Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? (30057 Views)

The Nigerian Educational Sector Is Finished, This Is An S.S.2 Student Sheet PICS / Primary 1 To S.S.3- Did You Recieve Up To 400 Strokes Of Cane? / Can You Send Your Child To This School ? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by glossy6(f): 6:38pm On Nov 29, 2015
adaweezy:

I was 10 in JSS2 ..... not a big deal

The post said 9yrs old in JSS 2. Mine was 10yrs in JSS 2 and I was not too comfortable
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by shizzy7(f): 6:39pm On Nov 29, 2015
In J.S 3, I was 11 years old but did not know what I was doing in school till I got to Senior School.

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
ITbomb:
Minimum age to finish sec school should be 16 no matter how brilliant you are.
If the kids ever goes into federal Universities, they will have psychological issues when mixing with older, bolder, more intimidating peer group.

Best for these set is to push them into the private University where they will still be in controlled territory and focus on their academics though these set can never compete in the real world with the ones who have passed through the necessary levels of human physiological development
My elder sis is just two years older than me and she finished secondary school at 14. She had double promotion twice and my parents rejected the 3rd attempt. So know not everyone follows "the convention",and before you question the school system, her primary education was in the early 90's in from a school who's staff was mostly ghanians,liberians,Europeans and a handful of Nigerians. I even wrote and passed my entrance exams from primary 4 and got enrolled in secondary school to try and bridge the gap btw me and her and still couldn't catch up. So son,its very possible.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by daniel5711: 6:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
I graduated from secondary sch@18yrs, entered college of Education@26yrs graduated with a good result, now about to start my degree@29yrs
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 29, 2015
ITbomb:
If the kids ever goes into federal Universities, they will have psychological issues when mixing with older, bolder, more intimidating peer group.

Best for these set is to push them into the private University where they will still be in controlled territory and focus on their academics though these set can never compete in the real world with the ones who have passed through the necessary levels of human physiological development
Dude, what are you talking about? Do you know what genius mean? You need to know what "education" really is.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Karleb(m): 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2015
Whether good or bad, I'll never allow my kid attend a University if s/he's not up to 16.

Trust me, I know how it feels like to be the youngest psychologically in midst of your so called mates.

#talkingfromexprience.

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Karleb(m): 6:53pm On Nov 29, 2015
Gaidenk:

My elder sis is just two years older than me and she finished secondary school at 14. She had double promotion twice and my parents rejected the 3rd attempt. So know not everyone follows "the convention",and before you question the school system, her primary education was in the early 90's in from a school who's staff was mostly ghanians,liberians,Europeans and a handful of Nigerians. I even wrote and passed my entrance exams from primary 4 and got enrolled in secondary school to try and bridge the gap btw me and her and still couldn't catch up. So son,its very possible.

Double promotion?!?! shocked shocked

gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin

Even the worst public school in my locality don't give such!

Chai! angry sad
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by lekancaring(m): 7:06pm On Nov 29, 2015
[quote author=tennyson10 post=40510622] he probably entered at the age of 8,finished at 13 and entered uni the same year. I also had my O'level cert at 13 but didn't go to school that same year. Na lie
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by dfav: 7:11pm On Nov 29, 2015
I dont knw why some of u are against him. Dont u see the job criteria these days..

For graduate trainee:-

Min. 2.1; Msc; most not be older than 23yrs

So if one finished secondary at 16yrs plus jamb wahala then one gain admission @ 18-19yrs. Go for 4-5yrs course plus NYSC that guy should be at min.23-24yrs...

U neva talk of Msc oo... they dude is already not qualified for the next graduate trainee opportunity.

ur kids education these jet age. plz fast forward them.. jst make sure u re monitoring them... simple with God they will b fine ok.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Generalkorex(m): 7:17pm On Nov 29, 2015
I finish secondary school at the age of 14.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by enny4real23(m): 7:20pm On Nov 29, 2015
paulsir:
The world is on fastlane and the turbo of the new generation education jet is in hyper speed.i could remember a guy in my class in Uni,he was 13 while in 100 level.There is nothing bad with it,infact i wud be happy if my children are entering tertiary at 11.The youngest Professor is 24,so i see no reason why u shd limit ur folk,the faster the better.Even with d spate of No job for 27 and above mantra.
faster is not necessarily better because maturity matters. in a university, there are different kind of people your child will meet. some will have good influence on your child, some will have bad influences on your child and there will be peer pressure, if a child does not have the mental maturity to handle it he might be misled and no parental supervision, the freedom might get to his/her head

