Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? (2265 Views)

What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... / My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. / Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 8:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
Hello guys I know women are d ones generally accepted to change surnames but here I am eagerly wishing to change my Surname. I came from a muslim background but my Mum raised us as Christians.

My surname has always been a subject of controversy as Muslims get happy wen they first hear my name only to hate me afterwards wen they find out I'm a Christian. Also it may have cost me a job in Yenagoa wen I did so well yet couldn't get d job. Christians also see me as incomplete.

For this reason I've decided to change my surname coupled with the bad image Islam has in d public presently cos I don't wanna end up as a victim of circumstance.

Unfortunately I've been tardy about it cos all my certificates has my Surname on it and my International passport and I know d way Nigeria has wahala in all ds kind of things but I urgently feel like changing it so my life can be a bit easier.

I'll like gurus in da house to help me out on how to go about it without compromising the integrity of my certificates and passports. Thanx!
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by ify84(m): 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2015
Very simple.. . Change your name, go to a magistrate court and pay 500 naira (actual cost, 25 naira) and swear affidavit.

Then visit a newspaper, pay 2k and advertise ur new name...

Then, use the new name on Facebook and Twitter and ehmmm, nairaland...

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Holywizard: 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2015
i know that they have disowned you for raping ur biological sis...
Bad blood...smh
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 10:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
Holywizard:

Bad blood...smh

Oloribirku eniyan ni eh a.k.a bastaarrd somebody na hin you be. cheesy
Holywizard:

Bad blood...smh

Oloribirku eniyan ni eh a.k.a bastaarrd somebody na hin you be.
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
ify84:
Very simple.. . Change your name, go to a magistrate court and pay 500 naira (actual cost, 25 naira) and swear affidavit.

Then visit a newspaper, pay 2k and advertise ur new name...

Then, use the new name on Facebook and Twitter and ehmmm, nairaland...

Thanx bro but What about how I'm gonna scale through the consequences it will have on my certificates and licences to practise. How about d name on my Intl passport. These issues are d hurdles I think of scaling when I'm tryna change d name.
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by jaymichael(m): 12:44am On Dec 01, 2015
lebete3000:
Hello guys I know women are d ones generally accepted to change surnames but here I am eagerly wishing to change my Surname. I came from a muslim background but my Mum raised us as Christians.

My surname has always been a subject of controversy as Muslims get happy wen they first hear my name only to hate me afterwards wen they find out I'm a Christian. Also it may have cost me a job in Yenagoa wen I did so well yet couldn't get d job. Christians also see me as incomplete.

For this reason I've decided to change my surname coupled with the bad image Islam has in d public presently cos I don't wanna end up as a victim of circumstance.

Unfortunately I've been tardy about it cos all my certificates has my Surname on it and my International passport and I know d way Nigeria has wahala in all ds kind of things but I urgently feel like changing it so my life can be a bit easier.

I'll like gurus in da house to help me out on how to go about it without compromising the integrity of my certificates and passports. Thanx!
I don't know o! I ll advice you try to see a lawyer. Doesnt have to be an expensive one, maybe a friend, family, etc who can advise you regarding the normal process especially as it affects your certificates, international passport etc.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by SAMBARRY: 1:57am On Dec 01, 2015
grin

And how do you know that? grin
Holywizard:

Bad blood...smh
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Holywizard: 7:26am On Dec 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
grin

And how do you know that? grin
y would sum1 at his right senses try to change his surname?
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by SAMBARRY: 11:20am On Dec 01, 2015
Holywizard:
y would sum1 at his right senses try to change his surname?
read the second paragraph of his thread. His reasons are there
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Holywizard: 2:14pm On Dec 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
read the second paragraph of his thread. His reasons are there
yes....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by pickabeau1: 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2015
I have seen many xtians with names like Yusuf, Ahmed

Even Northern xtians and I don't see any issues

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 12:44am On Dec 02, 2015
pickabeau1:
I have seen many xtians with names like Yusuf, Ahmed

Even Northern xtians and I don't see any issues

undecided undecided

Hmmmm....but I'm not a Northerner. There's a huge difference between South & d North.
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Bloomingbud(f): 8:38am On Dec 02, 2015
lebete3000:

Hmmmm....but I'm not a Northerner. There's a huge difference between South & d North.

