Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:24 PM

Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger (601 Views)

Why You Must Do Keyword Research Before Writing An Article As A Blogger / 16 Benefits Of Dating A Blogger -9jaflaver / Read This If You Are A Blogger Or Want To Be A Blogger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger by tierthefirst: 2:23am On Dec 01, 2015
Let's face it, since Linda Ikeji bought a house at Banana Island, the number of Nigerian bloggers has sky-rocketed. Everybody wants to lay their hands on some of that sweet, sweet blogging money and, if not buy the plot beside her, at least be able to rent a flat at 1004. So the number of new blogs has at least tripled, meaning Nigerians now have to suffer even more half baked, plagiarized content than ever before. Well, before you jump into that pool, you might want to slam on the brakes first. Before I start, let me just point out that I'm not a bad-belle person or someone that wants to pour sand-sand in anybody's garri. Just a realist that wants anybody who wants to start blogging here in Nigeria to know exactly what they're getting into and what their chances of success are. So here goes;

You Probably Didn't Plan For It: Of a huge percentage of bloggers I've come across in the past one year, at least half didn't plan to be bloggers this time last year. And of the number that have their own blogs, a huge majority did not (and still haven't) give any real thought as to what content they would post on their blog, what their niche is, who their target audience is/are or what parameters they would measure the success of their blogs by. For most Nigerian bloggers, this is the thought process to blogging;
i) Start blog
ii) Make money

Anybody who has blogged for an extended period would tell you this is not how it works. You don't just jump in the pool before learning how t swim. Like success in any other field, you need to plan to succeed as a blogger - and this one crucial part is the part most Nigerian bloggers skip.

You Are Probably Not Skilled Enough For It: "Hey, wollup!" you might say. "Isn't blogging one of those things that you don't need to go to school and get a certificate to do? How come you're talking about skill again?". Well, here's one other thing about blogging: you need to know what you're doing to be successful at blogging. Too many Nigerian bloggers think blogging is just writing anything, anyhow; coming up with ridiculous topics for posts (that are misleading at least half the time) and generally just filling up the Nigerian blogosphere with total nonsense. Well, you might need to wollup too! Consider some of the best bloggers. They don't just write anyhow - they write pretty well. They have a style that appeals to their readers and they have at least a working knowledge of whatever they're blogging about. A lot of Nigerian bloggers write at random, about things they know nothing about (and rarely ever bother to do research), have no style and know next to nothing about presenting content. It doesn't take long before people figure out that you're not telling them anything meaningful; and at that point they're gone from your blog, never to return.
Re: Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger by tierthefirst: 2:39am On Dec 01, 2015
You Don't Take It Seriously Enough: Show of hands - how many people are willing to spend money on their blog to keep it going, even when you're not getting hits? Another show of hands - how many people have ever spent money on their blog? Fact is, for those who hope to make money from blogging, then you have to take it as seriously as any other business and devote your time, energy AND MONEY to ensuring your blog succeeds. Too many Nigerians think "oh, I can start a blog on Blogger or Wordpress and start making millions". It doesn't work like that. Like any business, a commercial blog is an investment. You put little into it, you get little out of it. If you're an entertainment blogger and you're not willing to stay up at night to get the latest breaking news (because, let's face it, most news breaks while the world sleeps) so you can be one of the first to blog about it, then you probably aren't taking blogging seriously enough. And if you don't take your blogging seriously, nobody will.

You Follow An Already Bloated Trend: I think I can make bold to say that of every ten new Nigerian blogs, at least half are entertainment/celebrity/gossip/everything blogs a la Linda Ikeji's blog. That niche is already over-saturated. If you'll make any success in it, you'll have to be different in a very remarkable way. Unfortunately, most Nigerian bloggers are not different. Or remarkable. The fact is that, Nigerians know they'll most likely get all the latest - and authentic - celebrity an entertainment news on Linda Ikeji's blog. The chances they'll come looking for yours is practically minute - especially when you ALSO get your news from Linda Ikeji's blog. IF you want to succeed as a Nigerian blogger, you will need to be different and stand out - something most Nigerian bloggers aren't.
Re: Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger by tierthefirst: 2:46am On Dec 01, 2015
Blogging Really Isn't That Profitable In Nigeria: For all the blogs we have in Nigeria, you would think we have a small pantheon of super rich bloggers. Yet ask most bloggers who their blogging role model is and only one name comes up; Linda Ikeji. Does it mean she's the only really good blogger in Nigeria? Nope. Far from. There are lots of Nigerian bloggers who are amazing in their own way in their own niches. The fact is just that she's one of the few that have made something out of blogging. Most of the other rich or semi-rich bloggers either have day jobs or business that they do while they blog on the side - and it's those jobs and businesses that bring in the big bucks for most of them, not the blogging. You might just want to keep that in mind.

1 Like

Re: Why You Most Likely Won't Succeed As A Blogger by emmalexdboy(m): 8:59am On Dec 01, 2015
nice one,OP

(1) (Reply)

10 Monetization Styles To Apply When Adsense Disapproved Your Application Again. / Job For Backend Developers: Contact Me If U Can Develop Site Like Printivo.com / Responsive Blog With Godaddy Hosting And Adsense Account For SALE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.