2 Likes

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Jiteshell(f): 7:36pm On Nov 29, 2015
I believe it all depends on the maturity of the child. I finished my tertiary education at 18, didn't affect me psychologically and people did not believe I was even 18 at the time due to my sense of reasoning.....from Uniben btw so nothing like private university ish

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by MsNas(f): 7:38pm On Nov 29, 2015
voltron:

like you said.. not all kids can handle it.. Parents put a lot of pressure on kids when it comes to education and the stakes are high.. school fees are astronomical and they typically want them in a university as early as possible. all these go into pushing the kid beyond his natural abilities.. the brain is young and sharp, it will adapt, but the mind won't it is still a kid
Yes. Very true. That's why I said in my last paragraph that I wouldn't encourage it. The mind might not be able to handle it, it has adverse effects on some kids. Some kids can, some can't
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by MsNas(f): 7:39pm On Nov 29, 2015
slimmy05:
H that's why you have sharp mouth tongue
Lol. Learned the hard way. cheesy
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by MsNas(f): 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2015
maasoap:
Your last paragraph which has to do with your personal experience and conviction contract your initial question which in turn proved the guy to be right.
I guess you didn't understand the grammar I used. The guy said categorically that the kid is gonna suffer. Like he was entirely sure about it.

My answer to him was that, while I don't recommend it, it's not 100% that the kid is gonna suffer it. Some do suffer, some don't (Like me). Thanks
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by wiseoneking: 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2015
glossy6:
A boy won a game at a birthday party I attended with my kids yesterday and was asked his name, age and class.

He said he is 9yrs old and in JSS 2. We were surprised. In the course of trying to get him to answer some questions relating to his school his brother came out. Guesd what? He is 10 years and in JSS 3.

They both have the same trend. How did they get there? Wait ooh, they will complete their secondary education by 13 years. What of the minimum entry age into university of 16yrs? What of psychological developments?

What is your take on this? Before now I thought that my 12yrs old child in SS1 is too fast and my husband thought of steeping her down last two years until I met those kids.
Very possible. My nephew will finnish ss3 at 14 and still enter uni before 15. But she most likely to enter uni by13yrs 8months if she makes her Gce exams. Private uni are ready for her. Brain is working sharp, so what else?

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by lepasharon(f): 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2015
Many are going fast...NOWHERE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by sweatlana: 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2015
No oooooo pls! What's the rush for?
My neice who is fifteen was just denied admission into uniport for being under age.
Now she will sit at home for one year doing nothing.
At 10 that child should be in jss1.

Give children time to grow pls.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by glossy6(f): 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2015
Rajosh:
It's very possible
at nysc orientation camp ikare-akoko, the Lady who represented platoon 1 for miss nysc batch b stream 1 is 16yrs old.

She started her degree course @ 12yrs. Waoh
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:54pm On Nov 29, 2015
This is definitely an end time speed and progression, fast cars, fast food, fast school, nd fast death everywhere ... where are we running to sefundecided
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by emperorscoon(m): 7:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
It isn't by how far.. But by how well..
Rushing kids will surely have effect on them.. You might think you are alright now but let's wait till tomorrow...
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by glossy6(f): 7:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
bigben3:
@op very wrong! A 10 yr old is not prepared psychologically n physically to be in jss1. That's an abuse

You meant to say 10yrs in JSS 3 right cos that's what we are talking about. 10yrs in JSS 1 is a past tense.
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by patlead: 8:01pm On Nov 29, 2015
paulsir:
The world is on fastlane and the turbo of the new generation education jet is in hyper speed.i could remember a guy in my class in Uni,he was 13 while in 100 level.There is nothing bad with it,infact i wud be happy if my children are entering tertiary at 11.The youngest Professor is 24,so i see no reason why u shd limit ur folk,the faster the better.Even with d spate of No job for 27 and above mantra.
faster does not neccessarily mean better. i was that age in uni. but i did not understand how things worked even though i was top of my class.finished university at 20 but still learning life's rudiment. many things that happened bck then i am just getting to understand.