I don't think you have any problem o, there are Christians both in the north and south that bear Muslim names and it doesn't change anything. Considering the stress and explanation you will keep giving to people I'll suggest you just leave the name. IMO.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Richy4(m): 9:05am On Dec 02, 2015
lebete3000:

Thanx bro but What about how I'm gonna scale through the consequences it will have on my certificates and licences to practise. How about d name on my Intl passport. These issues are d hurdles I think of scaling when I'm tryna change d name.

Simple, there is something called affidavits, ask how it is done in Nigeria. when you get it, any time you are submitting a document that has the former name, just put it. It must accompany it. all the certificate that bears the former name must marry the affidavits. But first you have to have the copy of the news paper that has the change of your new name and present it to the lawyer or who ever that is doing it, in order to obtain the affidavits.

As for your international passport, the last time I checked, that was the easiest thing especially with Nigerian passport.
Just go to immigration website fill in the name you like, No one will ask for any prove. and when the passport comes out, it is that name.
every simple.

Licence , very simple. change the licence with the new name on it. what is the big deal?
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 10:13am On Dec 02, 2015
Richy4:

Simple, there is something called affidavits, ask how it is done in Nigeria. when you get it, any time you are submitting a document that has the former name, just put it. It must accompany it. all the certificate that bears the former name must marry the affidavits. But first you have to have the copy of the news paper that has the change of your new name and present it to the lawyer or who ever that is doing it, in order to obtain the affidavits.

As for your international passport, the last time I checked, that was the easiest thing especially with Nigerian passport.
Just go to immigration website fill in the name you like, No one will ask for any prove. and when the passport comes out, it is that name.
every simple.

Licence , very simple. change the licence with the new name on it. what is the big deal?

I've already gotten my intl passport dat has the name I wanna change on it and d licence I was talking about js my practising licence.
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by lebete3000: 10:24am On Dec 02, 2015
Bloomingbud:

I don't think you have any problem o, there are Christians both in the north and south that bear Muslim names and it doesn't change anything. Considering the stress and explanation you will keep giving to people I'll suggest you just leave the name. IMO.

I feel you tho but I'm looking at d bigger picture where even an interviewer in Ondo state couldn't hide his frown when he called my name and nobody with a Muslim name got a job in an interview I went for in Yenagoa. Also there's a huge discrimination going on in intl countries as they're scared of admitting muslims in dr country so one will get victimized even if one's not a muslim.

And about Hausa Christians and Muslims bearing same names I've worked in d North before and they know any Southerner bearing a muslim name must have changed his religion cos Yusuf, Ibrahim, Abubakar etc are normal typical names for every Hausa but when a Southerner bears it den he is either a Muslim or he's a convert.
Re: I'm A Man And I Wanna Change My Surname. How? by Richy4(m): 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2015
lebete3000:

I've already gotten my intl passport dat has the name I wanna change on it and d licence I was talking about js my practising licence.

You are making the whole thing look like a big deal. OK let me tell you how mine happened.

Apart from my surname, I have three names. 1 was English and the other 2 heavy local names. (I guess my parent where really happy they got me and they were throwing heavy names without considering where I will settle in future. but luckily they handed down 1 English name)

My First degree certificate and passport got those two local names because the English was silent except when my siblings wants to pick a fight or I did something wrong and they will call the names in full.

when I went for my second degree abroad, that was when my nightmare started. No one could pronounce my name. to make matters worse, my surname was 9 alphabets. Each time they are having an attendant call and the lecturer keeps calm, looking at that paper, I will know that he or she was struggling to call or pronounce my name. and I will say present or yea. without him or her finishing and they will all laugh.

So when I was about to graduate, they issue a memo to all graduating students on how they want their names to appear on the certificate. I quickly use that opportunity to put my English name in place of one of the local name. so my certificate has my surname, English middle name and a local name. Every one in my place of work knows me with my English name. no one calls the other names because I ask them not to murder my name.

As for my passport, I went online fill the forms, make the payment on line as usual.The day they schedule for my appointment , I went to embassy, took the pic. and my passport came out within 15days. no big deal

So I think you have to change your passport if you want it to be in line with your new name. and do not make an issue out of it bro, it is not a big deal. no one will ask u a prove for anything. what ever name you fill on line is what is gonna come out.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Polite For My Girlfriend's Mum To Ask Me About My Income? / Help... I'm Scared!! / Her Responsibility, My Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.