Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

I Need A Digital Video Camera - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Need A Digital Video Camera (4599 Views)

I Need A Professional Video Camera! / Become A Videographer (video Camera Handling And Video Editing) / Dsr 450 Video Camera For Sale 1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 1:14pm On Oct 18, 2006
Hello,

Where do you think I can get a very good video camera for someone with a low budget? I only need VCD quality for now, and I really want to buy from a shop that has a lot of video cameras to sell.

I know about:
http://www.computerport.biz/categorylanding/C23/c39
http://www.whogobuy.com/biz/brownmark/listings/
http://shopforless.com/Nigeria/shop/products.asp?cat=12&sub=68

The cameras in these places seem to be either expensive or of unknown quality.
Do you have any advice for me? I want to get the camera as soon as possible! 20-40k budget, max 60k.

Thanks.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by twinstaiye(m): 2:08pm On Oct 18, 2006
Seun, decide on which brand or make you want, then we may be able to locate their marketers here in Nigeria.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by TheMaveri: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2006
Seun:

Hello,

Where do you think I can get a very good video camera for someone with a low budget?  I only need VCD quality for now, and I really want to buy from a shop that has a lot of video cameras to sell.

I know about:
  http://www.computerport.biz/categorylanding/C23/c39
  http://www.whogobuy.com/biz/brownmark/listings/
  http://shopforless.com/Nigeria/shop/products.asp?cat=12&sub=68

The cameras in these places seem to be either expensive or of unknown quality. 
Do you have any advice for me?  I want to get the camera as soon as possible!  20-40k budget, max 60k.

Thanks.

A camera in the 60K ($480) range is not exactly what you need to be using to shoot your flick, not that you can't do it. But don't base it on "VCD" quality per say. Why? Well, because, what you see on VCD is highly compressed to fit into 760MB, that doesn't mean they shoot it on low quality cameras. They actually shoot with high quality cameras, however in order to get them into VCDs(which basically is your regular CD that you use to burn music, in most cases maximum 800MB) you need to compress the files and in so doing the high quality is reduced to what you see. If you shoot with an already low quality camera, your finished project will be highly degenerated when you compress the footage to put on VCD. You're better off renting a good camera to shoot with.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by naija4life(f): 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2006
Methinkg maverick has said it all, grin grin grin

The Maveri:

A camera in the 60K ($480) range is not exactly what you need to be using to shoot your flick, not that you can't do it. But don't base it on "VCD" quality per say. Why? Well, because, what you see on VCD is highly compressed to fit into 760MB, that doesn't mean they shoot it on low quality cameras. They actually shoot with high quality cameras, however in order to get them into VCDs(which basically is your regular CD that you use to burn music, in most cases maximum 800MB) you need to compress the files and in so doing the high quality is reduced to what you see. If you shoot with an already low quality camera, your finished project will be highly degenerated when you compress the footage to put on VCD. You're better off renting a good camera to shoot with.

Better rent than accept low quality camera dn end up messing up your finished work
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2006
My plan is to get a VCD quality camera for learning and then rent a more serious camera (HD/cinema quality) later. Although, to be sincere, I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

I feel that with a cheap camera I can conduct auditions, rehersals, youtube videos, etc. I feel that with the cheap camera I'll gain experience that will help me to get better results when I'm renting the super cameras.

Or what do you think?

Thanks!
And where do they rent solid cameras, anyway? I know of no directory.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by TheMaveri: 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2006
Well in that case, yeah, you're right. I thought you were looking for one to shoot the flick. You can get a cheaper one for all the things you mentioned, including location scouting and the rest. In fact, depending on the nature of your story, you can even incorporate footage from that camera to your flick, ie, if say you have scenes where a character is recording something with that particular camera, you can cut into footage from what the character is recording to give your audience another perspective or what that character is capturing.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 8:34pm On Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for that insight. What camera would you recommend as a cheap camera? I'm worried that actors that look or sound good on cheap cameras might not look so good on more expensive cameras. So I'm thinking that maybe the camera should not be so cheap that a VCD created with it will look ugly. Then I'm thinking, "if I'm spending that much money for a 'cheap' camera why not buy the best one?" So I'm completely confused. Completely!