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by omojeesu(m): 8:09pm On Nov 29, 2015
Life is more than being an intelligent person. Development is beyond academic proficiency. There is need also for EMOTIONAL development for each level of schooling. Legitimate parental pride in having a brilliant child may be counterproductive for the child! He may be object of bullying by mates even older juniors. Such innocent kids may be initiated into cult groups especially if in the boarding school!

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by missterious(f): 8:15pm On Nov 29, 2015
I'm 19. I'm in 500L. I've never regretted having a quick education. Maybe it's because I act older than I actually am. So it depends on the kid. But I really don't see any disadvantages in finishing school quickly & facing the real world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by tweetsme(m): 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
Emmaesty:
13 years old in 100l is not possible. when did he finish secondary school? 12? That means he entered secondary school at the age of 6 At what age did he start nursery school then.
. It is possible. they skip classes
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by adaweezy(m): 8:37pm On Nov 29, 2015
glossy6:

The post said 9yrs old in JSS 2. Mine was 10yrs in JSS 2 and I was not too comfortable
i was never comfortable
Always came second to the last
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2015
I was actually 11 years in JSS3 it wasnt easy at all, most especially being bullied by your mates I also repeated SS2 but right naw (18 years) am in 300level in a federal university so cool but the stress is much. If I hadn't repeated the class I would have been in my final year right now
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by MzDeeb(f): 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2015
ITbomb:

In my own opinion, i think you are wrong in saying that. I know of some people that graduated from secondary school at the age of 14 or 15 years and are far more matured in all ramifications than the older ones. Not only in books.

Infact, you cannot ride them cos i went to a boarding school, instead they will be the one to ride you sef.
It was in ss3 we got to know their ages, by that time we all were surprised because they actually didn't behave like their age. They were so strong, wise n matured psychologically than the seniors.

So, you see, age is just a number. God blessed some people with wisdom, knowledge that u can't start to phantom.

And who says they can never compete in the real world- i think you have not really met great people. There are some people that are so mature that u won't believe it when they tell you their real age. People meet them for advise.

You should never judge people by their age and stop making generalising.

I understand what you are trying to say- esp for those rich kids who are intelligent and brilliant, but nothing more outside that. But for those kids that went to federal schools they tend to be more matured

In conclusion, i think the right thing is for parents to study their child n assess him/her overall to actually know if he is just good @ books n not yet psychologically matured.
In a situation where the guy is just brilliant n nothing else, they shouldn't allow him have a double promotion, so as to mingle with people of his age group well to know how blend well n grow up rightly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by shigo20(m): 8:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
tennyson10:
. Who told you the result isn't usable that same year. After I got my result in ss1 @13,I still had to complete my second school nd I was still d youngest graduant in my set. Even though I had to take a break after then and later balanced with the normal entry age,my sister didn't and she would be graduated from the university at 18,and now she's doing very fine. .now tell me what you mean by suffering,except if you think age is a function of general intelligence.
if u did psychology in ur higher institution u should be able 2 know what is meant by developmental stage coz it very important 2 d growth of human
Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by dabigjoe6(m): 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2015
africandictator:
i see nothing wrong in leaving school at a tender age. The young man is 10 years old and he is in jss 3, this means he would be writting his waec exams and graduating by age 13.the same applies to his younger brother My advise to the parents of both boys is that since most of the universites in nigeria entry dictates that the child must be 16 not later than october 31st on the year of admission to be cleared. For the three years they would be at home, they could learn a skill, do cambrigde A levels or ican examinations. As per the skills i would recommend knowledge of ict or fashion designing.
same is happening to me now. even if i had passed my jamb and post jamb i would not be granted admission causing me to do direct entry

1 Like

Re: Is It Alright For A 10 Years Old Child To Be In J S S 3? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 29, 2015
Karleb:

Double promotion?!?! shocked shocked

gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin

Even the worst public school in my locality don't give such!

Chai! angry sad
Awww sorry. I know the standard of education has been on a decline in Nigeria,I'm sure you have never heard of such thing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Runs Around In Wild Excitement After Seeing His Results (Pics/Video) / Juju Scare In LASU / DSS Smashes Prof. Abdulkadir Mohammed's Car Windscreen, ASUU Heads To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.