business, for good. Why pity somebody who doesn't care about your health and wellbeing!
Please people, use your brains and stop falling for brand names and fashion as doing so will not only harm you but increase the bank account of these crooks. Please, put them out of business for good.

I admit that there are many crooks who use impulse sealer to "hand" produce satchet water from untreated taps. I've seen that with my own eyes and i truelly wept.
the fact remains that there are a few good ones out there and i believe anyone who sets out for producing satchet water with the automotive machine can very well treat his water water because to buy all these equipments cost big money.
How many Nigerians can afford to buy bottled water on daily basis? How many Nigerians have the time to boil and sift out their drinking water daily?
NAFDAC should sit up and do their job very well.
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:48am On May 29, 2009
doesnt take long to boil water
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by oge4real(f): 1:55am On May 29, 2009
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by samparian(m): 3:28am On May 29, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

doesnt take long to boil water

True, but it takes long for the watre to cool afetr filtration grin

anyone who can afford to budget almost 2 million naira to start a standard prodcution facility MUST produce good quality satchet water

Re: How Pure Is Pure Water? by samparian(m): 3:35am On May 29, 2009
any ways, when was the last time you boiled your own drinking water?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu State Confirms Fourth Case Of COVID-19 / Females' Experience Of Being A Virgin. / The Ojota Dumpsite: An Urgent Need For Its Relocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.