What I wish I could do is run a low budget one man movie production operation and actually make enough to cover costs. But since that appears impossible, I'm wondering what the next option should be and I'm confused. Help!
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by nferyn(m): 9:24pm On Oct 18, 2006
You better focus on your lighting, sound and editing skills than on the quality of the camera. You can still get a very decent result from an old VHS camcorder, as long as you take care of a proper setup of your shots. If you want to save time - and in the long run money - get yourself a DV camcorder, an external microphone and make sure that you always have a properly lit shot. Especially if you're shooting inside, make sure you've got enough extra light on the scene.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Raymand(m): 9:38pm On Oct 18, 2006
This book may help you in your movie. . .just make sure you add me in your credits reel wink

Make Your Digital Movies Look Like Hollywood. . .

The digital video mode 24p captures imagery more nearly the way motion picture cameras do. It opens up a world of possibilities for digital filmmakers. But aspiring to ?film-look video? involves more than just flipping a switch on your camera. The authors share the secrets of Hollywood-style production so you can give your movie a truly polished, commercial look. You won?t need to beg major studios for financing to finally turn your movie into a reality. At last, you?ll be able to make your film, your way. "24P: Make Your Digital Movies Look Like Hollywood" is packed with tips and advice for making the most of this incredible technology. It includes an 8-page color insert and offers an insider?s view of the complete chronological sequence of professional film-style production, carefully examining how to apply the new technology from the craftsman who is most involved in or most responsible for each phase?from the producer and cinematographer to the director and editor.

download link:
http://www.vebook.org/uploadfile/2005/9/23/18114845016.zip
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 10:06pm On Oct 18, 2006
Thanks, nferyn. Thanks, Raymand.

Can you advice me on what specific microphone, DV camera and lighting system I should buy?
There are so many brands, specifications, models, it's all so confusing and I've tried to understand it.
Will a well-lit movie shot on a VHS camcorder be acceptable to a TV station for instance?

Advice on how I can buy it in Nigeria would also be lovely. Is it compulsory to import it? Thanks.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by dennylove(m): 12:00am On Oct 19, 2006
seun,what's going on,do you want to be involve in movies shooting?well,if you are interested in movies shooting,i has this uncle who import /export all kind of eletronics and eletrical appliances,may be i tell him to get you one DV camera with vcd recorder.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 12:25am On Oct 19, 2006
Really? That would be great, since I hope to choose an ideal camera based on Amazon.com user reviews.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Orikinla(m): 10:00am On Oct 19, 2006
Seun,
You have already received all the contributions you need.

Cheers!
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 10:16am On Oct 19, 2006
Yes, Orikinla, I'm happy to have been 'de-confused' by these lovely people.

Raymand's book is very enlightening because it explains all the areas of movie production that one has to plan for: video format (60i vs 24P vs PAL), crew, camera, lighting, sound, direction, editing, special effects, and even distribution. So once I have a good plan for each of those areas I'll know that I am ready to start.

As an independent film-maker, I've realised that my movies must be of at least DVD/DSTV/AIT quality. Instead of trying to buy the cheapest camera, I'll look for a DV camera with very good reviews and spare no expense in buying it since it's a fixed cost that I can spread over several movies. The variable costs are probably more important.

I'll start a new thread to discuss low budget serial movie production where variable costs are minimized. kiss
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Orikinla(m): 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2006
If I were you, I would have gone to see the production of a television drama or movie and learn from the practical experience before buying any camera.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by TEEZERO(m): 4:59am On Oct 20, 2006
Yes, indeed, Orikinla: I don't know if it was Tade Ogidan that said this, or Wale Adenuga or Tunde Kelani, that learning movie production is best when you are in the thick of production. As it were, learning under the supervision of a master.
So, Seun, you have to create time to do some attachment with any one you would consider a master. If you don't want to do that, I'll advise that you go spend one weekend in Jos, at the Nigerian Film Corporation. Oh, by the way, the NFC's last SHOOT 2006 - a kind of training workshop facilitated by some expat filmmakers was considered WOW! NFC's Managing Director, Afolabi Adesanya, himself a notable film-maker, will be so happy to help give you some inisghts. Am sure he will. He has no hang-ups like some other CEOs. And he is very progressive. NFC under him has made some remarkable strides. They are reportedly building a studio where filmmakers can do a lot without having to travel abroad.
So, brother, you've got to find time.
And, all the best in your attempt to be a movie maker.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Orikinla(m): 9:12am On Oct 20, 2006
TEE ZERO:

