Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Corpers Are The Main Cause Of Unemployment In Nigeria - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers Are The Main Cause Of Unemployment In Nigeria (896 Views)

Unemployment: How To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC / Why Medical Doctor Corpers Are Paid Higher In Service(nysc) / BREAKING: Corpers Are To Report To Their LG For Headcount Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corpers Are The Main Cause Of Unemployment In Nigeria by naijaclinic: 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
I am currently a serving Nysc member so I am not speaking from a bitter mind. I will try to be brief.

A friend of mine (also a corper) told this this truth but I never keyed into it till recently.

Another friend of mine is working as a doctor in a govt owned hospital where he is owed about 2 months salary. His appointment soon is going to be terminated however as the facility now intends to employ more corpers (hitherto they employed just one) and underpay them (around 55k per month).

Why do many government owned institutions not regularly conduct interviews and employ staff on full time basis? Many states haven't employed in years except few backdoor appointments. The answer is a yearly steady flow of cheap labor. This is what obtains in secondary schools (and yet we marvel at the falling educational standards). Most states simply do not employ teachers and Northern states are particularly guilty of this.

The main worry however is in big cities where big government institutions such as hospitals and ministries are becoming increasingly reliant on poorly paid poorly motivated corpers at the expense of full staff. Take Lagos for example recently advertising for 12 medical officers and lesser numbers of other health workers for its state hospitals in total (all of them). Who will take up the space of 100s of other health workers needed in these facilities? Corpers.

Unfortunately it is a temporary thing and while I have the poor paying job I shall soon mandatorily leave the system and join the unemployment pool. I am not going to propose a solution because that is akin to wanting migraines. (NB:banks were particularly guilty of using underpaid corpers to do full staff duties until they were banned, a possible solution could involve scrapping the Nysc programme itself). But know this Dear Corps member: You are part of the problem. And in a few months you shall understand.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Are The Main Cause Of Unemployment In Nigeria by nnasino(m): 5:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
na wa oo. True
Re: Corpers Are The Main Cause Of Unemployment In Nigeria by Fireson: 5:11pm On Nov 30, 2015
You spoke sense! smiley

(1) (Reply)

Photos : Kaduna Camp Carnaival Day, 2016 Batch A / Why Has NYSC Members Not Been Paid Their December 2016 Allowance ? / Make Money With ALATbyWEMA (wema Bank Mobile Account)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.