Yes, indeed, Orikinla: I don't know if it was Tade Ogidan that said this, or Wale Adenuga or Tunde Kelani, that learning movie production is best when you are in the thick of production. As it were, learning under the supervision of a master.
So, Seun, you have to create time to do some attachment with any one you would consider a master. If you don't want to do that, I'll advise that you go spend one weekend in Jos, at the Nigerian Film Corporation. Oh, by the way, the NFC's last SHOOT 2006 - a kind of training workshop facilitated by some expat filmmakers was considered WOW! NFC's Managing Director, Afolabi Adesanya, himself a notable film-maker, will be so happy to help give you some inisghts. Am sure he will. He has no hang-ups like some other CEOs. And he is very progressive. NFC under him has made some remarkable strides. They are reportedly building a studio where filmmakers can do a lot without having to travel abroad.
So, brother, you've got to find time.
And, all the best in your attempt to be a movie maker.
TEE ZERO,
Your advice is the best shot so far. And even good enough for the wrap. Finis.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 10:06am On Oct 20, 2006
Whether it's webmastering or film production, I find it easier to learn from books and the web. I've been reading, reading, and reading about all aspects of film production for while. I just don't feel I can work with people who consider themselves to be "masters" right now. I can only read what experienced people have written. sad
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 12:03am On Oct 21, 2006
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 10:44pm On Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for the advice once more. I'm learning a lot at home, using an ordinary digital camera in video mode.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Gamine(f): 9:13am On Oct 30, 2006
hey i think if u come to my school ud find smthing, many guys sell good stuff cheaply
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Jokotola: 1:13pm On Nov 07, 2006
Hey, nobody has adviced my guy to patronize home made product. MADE IN NIGERIA IS THE BEST. Nnaaaaa meeeen!!!! go to ALABA INTERNATIONAL grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 1:23pm On Nov 07, 2006
If I go to Alaba, will I get everything I'm looking for? They seem to be selling very few 3ccd camera models. I also want microphone, stands, and other accessories for movie production. Will I get everything at Alaba?
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2007
I got an NV-GS500 eventually, and it's pretty good. It has some fine grain noise in low light, though.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Tosbi(m): 8:56pm On Oct 02, 2007
Hello, I am also interested in this topic. I am also a scriptwriter and playwright. I am intending to go to wale adenuga's pefti for studing Cinematography and film editing. Please don't forget me seun. when u through, please i am interested in joining your crew. i know u can. no probs
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Seun(m): 12:20am On Oct 03, 2007
Hello Tosbi, I've been looking for a good screenwriter for a while. Send me an email, will you? Let's do something.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by wham(m): 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2007
Congrats on your new camera.

You maintained your drive even after a year.

We would be looking out for "SEUN-productions" wink
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Tosbi(m): 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2007
Hi Seun. U can trust me for dat man. I ve sent u a mail, so we can contact and see what we can do.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by tomX1(m): 1:48pm On Oct 31, 2007
No matter the camera you use, you will get a grainy picture if the light is poor. If you want to improve the quality of your shots under home conditions like in your room, try using a couple of 150watt flood lamps. They will give you a good (not studio perfect) illumnation ant they are not as hot and uncomfortable as halogen or red head. Besides they are quite cheap and you can make them yourself. For tripod (for the light) you can use a conventional speaker tripod (#3K). The flat platic mount on top will make a good platform for the flood lamps. With a little creativity you will get yourself a good studion in your room with less than #10k. Good enough for most training you will need at this stage.
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Chydobe: 10:27pm On Jul 11, 2019
“WHAT IS BEST DIGITAL CAMERA?”. You would also be able to have good options to choose from the list of Best digital cameras. Then, you would be able to choose and make one your best digital camera 2019.

We will also keep track of big events to announce some best buy camera prices in subsequent articles. Click on the link below and take part!

https://www.techlearnhow.com/2019/07/11/best-digital-camera-2019-buy-a-camera-from-list-of-best-digital-cameras/
Re: I Need A Digital Video Camera by Homeyfav: 7:59am On Apr 16, 2020
[]l;

(1) (2) (Reply)

HACKED DSTV APP For Android: Watch Free Channels Without Subscribtion / How To Get Erotic Station On Startimes Digital Tv Decoder / Top 5 Upcoming Hollywood Movies Of 2013 With Trailers In HD Quality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.